Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 06-10-2018 12:16 AM

“Mid - career “ entrant

Hello, curious... I’m a second upper with slightly under 4 years experience in corporate sector.
Graduated with double degree from smu. What would likely be my starting pay as untrained GEO2? After NIE will jump up? If so, to how much? Female here... my corporate sector experience is somewhat relevant in the sense I was lucky to be given managerial duties for 2+ years so I had to teach and train a team of people... thanks!

Unregistered 06-10-2018 12:24 AM

Moe pri sch teacher vs private sector

Question to all individuals who have taught in pri school AND worked in private sector before:

which you prefer and why? pros n cons for each?

Is it grass always greener on other side or is one side really better based on ur experience. Interested to know!

Because when one side say it’s better, I cannot tell if the person has tried both sides to comment.. :)

I want to join pri sch teaching from private sector so I wanna hear ur views :)
For me, it’s abt long term career stability, and fulfilling career. Salary wise... won’t go hungry la hoh?

Unregistered 07-10-2018 07:42 AM

[QUOTE=Unregistered;110614]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110606)
This might be one reason nothing's been happening - I believe you need to be at least GEO3 in order to formally take on appointment (used to be GEO1A1; I assume it has mapped to 3).

Yes, I believe so. Oh wells, I shall continue my work consistency. Thank you for enlightening me.

In the latest HR circular, one need to be at least GEO4 before one can go for KP interview. But if you are of lower sub grade, so continue to do well as it will help push up your CEP, which subsequently help faster promotion, thus earlier opportunity to take appt.

Some Ps might not want to give internal appt if you can't go for interview due to either sub grade or Scholl quota. So fret not and find chance to talk to your P if you are keen.

Unregistered 09-10-2018 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=Unregistered;110708]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110614)

In the latest HR circular, one need to be at least GEO4 before one can go for KP interview. But if you are of lower sub grade, so continue to do well as it will help push up your CEP, which subsequently help faster promotion, thus earlier opportunity to take appt.

Some Ps might not want to give internal appt if you can't go for interview due to either sub grade or Scholl quota. So fret not and find chance to talk to your P if you are keen.

Thank you for the info. I didn't know about this circular until u said so.

Considering MA 09-10-2018 07:26 PM

Part-time Master’s while teaching

I’m thinking of applying for a part-time MA programme unrelated to teaching. I have zero interest in doing an education-related MA.

Has anyone pursued this with a full teaching load before? I am concerned it will be sifficult to cope.

I do not plan to disclose my MA studies to my school as my principal will definitely not approve of this. She is already very unsupportive of colleagues asking for 90% load due to stress from part-time MA studies at NIE.

Unregistered 09-10-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Considering MA (Post 110768)
I’m thinking of applying for a part-time MA programme unrelated to teaching. I have zero interest in doing an education-related MA.

Has anyone pursued this with a full teaching load before? I am concerned it will be sifficult to cope.

I do not plan to disclose my MA studies to my school as my principal will definitely not approve of this. She is already very unsupportive of colleagues asking for 90% load due to stress from part-time MA studies at NIE.

I am also thinking of applying a MA not related to Education and my P said it will be better if I were to take the MA pertaining to my teaching subjects. I do see a resemblances between us :)

Unregistered 09-10-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110771)
I am also thinking of applying a MA not related to Education and my P said it will be better if I were to take the MA pertaining to my teaching subjects. I do see a resemblances between us :)

Tell P lifelong learning. Expanding one horizon thru different subjects make a teacher more well rounded. This has tangible benefits , will contribute immensely to the teaching of own core subject and enrich student experience. Must not be so narrow minded. Plus fact is that out of your own pocket, not moe sponsored course.

Unregistered 10-10-2018 01:40 PM

Is it possible to go for full-time Masters courses not related to education, but related to your teaching subject?

Unregistered 12-10-2018 02:01 PM

Adult learning in SUSS

Hi, I would like to check if I'm a teacher and I'm interested in a Master degree offered by SUSS on Adult learning, do you think it would be wise for me to take? It is part of the lifelong learning initiatives by SG. I'm an educator currently teaching primary level.

singsongplaymj 14-10-2018 01:22 AM

[QUOTE=Unregistered;110604]
Quote:

Originally Posted by singsongplaymj (Post 110545)

I am not a grade 3 yet because I just completed my part time studies in suss. There is a time where I consulted P about my post grad options and he hinted that it would be good to go back to NIE to take up courses on Padegogy or curiculumn planning in that case. My RO have been saying I am doing well for my grade.

I am not sure what you meant by your P hinted that it will be good for you to go back to NIE to deepen your pedagogy in subject content and curriculum planning. If you are doing ok in school and considering that you are relatively new to the service, just keep up yhe good work in school.

You will likely be pushed to go for interview only after you have been promoted to geo 3.