Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 13-07-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108835)
Hi all,
I just went for an untrained teacher interview yesterday.
Female, aged 50, have 26 years of media advertising work experience.
Last few job positions held are Director, business Director, Strategy Director.
Decided to switch to teaching as I love to work with children and have passion in teaching
And founded a tuition centre and taught all primary level for all subjects for 6 years previously.
Shortlisted to teach primary English and Maths.

Before the interview, we were requested to submit some documents according to a given checklist. I followed this list strictly and did not think I could submit additional documents over and above what was requested in the list.

But the officer checking the documents asked me if I have any additional documents to submit.

My questions are:
- If I submit additional documents eg previous job appointment with offered salary, would it actually help MOE to determine the salary offered to us eventually? Obviously all of us have commitment on fixed housing loan, car loans, children’s education etc etc.
- Will this increase my chances of getting the higher end of untrained teacher salary? Understand that MOE HR has a salary scale to follow.

Appreciate if there is any MOE HR here advise me or any past interviewees could share their experiences too.

Grateful for any help/advice.

Confused

I don't understand. You founded a tuition centre and now going back moe now? Don't make sense. We are trying to leave now.

Unregistered 13-07-2018 04:45 PM

MOE revert time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108832)
It will take up to 8 weeks for MOE to revert to you if you are shortlisted for an interview.
I got my interview notification within 3 weeks of application.

Hi, are you referring to open posting notification? Any idea long does it take for HQ to contact you for interview? Thanks in advance <3

Unregistered 14-07-2018 09:25 AM

Untrained Teacher - mid career

Hi,

"It will take up to 8 weeks for MOE to revert to you if you are shortlisted for an interview.
I got my interview notification within 3 weeks of application."
- The above is not referring to HQ interview, it is for untrained teacher's interview at MOE. Sorry for not being clearer earlier

"I don't understand. You founded a tuition centre and now going back moe now? Don't make sense. We are trying to leave now."
- tuition centre is hard work, laborious and very competitive. I was not a MOE teacher when i founded the tuition centre. Also weekends and weekday nights are peak period which is not ideal for family life
- now trying to be a MOE teacher
- why are you/most teachers leaving MOE?

Thanks.

ridhwan1820 14-07-2018 08:49 PM

I understand that expected salary amount can be a tricky thing to put. But i am wondering how MOE HR compute salary. Say for instance we have 2 fresh candidates who are 1st class honors but the first candidate puts 3.2K as expected salary, while the second candidate puts 3.7k as expected salary. I am aware that there is a salary range for each honor class. But will MOE take advantage of this situation and give the first and second candidate 3.2K and 3.7k respectively? Or is this fixed? example, all first class honors with no experience will earn 3.7k, subsequently second upper will earn 3.4k etc - fixed as you would like to call it.

Does this apply to other goverment sectors also? I have heard of a gundu case whereby a masters applicant had put in 3.5k as expected salary for an ICA position and he was offered as such. LOL.

Does anybody know how much can a male singaporean earn as a fresh untrained teacher during the PDGE teaching stint with the following resume - first class honors from NTU/NUS, with no work experience, completed NS.

Unregistered 18-07-2018 09:11 AM

Does anyone have any idea about being a teacher in AST?

1. What is the jobscope like?

2. Is the salary scheme still the same as MOE teachers in schools?

3. How do we apply for a transfer to AST?

As far as I know, they are usually Master Teachers or equivalent.

HQ worker 18-07-2018 10:41 AM

1. In a (oversimplified) nutshell, teacher training. Conducting workshops, consultations for schools, etc.

2. They're still EOs - you can probably think of them as being HOD/VP equivalent. I'm guessing around SEO2 or 3.

3. To be a Master Teacher these days, you'll need to move up the teaching track - first as a Senior Teacher in school, then as a Lead Teacher (usually supporting the cluster), then be appointed as a Master Teacher (supporting the nation).

Honestly it sounds like you might still have a long way to go, right now. An alternative that will help you get a better idea of the work involved is to apply to be an Academy Officer during APEX. The AOs essentially support the Master Teachers in their work. This is considered a HQ posting (typically SEO1 level) so you'll still need to meet certain requirements, pass interview, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108939)
Does anyone have any idea about being a teacher in AST?

1. What is the jobscope like?

2. Is the salary scheme still the same as MOE teachers in schools?

3. How do we apply for a transfer to AST?

As far as I know, they are usually Master Teachers or equivalent.

Unregistered 19-07-2018 01:24 PM

Qse

Does it affect a school's KPs if a large number of staff attempt to post out during APEX? Asking because there are a lot in my school and our QSE grade was a D...

Unregistered 19-07-2018 06:01 PM

Sad Teacher

Hi! Can I check if the Principal can block a teacher from transferring out during Open Posting if the teacher has already passed their interview? Thank you.

Unregistered 19-07-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108978)
Hi! Can I check if the Principal can block a teacher from transferring out during Open Posting if the teacher has already passed their interview? Thank you.

No. They can’t. At most, they can only hold you back for 1 semester. Once you have accepted the offer on HRMS, Principals cannot block your new posting. They can only delay your posting.

Unregistered 19-07-2018 06:35 PM

Sad Teacher

omg ILY! This just made my day.