Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 11-02-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32783)
I went to find mp at meet the people session to help me get in teacher job. For your info I have a degree from nus and I have passed the IELTS test.

You know what happened? The assistant at there assisted me with my mp letter. The fcuking best part is he tell me to go teach private school.. Pay is higher and the welfare is better can even go overseas to enrich my private teaching career.. I was thinking what the fcuk! I am there to seek help to get in moe and you are telling me to go teach private!?!?

you look at your expletive ridden rant, thank god you're not MOE teacher. i'm not saying teacher cannot swear, but this is in public for everyone to read. goodness gracious.

Unregistered 26-02-2013 01:11 AM

I realised most applicants are applying with local uni degree. I want to clarify if MOE does consider overseas degree as well, with or without honours.

Unregistered 26-02-2013 07:27 AM

Definitely, as long as it is a legitimate overseas degree, where you physically flew over to the foreign country to study for it. Certainly not those distance learning or external degree (e.g. MDIS, SIM, PSB)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33536)
I realised most applicants are applying with local uni degree. I want to clarify if MOE does consider overseas degree as well, with or without honours.

Unregistered 03-03-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waitingwaiting (Post 33160)
Hi. yes, i'm local grad with honours, still no news from them yet, called and ask, they said still processing.

when did you apply? any news from them yet?

Hi have you received any follow ups from them? I called up and they always tell me the same thing (ie. processing). I applied in early jan and got a SMS to send in my transcripts after a few days, since then it's just waiting and waiting~

Unregistered 06-03-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33770)
Hi have you received any follow ups from them? I called up and they always tell me the same thing (ie. processing). I applied in early jan and got a SMS to send in my transcripts after a few days, since then it's just waiting and waiting~

As far as i know, local uni is the lowest they may accept. There are many overseas uni, schools like harvard, yale are above local uni, but many o/s uni are lower in their eyes. Schools like uni melb, sydney, or whatever. The list goes on. You know it for yourself. Is your degree 'bought'? If it is, forget it.

Dayer 07-03-2013 06:31 PM

You can try your skills in online tutoring business.

Unregistered 08-03-2013 03:57 PM

Yeah, my Coll who went to Perth for her degree had this problem. Moe didn't recognise her degree. She had to take the dip ed and then bA. They prefer local uni unless you graduated from a prestigious overseas uni.

undergrad 14-03-2013 12:23 AM

Hi,

I'm a local undergrad in science, thinking of taking up the teaching bond.

I've been giving tuition for quite some time and i find teaching enjoyable. I know it's early to sign before i graduate but it doesn't make financial sense to join MOE after i graduate. You see, MOE sponsors generously for studies and even pays for allowance. That translates to about $60k + of remuneration for four years of education in exchange for four years of bond.

I came from a humble background, my dad is always looking forward to retirement and i hope to ease his burden so that he can retire earlier.

As far as i enjoy teaching, I hope that this career doesn't bring me to a dead end. I understand that teaching has 80% admin work which i'm not sure if i like. I'd like to ask about the future prospects.

Do teachers lose out when they decided to join private after their bonds? Is 28 years old too late to start climbing the corporate ladder? Is it possible to take a masters while i'm serving the teaching bond?

Urgently needing some answers as application closes this friday. :(

Unregistered 14-03-2013 04:05 AM

Sounds good. If u have that bit of passion, regardless of how little it is, go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by undergrad (Post 34200)
Hi,

I've been giving tuition for quite some time and i find teaching enjoyable. I know it's early to sign before i graduate but it doesn't make financial sense to join MOE after i graduate. You see, MOE sponsors generously for studies and even pays for allowance. That translates to about $60k + of remuneration for four years of education in exchange for four years of bond.

I came from a humble background, my dad is always looking forward to retirement and i hope to ease his burden so that he can retire earlier.

As far as i enjoy teaching, I hope that this career doesn't bring me to a dead end. I understand that teaching has 80% admin work which i'm not sure if i like. I'd like to ask about the future prospects.

Do teachers lose out when they decided to join private after their bonds? Is 28 years old too late to start climbing the corporate ladder? Is it possible to take a masters while i'm serving the teaching bond?

Unregistered 14-03-2013 09:49 AM

bite the bullet and take the leap of faith.

most jobs suck anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by undergrad (Post 34200)
Hi,