Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 21-09-2016 07:24 PM

Is it possible to take part-time masters while teaching? I understand there is a list of approved masters, but there are some criteria like minimum 2 years of teaching etc. What if you want to study something else by yourself? Need whose approval?

Unregistered 23-09-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90590)
Is it possible to take part-time masters while teaching? I understand there is a list of approved masters, but there are some criteria like minimum 2 years of teaching etc. What if you want to study something else by yourself? Need whose approval?

It's possible. There's some criteria, which I can't recall now. You'd probably need the P's approval, although I have heard of cases where the teachers didn't declare they were taking the Masters. But you'd have exams, and might need to take leave, so the P would know eventually.

I'm also interested to know actually, and what kind of masters programme do teachers take. Most teachers simply take masters from NIE, which I would not be very interested in.

Unregistered 23-09-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90642)
It's possible. There's some criteria, which I can't recall now. You'd probably need the P's approval, although I have heard of cases where the teachers didn't declare they were taking the Masters. But you'd have exams, and might need to take leave, so the P would know eventually.

I'm also interested to know actually, and what kind of masters programme do teachers take. Most teachers simply take masters from NIE, which I would not be very interested in.

I took a masters degree in chemistry at NTU and there were a secondary school teachers who was in my cohort.

She subsequently quit teaching though to help her husband biz once we graduated even though she had been a teacher for more than 10 years.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 23-09-2016 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90590)

It is definitely possible. You can either take it through PDL (Professional Development Leave) subjected to Principal's approval, or take it on your own and apply leave as and when you need to.

If you're thinking of part-time, my recommendation is that you talk to the P about it. After all, the P needs to approve your leave for exams anyway. Usually my friends who take part-time masters that is outside of NIE, are just waiting out their bond while getting a masters, so that they will have a master's qualification when they leave service.

However, if you are thinking of moving to the leadership track (superscale etc.) or HQ positions, you should consider Masters offered by NIE, as that will probably escalate you faster.

Unregistered 24-09-2016 09:59 AM

Oct Promotion

Is there a promotion exercise in Oct? If there is by when will we know if we are promoted or not?

Unregistered 24-09-2016 11:35 PM

There are officers who get promoted in Oct, but these are usually made known by Apr together with the other Apr promotions. I remember getting a letter (through Principal) that basically said something to the extent of "you will get promoted this Oct unless you screw things up".

So if you haven't heard anything by now, think you'll have to wait for next year…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90661)
Is there a promotion exercise in Oct? If there is by when will we know if we are promoted or not?

Unregistered 26-09-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90679)
There are officers who get promoted in Oct, but these are usually made known by Apr together with the other Apr promotions. I remember getting a letter (through Principal) that basically said something to the extent of "you will get promoted this Oct unless you screw things up".

So if you haven't heard anything by now, think you'll have to wait for next year…

Hmmm so mean those unique cases that got two promotions in a year would have known them both in apr?

Unregistered 27-09-2016 07:19 AM

No double promotions for individual officers. What I mean is that every year, all promotees (whether getting in Apr or Oct) should know by Apr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90703)
Hmmm so mean those unique cases that got two promotions in a year would have known them both in apr?

Unregistered 29-09-2016 02:07 PM

allied educator application

Hi
I have applied for MOE allied educator and right now I am waiting for interview outcome. May I know last time how did MOE inform you of the offer? is it through sms or email ?THank you !
BW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Densher (Post 48016)
Hi,

I'll be graduating from UniSim in a few months time. I major and minor in teaching subjects cos I intend to apply to be a moe teacher.

I actually applied for a teacher post few years ago but was rejected and applied for the allied educator position instead. I was selected and worked as an AED for 4 years.

I suppose with a degree and 4 years of teaching experience, I would be a better candidate for their selection. Besides, I had experience setting exam papers and conducting independent classroom teaching in the school.

However, this is already the 5th week and I haven't received any calls. I am really disheartened.

What should I do?

Densher

Unregistered 01-10-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90725)
No double promotions for individual officers. What I mean is that every year, all promotees (whether getting in Apr or Oct) should know by Apr.

Promotion increment is up on Pac Gov