Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 15-06-2020 03:48 PM

Inventment banking jump to CS.. prepare for a very heavy paycut. CS is not as well paid as private la..

CS is known for stability, not to make big bucks

Unregistered 15-06-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137265)
fso roles are very siong

tread with caution

Serving FSO here. Don't want to scare anyone but our lifestyle is pretty much 8.30-12am (or 1-2am for the more intense Directorates) 6-7 days a week.

Unregistered 15-06-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137230)
Hey guys, how impt is the starting salary for one's first job? Female fch from nus. HR is offering around 3.3k mnthly basic pay for a mx-track position in a ministry. I really like the job; the only caveat is the relatively low starting pay.

Have also received other offers paying significantly better in the high 4k range at other ministries, but i think i might excel better in the former position. Is it worth it to sacrifice a 1k difference in starting pay for better career advancement prospects?

If you want a life - go for the former. If you don't mind slogging your guts out, and have a thick skin AND don't mind being pretty much abused (being shouted at on the phone at 10-11pm when you've been working since 8am, being royally screwed for not responding to an email in the middle of the night by 7am, pick the latter). It's not a bed of roses.

Unregistered 16-06-2020 01:15 AM

Hi, I am a graduating from NUS computer engineering with second upper and second major in design. What are the chances of getting into DSO and DSTA, and what would be the expected pay for software engineering role currently?

Unregistered 16-06-2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138436)
Hi, I am a graduating from NUS computer engineering with second upper and second major in design. What are the chances of getting into DSO and DSTA, and what would be the expected pay for software engineering role currently?

4.9 for 2nd upper I think. Pre covid. Dso/data pays pretty decent.

Unregistered 16-06-2020 06:22 AM

Hi I saw MFA being name-dropped here and there. Anyone can share how much they pay, salary/career progression, allowances (esp since they get posted overseas), bonuses, etc...

Thanks in advance

Unregistered 16-06-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138452)
Hi I saw MFA being name-dropped here and there. Anyone can share how much they pay, salary/career progression, allowances (esp since they get posted overseas), bonuses, etc...

Thanks in advance

The information is available throughout this thread, and if you’re incapable of finding this then perhaps you should not join MFA.

Unregistered 16-06-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138458)
The information is available throughout this thread, and if you’re incapable of finding this then perhaps you should not join MFA.

Hey no need to be edgy. Like I said, most information about MFA in this thread are only mentioned in passing or are limited to fresh grad offers. Even then, I think it would be nice to see if that has been impacted by Covid. Don't think anyone has gone into detail on their bonus structure and allowance structure which I assume would make up a very significant portion of their package. Nor has anyone gone into detail of what the progression would be like which would be very valuable seeing as most fso dont even survive to their 2nd/3rd year.

Alot has changed since Covid and more sharing wouldn't hurt. Asking for an update and more clarity shouldn't warrant such a response. Isn't that the point of this thread?

Unregistered 16-06-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138499)
Hey no need to be edgy. Like I said, most information about MFA in this thread are only mentioned in passing or are limited to fresh grad offers. Even then, I think it would be nice to see if that has been impacted by Covid. Don't think anyone has gone into detail on their bonus structure and allowance structure which I assume would make up a very significant portion of their package. Nor has anyone gone into detail of what the progression would be like which would be very valuable seeing as most fso dont even survive to their 2nd/3rd year.

Alot has changed since Covid and more sharing wouldn't hurt. Asking for an update and more clarity shouldn't warrant such a response. Isn't that the point of this thread?

Bottom line, you get the best salaries and the highest prestige in the whole CS, but you get the most elitist, most unreasonable and nasty people. You also get some of the worst work-life balance (if any).

They only hire about 20 a year and they’re usually of a certain calibre and look. Of course given the intensity of the environment, people have quit in a matter of weeks. It really takes a certain kind of person to join and remain.

16 hour days, 6 days a week are a norm. Prepare to work on weekends, late nights and miss family events. Prepare to be scolded for minor things you have never bothered with your entire life.

Unregistered 16-06-2020 09:02 PM

hi all. just want to check - how is merit increment calculated?

is it based on a % of your latest gross salary or is it a fixed amount increment?

appreciate any info thks