Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 05-06-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136594)
Sorry for not being able to provide exact figures as I am not sure if any white knights are lurking in this forum. My annual basic is 130k to 140k excluding bonus. Do they accept an age 32 to be a Deputy Director? My perception is that those working in Deputy Director or above or even superscale salary are those in their mid 40s or 50s with over 20++ years of experience (super laojiao people) ...

Yes, there are high potential people who became DD/D at 29 or 30, at MX10. Usually the gov doesn't parachute anyone in as DD/D unless you have relevant experience in the role and good leadership track records. Nowadays, HR search for these candidates themselves on LinkedIn.

Unregistered 05-06-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136606)
hi, fresh grad here. just wondering - when you receive your MI, would you be explicitly told of your performance grade & % increment?

or would you be told the grade & have to calculate the increment yourself?

My MI letter got say grade and MI amount

Unregistered 05-06-2020 11:03 AM

Laughable salary aside, choosing the right traineeship is also important and can be rewarding later on.

I can attest that some of the technical traineeships offer certifications and a ground-up approach in honing freshies to be employable once their tenure ends.

Take a browse at the Data Analyst traineeships, almost all of them do not require prior experience and are promising grads Tableau/R certifications. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Unregistered 05-06-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136783)
Laughable salary aside, choosing the right traineeship is also important and can be rewarding later on.

I can attest that some of the technical traineeships offer certifications and a ground-up approach in honing freshies to be employable once their tenure ends.

Take a browse at the Data Analyst traineeships, almost all of them do not require prior experience and are promising grads Tableau/R certifications. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Agree. Don’t view it as a salary for working, view it as paying you to be trained in an in-demand area that will be highly employable after covid is over

Unregistered 05-06-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136779)
I see. Then we shouldn't be using the MX eyes to look at his offer! His allowance is clearly stated on the website. No issue to me then... 2.2 should refer to the website for details.

Ya. I think he wants to negotiate for the upper end? 2.5k?

Unregistered 05-06-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136790)
Ya. I think he wants to negotiate for the upper end? 2.5k?

If 2.2 wants 2.5k, then he shouldn't be expecting any form of increment during his traineeship lor, coz hit ceiling already. Employer must also have buffer to motivate staff right?

Unregistered 05-06-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136780)
Yes, there are high potential people who became DD/D at 29 or 30, at MX10. Usually the gov doesn't parachute anyone in as DD/D unless you have relevant experience in the role and good leadership track records. Nowadays, HR search for these candidates themselves on LinkedIn.

Thanks alot for the reply. I think they will also not being able to pay 140k at a position less than deputy director/director right?

Quite sad to hear this actually that govt agencies are losing talents because of being unable to match the salary and having to stick strictly on the range of salaries provided on their respective title.

Unregistered 05-06-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavenderblues (Post 136556)
Hello all, have been working in CS for 2.5years. Just became a MX12 last year. My MI that I received this year was only 3.5%. Is it normal for it to be so low? Cant help feeling disappointed regarding my MI and have no motivation to work now.. the grade I got was C+

Which Ministry ?
How much was your pay before and after ?

Unregistered 06-06-2020 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavenderblues (Post 136556)
Hello all, have been working in CS for 2.5years. Just became a MX12 last year. My MI that I received this year was only 3.5%. Is it normal for it to be so low? Cant help feeling disappointed regarding my MI and have no motivation to work now.. the grade I got was C+

3.5% isn't that bad for MI with C+. When you get your promotion in grade, you were given a significant bump in salary, no?

Unregistered 06-06-2020 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136508)
Hi all, seeking some advice.

29y. currently in pte industry.
Work experience approx. 4 yrs (creative and PR)
Pte uni (FCH), Arts.
NS in Mindef (if relevant at all)

Planning a switch to CS, specifically DSTA/MND/IMDA. Either in corp comms or policy track.

Reasonable to look at payscale 5k up? Would I enter as MX12?
Current sal is low 4k.

Thanks in advance!

When you hoping from private to CS, it is better to be equiped with at least 5 years of relevant experience or they won't be taking much of the experience into account for formulating salary.
Did the job listed commensurate with experience? Listed at least how many years of experience needed?
If none of the above, the offered range will probably at the lowest range on the grade.
After interview, internal they will pose a possible grade on you for the job.