Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 05-06-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136774)
For the 2.2k guy, you mentioned it's a traineeship, I do see it as some form of apprenticeship which one would be paid an allowance (for sustenance) rather than a full salary. If you get to speak to HR, clarify the following with them:
- grade which you are employed under (if tagged to MX, even better, you should be MX12)
- expressed that the salary offered is rather low compared to the market (know your market rate)
- you said that they would give an increment after a few months? How much? Is that considered a promotion? If so, grade?

A decent HR person should be able to tell you your grade emplacement. If not tagged to MX, they should be able to help to bridge to MX equivalent.

If your HR cannot provide answers to the above, accept the job and continue looking. If you are really keen on the traineeship, then complete it and see how later. Have a short-term plan, some foresight. You will be graded based on how far you can think and be prepared for what would come.

Some agencies/HR do shortchange staff - fresh grad or not. I joined an agency thinking that my grade was tagged to MX11 (provided by HR) only to found out that it was MX12 when I received my appraisal.

For the "boomer" callers, well, if you want to join CS/PS, you will have to work with A LOT of them. Your CEs/DSs/PSs are all "boomers". They are hard to convince and you have to find a way to convince them. No matter how open to innovation they are, there will still be reservations - at their level a lot is at stake. So, when things don't move, you'll just have to find your way. If you have to resort to labeling, perhaps you could drop CS/PS and go for a more innovative environment in the private sector.

The current traineeship scheme is not meant to be a job. Individuals under this scheme will not be allocated a "grade". It is also not a permanent placement. It is a fixed 12 month programme to give fresh grads a fighting chance once this is all over.

s://.wsg.gov.sg/SGUnitedTraineeships-Trainees.html

Unregistered 05-06-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136030)
i was the earlier poster from SME to MNC to GLC to SB to Local bank.

actually not so straight for private cross over to CS and visa versa. it is actually quite different.
so i wouldnt say either one can be the fallback of the other.

paywise, CS compensate by bonus.. if you perform, your annual package can definitely match what you can get in private..
+ point for CS is less likely to be retrench
+ point for private is higher monthly salary (no matter what its always better to take money first than to wait for the uncertain bonus & s significant amount of performance usually tie to whether you are given a chance to perform or whether your management likes you)

Agree with this. I came from non-profit > private > public service > private > public service. Essentially, your experience do count. For gov to private, I personally find policy and ops experience can translate into strategy work in the private sector. I aso can't speak for specialised domains like engineering, architecture, etc. From what I see, specialised roles don't translate very well from gov to private because specialised roles in gov are mainly contract management whereas private are mostly on the ground.

So before making any comments about gov to private is hard or private to gov at $200k p.a., think about your experience and possible value-add to the organisation first.

Unregistered 05-06-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136776)
The current traineeship scheme is not meant to be a job. Individuals under this scheme will not be allocated a "grade". It is also not a permanent placement. It is a fixed 12 month programme to give fresh grads a fighting chance once this is all over.

s://.wsg.gov.sg/SGUnitedTraineeships-Trainees.html

I see. Then we shouldn't be using the MX eyes to look at his offer! His allowance is clearly stated on the website. No issue to me then... 2.2 should refer to the website for details.

Unregistered 05-06-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136594)
Sorry for not being able to provide exact figures as I am not sure if any white knights are lurking in this forum. My annual basic is 130k to 140k excluding bonus. Do they accept an age 32 to be a Deputy Director? My perception is that those working in Deputy Director or above or even superscale salary are those in their mid 40s or 50s with over 20++ years of experience (super laojiao people) ...

Yes, there are high potential people who became DD/D at 29 or 30, at MX10. Usually the gov doesn't parachute anyone in as DD/D unless you have relevant experience in the role and good leadership track records. Nowadays, HR search for these candidates themselves on LinkedIn.

Unregistered 05-06-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136606)
hi, fresh grad here. just wondering - when you receive your MI, would you be explicitly told of your performance grade & % increment?

or would you be told the grade & have to calculate the increment yourself?

My MI letter got say grade and MI amount

Unregistered 05-06-2020 11:03 AM

Laughable salary aside, choosing the right traineeship is also important and can be rewarding later on.

I can attest that some of the technical traineeships offer certifications and a ground-up approach in honing freshies to be employable once their tenure ends.

Take a browse at the Data Analyst traineeships, almost all of them do not require prior experience and are promising grads Tableau/R certifications. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Unregistered 05-06-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136783)
Laughable salary aside, choosing the right traineeship is also important and can be rewarding later on.

I can attest that some of the technical traineeships offer certifications and a ground-up approach in honing freshies to be employable once their tenure ends.

Take a browse at the Data Analyst traineeships, almost all of them do not require prior experience and are promising grads Tableau/R certifications. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Agree. Donít view it as a salary for working, view it as paying you to be trained in an in-demand area that will be highly employable after covid is over

Unregistered 05-06-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136779)
I see. Then we shouldn't be using the MX eyes to look at his offer! His allowance is clearly stated on the website. No issue to me then... 2.2 should refer to the website for details.

Ya. I think he wants to negotiate for the upper end? 2.5k?

Unregistered 05-06-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136790)
Ya. I think he wants to negotiate for the upper end? 2.5k?

If 2.2 wants 2.5k, then he shouldn't be expecting any form of increment during his traineeship lor, coz hit ceiling already. Employer must also have buffer to motivate staff right?

Unregistered 05-06-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136780)
Yes, there are high potential people who became DD/D at 29 or 30, at MX10. Usually the gov doesn't parachute anyone in as DD/D unless you have relevant experience in the role and good leadership track records. Nowadays, HR search for these candidates themselves on LinkedIn.

Thanks alot for the reply. I think they will also not being able to pay 140k at a position less than deputy director/director right?

Quite sad to hear this actually that govt agencies are losing talents because of being unable to match the salary and having to stick strictly on the range of salaries provided on their respective title.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2