Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

starrxu 05-05-2010 10:08 PM

Compare civil service salary

I am 32, with 8 years of working experience, joined a stat board at $4300. HR refused to give me higher for the reason that this is the average among my peers considering my age, experiences etc.

I would ike to compare with my peers in the civil service. Any civil servant care to share more?

Unregistered 06-05-2010 08:51 AM

My background:
2nd upper Science Graduate (NUS). Class of 2007. Civil Servant.
Earning $4.4k gross monthly. I'm not a scholar btw. I will be age 28 by year end 2010.

$4.4k is my gross monthly salary (doesnt include the bonuses).
Starting pay was $3.3k in 2007
Went up to $3.6k in 2008
Then to $3.8k in 2009
Then to $4.4k in 2010

By default, you get an annual increase in pay (called merit increment;dependent whether u perform well at work) and on top of that a promotional increment (if you get promoted to a higher job-grade)

Hope this will give you a guage of your salary.

Unregistered 06-05-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5850)
My background:
2nd upper Science Graduate (NUS). Class of 2007. Civil Servant.
Earning $4.4k gross monthly. I'm not a scholar btw. I will be age 28 by year end 2010.

$4.4k is my gross monthly salary (doesnt include the bonuses).
Starting pay was $3.3k in 2007
Went up to $3.6k in 2008
Then to $3.8k in 2009
Then to $4.4k in 2010

By default, you get an annual increase in pay (called merit increment;dependent whether u perform well at work) and on top of that a promotional increment (if you get promoted to a higher job-grade)

Hope this will give you a guage of your salary.

Wow...you must be a high flyer to have such good starting pay and to have such high pay increments as well including a whopping nearly 16% increment from 2009 to 2010. Even the 2009 recession did not affect your pay. I contragulate you on your success!

Unregistered 06-05-2010 01:43 PM

2nd Upper Econs Grad (UK uni) Non-scholar, 30 yrs old. Civil Servant

Drawing $5.3k gross monthly salary (doesn't include bonuses)
Starting pay was $2.9k in early 2007.

starrxu 06-05-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5853)
2nd Upper Econs Grad (UK uni) Non-scholar, 30 yrs old. Civil Servant

Drawing $5.3k gross monthly salary (doesn't include bonuses)
Starting pay was $2.9k in early 2007.

In comparison, your increment is much faster than the 28 yr-old-guy who started with $3.3k in 2007. But I guess he will most likely draw $5.3k when he reaches 30 yr-old based on 10% annual increment.

Now, i felt so cheated by HR. They are just using those reasons as excuses for bargaining. Some more, if I am not wrong, there isn't any salary downward adjustment in 2007-2009. HR just wanna take advantage of economy downturn to cut new ppl's salary.

I was earning $5.3k + $500 transport allowance in my previous job in private sector and I would think that this is slightly above "average" among my peers that time.

Unregistered 07-05-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starrxu (Post 5854)
In comparison, your increment is much faster than the 28 yr-old-guy who started with $3.3k in 2007. But I guess he will most likely draw $5.3k when he reaches 30 yr-old based on 10% annual increment.

Now, i felt so cheated by HR. They are just using those reasons as excuses for bargaining. Some more, if I am not wrong, there isn't any salary downward adjustment in 2007-2009. HR just wanna take advantage of economy downturn to cut new ppl's salary.

I was earning $5.3k + $500 transport allowance in my previous job in private sector and I would think that this is slightly above "average" among my peers that time.

It would depend on the scheme of service. There are those amongst us who are on professional schemes such as legal scheme, economist scheme, etc, as opposed to the more generic management executive scheme. The folks on the prof schemes are generally paid more, sometimes substantially more . I happen to be on one of the professional schemes.

Stat boards have the discretion to set their salaries differently from the Civil service i.e. Ministries. Thus, your HR may not have been wrong to say that that is indeed the average within your organisation.

Unregistered 07-05-2010 10:33 AM

Wow, Civil Service really pays so well huh. I'm a grad in the pte sector and my pay is peanuts compared to u guys. 30yr old with 5yrs working experience some more. Over 5 yrs my salary only grew from $1.9k to $2.8k.

Is it easy to enter Civil Service? I've applied several times before but failed to even get called up for interview. And their employment application forms seems to want to know everything about you, even how well you did for PSLE (-_-)"'

starrxu 07-05-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5862)
Wow, Civil Service really pays so well huh. I'm a grad in the pte sector and my pay is peanuts compared to u guys. 30yr old with 5yrs working experience some more. Over 5 yrs my salary only grew from $1.9k to $2.8k.

Is it easy to enter Civil Service? I've applied several times before but failed to even get called up for interview. And their employment application forms seems to want to know everything about you, even how well you did for PSLE (-_-)"'

Not difficult... a matter of interview skills, background and luck. There are plenty of positions => Careers@Gov. You just have to try even harder and jackpot will hit you sooner. I was already in once before and now my 2nd.

Unregistered 08-05-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starrxu (Post 5863)
Not difficult... a matter of interview skills, background and luck. There are plenty of positions => Careers@Gov. You just have to try even harder and jackpot will hit you sooner. I was already in once before and now my 2nd.

I wouldn't be so quick to state that its relatively simple to get a job in the civil service. Some of the more sought after positions, i.e. economist scheme (economist with MTI), intelligence service (ISD), legal service (MinLaw), foreign service (MFA) have very stringent recruitment criteria and pay handsomely.

-A fresh grad (gd honours, with NS) entering the intelligence service would likely draw a starting pay close to 4.5k, give and take 1k, if not mistaken.
-An economist (masters degree, with NS) would likely be drawing anything from 4.5k- 5k or possibly even more.

And don't even start on the elite Admin Service and their feeder MA scheme....

Unregistered 13-05-2010 10:59 PM

Was deciding to join the marine industry on civil service.. seems like civil services is a better choice after all.

Marine industry offer 2400 to 2600..

Civil service starting pay is about 3100-3700 already...

pip 15-05-2010 11:34 PM

I'm 32 this year, and just switched from pte sector to a Ministry.
got offered an entry pay of 6.3, excluding bonuses.
local grad, 2nd upper in Arts and Social Sciences.

the thing about this offer is that its a supernumerary position, which is renewable every two years. i hear that this is popular for the civil service right now. i've also heard that ppl on such schemes tend to get passed over for promotion, as compared to perm staff.

i'm just very curious about how much teachers are making, because i really think they're overworked and underpaid. are there any teachers in this forum who'ld care to share?

Unregistered 16-05-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 5936)

the thing about this offer is that its a supernumerary position, which is renewable every two years. i hear that this is popular for the civil service right now. i've also heard that ppl on such schemes tend to get passed over for promotion, as compared to perm staff.

i'm just very curious about how much teachers are making, because i really think they're overworked and underpaid. are there any teachers in this forum who'ld care to share?

First of all, can I know how many years of private sector experience do you have?
What is your last drawn salary in private sector before you join this 6.3k service??

pip 16-05-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5939)
First of all, can I know how many years of private sector experience do you have?
What is your last drawn salary in private sector before you join this 6.3k service??

I was in the SAF for 3.5 years and in the pte sector for 5 years. my last drawn was 5.3k but it came with a company car and travel allowances. If i counted the perks, the gross pay would have been closer to 6.5k (monthly car installment payments + fuel costs).

Unregistered, i thought this thread was started to compare salaries for various civil service schemes, not to question people who come forth to share. I'm sure there is no need for anyone to brag about their salary behind the veil of anonymity (unless you have a different agenda). hence, I'm not sure if i understand your skepticism. Why not share your experiences instead of posing more questions? If it sounds too good to be true to you, I can assure you that its nothing compared to what I've heard others younger than me are being paid.

Future 16-05-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 5936)

I am a teacher with 5 years of teaching experience...Yeah like what you said overworked but severely underpaid.B4 I reveal my salary to you,how much do you yourself think teachers here are paid monthly?

Unregistered 16-05-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Future (Post 5943)
I am a teacher with 5 years of teaching experience...Yeah like what you said overworked but severely underpaid.B4 I reveal my salary to you,how much do you yourself think teachers here are paid monthly?

with 5 years, my guess is about 4.5k, but you get 15+ months per year if bonuses are included. a HOD can get close to 100k a year. if you're good, you can be promoted to one within 5 years or so.

all the above are my educated guesses.

Unregistered 16-05-2010 07:48 PM

hi
i'm a teacher with 9 years experience (including training in NIE). 2nd upper degree in Arts like you. i teach at a JC.

i'm drawing close to 6k/pm without counting bonus. but i know some of my coursemates back in NIE with the same exp as me are only getting about 4.8-5k.

are we underpaid??? yes. i was lucky to find a principal who liked me

just sharing.

Unregistered 17-05-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5945)
hi
i'm a teacher with 9 years experience (including training in NIE). 2nd upper degree in Arts like you. i teach at a JC.

i'm drawing close to 6k/pm without counting bonus. but i know some of my coursemates back in NIE with the same exp as me are only getting about 4.8-5k.

are we underpaid??? yes. i was lucky to find a principal who liked me

just sharing.

since your principal likes you, do you get 3-5 months bonus every year? 17 months x $6k = $102k. that's pretty good.

Unregistered 17-05-2010 12:46 AM

moreover, you will have a good chance of running a very successful tuition business. if you are well liked by students, you should consider quitting to start giving tuition full-time. NIE trained teachers with actual experience teaching in schools are in great demand. at a typical rate of $100/hr for such qualifications, you get $4k per week working just 40 hours (not counting travelling time and preparation). that's 16k+/mth, and about $200k/yr.

starrxu 17-05-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5927)
Was deciding to join the marine industry on civil service.. seems like civil services is a better choice after all.

Marine industry offer 2400 to 2600..

Civil service starting pay is about 3100-3700 already...

I have a friend in oil & gas, marine industry. Earning big bucks. Few years ago, he is already earning $6k. It is your call. Try already then you will know.

Future 17-05-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5944)
with 5 years, my guess is about 4.5k, but you get 15+ months per year if bonuses are included. a HOD can get close to 100k a year. if you're good, you can be promoted to one within 5 years or so.

all the above are my educated guesses.

I am drawing $6k per month (w/o bonus included).My total compensation for last year was $90k.Not a great salary by any means but I try to live a simple lifestyle to compensate for my low salary e.g. live in a one room HDB flat & do not own a car or any expensive hobbies.I guess I am still able to cope.As for HODs,they earn more than the $100k that you quoted.For example a HOD with 10 years of experience draws $7k monthly excluding bonuses.Some non HOD teachers that I personally know of with 9-10 years of experience drew approximately $108k last year including bonuses.
But if you ask any teacher about the greatest challenges that he or she faces,it is usually never about the salary or monetary compensation.But for me sometimes I do feel discouraged especially my former classmates in school working as top lawyers or doctors or bankers command monthly salaries of more than 10 times my monthly pay.I guess it was a choice I made and no one forced me to be a teacher in the 1st place right?

Unregistered 17-05-2010 09:16 AM

I joined a stat board when I was 25 with a pay of 2.6k/mth. (that was 15 years ago), left for private sector at the age of 27 and rejoined a different stat board with a pay of 4.2k/mth when I was 30. I left for private sector again when I was 35. the last drawn pay in that stat. board was about 8k/mth. male singaporean, served NS, graduated age of 23. 2nd upper honours.

pip 17-05-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Future (Post 5952)
I am drawing $6k per month (w/o bonus included).My total compensation for last year was $90k.Not a great salary by any means but I try to live a simple lifestyle to compensate for my low salary e.g. live in a one room HDB flat & do not own a car or any expensive hobbies.I guess I am still able to cope.As for HODs,they earn more than the $100k that you quoted.For example a HOD with 10 years of experience draws $7k monthly excluding bonuses.Some non HOD teachers that I personally know of with 9-10 years of experience drew approximately $108k last year including bonuses.
But if you ask any teacher about the greatest challenges that he or she faces,it is usually never about the salary or monetary compensation.But for me sometimes I do feel discouraged especially my former classmates in school working as top lawyers or doctors or bankers command monthly salaries of more than 10 times my monthly pay.I guess it was a choice I made and no one forced me to be a teacher in the 1st place right?

well said. Several times in life we come to a crossroads where a single decision will decide our futures. I know its pointless, but sometimes we just can't help comparing with others. Btw, I would like to think that you're doing pretty well as a teacher. 6k in 5 years is no mean feat, there was another gentleman who posted that he only got there in 9years.

I have my share of friends who are bankers and lawyers. One of them is a research analyst for Citibank earning a package of about 330,000 a year. However this is a guy who genuinely has one of the worst work-life balances I've ever encountered. he leaves home at about 6.15am (he lives in river valley) for the morning call at 7am and he returns home at 11pm, after attending the morning call when wall street opens. He has to retire at 40 or he'll burn out for sure. no social life to speak of.

Unregistered 17-05-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5953)
I joined a stat board when I was 25 with a pay of 2.6k/mth. (that was 15 years ago), left for private sector at the age of 27 and rejoined a different stat board with a pay of 4.2k/mth when I was 30. I left for private sector again when I was 35. the last drawn pay in that stat. board was about 8k/mth. male singaporean, served NS, graduated age of 23. 2nd upper honours.

just wondering if ppl who have worked in the pte. sector are likely to get better job terms when they interview for jobs in the civil service? since you can 'wayang' a lot about the stuff you did outside on your cv and they won't be able to find out... just a thought

starrxu 17-05-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5953)

How did you jump from $4.2k to $8k in 5 years in the same stat. board? My increment in stat. board is pathetic. Only $173 this year, which comes up to abt 4% only.

Any civil service ppl care to share abt the annual increment you get?

Unregistered 17-05-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starrxu (Post 5960)
How did you jump from $4.2k to $8k in 5 years in the same stat. board? My increment in stat. board is pathetic. Only $173 this year, which comes up to abt 4% only.

the second time I joined the stat board, I was close to 30. Obviously I got a bad deal taking 4.2k/mth at that age. However, my pte sector experience did help and I was promoted up one grade every year. Yes, it was quite rare, I was the top performer every year outdoing the scholars. I eventually left because of the glass ceiling for non-scholars.

Unregistered 18-05-2010 10:20 AM

I was earning 4800 in a Ministry and got a 10% increment last year.

pip 18-05-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starrxu (Post 5960)

I think the gentleman who jumped from 4k+ to nearly 8K in 5 years mentioned that he was promoted nearly once every year. A promotion moves you up into the next pay grade. However. a pay increment only moves you up to the next rung within same pay grade. It's the consolation prize for you when you've not been promoted, i suppose.

For a Management executive officer on the MX11 pay grade I think the annual increment should be about 200. The pay grade stretches from 5k to 6k, i believe,so that makes it 5 increment rungs within that MX. MX10 begins at 6k, if i'm not wrong.

Unregistered 28-05-2010 09:57 AM

Civil Servant, (27 yrs old) male, non-scholar

starting pay (2006) - 3.4
2007 - 3.9
2008 - 4.6
2009 - 4.9
2010 - 5.2

excluding bonus

Unregistered 28-05-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6044)

2007 - 3.9
2008 - 4.6
2009 - 4.9
2010 - 5.2

excluding bonus

1. What degree have you got?
2. What class of honors did you get?
3. Which university are you from?

Base on my calculation,

2006-2007 = +$500 (14.7% annual increment)
2007-2008 = +$700 (17.9% annual increment)
2008-2009 = +$300 (6.5% annual increment)
2009-2010 = +$300 (6.1% annual increment)

Is it true that all civil servant get this 'kind' of increment like yours??

My calculation show that the least annual increment is 6.1%, compared to private sector around 3%.

Even for year 2008 to 2009, the annual increment is at least 6.1% (which is consider lesser than earlier year, due to economic crisis), while private company like SIA having pay cut or pay freeze.

Are you a good/outstanding performer? or just average performer?

Please reply.
Thank you.

Unregistered 28-05-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

2007 - 3.9
2008 - 4.6
2009 - 4.9
2010 - 5.2

excluding bonus

Hi there. Are you on some special scheme? The pay increments seem to be out of this world for the general management executive scheme.

Unregistered 28-05-2010 04:41 PM

teacher pay

male teacher 33, subject head in a government school.
2nd upper, Arts

starting pay (2003): $3100
present pay (2010): $5800

pay exclude bonus.

How does this fare in the private sector among my peers. i did not go around asking as i thought it is a sensitive and private matter. Please advise.

Unregistered 28-05-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6048)
male teacher 33, subject head in a government school.
2nd upper, Arts

starting pay (2003): $3100
present pay (2010): $5800

pay exclude bonus.

How does this fare in the private sector among my peers. i did not go around asking as i thought it is a sensitive and private matter. Please advise.

How many months of bonus do you get on average? What's your expected annual income this year? Comparing annual income will give a better picture.

Unregistered 29-05-2010 09:26 AM

around 5 months of bonus as i got good grades this year. that would mean: 5800 x 17: $98600.

Unregistered 29-05-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

2007 - 3.9
2008 - 4.6
2009 - 4.9
2010 - 5.2

excluding bonus

1. What degree have you got?
2. What class of honors did you get?
3. Which university are you from?

Base on my calculation,

2006-2007 = +$500 (14.7% annual increment)
2007-2008 = +$700 (17.9% annual increment)
2008-2009 = +$300 (6.5% annual increment)
2009-2010 = +$300 (6.1% annual increment)

Is it true that all civil servant get this 'kind' of increment like yours??

My calculation show that the least annual increment is 6.1%, compared to private sector around 3%.

Even for year 2008 to 2009, the annual increment is at least 6.1% (which is consider lesser than earlier year, due to economic crisis), while private company like SIA having pay cut or pay freeze.

Are you a good/outstanding performer? or just average performer?

Please reply.
Thank you.

Unregistered 29-05-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6050)
around 5 months of bonus as i got good grades this year. that would mean: 5800 x 17: $98600.

5 months bonus = april PB(2) +jul (0.5 + 300) + dec( 1aws + 1.5avc) = 5mth + 300.????

Unregistered 29-05-2010 03:36 PM

bravely first

ya, the bonus is more or less that way, of cos depending on which year, some years good performance, some years ok only.

but on average 4 months should be the normal. (1.5 months for C grader, mid year 0.5 mth, end of year 2 months,inclusive 13th mth)

so my question is for a 33 yr old male, working in government school, with a 2nd upper hon degree, is the pay $5800 ok?

thinking of going outside to do something else.

Unregistered 29-05-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6053)
ya, the bonus is more or less that way, of cos depending on which year, some years good performance, some years ok only.

but on average 4 months should be the normal. (1.5 months for C grader, mid year 0.5 mth, end of year 2 months,inclusive 13th mth)

so my question is for a 33 yr old male, working in government school, with a 2nd upper hon degree, is the pay $5800 ok?

My advice to you is to stay put. You are making good money and doing something that's respectable (unlike in the financial industry where ethics is always a problem - despite what they say, when you hear banks giving record bonuses just after being bailed out by governments and taxpayers money, something must be wrong; and how can some banks derive the bulk of their profits from doing financial trading? Providing price discovery and market making are activities that are over valued and over rated.)

Ok, ramblings aside, the money you make is pretty good for your age. If you want to "go outside", what do you intend to do?

civilservant 29-05-2010 05:28 PM

can anybody share the salary progression for the MX scheme for the different levels, i.e. MX13, 12, 11, 10 etc, and roughly how long it takes to jump from one level to the next?

Unregistered 29-05-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6053)

1 of my colleague same age as you with dunno 3rd class or 2nd lower degree ntu engineering, currently his basic is slightly less than $3000, with annual around $52k-$55k.

Your $98600 annual is so much higher than that of my colleague, it is better for you to stay put in teaching.

Even if you wanna leave, what is the something else you want to do?

Unregistered 30-05-2010 08:26 AM

I kept thinking some of the civil servants should not draw that kind of salary.
My subject head which is a scholar join the service 5 years ago, and he is
drawing a salary of 7K per month with a little work to do. He is with chinese language
department. Therefor, he always acts like he is very busy and always stay in
the school till very late. Actually, he do not have much to do. Then he come up with an idea
of Mother Tongue Enrichment Day which simply just ask a guest come to school to give a
speech. When talking about value add and impact to the department is none.