Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 13-06-2020 06:33 PM

Looking to transition from private sector to civil service - getting quite tired of the corporate lifestyle.

Male in early 30s currently working in investment banking at one of the BB banks. Previous experience at a MNC. First class honours from a local uni, and also an MBA from a top US program before going into banking.

Keen to leverage my private sector experience and move into a finance (MAS?) or economic development (EDB, MTI?) related role in public sector. Have a couple of questions on that:

- Am expecting to take a pay cut for sure. But what level can I expect to enter realistically and what would the numbers look like?
- Would I be regarded as a second class citizen in public sector and progress slower than the scholars?

Thanks all!

Unregistered 13-06-2020 07:28 PM

Anyone managed to negotiate their pay increment in Min or SB? Already working there for some years. Possible to initiate such negotiations? Or will get blacklisted? Thx.

Unregistered 13-06-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138101)
Anyone managed to negotiate their pay increment in Min or SB? Already working there for some years. Possible to initiate such negotiations? Or will get blacklisted? Thx.

Don't quite understand what you mean by negotiation. Are you referring yourself working in a min or sb and want to negotiate your current pay? If so, who do you plan to approach?

Unregistered 13-06-2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138103)
Don't quite understand what you mean by negotiation. Are you referring yourself working in a min or sb and want to negotiate your current pay? If so, who do you plan to approach?

I always hear of people negotiating for higher pay in private companies and I don't understand why nobody does that in the public service. After all, at least during LKY's time, the public service strive to remunerate competitively. If you bring value to justify it, why should it not be allowed? As for who to approach, I'm not sure. The director or HR maybe? Hoping someone who has tried can share.

Unregistered 14-06-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137769)
it was for the same role. DSTA. we discussed our salaries quite openly because we're pretty close.

From what I know, DSTA considers Masters to be equal to 1 year of work experience which is why your friend is getting more.

Unregistered 14-06-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138100)
Looking to transition from private sector to civil service - getting quite tired of the corporate lifestyle.

Male in early 30s currently working in investment banking at one of the BB banks. Previous experience at a MNC. First class honours from a local uni, and also an MBA from a top US program before going into banking.

Keen to leverage my private sector experience and move into a finance (MAS?) or economic development (EDB, MTI?) related role in public sector. Have a couple of questions on that:

- Am expecting to take a pay cut for sure. But what level can I expect to enter realistically and what would the numbers look like?
- Would I be regarded as a second class citizen in public sector and progress slower than the scholars?

Thanks all!

Either Mx 11A or Mx10 for your case

Unregistered 15-06-2020 03:00 AM

Those with ns, if you are not command school, would your app be disadvantaged?

Unregistered 15-06-2020 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138317)
Those with ns, if you are not command school, would your app be disadvantaged?

Guess it depends whether the job application form requires you to fill up your NS information?

If not, I don't think it matters.

Unregistered 15-06-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138263)
Either Mx 11A or Mx10 for your case

Don't bother with CS. People are trying to get out to go to the private sector.

The salary is not great too. With your top US MBA, you should be able to draw USD 250k easily.

Unregistered 15-06-2020 08:21 AM

No point joining CS with top MBA unless you are scholar. Otherwise it's a waste of your MBA.