Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 07-02-2011 10:54 AM

What are some things to consider before accepting a civil service job offer?

I am offered a position with a major pay cut of about $1000. So I have these questions for hr:

1. Is there a salary cap associated with the grade I am assigned, and is the package offered at the top of the cap already in terms of monthly pay?
2. What is the average time for promotion to the next grade?

Is it rude to ask these questions after being given an offer?

blackswan 07-02-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9364)
What are some things to consider before accepting a civil service job offer?

I am offered a position with a major pay cut of about $1000. So I have these questions for hr:

1. Is there a salary cap associated with the grade I am assigned, and is the package offered at the top of the cap already in terms of monthly pay?
2. What is the average time for promotion to the next grade?

Is it rude to ask these questions after being given an offer?

1. some agencies the letter of offer will write your grade and the associated pay range
2.the standard ans is depend on performance

Unregistered 07-02-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9343)
which ministry r u in?

i think having a good appraisal is a pre-requiste.
heard u need abt 1 or 2 yrs in service

Unable to divulge which ministry but can say its one of the social ministries.

I have good appraisal grades for the past 3 years. C B B.

male, below 30 (MX11)

Unregistered 07-02-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 9357)
If u get in this course, high chance u can get into hi-po or already inside

Executive Development Course (EDC)
EDC is a 2-week inter-agency programme designed for scholars beyond the Administrative Service and Management Associates Programme (MAP) group including high potential MXOs with 1-4 years in service. The main aim of the course is to enable these officers to broaden their perspectives of the processes, challenges and considerations in policy making, and to be effective managers as they assume supervisory positions.

Participants will be equipped with relevant policy knowledge, competencies and perspectives as well as the common vision and understanding of public service values that would assist their careers in their respective ministries. Additionally, the EDC will impart public administration skills in order for the participants to become effective young managers. The two weeks also gives officers an opportunity to network across agencies and develop a broader whole-of-government perspective.

Already went for this course but not yet inside leh...=(

blackswan 07-02-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9377)
Already went for this course but not yet inside leh...=(

r u the same guy who got C B B above?

u might be close... nt everyone can go tt course... haha
my dy dir went that course b4 and he's only ard 29 when he became dy dir

Unregistered 07-02-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9321)
Started at DSTA fresh.
After 2 years there, $51K p.a. thereabouts, excluding AWS and PB. (Typically the "additionals" will come up to about 4 months or so.)

Thus, I was saying 2 years of XP ~ $51K. Note that I proved myself after slightly over a year.
Of course, your XP needs to be relevant.

1. Can I know what is the starting pay of yours when you are fresh grad just entering DSTA?
2. Are you 1st class, 2nd upper or 2nd lower, or scholar?

From what I know from my friends, in 2007, DSTA ofter fresh grad degree
-2nd lower basic($3280/mth or $39360/year) excluding AWS and PB
-2nd upper basic($3580/mth or $42960/year) excluding AWS and PB
-1st class basic($3880/mth or $46560/year) excluding AWS and PB

I dunno how is the rate now?

Base on your given reference, $51000 annual basic after 2 years in DSTA seem to be like someone with 1st class honors degree, assuming with 1 pro-rated annual increment(for 1st year), 1 full annual increment & 1 promotion(in the 2nd year).

my assumption
pro-rated AI(annual increment) abt 3%
full AI abt 4-5%
promotion abt 4-5%

How much is AI for average performer? Can provide info?
How much is promotional increment for average performer? Can provide info?

Unregistered 07-02-2011 10:40 PM

Agreed with bobo

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 8959)
If you shut up, people will not know you are stupid.

1. I do work in a big company. If you worked in a big company, you would know this is the case. You have just revealed that you don't work in a big company.

2. I do not need to be the owner of a company to hire people. Again, you reveal how stupid you are.

3. It is an open secret that good companies only hire graduates with second upper honours from a good university. NUS is ranked about 40 in the world, as a rough guide, people hire universities ranked around there. Who wants to hire dumbdumbs from universities ranked 200 or 400? Foreigners are the exception. Please read more newspaper advertisements. In what way did I suggest I have a top notch degree from a good university? But do I have honours from a good university? Yes I do, as do ALL MY COLLEAGUES. You are childish beyond belief.

4. You know nuts about the market and clearly do not understand the impact of foreign talent because you don't work for anybody, do you? A graduate from Philippines with four years experience, who speaks and writes perfect English will be more than happy with $2500 per month. If you knew this, you wouldn't be sprouting nonsense here.

Anyway, I'm not here to play oneupmanship with people like you who have not even stepped into the workforce, much less work for a big company.

I'm simply providing information because I was once (a fairly long time ago) a jobseeker myself. If you don't want my advice so be it.

I don't have anything to prove to someone who has egg on his face.

...I really have to agree with bobo on his/her insights into this topic. I myself have been working in a MNC for the past 5 years and had NEVER come across any fresh grad hired at a >$3K range. Please take into prespective on the "foriegn talent" flooding into the Singapore workforce, and balance that out with your own expectation.

It's very inspiring to read abt young fresh grads aspiring to top the salary range but what the government did is exactly to counter such aspiration, just in case the "base cost" for companies goes uncontrolled and MNCs / SMEs started to divest in other lower cost countries for cheaper labour. It'll be a real economic disaster if Singapore spins out top fresh grads that demands very high salary but with no job offers....

Always weigh your oppourtunity with the other side of the coin.

Unregistered 07-02-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9383)
...I really have to agree with bobo on his/her insights into this topic. I myself have been working in a MNC for the past 5 years and had NEVER come across any fresh grad hired at a >$3K range. Please take into prespective on the "foriegn talent" flooding into the Singapore workforce, and balance that out with your own expectation.

It's very inspiring to read abt young fresh grads aspiring to top the salary range but what the government did is exactly to counter such aspiration, just in case the "base cost" for companies goes uncontrolled and MNCs / SMEs started to divest in other lower cost countries for cheaper labour. It'll be a real economic disaster if Singapore spins out top fresh grads that demands very high salary but with no job offers....

That's because fresh LOCAL grads are not up to mark. See the other thread where an intern said she is making SGD9800 - I bet she's a foreigner.

Unregistered 08-02-2011 12:02 AM

Fresh grads beware!

I tend to think that fresh grads should have more reasonable expectations, taking the figures posted here with a pinch of salt - some high salaries here do not appear credible to me. I have more than 10 years of working experience in the private sector, although I do not come from govt/ministries, logic does apply everywhere you go. Be sceptical when people claim they are paid so high a salary without justifying for it. It really does not happen in the real world out there. It will be very sad for a fresh grad to believe that and turn down a offer with a good organisation which he thinks is under-paying him.
My understanding is simply this simple truth, more than 10years ago when I graduated from local uni (non honors), my starting pay was around $1800 and it was not bad considered then. 10years down, fresh grad salaries now have risen to around $2800. You might think its pathetic yes, if you compare against the lifestyle that youngsters aspire to these days. Back then, we had no iphones, ipads yet, $1800 seems pretty good money. But think again, back then, we also have less people to compete with. Now, you have people from the emerging economies, from every asean neighboring country trying to find jobs here. There is going to be MORE of them rubbing shoulders with you. And they have degrees too. Things are no longer going to be that comfortable. Brace yourself for change. Don't let that couple of hundred bucks narrow your long term plans. Think long term. If you have a skill, make it your aim to enhance it, master it, make yourself more employable. That is the way to go.

Unregistered 08-02-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9383)

Maybe not yours, but I have friends who graduated last year, and got into Morgan Stanley, OCBC, and UOB. Only the OCBC guy is getting less than $3k, and he's still getting $2.9k.