Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 05-02-2011 06:00 PM

I have never worked in civil service. I graduated from a local u with good honours.

I find it funny when career progression and salary increment is tagged to your degree. In my line, it is about how much you make for the company. If you bring in the business, you are handsomely rewarded. That is the excitement.

All said, of course, in civil service, you get an iron rice bowl. We have to meet our plan in order to keep our job. Well, no risk no gain as they say...

Unregistered 06-02-2011 04:00 PM

Hi Po Programme

Any one in civil service and currently in the hi-po programme? Am a civil servant and quite interested in this programme? Looking to seek some advice on how to get in the programme and gain insights into it =)

Unregistered 06-02-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9342)
Any one in civil service and currently in the hi-po programme? Am a civil servant and quite interested in this programme? Looking to seek some advice on how to get in the programme and gain insights into it =)

which ministry r u in?

i think having a good appraisal is a pre-requiste.
heard u need abt 1 or 2 yrs in service

Unregistered 06-02-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9342)

If you need to "look" to get into the programme then mostly likely you won't get into it.

Unregistered 06-02-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9329)
I have never worked in civil service. I graduated from a local u with good honours.

I find it funny when career progression and salary increment is tagged to your degree. In my line, it is about how much you make for the company. If you bring in the business, you are handsomely rewarded. That is the excitement.

All said, of course, in civil service, you get an iron rice bowl. We have to meet our plan in order to keep our job. Well, no risk no gain as they say...

Starting pay is tagged to one's degree. More specifically, the class of degree. But career progression and salary increment is not. It depends on your performance.

Unregistered 06-02-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9344)
If you need to "look" to get into the programme then mostly likely you won't get into it.

I get your drift =) But there are things that one can do to swing the odds in favour of getting into the programme. Before that, one needs to know more abt it. As far as i know, my HR is pretty secretive abt it.

Unregistered 07-02-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9353)
I get your drift =) But there are things that one can do to swing the odds in favour of getting into the programme. Before that, one needs to know more abt it. As far as i know, my HR is pretty secretive abt it.

Maybe they have a good reason to be secretive about it. Maybe they are less secretive to a few people.

Unregistered 07-02-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9353)

From careers.gov.sg:

Ministries will identify and assess the officers placed on the HiPo programme, based on stringent selection and retention criteria. Typically, officers would need to have at least 2 years of service before they are nominated for the programme.

blackswan 07-02-2011 01:36 AM

If you get selected for this course in civil service college's IPD (Institute of Policy Development) high chance u can get into Hi-Po or u already inside.

Executive Development Course (EDC)
EDC is a 2-week inter-agency programme designed for scholars beyond the Administrative Service and Management Associates Programme (MAP) group including high potential MXOs with 1-4 years in service. The main aim of the course is to enable these officers to broaden their perspectives of the processes, challenges and considerations in policy making, and to be effective managers as they assume supervisory positions.

Participants will be equipped with relevant policy knowledge, competencies and perspectives as well as the common vision and understanding of public service values that would assist their careers in their respective ministries. Additionally, the EDC will impart public administration skills in order for the participants to become effective young managers. The two weeks also gives officers an opportunity to network across agencies and develop a broader whole-of-government perspective.

blackswan 07-02-2011 01:38 AM

If u get in this course, high chance u can get into hi-po or already inside

Executive Development Course (EDC)
EDC is a 2-week inter-agency programme designed for scholars beyond the Administrative Service and Management Associates Programme (MAP) group including high potential MXOs with 1-4 years in service. The main aim of the course is to enable these officers to broaden their perspectives of the processes, challenges and considerations in policy making, and to be effective managers as they assume supervisory positions.

Participants will be equipped with relevant policy knowledge, competencies and perspectives as well as the common vision and understanding of public service values that would assist their careers in their respective ministries. Additionally, the EDC will impart public administration skills in order for the participants to become effective young managers. The two weeks also gives officers an opportunity to network across agencies and develop a broader whole-of-government perspective.