Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 08-02-2011 01:50 PM

Salaries is just a factor of the whole employment equation. Using individuals as references does not say tell you anything aboutindustry benchmarks. Timing is a very important factor. If you enter the job in a bad year for the company, the salary you can negotiate will be depressed. And HR is not obligated to adjust your salary in say the next year when company improve. There will always be some who earn at the top band and others at the lower band. If you always compare with the top band takers, then you will just set yourself up feeling shortchanged. Better to have realistic expectations about the future of your company, whether your skills are in demand, how to increase your marketability etc. Comparing salary alone is just so 1 dimentional. My 2 cents.

Unregistered 08-02-2011 03:40 PM

Non Grads

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 9078)
dude, he is not a graduate. he is a poly dip holder with 2 yrs experience. your wife and you are graduates. note the difference for discussion. more useful will be to talk about how much the poly graduates in your company and goldman sachs are paid.

Bobo,

A friend of mine was one of the VPs in the finance dept of Goldman. She has only an A level cert and was drawing >$10k per month. Her boss is an angmoh.

Another friend, a poly BS grad was drawing $7k+ in another MNC's finance dept.

The wife of someone i know who is in the finance cum operation dept of a shipping firm was drawing $12k per month and she has only an O level cert but lots of experience!

Both my friends are in a profession which values paper qualification (like the legal/med prof). Yet, their employers are able to see beyond their papers and pay them according to what they could contribute to their jobs.

It's difficult to find such employers. But there really are such gems around. As for myself, am still searching for such an employer...my pay is not too bad, but could be better.

Unregistered 08-02-2011 03:53 PM

Job Hopping

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadman (Post 9047)
Just to share my story. im 29 (1982) male in IT line

My degree is completed as part-time between 2006 -2008. trying to accumulate work exp + deg at the same time.. as i find it more efficient and cost effective

start work 2005, din go to NUS/NTU even got offered
first job in mnc doing manufacturing as IT support, start pay 1.2k as contract staff.. become perm then pay become 1.4k, left coy at mid 2006 or something.. last drawn pay is around 1.9k

second job (mid 2006) at IT mnc coy do IT as well with start pay 3.6k, 3months later i ask for revision, then pay become 4.2k. Mid 2008, im asked to be perm, pay become 4.9k. Left coy at around sept 2009?. Last drawn 4.9k.. din wait to collect bonus (AWS) :(

3rd job, join a local GLC do IT.. start pay 5.3k, realise not really wat i wan and i think the internal politics abit crazy.. so i left 2 months during probation

4th job/current job .. do IT in a mnc financial industry coy.. start pay 5.8k.. around june last year, converted to perm staff, pay increment to existing 6.2k. Till now, overall annual is about 15 mths package.. no AWS.. so roughly 90+-k/yr

Coming 2011 June, hope got pay increment again to hit into a 100k annual package :P

Im thinking.. if i go into civil services/ IDA or similar, will they be able to pay me according to what im getting now? because i know the way they pay is based on some stupid citeria like below "in orders"

1) Degree branding
2) age
3) work length
4) skill qualifications- professional certs

Hi Deadman,

You seemed to be lucky in your job search/ career progression in terms of compensation. Good for you. May I know if you've encountered sceptical potential employers who found your job hopping record disturbing and fedback?

As for your being offered a course in local U but not taking up the offer, I totally believe. I scored a few distinctions in my Os, good enough to enter a top JC, but chose to study in the Poly instead. There are many like me from my cohort in the NP and SP.

Unregistered 08-02-2011 08:39 PM

I wonder why people choose to take diploma over local degree in an available field. Not that i have anything against diploma. But unless you are so sure that you never work for govt, stat board etc. their starting pay for degree holders are higher for dip. holders. Studying for degree course shouldn't be much more stressful than studying for dip. if you aim to do well anyway. Any comments?

Unregistered 08-02-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9414)
I wonder why people choose to take diploma over local degree in an available field. Not that i have anything against diploma. But unless you are so sure that you never work for govt, stat board etc. their starting pay for degree holders are higher for dip. holders. Studying for degree course shouldn't be much more stressful than studying for dip. if you aim to do well anyway. Any comments?

There are 2 types of people who choose diploma over a local degree:

Type 1. Those who are not academically inclined.

Type 2. Those whose results are good enough to go to a top junior college but prefer to compete with "Type 1" above because they're easier to beat. It's good for the ego when you keep beating your competition to a pulp.

Finally "Type 1" turns into a pulp and goes into the workforce while "Type 2" goes on to university with much greater confidence in life.

Unregistered 09-02-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9381)
1. Can I know what is the starting pay of yours when you are fresh grad just entering DSTA?
2. Are you 1st class, 2nd upper or 2nd lower, or scholar?

From what I know from my friends, in 2007, DSTA ofter fresh grad degree
-2nd lower basic($3280/mth or $39360/year) excluding AWS and PB
-2nd upper basic($3580/mth or $42960/year) excluding AWS and PB
-1st class basic($3880/mth or $46560/year) excluding AWS and PB

I dunno how is the rate now?

Base on your given reference, $51000 annual basic after 2 years in DSTA seem to be like someone with 1st class honors degree, assuming with 1 pro-rated annual increment(for 1st year), 1 full annual increment & 1 promotion(in the 2nd year).

my assumption
pro-rated AI(annual increment) abt 3%
full AI abt 4-5%
promotion abt 4-5%

How much is AI for average performer? Can provide info?
How much is promotional increment for average performer? Can provide info?

1) ~38k basic
2) Masters
Yes, huge adjustment upwards in 07-08 period.
I do not know the rates now.
I do not know AI and promotional increment for an average performer as I was never one.

Unregistered 09-02-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9416)
There are 2 types of people who choose diploma over a local degree:

Type 1. Those who are not academically inclined.

Type 2. Those whose results are good enough to go to a top junior college but prefer to compete with "Type 1" above because they're easier to beat. It's good for the ego when you keep beating your competition to a pulp.

Finally "Type 1" turns into a pulp and goes into the workforce while "Type 2" goes on to university with much greater confidence in life.

Those who did well enough to go to top JC but choose to go Poly may not do so because of the fear of competition. Afterall, they are already in the top rung of the co-hort. Many people i know, including myself did so because of family circumstances. During my time, we don't have so many options. Our parents are also not educated enough to provide any guidance. We just took what is the most practical option. ie. get a useful cert, work and help out with family finances.

Unregistered 09-02-2011 05:06 PM

Hi. Anyone knows if there are any yearly salary adjustments in LTA? What are the salary range for fresh grads from local uni with hons for the company?

Unregistered 09-02-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9435)
Hi. Anyone knows if there are any yearly salary adjustments in LTA? What are the salary range for fresh grads from local uni with hons for the company?

yearly salary adjustments in LTA??>>>do you mean yearly annual increment (AI)?

There should be yearly annual increment (AI) in the government sector if the economy is good enough! Unless the government declare an economic recession, there will not be any AI for that year or even pay cut!

From what I know in year 2007,

My friend from NUS 2nd lower honors mechanical engineering (year 2007), he join LTA as mechanical engineer with starting pay $2900 in year 2007.

Well after serving LTA about 2 months, he found out that LTA not his cup of tea, he join Morgan Stanley
-annual basic salary $40000.
-annual bonus (i never ask him)

Unregistered 09-02-2011 09:36 PM

Govt jobs for accountancy grad

Anyone knows what are the options and prospects (annual increment, starting salary, bonus) for accountancy grad in stat boards or the ministries?

i'm looking at IRAS or positions as a financial analyst in one of the ministries..

btw, i recently graduated with 2nd upper hons accountancy degree from local uni..