Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 05-04-2022 08:22 PM

Performance bonus is not about scholar status. Its about work done and contribution to sch/cluster. And of course your substantive grade. I.e its easier to get A in geo2 and 3 grades. When you are in GEO4 and above, it will get tough as they bar is raised with officers already appointed as kp. Even for them, A is. Not. A guarantee unless they have made significant contributions to school or cluster.

Unregistered 06-04-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212445)
So you joined the service in 2013 as a diploma holder and is already GEO 5 now? That's fast

Because they are doing KP work at GEO grades. Promotion is statistically faster for these people as they are punching above their expected weight.

Unregistered 06-04-2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212448)
Performance bonus is not about scholar status. Its about work done and contribution to sch/cluster. And of course your substantive grade. I.e its easier to get A in geo2 and 3 grades. When you are in GEO4 and above, it will get tough as they bar is raised with officers already appointed as kp. Even for them, A is. Not. A guarantee unless they have made significant contributions to school or cluster.

Agree. Elite scholars will be promoted faster as they are deemed to have a greater capacity to lead and excel and as a result a higher cep. Because of that, they may also be given more responsibilities with wider scope, which usually should not be an problem for them to do them to a satisfactory level. So that may translate to a better pb for some. I am not sure if the SLs consider their status before deciding on a perf grade, since these individuals are to be able to perform. I have yet to see a C-/D graders scholars in my decades of service.

For the majority, we are farmers whose hard work may or may not be recognised. It depends on one’s visibility, RO’s ability, and more importantly, his/her relationship with others, particularly the KPs and SLs. If the efforts are affirmed, a B grade is often within reach. A grade, depends. Nowadays, with the covid situation, A is no longer some legendary performance even for geo 4 and beyond. Of course, you will really need to slog. I have gotten that grade twice even when I was at geo 5. I led in most of the things, with impact level at school and cluster level.

On short, know yourself well to take on work that you can excel in. There is no use in assuming multiple roles when you are not able to do them well. In the long run, you will also be jaded and will even find it hard to have a breakthrough. Plan the years ahead well and know how to play the game.

Unregistered 06-04-2022 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212264)
It only shows your substantive grade but not your new salary. :(

Download the letter of employment. It has the updated salary.

Unregistered 06-04-2022 09:11 PM

Can anyone share the rate for fajt at geo3? Is there cpf contribution from employer?

Unregistered 06-04-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212642)
Can anyone share the rate for fajt at geo3? Is there cpf contribution from employer?

Why geo3 want to drop out to go fajt already? :/ Not waiting till 4 or 5?

Unregistered 06-04-2022 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212635)

Wow, A grade & GEO3 to GEO4, only +$410 to gross monthly? MOE having cashflow problems and cannot afford the teaching force already ah?

Not expecting to get rich working in MOE, but also not expecting to still be paid near-entry level salary after 5 YOE + slogging guts out doing KP work on internal appt. For a CS that always proudly claims that it benchmarks salaries against private sector to keep them competitive..

Unregistered 06-04-2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212651)
Wow, A grade & GEO3 to GEO4, only +$410 to gross monthly? MOE having cashflow problems and cannot afford the teaching force already ah?

Not expecting to get rich working in MOE, but also not expecting to still be paid near-entry level salary after 5 YOE + slogging guts out doing KP work on internal appt. For a CS that always proudly claims that it benchmarks salaries against private sector to keep them competitive..

My increment is the same as last yr :/

Unregistered 06-04-2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Is it because you are near the cap for GEO 3?

Unregistered 06-04-2022 09:51 PM

Quote:

Mine says bad request.
O.o

Unregistered 06-04-2022 10:55 PM

Can work. Use the app.

I’m GEO 4, grade B, increment $178.

Unregistered 06-04-2022 11:14 PM

?

I just got geo5. PB grade B. Increment around 7%. High or low

Unregistered 06-04-2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

how long were you in GEO3? Exact same grade as you + promotion to GEO4 and I had a $454 increment.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 12:08 AM

Quote:

Could you share how to do this?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212688)
Could you share how to do this?

Login to your workpal app.Then you will see an icon saying "Letter of Employment". Once you click that it will ask you to type Adressee and Addressee's address. You can just type "nil" for both. Then there is a check box saying "Include salary?" that you need to select . Then click Generate. Then it will download a pdf document which shows the updated salary.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212672)
how long were you in GEO3? Exact same grade as you + promotion to GEO4 and I had a $454 increment.

Since Oct 2018. My last drawn before promotion was almost 5.5k though. I guess the reason is because that's too near the ceiling. Funny how there is a monetary penalty for being too near the ceiling.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212662)
Can work. Use the app.

I’m GEO 4, grade B, increment $178.

Congrats on the B, but damn this year's MIs are also quite low huh. Compared to pre-covid times. The promotees getting shafted as well

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:30 AM

GEO3 A Increment $170

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212713)
Since Oct 2018. My last drawn before promotion was almost 5.5k though. I guess the reason is because that's too near the ceiling. Funny how there is a monetary penalty for being too near the ceiling.

5 YIS can reach 5.5k? Mid-career switch? :)

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212705)
Login to your workpal app.Then you will see an icon saying "Letter of Employment". Once you click that it will ask you to type Adressee and Addressee's address. You can just type "nil" for both. Then there is a check box saying "Include salary?" that you need to select . Then click Generate. Then it will download a pdf document which shows the updated salary.

You can also do it in HRP on computer. Search for the module called Letter of Employment. It doesn't show as an icon on the homepage.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212721)

549x (cant rmb last digit) before promotion. First career. PGDE + Local research masters sponsored by MOE, subject related to CS1.

Received one big fat MI for a B grade in one of the non-promotion years. It was about +210. That's why I'm surprised at the small MIs nowadays for good performance grades.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 10:52 AM

teaching is a calling, dont keep focusing on the salary la

want to earn big bucks go private sector

Unregistered 07-04-2022 11:41 AM

Day trip to JB

Hi, does anyone know is there any procedures or restrictions for teachers to go for day trips to JB? Need to inform P? Need to apply leave?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 12:16 PM

Depends on ur school. Minee wants us to inform SLs first

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212752)
Hi, does anyone know is there any procedures or restrictions for teachers to go for day trips to JB? Need to inform P? Need to apply leave?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212721)

Possible leh. I'm v close to 5.5k. This is my 4th year teaching. 2019 PGDE batch. I was the one who posted my promotion to GEO4 with grade A earlier.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212737)

CS claims that salaries are pegged to certain private sector benchmarks in order to be competitive. Don't detract from the main point.

Nobody joins teaching (or the many other important jobs that pay stupidly low) for BIG bucks, but workload and responsibility levels have to be equitably compensated for.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 01:42 PM

CS is a big organisation and is slow and beuracratic . keeping pace with market conditions is never their strength. sad

Unregistered 07-04-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212770)
Possible leh. I'm v close to 5.5k. This is my 4th year teaching. 2019 PGDE batch. I was the one who posted my promotion to GEO4 with grade A earlier.

How fast! What’s your background?
Age? Scholar? Mid-career switch?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 04:25 PM

A grade, 3% increment.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212737)

Isn't this a salary forum?
Do you expect everyone to be talking about teaching strategies here?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212770)

Sigh. I am almost 10 years in service with only slightly more than 6k.
Got an A but still not promoted to GEO 5.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212817)

Promotion has slowed visibly. I am A/B performer but still not going to seo 1 too. Just continue to do our best. To the very least, our efforts are recognised, else the pb wouldn’t be as such.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 05:32 PM

I noticed many high flyers here. Just want to share as a below average teacher.

I got d, c-, c- last time as a geo 3. But in the end, was still promoted to geo 4 after another 3 years of normal grades. So if you got a bad grade, please don't lose heart. Just remember that the sch will still appreciate you if you show improvement. Cheers. :)

Unregistered 07-04-2022 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212824)
I noticed many high flyers here. Just want to share as a below average teacher.

I got d, c-, c- last time as a geo 3. But in the end, was still promoted to geo 4 after another 3 years of normal grades. So if you got a bad grade, please don't lose heart. Just remember that the sch will still appreciate you if you show improvement. Cheers. :)

What did you do to warrant a D?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212817)

This is my 12th year in service and my pay is also slightly more than 6k. Still stuck at GEO 4 too

Unregistered 07-04-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212827)
What did you do to warrant a D?

Took lots of mc due to health issues.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 06:43 PM

GEO 5 increment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212670)
I just got geo5. PB grade B. Increment around 7%. High or low

sama sama.... guess it's considered decent.

Unregistered 07-04-2022 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212830)
This is my 12th year in service and my pay is also slightly more than 6k. Still stuck at GEO 4 too

Take home more than 6K or with CPF?

Unregistered 07-04-2022 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212834)
Take home more than 6K or with CPF?

With cpf. Net will be 5k plus

Unregistered 07-04-2022 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212836)
With cpf. Net will be 5k plus

i guess the low pay is augmented by the connect plan