Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 29-03-2018 11:57 PM

[forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher-98.html#.Wr0IO3Pmh-E QUOTE=Unregistered;106261]Female.
I have been in the service for abt 5 years.
Thought i will be promoted this year. But nope.
NIE Diploma with A lvls.
Stuck at GEO1 for 5 years already. Pay around 2.2k before CPF.
Degree holder colleague who came in together with me has just been promoted to GEO4.
A junior colleague who wayangs a lot just got promoted to GEO3.
You can see why Im losing my passion. Not because of promotion alone. But because of the unfairness of it all.
When you guys say that 4k is too low for teachers or other complaints abt pay etc..look at mine.

Feel that Im in a hell hole.
Senior colleagues dont mingle with me cuz im "too quiet".

I feel i should opt for a transfer to another school. What do you think?

#feelmypain[/QUOTE]

Don't lose heart... I was like you when I was in my first school. No promotion after 6 years because I was a diploma holder. Got my transfer becuase i was sick of it.

Then got my first promotion (GEO2A1) the following year, only had it to be taken back as I was emplaced in the same year, same month (GEO1) So my first promotion was in my 8th year. 4 years later, I got my second promotion (GEO4).

So, don't lose heart... there are people worse off than you.

Unregistered 30-03-2018 12:12 AM

Awww

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106286)
[forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher-98.html#.Wr0IO3Pmh-E QUOTE=Unregistered;106261]Female.
I have been in the service for abt 5 years.
Thought i will be promoted this year. But nope.
NIE Diploma with A lvls.
Stuck at GEO1 for 5 years already. Pay around 2.2k before CPF.
Degree holder colleague who came in together with me has just been promoted to GEO4.
A junior colleague who wayangs a lot just got promoted to GEO3.
You can see why Im losing my passion. Not because of promotion alone. But because of the unfairness of it all.
When you guys say that 4k is too low for teachers or other complaints abt pay etc..look at mine.

Feel that Im in a hell hole.
Senior colleagues dont mingle with me cuz im "too quiet".

I feel i should opt for a transfer to another school. What do you think?

#feelmypain

Don't lose heart... I was like you when I was in my first school. No promotion after 6 years because I was a diploma holder. Got my transfer becuase i was sick of it.

Then got my first promotion (GEO2A1) the following year, only had it to be taken back as I was emplaced in the same year, same month (GEO1) So my first promotion was in my 8th year. 4 years later, I got my second promotion (GEO4).

So, don't lose heart... there are people worse off than you.[/QUOTE]

😯😯 You jumped from GEO1 to GEO4? Whoa! Didnt know that was possible. So happy for you!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Im thinking of transferring too should things look more bleaker in the months to come.
Reading your experience instilled more patience in me to just move along. Thank you❤

Unregistered 30-03-2018 12:21 AM

Aww

Quote:

Originally Posted by singsongplaymj (Post 106272)
The C- would have a big impact on your promotion, which could be the reason for you staying at the current substantive grade for 5 years. I am sure his remarks were based on larger problems rather than just people finding you less approachable. I must say that things look like it is picking up, and the fact that you were given a C+ shows that your effort is appreciated. So with regard to people's perception, I would say that they recognise what you are doing.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes that C- really did me in. But yeah..bouncing back with the C+ felt a bit more reassuring for the effort ive put in.
Let's hope this yr is a better year.

Trying hard to stop comparing myself to the others who get promoted rather easily.

Gambatte!

Thank you @singsongplaymj

Unregistered 30-03-2018 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106288)

So, don't lose heart... there are people worse off than you.

😯😯 You jumped from GEO1 to GEO4? Whoa! Didnt know that was possible. So happy for you!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Im thinking of transferring too should things look more bleaker in the months to come.
Reading your experience instilled more patience in me to just move along. Thank you❤[/QUOTE]

Sorry, typo mistake, my first promotion was in 2014 to GEO1A1 which was changed to GEO3 in 2015. Then this year Geo4.

Unregistered 30-03-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106155)
When your principal tells you and you receive the letter or through pac gov???

You can more or less Guess you will be promoted if you have consistent grades or upward trend grades. Usually, last year grade before promotion is the highest of last 3 PB grades. Most of my colleagues, average degree holder performance is 2 years to GEO3, 3 -4 years to GEO4.

For promotion to GEO 5, it depends. Some people take 2 years, some colleagues even 5 years still at GE04.

Above are all first career Teachers for my school colleagues. Mid career should be faster but the expectations will also be higher.

Hi, so it means that we will be receiving a letter via postal mail? Or is it sent to the school?

When will the promotion be official i.e. When will the grade change to the next level in PaC@Gov?

Will the April salary be of the next higher grade? Or will it take a few months?

Unregistered 30-03-2018 11:44 PM

I was promoted to GEO3 in 2014 and has been waiting for my turn to get promoted since then. Performance grades was C+, B, C and B.
C was because i went on maternity leave. Heard that i've to get at least C+ for 3 consecutive years. Is that true? Means that I have to wait for another two years? I thot it was quite sad that i've two B's but cos of maternity leave that i got to restart all over again. Anyone who know if this is true?

Unregistered 31-03-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106308)
Hi, so it means that we will be receiving a letter via postal mail? Or is it sent to the school?

When will the promotion be official i.e. When will the grade change to the next level in PaC@Gov?

Will the April salary be of the next higher grade? Or will it take a few months?

This year, the list could have come later so some colleagues were not informed before it was announced. List should be sent to school.

Most often, promotion is official 1 April. Some promotions are in October, very few though. So salary is effective promotion date, April or October.

singsongplaymj 31-03-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106326)
I was promoted to GEO3 in 2014 and has been waiting for my turn to get promoted since then. Performance grades was C+, B, C and B.
C was because i went on maternity leave. Heard that i've to get at least C+ for 3 consecutive years. Is that true? Means that I have to wait for another two years? I thot it was quite sad that i've two B's but cos of maternity leave that i got to restart all over again. Anyone who know if this is true?

Not true. I have colleagues who have gotten 3 consecutive Bs without being promoted. Your appraisal looks promising. Hope for the best next year.

Unregistered 31-03-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106270)
My own RO keeps on saying it. It has been 5 years of the same comment 😖
My RO would say that ppl are afraid to approach me cuz they find me too quiet. I mean..What in the world is this? I talk when needed. I dont do much small talk. Small talk is what they want. Wayang is what they see.
My performance has been not that bad i guess. In the C category..C, C-, C+. Got C- once due to issues out of my will.

I guess it's hard to change ppl's perception. Better that I leave. 🙁🙁

Getting C- delays your promotion by at least TWO years. :(

Unregistered 02-04-2018 03:02 PM

How much is promotion increment from GEO1 to GEO2?

Unregistered 02-04-2018 11:18 PM

How much is promotion increment from geo 2 to geo 3? I'm a diploma holder. Only got promoted after 8 years in service. Is that very slow?

ordinarybuthappy 03-04-2018 09:51 AM

How long does it typically takes to get promoted from GEO5 to SEO1, given that one is holding a SH/LH position?

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 04-04-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singsongplaymj (Post 106268)
7 years in service.
Appointed HOD last year.
Geo 4
PB mixture of C+ & Bs, 1A.
Salary 5.7k

What is your take on this career progression? Thanks.

Internal HOD appt or Official appt? If it's Official one you probably will get promoted quite soon as you are currently below your appointment rank. If it's internal I guess you just gotta hold and show that you are capable of taking up that role and (probably longer than official appt HOD but) eventually you will still be marked for GEO5/SEO

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 04-04-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106393)
How much is promotion increment from geo 2 to geo 3? I'm a diploma holder. Only got promoted after 8 years in service. Is that very slow?

Promotion increment really depends on your current drawn salary (i.e. someone who is near the geo 2 ceiling of 4.5k vs someone who's drawing 3+k will have very different promotion increments)

Rate of promotion is considered a little slow but quite similar to the previous scale for diploma holders I would say

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 04-04-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ordinarybuthappy (Post 106402)
How long does it typically takes to get promoted from GEO5 to SEO1, given that one is holding a SH/LH position?

My friend took 2 years with B/A performance (2 years from the point of SH appointment)

singsongplaymj 04-04-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 106436)
Internal HOD appt or Official appt? If it's Official one you probably will get promoted quite soon as you are currently below your appointment rank. If it's internal I guess you just gotta hold and show that you are capable of taking up that role and (probably longer than official appt HOD but) eventually you will still be marked for GEO5/SEO

Official. Thanks

Unregistered 21-04-2018 10:19 PM

Hey all! I’m from an Aus uni and over here we have the option of doing honours (an additional year) or not (3 years degree). I’d just like to know what the main difference would be with and without honours; would it take longer for me to get promoted, and would there a be a huge difference in salary? Thanks so much :)

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 21-04-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106720)
Hey all! I’m from an Aus uni and over here we have the option of doing honours (an additional year) or not (3 years degree). I’d just like to know what the main difference would be with and without honours; would it take longer for me to get promoted, and would there a be a huge difference in salary? Thanks so much :)

If you are referring to the PGDE programme, your degree results (which qualifies you for the PGDE programme) would have already determined your pay based on the honours/non-honours. You results at NIE's PGDE programme will not determine your pay unlike those doing Bachelors of Education at NTU-NIE. Difference in salary between honours is a few hundred dollars (e.g. 2nd lower to 2nd upper is a diff of ~200+ dollars)
Promotion is usually not tied to honours, but since having higher honours = higher pay = faster reach pay ceiling, means probably promotion should also come soon (but more likely to depend on performance and YIS)

That being said, I would suggest you to email MOE recruitment to find out if your AU uni will be recognized for the PGDE programme as I have had a few friends who went overseas, got their degrees with honours but got rejected by MOE consistently in the recent years. That way, you can also make a more informed choice

Unregistered 23-04-2018 09:34 AM

The cruel reality of ranking of staff in schools by KPs/SLs

I know this is a very daring and sensitive question to ask, however I'm sure every working adult out there is interested to know due to the lack of transparency.

So what I heard is this:

If A and B (same GEO/MX rank) put in equal amount of effort in their work and produce similar results, but A makes his contributions/achievements very public or loud (due to his extroverted/power-hungry personality), while B remains low-profile and humble (due to his introverted personality), the higher grade is still awarded to A.

It would be helpful if any (very) experienced staff or even KPs are able to enlighten us on this.

Unregistered 23-04-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106758)
I know this is a very daring and sensitive question to ask, however I'm sure every working adult out there is interested to know due to the lack of transparency.

So what I heard is this:

If A and B (same GEO/MX rank) put in equal amount of effort in their work and produce similar results, but A makes his contributions/achievements very public or loud (due to his extroverted/power-hungry personality), while B remains low-profile and humble (due to his introverted personality), the higher grade is still awarded to A.

It would be helpful if any (very) experienced staff or even KPs are able to enlighten us on this.

Erm... most people figured out this simple rule within 1 month of leaving school & joining workforce dude. There is nothing "daring or sensitive" about this at all.

Unregistered 24-04-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106763)
Erm... most people figured out this simple rule within 1 month of leaving school & joining workforce dude. There is nothing "daring or sensitive" about this at all.

Hi, does this mean you were/are very extroverted and "loud" about your achievements in order to get a high performance grade as a teacher? or to promote to higher appointments?

Unregistered 24-04-2018 06:44 PM

What is the pay ceiling for GEO5?

cherlyj 24-04-2018 09:54 PM

Currently a diploma holder,

Joined my current school in 2014,

Promoted from GEO1 to GEO 2 in 2017.

current pay: 2750.

Performance grade: C, C+ C

Currently doing SUSS part time degree but I heard from colleagues that even with a grad cert from suss, the pay increment is little (like take home $400 more only) and not comparable to people graduated from NIE with a degree. ): Felt really sad when I heard this. Is this true?

Also, wondering how long would I be staying in GEO 2? ):
and also considering the NIE degree programme for non graduate teachers but i know that would be two years without any pay ): (Not sure if i can survive two years without any pay) and biggest concern is if i would be posted back to my current school after 2 years(pretty like the environment here). So not sure if i should apply next year.

Any experienced teachers can help me out on this?

Thank you!

cherlyj 24-04-2018 10:00 PM

So, don't lose heart... there are people worse off than you.[/QUOTE]

Hi! Just wondering how did you get emplaced. Is emplacement still possible since they have combined both Dip and Degree into the so called same salary scale. Thank you!

Unregistered 25-04-2018 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 106722)
If you are referring to the PGDE programme, your degree results (which qualifies you for the PGDE programme) would have already determined your pay based on the honours/non-honours. You results at NIE's PGDE programme will not determine your pay unlike those doing Bachelors of Education at NTU-NIE. Difference in salary between honours is a few hundred dollars (e.g. 2nd lower to 2nd upper is a diff of ~200+ dollars)
Promotion is usually not tied to honours, but since having higher honours = higher pay = faster reach pay ceiling, means probably promotion should also come soon (but more likely to depend on performance and YIS)

That being said, I would suggest you to email MOE recruitment to find out if your AU uni will be recognized for the PGDE programme as I have had a few friends who went overseas, got their degrees with honours but got rejected by MOE consistently in the recent years. That way, you can also make a more informed choice

Hey thanks so much for the info and advice!
Yep I was referring to my degree results and not the PGDE results :)

Anyway I dropped them an email and they said that they don’t have an actual list of qualified degrees, and applicants get shortlisted based on their results and comparing them with the other applicants’ results 🤷🏻*♀️

Unregistered 25-04-2018 08:29 PM

guess emplacement is still possible if you start your degree before MOE announced the same salary scale for dip n degree...

Unregistered 26-04-2018 01:44 AM

Someone posted the salary scale a few pages back - can refer to that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106824)
What is the pay ceiling for GEO5?

laoshi 30-04-2018 09:08 PM

Did anyone apply for open posting before? How is the interview process like?
I am thinking of applying for open posting but I do not know what I should say to my P when she ask me the reason for transferring to a new school.

Unregistered 02-05-2018 03:05 PM

Does anyone know how to deal with incompetent teachers/KPs?

Unregistered 02-05-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 106823)
Hi, does this mean you were/are very extroverted and "loud" about your achievements in order to get a high performance grade as a teacher? or to promote to higher appointments?

It happens to all organizations whether public or private sector.

Why else do you think some high visibility projects (esp. those tied to multi-schools or HQ) are always snapped up by many people whereas some condemned background "sai gang" projects forever nobody want to volunteer?

Whether you on teaching or management track, you have to play the corporate politics game if you want your promotions. Forever hide behind the scenes and just quietly teach and do work will never get you beyond Senior Teacher or Subject/Level Head no matter how fantastic you are.

Unregistered 03-05-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laoshi (Post 106968)
Did anyone apply for open posting before? How is the interview process like?
I am thinking of applying for open posting but I do not know what I should say to my P when she ask me the reason for transferring to a new school.

You can always be real and tell your P if you want to explore new working environment. Be sincere. Anw, there isn’t an obligation for you to inform your P but for courtesy purpose, just let your P know. Don’t let whatever she says hold you back if you really want to try for open posting. No one (but only yourself) can stop you from applying for open posting. If your records all the while is good, your P will not be able to stop your application.

Unregistered 03-05-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107010)

Speak up! Be the agent of change. Do things differently. If you think they are not leading the department in the right manner, then as a thinking adult, you be the agent of change. Start by changing what you can affect immediately (Eg your teaching in the classroom). Speak to your school leaders. To be honest, many school leaders are actually thinking leaders but no one dares to speak to them. Voice out. The bottom line is don’t be silent. When people see that you can produce results, they will start to believe you. So, other than speaking up, you need to take action (which you can show results) to prove their incompetency.

Unregistered 04-05-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107029)
Speak up! Be the agent of change. Do things differently. If you think they are not leading the department in the right manner, then as a thinking adult, you be the agent of change. Start by changing what you can affect immediately (Eg your teaching in the classroom). Speak to your school leaders. To be honest, many school leaders are actually thinking leaders but no one dares to speak to them. Voice out. The bottom line is don’t be silent. When people see that you can produce results, they will start to believe you. So, other than speaking up, you need to take action (which you can show results) to prove their incompetency.

It's a bit hard for normal teachers imo. Performance grades and bonuses are mostly decided by the KPs and they may mark people down for that. And I think it's the same for most organisations. No wonder most Singaporean employees just keep quiet about it.

As for proving them to be incompetent, it can be done, but it usually takes a lot of time. Affected teachers can still opt to transfer out; but in the meantime, I really pity the students who are affected by the damage done due to their incompetencies.

singsongplaymj 05-05-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107010)

Define incompetent.

If you are dealing with irresponsible teachers who cannot perform up to expectations, cannot adhere to deadlines etc, speak with the person first to see how you can work things out. Next level would be your own RO. Let your RO speak with the other RO.

If KPs are not supportive, especially when it is your RO, speak with with him or her to highlight how you wish to be better supported so that when there is a need to go to the SLs level, at least you have done your due diligence to communicate with the RO.

Unregistered 07-05-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94118)
I believe it's around 1.5 for C, 2.0 for C+, 2.5 for B. There's some variability - I've received 0.1 less before; so maybe 2.1 is possible for C+?

That depends. I got a C, 2.0 , C+ 2.2 and B 2.7.

Unregistered 07-05-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherlyj (Post 106829)

Currently doing SUSS part time degree but I heard from colleagues that even with a grad cert from suss, the pay increment is little (like take home $400 more only) and not comparable to people graduated from NIE with a degree. ): Felt really sad when I heard this. Is this true?

and also considering the NIE degree programme for non graduate teachers but i know that would be two years without any pay ): (Not sure if i can survive two years without any pay) and biggest concern is if i would be posted back to my current school after 2 years(pretty like the environment here). So not sure if i should apply next year.

Thank you!

I'm like you. Joined in 2014 and got promoted in 2017. Salary drawn was 2.8k. PB grade were C, C+ B, C+ (after promotion)

I have friends who are females and got themselves emplaced in the new salary, she's drawing 3.4k per month now after submitting her degree transcript. If you are a guy, u could be slightly higher or somewhere near. I'm not exactly sure, but will get u updated once I got the money. :) I'm in my final semester now. :)

laoshi 12-05-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 107028)
You can always be real and tell your P if you want to explore new working environment. Be sincere. Anw, there isn’t an obligation for you to inform your P but for courtesy purpose, just let your P know. Don’t let whatever she says hold you back if you really want to try for open posting. No one (but only yourself) can stop you from applying for open posting. If your records all the while is good, your P will not be able to stop your application.

Yeah, I think it is time for me to leave. Lately, I have been depressed with work because my new RO has been making me feel like I am an incompetent teacher. I think it is better for me to leave before this new RO gives me D for work review and then I am stuck with that school.

Hazel 15-05-2018 05:51 PM

Flexi Adjunct

Hi fellow teachers,

After 6 years in teaching, I just tendered my resignation. I really enjoy teaching but
Admin work is really driving me away from sanity. .

However, I would like to join back MOE but as a flexi adjunct teacher. Does anyone here have any
Idea if it would be difficult for me to join back?

Thank you!

Unregistered 15-05-2018 07:17 PM

Anyone got shortlisted for interview already?

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 15-05-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherlyj (Post 106829)

Thank you!

I think it also depends on your honours, and the relevance and academic rigor of your degree based on the institution you are in.

A female fresh grad with NTU-NIE degree, 2nd lower, will probably get 3.6k gross. I also have a friend who teaches music in the school. Used to be on advanced dip but went to take SIM music education degree which is recognized by NIE. Her salary was bumped up to quite a similar amount (3.4k) as a 2nd lower, albeit a little lower than the NTU grad.

As for how long you will stay in GEO2, if you get your degree eventually and submit, it should take maybe 3 years or less. If not. Usual progression from GEO2 to GEO 3 is around 2 years for degree/PGDE, and 4 years for Diploma.

NIE degree programme, should you decide to take it yourself, can be quite costly. I have friends who opted to take it on their own after a 2-year dip stint in schools. Firstly, there will be no pay. Secondly, they have to pay for every semester they attend. But of course when they grad they are getting the degree pay which will be a huge bump from their 2-year dip salary. Maybe you just calculate on your end whether if it is worth it to take? But you should check if your SUSS degree really only gets you +400 because that may not be the case since it depends on quite a number of factors.

As for posting back to school. New MOE directive is that teachers who are away from school for more than 1 year (be it for studies, maternity leave, NPL for any reasons) will be out of the school's strength. So MOE will post you again once you 'rejoin'.