Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 05-01-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152551)
What if all these roles have been taken up at my dept/level?

Open posting exercise, closed posting exercise, etc etc. Your own school is only a tiny red dot in the massive landscape that is the Education Service. Besides other schools, you can also seek greener pastures in HQ or academies, although 'chasing advancement' in HQ is a bit different from doing so in a school. It can be rewarding if you find yourself suited to the work. Why not explore? Don't confine yourself if you want to spread your wings.

Unregistered 07-01-2021 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152329)
Hi, just want to check if moe has freezed application for trained teachers to go back to MOE for next year?

They have too many teachers whom they are trying to get rid through attrition and etc.

So yes, no chance for ex teachers to come back as full time..

Even adjunct is not easy.

Unregistered 07-01-2021 11:06 AM

Hi I'm a teacher from USA and would like to know how can I get a teaching position in Singapore.
I'm amazed by Singapore education system and would like to be a part of it.

Unregistered 07-01-2021 10:01 PM

Just wanted to find out about your thoughts on my potential CEP and rate of progression.

Graduated PGDE in 2014 and was promoted to GEO4 in 2020. Along the way, have taken maternity twice and currently on secondment to an independent school.

i) is my rate of promotion considered average/slow? I’m not the sort to ask my colleagues/friends about such things so I really have no idea.

ii) Do you think my secondment will have an impact on my career progression? (Am really trying to get on the teaching track)

Unregistered 07-01-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152673)
Open posting exercise, closed posting exercise, etc etc. Your own school is only a tiny red dot in the massive landscape that is the Education Service. Besides other schools, you can also seek greener pastures in HQ or academies, although 'chasing advancement' in HQ is a bit different from doing so in a school. It can be rewarding if you find yourself suited to the work. Why not explore? Don't confine yourself if you want to spread your wings.

What is the difference about advancement in HQ and in school?

Unregistered 08-01-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152874)
Just wanted to find out about your thoughts on my potential CEP and rate of progression.

Graduated PGDE in 2014 and was promoted to GEO4 in 2020. Along the way, have taken maternity twice and currently on secondment to an independent school.

i) is my rate of promotion considered average/slow? I’m not the sort to ask my colleagues/friends about such things so I really have no idea.

ii) Do you think my secondment will have an impact on my career progression? (Am really trying to get on the teaching track)

Your rate of progression is ok. Based on what you shared, you should have gotten your cohort promotion in Apr 2016. 4 years from geo3 to geo4 is average, although some teachers here will argue that it is still considered fast because "some people stay at geo3 forever" (the stagnation is usually the officer's own fault, or own intention).

Secondment to an independent school should not have noticeable negative impact on your career progression.

Unregistered 10-01-2021 01:44 AM

once in a blue moon you will meet a teacher who loves his career, the rest are all lamenting everyday

booney 10-01-2021 06:24 AM

Hi, very new to this forum and this is my first post.

Is anyone able to share whether there is a demand for teaching economics currently? From reading earlier posts, there seems to be an oversupply of teachers now. What are my chances if I'm applying as someone doing a mid career switch?

Unregistered 10-01-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153017)
once in a blue moon you will meet a teacher who loves his career, the rest are all lamenting everyday

Mismatch of expectations. I would say all of us experience it, although some of us are much less affected by it than others. We are sold the idea of fulfillment and satisfaction through teaching, which is a misrepresentation of where most of our day to day job satisfaction normally comes from. Actual T&L of academic subjects is just the tip. Below that, most of our work revolves around getting our students ready to learn. This means taking care of their multitude of non-acad related needs, and also running the school in an operational sense. Sure we have allied educators and EAS colleagues to help us with some of these, but ultimately most student-facing and stakeholder-facing non-teaching work is still done by EOs.

If one thinks such work is unnecessary or degrades job satisfaction, one should consider being a private tutor whose job is almost 100% to teach. With an NIE certification, it is easier to compete in the market and command higher fees. Teaching is a skill that every MOE teacher needs to master, but ironically (or not?) teaching of acad subjects is not the thing that takes up most of the MOE teacher's mental/physical bandwidth and working hours.

Unregistered 11-01-2021 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153037)
Mismatch of expectations. I would say all of us experience it, although some of us are much less affected by it than others. We are sold the idea of fulfillment and satisfaction through teaching, which is a misrepresentation of where most of our day to day job satisfaction normally comes from. Actual T&L of academic subjects is just the tip. Below that, most of our work revolves around getting our students ready to learn. This means taking care of their multitude of non-acad related needs, and also running the school in an operational sense. Sure we have allied educators and EAS colleagues to help us with some of these, but ultimately most student-facing and stakeholder-facing non-teaching work is still done by EOs.

If one thinks such work is unnecessary or degrades job satisfaction, one should consider being a private tutor whose job is almost 100% to teach. With an NIE certification, it is easier to compete in the market and command higher fees. Teaching is a skill that every MOE teacher needs to master, but ironically (or not?) teaching of acad subjects is not the thing that takes up most of the MOE teacher's mental/physical bandwidth and working hours.

i miss my sec sch teachers. they seem so on the ball.

Unregistered 12-01-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153017)

It’s isn’t so bleak.
I do enjoy teaching and maybe would say I love it. Many of my colleagues also feel the same but we obviously have moments / plenty of depressing/burnt out/annoyed moments too.

Jia you everyone for 2021!

Unregistered 13-01-2021 01:32 PM

Flexi

Hello all,

I am considering to be flexi adjunct if possible. Or any opening?
Is there anyone here able to share with me the pay scale? Considering this due to family commitments and worry that the drop is too much as well.
If it is per hour payment.. can anyone share the pay scale or range for GEO 3/4?
Thank you in advance!

Unregistered 15-01-2021 02:41 PM

how are parent volunteers selected

i am a parent here and hoping that teachers/ppl involved in selecting parent volunteers can revert. If i write in to a sch to apply, who vets these applications? Are there any support which is typically desired?

Unregistered 16-01-2021 08:43 AM

NSman reservist

Hi all, this is a bit of a random question here.

I got an NS ICT call-up in Term 3 and it is a high-key activity (2 weeks). As you all know, Term 3 is an extremely busy period for teachers, and for students it is a critical period since it's nearing their exams, especially for the graduating cohort.

I'm very worried about my students and do not wish to be absent during that period. I don't mind sacrificing my protected time for 2 weeks of reservist instead.

1. What is the likelihood of getting a deferment? If I get the Principal to write and sign a deferment letter, will that increase the chances?

2. I was told before by higher-ups that due to reservist, I will be given extra workload to make up for what I managed to escape, otherwise it is unfair to other colleagues. Is this the same in all schools? Does NS reservist disrupt our career progression?

It would be helpful if you are able to share any similar experiences. Thank you!

Unregistered 16-01-2021 03:53 PM

Serving ICT definitely would not affect your performance. Also, it is unlikely that you will get a deferment. National interest always come first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 153911)

I got an NS ICT call-up in Term 3 and it is a high-key activity (2 weeks). As you all know, Term 3 is an extremely busy period for teachers, and for students it is a critical period since it's nearing their exams, especially for the graduating cohort.

I'm very worried about my students and do not wish to be absent during that period. I don't mind sacrificing my protected time for 2 weeks of reservist instead.

1. What is the likelihood of getting a deferment? If I get the Principal to write and sign a deferment letter, will that increase the chances?

2. I was told before by higher-ups that due to reservist, I will be given extra workload to make up for what I managed to escape, otherwise it is unfair to other colleagues. Is this the same in all schools? Does NS reservist disrupt our career progression?

It would be helpful if you are able to share any similar experiences. Thank you!

Unregistered 16-01-2021 05:49 PM

Salary

Hi,

I am curious how MOE pays us when we are doing our untrained teaching at NIE as well as after graduating from NIE.

1) if I am earning 4k and currently getting a pay cut of 3.5k while undergoing NIE training, after graduating from NIE, will they match my pay to 4k or higher (inclusive of increment)
2) Will we receive bonus such as 13th Month and PB while undergoing training at NIE?

Hope anyone can help answer my queries (:

Unregistered 16-01-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

I've been called up a few times in Term 3 and also during the national exams periods including when I was holding key exam appointments (CPE/PE/SS etc.). Since these are considered ordinary job functions, NS deferment will almost never be granted. I had appeal letters from P and cluster supt before, not effective.

Strictly, only exceptional/extraordinary job functions will be given consideration, such as overseas trips or other special appointments which make it difficult/impossible to replace you at 3 or 6 months' notice.

I have never been given extra workload just because I went for ICT. It has not affected my performance grade negatively as far as I have seen. And it should not. Penalising an employee due to ICT is actually illegal, but the challenge is to prove it la (it's hard to prove in private sector etc).

Unregistered 18-01-2021 02:57 PM

I’m currently doing my practicum at this school and this is my final posting after passing practicum. I would like to go back to my contract school due to various reasons. Does anyone know whether I should contact the praticum office to ask and will it work? And while I’m contacting the practicum office, will the P of my current school know of such request?

Unregistered 18-01-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Bro, just treat the 2 weeks as a holiday. No one is indispensable in school - don't think that your students need you very much.

Unregistered 18-01-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154282)
Bro, just treat the 2 weeks as a holiday. No one is indispensable in school - don't think that your students need you very much.

agreed. go in peace

Unregistered 19-01-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154230)
I’m currently doing my practicum at this school and this is my final posting after passing practicum. I would like to go back to my contract school due to various reasons. Does anyone know whether I should contact the praticum office to ask and will it work? And while I’m contacting the practicum office, will the P of my current school know of such request?

Depends on the reason. If it is a matter of personal preference for school type or work environment, you are unlikely to be granted your request. But if it is a more pressing matter such as change of residential address, conflicts of interest, or threats to your safety or well-being, then you can approach the practicum office or MOE HR for further advice. We can't help you here, you need to let them assess your case and determine the best course of action.

Unregistered 19-01-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154282)

Original poster here. My students aside, it feels more like my work will get disrupted, and I will have a lot to catch up on the moment I return to work.

As teachers, you would know that long term relief (under different random teachers) doesn't really benefit anyone at all.

Unregistered 19-01-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154436)
Original poster here. My students aside, it feels more like my work will get disrupted, and I will have a lot to catch up on the moment I return to work.

As teachers, you would know that long term relief (under different random teachers) doesn't really benefit anyone at all.

I believe you must be a relatively new teacher. Normally if you ICT is low-key and you’ll only be away for about a few days, then relief might be taken by random teachers. If it’s a high key ICT, your HOD would have tried to make internal arrangements for a “fixed” teacher to cover your class OR hire a contract adjunct to cover your lessons. They would know how to ensure that learning continues for students. You just need to ensure that you give them ample time to plan.

Just like what others say, no one is indispensable. Even for HODs who are still active NS men, they will still go for their ICT and rarely are their requests for deferment approved.

Unregistered 19-01-2021 07:40 PM

What committee work or CCA are you managing besides teaching? Are you the main I/C? In that case, you should have a 2IC to cover your duties. Or are you just an ordinary member of the committee or CCA? Then your IC or another member would help you to cover. Don't have to be too concerned about filling in your EPMS - I'm sure you would have planned stuff in advance such that other people can cover for you right? You can write down how you have done the planning etc. It's like in 2020, where most events were cancelled but we were told by our SLs to write down our initial phases of planning.

Or are you concerned by marking? Lol, bo pian, must chiong over the weekend. So my advice to you is to lepak during your reservist. Don't worry about students' learning. In fact they may even learn more e.g. do more self-directed learning in your absence! Don't overestimate your impact on students lol.

And lastly, I've seen VPs who go on reservist lol. I had one VP who was a Corporal and went back to lepak lol. So if senior mgmt can relac, why not you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154436)

Unregistered 20-01-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154439)
If it’s a high key ICT, your HOD would have tried to make internal arrangements for a “fixed” teacher to cover your class OR hire a contract adjunct to cover your lessons.

can I just share that...not every department head will bother to do this...

and some female colleagues will complain that it's unfair if they kena relief... end up ostracizing the guy...

Unregistered 21-01-2021 03:04 PM

Hi, wanna check with you all that does E-Sup help in build up portfolio ?

Unregistered 21-01-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154693)

Not really. That is just an administrative role that someone needs to do.

Unregistered 23-01-2021 01:23 PM

PGDE application

Hello all, not sure if this is the right place to post instead of starting a new thread. I applied for PGDE around September 2020 and went for the interview in November. I have been receiving 3 rounds of follow-up emails from MOE HR that they are still processing my application.

Anyone knows if this is normal? Should I be applying for again since the application period is up now. Am currently in final sem of Uni.

Thank you.

Unregistered 24-01-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154693)

No. It's nothing special. Everyone has exam duties in some form every year, and exam key appointments every other year or every few years. It does not set you apart from others.

Unregistered 24-01-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 154988)
Hello all, not sure if this is the right place to post instead of starting a new thread. I applied for PGDE around September 2020 and went for the interview in November. I have been receiving 3 rounds of follow-up emails from MOE HR that they are still processing my application.

Anyone knows if this is normal? Should I be applying for again since the application period is up now. Am currently in final sem of Uni.

Thank you.

Yes cos now toooo many people want to join teaching for job security. But tooooo few positions available. Out of 10 applicants these days, only 2 eventually make it to nie.

Prior that you would need to go for a complusory contract teaching stint which will last for moths even up to 1 year.

Unregistered 25-01-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155041)
Yes cos now toooo many people want to join teaching for job security. But tooooo few positions available. Out of 10 applicants these days, only 2 eventually make it to nie.

Prior that you would need to go for a complusory contract teaching stint which will last for moths even up to 1 year.

I see thanks a lot! Yup, I am aware of the contract teaching stint. Will continue waiting for a reply from them then.

aimlessinlyfe 25-01-2021 09:55 PM

Hi guys,

I am an auditor at a mid tier firm, desperately trying to jump ship as I feel so overworked and I dont have any passion in what I am doing. The pay doesn't exactly help- I graduated from UOL so my pay now is only 2.7k after a year of working.

I am thinking of joining NIE and becoming a POA teacher after my bond ends. I understand from previous posts that teachers are overworked as well, but I think it probably wont be as bad as being an auditor where I have been OT-ing till after midnight even in offpeak.

May i get any advice if the teacher's pay and benefits would be worth signing up for? I hate my current job so much I am just considering all sorts of options, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Unregistered 25-01-2021 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlessinlyfe (Post 155114)
Hi guys,

I am an auditor at a mid tier firm, desperately trying to jump ship as I feel so overworked and I dont have any passion in what I am doing. The pay doesn't exactly help- I graduated from UOL so my pay now is only 2.7k after a year of working.

I am thinking of joining NIE and becoming a POA teacher after my bond ends. I understand from previous posts that teachers are overworked as well, but I think it probably wont be as bad as being an auditor where I have been OT-ing till after midnight even in offpeak.

May i get any advice if the teacher's pay and benefits would be worth signing up for? I hate my current job so much I am just considering all sorts of options, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Ay least an auditor has more transferrable skills than a teacher

Unregistered 26-01-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Hi guys,

thanks in advance!

A teaching job is very likely to improve on your current pay and workload situation. Expect to work hard but probably not past midnight, and draw more than 2.7k. But do manage your expectations as well, it's not going to be easy to get in, and also not a bed of roses. Note that you have a private uni degree as well so the starting pay and prospects may be different compared to local autonomous uni grads.

Unregistered 27-01-2021 07:25 PM

Moe payscale

Anyone who enrolled for PDGE 2020/2021, what did you get offered
On MOE's website the range is $2760-$3500.
I am curious to know how the class of honours, NS or prior work experience affects what MOE is offering as of now. Apparently, MOE is offering lower due to COVID 19.

What I hear is NS increment = $100
FCH = $3.5
2nd Upper = $3.4
2nd Lower = $3.2
No HON = $2.8

Can anyone confirm? And if you got offered above the range, what was your qualification :)

Unregistered 29-01-2021 01:34 PM

Unfortunately UOL degrees have harder chance to be recognised...you may be rejected, or placed on GEO1 (lowest rank) if you're accepted, or have lower starting pay.

Quote:

Hi guys,

thanks in advance!

Unregistered 04-02-2021 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 155278)
Anyone who enrolled for PDGE 2020/2021, what did you get offered
On MOE's website the range is $2760-$3500.
I am curious to know how the class of honours, NS or prior work experience affects what MOE is offering as of now. Apparently, MOE is offering lower due to COVID 19.

What I hear is NS increment = $100
FCH = $3.5
2nd Upper = $3.4
2nd Lower = $3.2
No HON = $2.8

Can anyone confirm? And if you got offered above the range, what was your qualification :)

I was 2nd lower with NS and started at 3.3 almost 3.4k but this was quite long ago.
Either starting salaries have been frozen for many years or MOE is indeed offering lower starting salaries due to covid.

Unregistered 04-02-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Hi guys,

thanks in advance!

I don't think the teacher's pay will be too far off from what you're drawing now

Unregistered 06-02-2021 08:11 AM

I joined as a mid career in 2018 and was given a starting salary for my contract at 4k. But if your a fresh grad the numbers you've posted looks just about right.

Unregistered 07-02-2021 09:59 AM

Flexi Adjunct approved, what next?

Hi everyone,

I left the service almost 10 years ago for overseas teaching following my husband’s postings, and am newly back in SG. My FAJT application (Chinese teacher) was just approved, and I am not sure what to do next. Do I call schools and ask directly or should I send an email with my resume? I moved away from my last SG school so my preference would be nearer home in Punggol. I’m hoping with newer schools there the chance of me finding something would be higher. Any advice would be deeply appreciated! TIA!