Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 09-06-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137485)
Care to share what you mean by basic processes?

Ya, I'm interested to also know what is meant by basic processes.

Unregistered 09-06-2020 11:08 PM

If i rejected MOE 3 times in 6 years will i be blacklisted the next time? They refuse to give me my preferred teaching subject

Unregistered 10-06-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137512)
If i rejected MOE 3 times in 6 years will i be blacklisted the next time? They refuse to give me my preferred teaching subject

Even as a bystander, i will blacklist you.

The reason they did not give you your preferred teaching subject is due to excess teachers in those subjects namely, maths and science.

They are in need of language teachers and primary school teachers

Unregistered 10-06-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Will become harder to be shortlisted for interview again. I went for interview twice and was both rejected. Couldn't get shortlisted again.

It is very difficult to get in these days if you want sec/jc subjects, especially for math and science

Unregistered 10-06-2020 10:03 AM

Hi all,
Anyone here knows when cluster interviews for KP positions are normally held? Issit all yr round?
Thanks!

Unregistered 10-06-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137553)
Hi all,
Anyone here knows when cluster interviews for KP positions are normally held? Issit all yr round?
Thanks!

Twice a year, mid and end.

Unregistered 10-06-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136710)
It's not uncommon for my HOD to forget to schedule these meet-ups, it didn't take place for those of us with the HOD as RO. But the other colleague who's under my new RO did meet up with the new RO for goal-setting; I didn't have any such meeting scheduled.

It doesn't appear to be a last-minute decision, I think they simply forgot to inform me.

Just hope that your RO knows what you are doing since you mentioned that both of you are in the same department. Otherwise, good luck. It is about time to highlight those officers who have not been performing up to standard. Guess who will your RO highlight?

Unregistered 10-06-2020 05:30 PM

Wage adjustment

Just checked PacGov and no salary deduction this month? Anyone else can confirm this?

Unregistered 10-06-2020 05:33 PM

No cut yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135836)
10% MVC cut coming in June announcement.
. Still thinking of promotion increment. Won't be surprised if there isn't promotion increment for next year.

Just checked PacGov and no difference for this month. Maybe to be announced and adjusted next month?

Unregistered 10-06-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

if you know your subjects are not in demand and there are excess teachers why did you even bother trying a 3rd time within such a short period?

Unregistered 10-06-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137633)
Just checked PacGov and no difference for this month. Maybe to be announced and adjusted next month?

Or maybe that person was talking BS and spreading fake news.

If there is going to be a pay cut, the heads of civil service would have addressed us long ago and talked some crap about SGunited and making sacrifices to go through tough times together bla bla bla. Then you know paycut is coming. So far, don't have.

Unregistered 10-06-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137641)
if you know your subjects are not in demand and there are excess teachers why did you even bother trying a 3rd time within such a short period?

i guess i was foolish.

anyway, my passion is teaching and if MOE dictates every single aspect of who i teach, and what i teach, maybe it's better for me not to join such a rigid organisation. i can teach anywhere else. guess that's why many successful teachers turn toward giving tuition - more money, and more freedom/flexibility

Unregistered 10-06-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137678)
i guess i was foolish.

anyway, my passion is teaching and if MOE dictates every single aspect of who i teach, and what i teach, maybe it's better for me not to join such a rigid organisation. i can teach anywhere else. guess that's why many successful teachers turn toward giving tuition - more money, and more freedom/flexibility

YES! That is a good learning point from your experience. It is just a taste of how rigid MOE (and the civil service really) is as an organisation. If you do not want to deal with this sort of thing, chase your passion in education in the private sector or in independent schools. All the best!

Unregistered 11-06-2020 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137739)
YES! That is a good learning point from your experience. It is just a taste of how rigid MOE (and the civil service really) is as an organisation. If you do not want to deal with this sort of thing, chase your passion in education in the private sector or in independent schools. All the best!

hi, i am not the prev poster but just want to ask, what is route for independent school like? do i just apply directly to them or do i still need to go to nie? also i heard private schools pay more and work less. is that true?

Unregistered 11-06-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137768)
hi, i am not the prev poster but just want to ask, what is route for independent school like? do i just apply directly to them or do i still need to go to nie? also i heard private schools pay more and work less. is that true?

you can apply directly to independent schools, they have their own career portal and your application is handled by the school itself

Unregistered 11-06-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137782)
you can apply directly to independent schools, they have their own career portal and your application is handled by the school itself

Former teacher. Just wanted to give some perspective on what's been discussed recently.

Private sector/tuition can be very liberating. Much more autonomy to teach what you think best, etc. I don't think the private education sector is in particularly great shape at the moment, though. There's quite a big risk. I know of a DD at MOE who left for private sector and the company closed less than 6 months later. Heard of tuition centres poaching tutors to get their students to enroll. If the system is cannibalizing itself, maybe it's not the best time to join.

Re independent schools, it's good if you find yourself aligned with values of the school. Downside is that upward progression can be more difficult. In MOE, if it's time for you to become HOD/VP, there's almost always a school SOMEWHERE that needs a new HOD/VP. In an independent school, opportunities are based on attrition, essentially.

Unregistered 11-06-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137768)

Chnces are close to slim if you are not moe trained.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137889)
Chnces are close to slim if you are not moe trained.

I do see like 1-2 independent schools advertising at my university career fair before

Unregistered 12-06-2020 05:50 PM

There is no more oct promotions right?

clarrissa 12-06-2020 07:45 PM

PGDE programme

Hi! I am starting my compulsory untrained teaching stint soon and I am hoping to get some tips/advices from current teachers with regards to that. It honestly seems a little daunting given that we will have to report straight to the school without much experience (but nonetheless, still very excited to start this journey!).

It will be great if anyone can provide me with some advices in this aspect, how the stint will be like or anything useful for a beginner teacher. Thank you so much everyone! :)

Unregistered 12-06-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarrissa (Post 138024)
Hi! I am starting my compulsory untrained teaching stint soon and I am hoping to get some tips/advices from current teachers with regards to that. It honestly seems a little daunting given that we will have to report straight to the school without much experience (but nonetheless, still very excited to start this journey!).

It will be great if anyone can provide me with some advices in this aspect, how the stint will be like or anything useful for a beginner teacher. Thank you so much everyone! :)

The stint is a chance for you to think about if you really want to do this career. Bond penalty starts the moment you step into NIE for training. If you change your mind about teaching, can leave when the contract teaching is up without penalty. It is also for MOE and the school to access if you are suited to teach.

Most people are able to pass the contract teaching stage. But I have known a few who passed but changed their mind and left to do another job, and also a few who unfortunately failed the contract teaching.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

How long is your untrained training stint? To put things in perspective, when i first started out, o had to go through contract teaching where i am untrained. Only after the school deem i am suitable, would my name be out forward for admission to nie.

For the first week, you will most probably get to see various teachers in action. Thereafter, you would probably be given classes to take over.

Are you in PGDE scheme?

clarrissa 12-06-2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138032)
How long is your untrained training stint? To put things in perspective, when i first started out, o had to go through contract teaching where i am untrained. Only after the school deem i am suitable, would my name be out forward for admission to nie.

For the first week, you will most probably get to see various teachers in action. Thereafter, you would probably be given classes to take over.

Are you in PGDE scheme?

It should be around a few months, yes I am in the PGDE scheme! I understand that perhaps it is not that easy to fail the stint.. but any tips or advices to do well for it? Classroom management is definitely going to be a steep learning curve. Or anything that will help :) Thank you!

clarrissa 12-06-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138028)
The stint is a chance for you to think about if you really want to do this career. Bond penalty starts the moment you step into NIE for training. If you change your mind about teaching, can leave when the contract teaching is up without penalty. It is also for MOE and the school to access if you are suited to teach.

Most people are able to pass the contract teaching stage. But I have known a few who passed but changed their mind and left to do another job, and also a few who unfortunately failed the contract teaching.

Thanks for your reply! It is comforting to know that most will pass the contract teaching stage. Just wondering if there is a certain type of teacher schools are in general looking for, or how one can perform well? any criteria of sorts?

Unregistered 13-06-2020 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarrissa (Post 138042)
Thanks for your reply! It is comforting to know that most will pass the contract teaching stage. Just wondering if there is a certain type of teacher schools are in general looking for, or how one can perform well? any criteria of sorts?

Don't worry about being "the type" of teacher schools are looking for, you should create your own journey during your contract stint. Make your own mistakes, just don't lay your hands on students or break the code and conduct/ ethos. Learn and emulate from the level teachers on how they manage their students, pick up some chimes to signal for attention with younger students. Be humble and yet don't be shy to ask for teaching resources from colleagues. Be proactive in volunteering your assistance and share your resources with others too. Looking positive is a plus and leaves a great impression. Especially if you would like the return to your contract school because the P has the power to request for you to be back in the school for your first posting upon completion of your pdge.

Unregistered 13-06-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarrissa (Post 138042)

It depends on the school you are posted to and what kind of students you are able to handle. Every school is different in their expectations

If this is the first time you are going to teach in a school, you will find out soon what kind of students you are able to connect with. Every class has their own unique problem and unique way of handling and getting their attention, so you will need to remember each class’s characteristic

Unregistered 13-06-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarrissa (Post 138041)
It should be around a few months, yes I am in the PGDE scheme! I understand that perhaps it is not that easy to fail the stint.. but any tips or advices to do well for it? Classroom management is definitely going to be a steep learning curve. Or anything that will help :) Thank you!

Yes, classroom management is very important. Learning cannot take place if you can't manage the class well, which will cause high chance to fail contract teaching. Most of the people I knew who failed is due to this reason, they just couldn't manage the students.

Unregistered 13-06-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Try to do as much lesson observation of your colleagues as you can. Take note of what looks like it works, and what doesn't, and try to figure out how to adapt what you think might work for it. Experiment. Spend some time to get to know your students. Learn their names. Figure out what their quirks are, who their friends are, etc. A student who thinks you care about him, is more likely to listen.

Unregistered 13-06-2020 05:29 PM

Will untrained contract teachers get to do everything that a regular teacher does like lesson planning, teaching, CCA...? Are there anything that schools will not let them take charge of?

Unregistered 13-06-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138094)
Will untrained contract teachers get to do everything that a regular teacher does like lesson planning, teaching, CCA...? Are there anything that schools will not let them take charge of?

Schools will usually give untrained contract teachers the full load so that they can fully experience & decide if teaching is really something they want to pursue.

Unregistered 13-06-2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Yes you need to do lesson planning, teaching, and will be assigned to a CCA.

You are at the school for 6 months or 1 year, so there will be many opportunities for you to experience the work of a teacher on a normal day basis.

Unregistered 14-06-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Taking charge of overseas trips, or being overall in charge of any activity that involves danger/risk, such as physical activities (rock climbing, etc).

Expect some degree of oversight, especially starting out.

Unregistered 14-06-2020 05:44 PM

Has anyone gotten an interview or notification for the may application?

Unregistered 15-06-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Depends from school to school. Some will treat you like a regular teacher with form class, CCA, committee, etc. In some schools, you might even be asked to teach on the very first day (especially if there are shortages for your subject). In others, you observe and slowly ease in. By and large, you should expect to teach or co-teach a few classes.

Unregistered 18-06-2020 02:34 PM

Ex Teacher rejoining service

Hi, just wondering are there any ex teachers who rejoin the service? I was recently informed by HR that my reappointment to full time is successful pending medical clearance, will Vital inform me my pay when they email me regarding the medical appointment? is my pay gonna be the same as my last drawn or will they take into account any inflation/merit increment during the years I have left sevice?

2014: C (GEO 1A1)
2015:C (GEO 3)
2016: C
2017:C+ (open posting at the end of 2017)
2018:Resigned in Dec
2019: FAJT
2020: FAJT

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 18-06-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138733)
Hi, just wondering are there any ex teachers who rejoin the service? I was recently informed by HR that my reappointment to full time is successful pending medical clearance, will Vital inform me my pay when they email me regarding the medical appointment? is my pay gonna be the same as my last drawn or will they take into account any inflation/merit increment during the years I have left sevice?

2014: C (GEO 1A1)
2015:C (GEO 3)
2016: C
2017:C+ (open posting at the end of 2017)
2018:Resigned in Dec
2019: FAJT
2020: FAJT

Your pay will be tied to your current payscale (GEO 3 - Ceiling at 5.6k). There may be some revisions but it should be minor. You should probably see a promotion to GEO4 soon also because they will look at the YIS, provided that you are still competent at your current GEO rank. Age will matter also as it adjusts the CEP.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 18-06-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarrissa (Post 138041)

Secondary or Primary?

I think others have already shared what is essential. You be yourself and portray what you feel you as the identity of a teacher should be. Then you navigate and negotiate from there. That is the most genuine method there can be.

Classroom management there is really no best solution. Different class, down to different students, require different ways. But one standard rule is, don't try to manage the class with the aim of becoming popular/scared of offending people. That is always the first pitfall for many untrained and beginning teachers. I myself have been through this journey. As long as you manage the class with the goal that students have a conducive environment to learn, then keep reflecting on how to better the management without (e.g. becoming a monster) then you will better your craft. More importantly, your continual presence is needed (i.e. if a teacher takes too many MCs, it will indirectly affect classroom management because the presence of the teacher will not be felt on days when he/she is not around).

Wish you all the best!

Unregistered 23-06-2020 08:26 AM

Hi teachers,

Just received an email that I am nominated for election duty.
May I know if anyone knows who do I contact if i am requesting for an excuse? Is it my ARO and SPO? This is my first time and Im currently heavily pregnant.

Thank you!

Unregistered 23-06-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138204)
Has anyone gotten an interview or notification for the may application?

Just went for the interview today.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 23-06-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139359)
Hi teachers,

Just received an email that I am nominated for election duty.
May I know if anyone knows who do I contact if i am requesting for an excuse? Is it my ARO and SPO? This is my first time and Im currently heavily pregnant.

Thank you!

ARO first. Your ARO should be calling for a cascade briefing soon. You should receive either email or whatsapp notification. You can inform him/her then. But most probably they will still ask you to write in to ELD