Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

rosnyus 16-05-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134249)
Yes, CNA reported this on 30 March. For public and Civil servants. Details to be made in June.

okay i just found some info

https://www.psd.gov.sg/press-room/pr...o-take-pay-cut

only for *the political and public service leadership will take a pay cut. In solidarity with our fellow Singaporeans, all political office holders and Members of Parliament (MPs) will take a one-month cut in their respective salary and allowances, while senior public service officers will take a half-month pay cut. These officers include Permanent Secretaries, Deputy Secretaries and Chief Executive Officers of statutory boards.*

Normal teachers not included lah. Only senior public servants.

Unregistered 16-05-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134253)
Pls quote your source

s://.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/wage-council-covid-19-salaries-basic-12589242

Any wage reductions should be applied to local and foreign employees fairly, NWC added.

“In times of crisis, we share the pain - each making mutual sacrifices to sustain businesses and save jobs,” Manpower Minister Josephine Teo added.

The Manpower Ministry’s permanent secretary Mr Aubeck Kam said that discussions are ongoing within the public sector, and announcements about public servant wages will be made in June.

Unregistered 16-05-2020 10:23 AM

Teachers and Civil, public servants all included. Wait for announcement in June.. Dun know cut how much.

s://.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/wage-council-covid-19-salaries-basic-12589242

Unregistered 16-05-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosnyus (Post 134257)

[s://.psd.gov.sg/press-room/press-releases/frontline-workers-combatting-covid-19-to-get-special-bonus-political-leadership-and-senior-public-service-officials-to-take-pay-cut[/

only for *the political and public service leadership will take a pay cut. In solidarity with our fellow Singaporeans, all political office holders and Members of Parliament (MPs) will take a one-month cut in their respective salary and allowances, while senior public service officers will take a half-month pay cut. These officers include Permanent Secretaries, Deputy Secretaries and Chief Executive Officers of statutory boards.*

Got cut, includes normal public servants, civil servants also teachers.
Now it's just dub know how much. Announcement to be made in June. Check the CNA report on 30 March

.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/wage-council-covid-19-salaries-basic-12589242

Unregistered 16-05-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134260)
Got cut, includes normal public servants, civil servants also teachers.
Now it's just dub know how much. Announcement to be made in June. Check the CNA report on 30 March

.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/wage-council-covid-19-salaries-basic-12589242

Senior public servants only...means if just join as fresh grad wont cut right?

Unregistered 16-05-2020 01:38 PM

Sars 2003, even Timescale servants are cut.

Unregistered 16-05-2020 05:50 PM

That announcement was from 28 Feb (check the date) - before all the further lockdown measures and CNA's 30 Mar article.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosnyus (Post 134257)

[s://.psd.gov.sg/press-room/press-releases/frontline-workers-combatting-covid-19-to-get-special-bonus-political-leadership-and-senior-public-service-officials-to-take-pay-cut[/

Unregistered 16-05-2020 06:13 PM

they should only cut pay for MX 10 and higher, and leave the rest alone

Unregistered 16-05-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133986)
How long does it take for MOE/NIE to offer? I applied in August 2019 and went for all the interviews and medical from Sep-Feb but no news. The pre-NIE teaching experience is supposed to be in June 2020. Is there a delay due to COVID?

When was the last time you heard from MOE HR staff? If it’s more than a month ago, you may want to email to the recruitment department to have a check.

Unregistered 16-05-2020 10:00 PM

Well..... in 2003 cut. I think now hopefully won't. Maybe touch all the bonus.

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/manpower/retain-workers-refrain-from-pay-cuts-labour-chief

They are trying to ask the private sector to refrain and if the gov does it, the private sector is going to do it more rampantly and it won't help much. I suspect it's the bonuses that will be gone.

Plus imagine the services we provide after the month long HBL, cutting rank and file is just gonna dampen morale and all.

Not good when you want people to work and u just cut pay

Unregistered 17-05-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134294)
they should only cut pay for MX 10 and higher, and leave the rest alone

Teacher got no mx scale.

We only have
GEO 1,2,3,4,5
SEO 1,2,3
Superscale

Unregistered 17-05-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134311)
Well..... in 2003 cut. I think now hopefully won't. Maybe touch all the bonus.

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/manpower/retain-workers-refrain-from-pay-cuts-labour-chief

They are trying to ask the private sector to refrain and if the gov does it, the private sector is going to do it more rampantly and it won't help much. I suspect it's the bonuses that will be gone.

Plus imagine the services we provide after the month long HBL, cutting rank and file is just gonna dampen morale and all.

Not good when you want people to work and u just cut pay

Agreed. Rather the temporary perks like bonus gone than a pay cut as who knows when the next salary revision will be. Personally, I've just got promoted and given birth. If kena pay cut it's equivalent to not having a promotion and my baby got to downgrade milk formula :p

Unregistered 17-05-2020 08:35 PM

If it's a sector-wide pay cut, then the promotion helping you to maintain your previous pay… that's better than nothing, right?

But all speculation now lah. Nothing to really do other than wait and see. And maybe not overspend right now, haha…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134454)
Agreed. Rather the temporary perks like bonus gone than a pay cut as who knows when the next salary revision will be. Personally, I've just got promoted and given birth. If kena pay cut it's equivalent to not having a promotion and my baby got to downgrade milk formula :p

Unregistered 18-05-2020 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134504)
If it's a sector-wide pay cut, then the promotion helping you to maintain your previous pay… that's better than nothing, right?

But all speculation now lah. Nothing to really do other than wait and see. And maybe not overspend right now, haha…

Well yes, that's true too :) guess we got to be thankful that we are very much protected and not having to be retrenched.

Unregistered 19-05-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babypanda (Post 132464)
hi I was wondering anyone knows what is the salary range for MOE sch counsellor? It's on the MOE website ($2,900 to $4,610), but seems very low for a postgraduate applicant. Thanks.

Do note that school counsellor is contract based these days.

Unregistered 20-05-2020 06:42 PM

Open posting is still not on?

Unregistered 20-05-2020 10:02 PM

i heard that they bumped up the starting salary for teachers. GEO2 untrained now is 3.8k. great time to be a teacher man

Unregistered 20-05-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134721)
i heard that they bumped up the starting salary for teachers. GEO2 untrained now is 3.8k. great time to be a teacher man

This is only for PGDE holders though.

Unregistered 20-05-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Pay cut is coming even for GEOs, SEOs and superscale.

It's very very hard to get into teaching now. It's extremely competitive and hardly any vacancies for maths / science majors.

They are actively looking at language teachers and primary school teachers.

Unregistered 21-05-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134727)
Pay cut is coming even for GEOs, SEOs and superscale.

It's very very hard to get into teaching now. It's extremely competitive and hardly any vacancies for maths / science majors.

They are actively looking at language teachers and primary school teachers.

also looking for kindergarden teachers

agree that very difficult to enter teaching these days because of little vacancies after school mergers, lesser new teachers needed

Unregistered 21-05-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

I see 2.7 - 3.5 on their website

Unregistered 21-05-2020 02:20 PM

Think it'll be another month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134709)
Open posting is still not on?

Unregistered 21-05-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134749)
I see 2.7 - 3.5 on their website

that's why I was surprised when I saw the offer letter.
it has been 2.7-3.5 since before I started uni. they should update their website

Unregistered 21-05-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134772)
it has been 2.7-3.5 since before I started uni. they should update their website

is it because you have some work experience prior to joining?

Unregistered 21-05-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134772)

Males who have completed NS get an additional $300 or so, bumping their salary up to $3832.

Unregistered 21-05-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134782)
Males who have completed NS get an additional $300 or so, bumping their salary up to $3832.

oh, no wonder. makes sense now. $300 is a lot!

Unregistered 22-05-2020 06:19 PM

Any idea what's the difference between level head & subject head?

Unregistered 22-05-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134880)

Technically, LH will assist in a subject that the HOD does teach (e.g. LH/Maths might split the levels with the HOD/Maths). Whereas SH is pretty much the IC of a subject within the department that the HOD doesn't teach (e.g. SH/Biology if the HOD/Science is not Bio-trained).

In practice, I've observed that schools may not really care about the distinction… e.g. I've seen plenty of SH/EL or SH/Maths (which doesn't really make sense). But anyway, they are effectively equivalent in terms of 'rank' lah.

Unregistered 24-05-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134880)

level head usually takes charge of the discipline and overall admin matters of that particular level

subject head is abit like assistant hod of that subject

Unregistered 24-05-2020 02:59 PM

Sounds like you're describing Year Head, not Level Head…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135010)
level head usually takes charge of the discipline and overall admin matters of that particular level

subject head is abit like assistant hod of that subject

deeperthoughts 25-05-2020 07:20 PM

Enquiry about ST

Just wondering if any kind soul can provide me with some information about the following. Currently am a GEO5 officer. Typically how long after
1) appointment as an ST
2) clear cluster interview & portfolio submission

can the next promotion occur?

Thank you.

JustCurious

Unregistered 25-05-2020 08:17 PM

Enquiry about ST

There is no general time limit.. it all depends on the quality of your portfolio and your Principal. If they are confident, they could send you for cluster interview at the next available opportunity...

So the key question is ... are they preparing you for the role.. that is the question.. if yes.. then build up your portfolio fast.. include everything significant things that you have done in the past.. if there is nothing much.. then take a year or 2 to build up.. while portfolio is one thing.. you must learn to think like an ST.. go and read up on some literature.. identify a pet focus area related to your discipline that you want to focus to strengthen T&L.

hope i address your query.

deeperthoughts 25-05-2020 10:11 PM

Enquiry about ST

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the school that I am at is pretty much leaving it to me to do my own thing. I have to plan my own initiatives and I don’t really have very high visibility in this place. I’m assessing the situation to see if I should leave as I turned down other opportunities to come here. I had other better opportunities passed over. In addition, the furthest I can go is ST as discussed with my P because there is no base of STs for this subject.

Unregistered 26-05-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeperthoughts (Post 135157)
Just wondering if any kind soul can provide me with some information about the following. Currently am a GEO5 officer. Typically how long after
1) appointment as an ST
2) clear cluster interview & portfolio submission

can the next promotion occur?

Thank you.

JustCurious

Most classroom teachers max out at GEO 5. In fact, many do not progress further beyond that. Unless your school has specifically identified you as a ST designate, else there is no need to bother with it.

Unregistered 26-05-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeperthoughts (Post 135192)
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the school that I am at is pretty much leaving it to me to do my own thing. I have to plan my own initiatives and I don’t really have very high visibility in this place. I’m assessing the situation to see if I should leave as I turned down other opportunities to come here. I had other better opportunities passed over. In addition, the furthest I can go is ST as discussed with my P because there is no base of STs for this subject.

It seems like the school is not really interested in grooming you / deemed you as a ST potential since you mentjoned that they are leaving it to you to do your own thing.

Most classroom teachers max out at GEO 5. If you think the pasture is greener elsewhere, you can consider leaving during open posting

Unregistered 26-05-2020 01:40 PM

What are the career prospects and opportunities of ST track compared to SH/HOD track?

Unregistered 26-05-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135256)
What are the career prospects and opportunities of ST track compared to SH/HOD track?

ST, SH/HOD are identified and groomed by school management..

For ST, you must be very strong with your T&L and demonstrate strong curriculum leadership. It focuses on teaching and mentoring.

For GEO 5 teachers not on leadership track, only 1 out of 10 will eventually become ST. Your school must support you, endorse your for panel interview. Too be honest, ST ship is not glamorous, except you will eventually hit SEO 1 grade similar to SH. If you are in it for the money, supplementary external private tuition would have covered way more than SEO 1.

If you are good, the school would have identified you and groomed you. No need to chase after it. Too be honest, I would rather do what's required of a Happy Ordinary Teacher at GEO 5.

deeperthoughts 26-05-2020 10:46 PM

Enquiry about ST

I think pursuing ST-ship is the same at most places. You have to seek your own opportunities and build your portfolio on your own. *Quoted from a very reliable source* Unlike leadership track, where to achieve a KPI, there are still JH that you can delegate out work to. There are build-in opportunities and portfolio designated for leadership track. The ST has no one to fall back on except himself/herself and lacking in "real opportunities". To be very honest, I gave up a HOD position to join this school.

deeperthoughts 26-05-2020 11:03 PM

Enquiry about ST

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeperthoughts (Post 135317)
I think pursuing ST-ship is the same at most places. You have to seek your own opportunities and build your portfolio on your own. *Quoted from a very reliable source* Unlike leadership track, where to achieve a KPI, there are still JH that you can delegate out work to. There are build-in opportunities and portfolio designated for leadership track. The ST has no one to fall back on except himself/herself and lacking in "real opportunities". To be very honest, I gave up a HOD position to join this school.

To quantify, I was looking forward to mentoring duties as an ST, but the unfortunate thing is this subject has practically few or no mentees in the pipeline. So I can imagine even if I do become an ST, it will be unjust for me to just mentor one colleague. Conferences are very few and far between, unlike EMS subjects. So maybe I just dug my own grave.....

Unregistered 27-05-2020 12:18 AM

How about career progression for ST is it harder than the leadership track?