Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 27-05-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeperthoughts (Post 135317)
I think pursuing ST-ship is the same at most places. You have to seek your own opportunities and build your portfolio on your own. *Quoted from a very reliable source* Unlike leadership track, where to achieve a KPI, there are still JH that you can delegate out work to. There are build-in opportunities and portfolio designated for leadership track. The ST has no one to fall back on except himself/herself and lacking in "real opportunities". To be very honest, I gave up a HOD position to join this school.

Not true. I have friends who were identified as ST potential, the school identified them after a few years and were given opportunities. It was explicitly spelled out by their school management. However, they were not keen to take up the offer. They are in this not for the glamor and etc.

These friends include language teachers, math, science and humanities teacher. Not only were they excellent classroom teachers with strong curriculum leadership. They are also very nice person to work with.

Unregistered 27-05-2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeperthoughts (Post 135325)
To quantify, I was looking forward to mentoring duties as an ST, but the unfortunate thing is this subject has practically few or no mentees in the pipeline. So I can imagine even if I do become an ST, it will be unjust for me to just mentor one colleague. Conferences are very few and far between, unlike EMS subjects. So maybe I just dug my own grave.....

Are you a D&T teacher?

deeperthoughts 27-05-2020 02:53 AM

Enquiry about ST

I have been offered this twice in 2 different schools albeit for two different subjects. If I were to compare, the push for opportunities is quite varying from both schools. One kept pushing for more, while the other did nothing. I think ultimately it boils down to what I want, and willing to work for. I should speak to my RO about developmental plans before signalling a move. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Unregistered 27-05-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeperthoughts (Post 135343)
I have been offered this twice in 2 different schools albeit for two different subjects. If I were to compare, the push for opportunities is quite varying from both schools. One kept pushing for more, while the other did nothing. I think ultimately it boils down to what I want, and willing to work for. I should speak to my RO about developmental plans before signalling a move. Thanks everyone for the advice.

i love to be a teacher ..... cai cai alot!

Unregistered 27-05-2020 05:06 PM

Anyone emailed to ye kung before? He got reply or not?

SubbuPD 27-05-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 21606)
Teaching is considered a professional field. It has prospects but is very demanding and they expect you to be perfect. Sort of like, teacher must be perfect role model and cannot go to club, teacher cannot smoke, teacher cannot have sex, etc.

I'm exaggerating, of course.

If you're planning to do a phd you can probably end up as a principal very fast. But then it becomes admin rather than teaching. Of course, as a teacher nowadays it's still more admin than teaching too. You've got to juggle all the involvement in all kinds of committees and actual teaching.

There was this joke a friend told me last time.. it was something like, "so this school has best volleyball team, best this, best that, has Singapore Quality Class certification, and produced the top O level scorer. But do they still educate children about what living life is about?"

True. I always respect Teachers. Phd is required though to flourish in this field.

Unregistered 30-05-2020 12:56 PM

Can anyone share the promotion increment from GEO5 to SEO1, and SEO1 to SEO2?

Unregistered 30-05-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135813)
Can anyone share the promotion increment from GEO5 to SEO1, and SEO1 to SEO2?

10% MVC cut coming in June announcement.
. Still thinking of promotion increment. Won't be surprised if there isn't promotion increment for next year.

Unregistered 30-05-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135836)
. Still thinking of promotion increment. Won't be surprised if there isn't promotion increment for next year.

Don稚 think so short termed.

Unregistered 30-05-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135852)
Don稚 think so short termed.

If you are in it for the money, then teaching is not the best way lah.

GEO 5 max out at $7845
SEO 1 max out at $9060
SEO 2 max out at $10+k

Unregistered 30-05-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Erm this is a salary forum....

Unregistered 01-06-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135916)
Erm this is a salary forum....

MVC is part of salary, no?

Unregistered 02-06-2020 03:52 PM

Is it possible that you will be failed during KP interview?

Unregistered 02-06-2020 05:14 PM

Open posting has started

Unregistered 02-06-2020 10:00 PM

Think it's possible, but rare? Haven't heard of such cases before.

SLs will usually be quite suitable before fielding candidates. Also probably try to prep them so they don't end up 'losing face' =P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136296)
Is it possible that you will be failed during KP interview?

Unregistered 03-06-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136337)
Think it's possible, but rare? Haven't heard of such cases before.

SLs will usually be quite suitable before fielding candidates. Also probably try to prep them so they don't end up 'losing face' =P

just cleared my AYH interview last week. according to my VP, failing is quite rare. also. the level of prep is quite important. my school leaders spent quite abit of time preparing each of us, so the actual interview was fairly straightforward.

Unregistered 03-06-2020 10:00 AM

Don't be silly... Are you expecting people to be promoted without getting promotional increment meh? PI/MI is a separate issue from MVC deduction... The former is permanent while the latter is temporary... and they can come together.
Quote:

Unregistered 03-06-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136390)
Don't be silly... Are you expecting people to be promoted without getting promotional increment meh? PI/MI is a separate issue from MVC deduction... The former is permanent while the latter is temporary... and they can come together.

National investment firm Temasek will be freezing the salaries and promotion increments of its staff from April to help raise funds for people affected by the coronavirus outbreak.

In addition to these freezes, senior management, which includes managing directors and above, can take a voluntary base salary cut of up to 5 per cent, for up to a year.

Possible for GIC and TEMASEK

Unregistered 03-06-2020 03:32 PM

Any teachers/AED(LBS) here can share more insights of what does an AED(LBS) do?

Do they have to do any teaching as part of their job scope of helping special needs students?

Are the AEDs usually grads/non-grads and how much are their salary lower than teachers for fresh grads?

Thanks.

Unregistered 03-06-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136429)
Any teachers/AED(LBS) here can share more insights of what does an AED(LBS) do?

Do they have to do any teaching as part of their job scope of helping special needs students?

Are the AEDs usually grads/non-grads and how much are their salary lower than teachers for fresh grads?

Thanks.

AEDs are phased out since 2018. Schools are actively encouraging AEDs to convert to be preschool teachers. AEDs are on renewable contract, some AEDs contracts were not renewed.

Unregistered 03-06-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136433)
AEDs are phased out since 2018. Schools are actively encouraging AEDs to convert to be preschool teachers. AEDs are on renewable contract, some AEDs contracts were not renewed.

AED T&L is phased out, but not AED LBS. Get your fact right. There were AEDs T&L who have gone for training & back as AEDs LBS.

Unregistered 03-06-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136386)
just cleared my AYH interview last week. according to my VP, failing is quite rare. also. the level of prep is quite important. my school leaders spent quite abit of time preparing each of us, so the actual interview was fairly straightforward.

Congratulations. How long was the interview?

Unregistered 04-06-2020 12:56 AM

Quote:

Congrats! Able to share the questions asked and what answers are they looking for?
Do any of you know that in terms of rank, is AYH equivalent to SH or LH? Or is AYH viewed as a higher rank? If given a choice to choose, which is better?

Thank you!

Unregistered 04-06-2020 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136513)
Do any of you know that in terms of rank, is AYH equivalent to SH or LH? Or is AYH viewed as a higher rank? If given a choice to choose, which is better?

Thank you!

Equivalent. All SEO1 roles.

Whether it's "better" ultimately depends on the type of portfolio you prefer taking up. It's possible that your SLs might value student management over academic focus (or vice versa); but in the long run I think portfolio fit is more important.

Unregistered 04-06-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136453)
Congratulations. How long was the interview?

about half an hour, over Zoom :)

Unregistered 04-06-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136533)
Equivalent. All SEO1 roles.

Whether it's "better" ultimately depends on the type of portfolio you prefer taking up. It's possible that your SLs might value student management over academic focus (or vice versa); but in the long run I think portfolio fit is more important.

Yes, AYH role is equivalent to SH/LH while YH is equivalent to HOD.

Unregistered 04-06-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136513)
Congrats! Able to share the questions asked and what answers are they looking for?

Thank you!

Some of the questions asked were:

1. Why do want to serve as an AYH?
2. What is one thing you would focus on as an AYH?
3. What is one competency you have worked on since taking up the acting AYH role?
4. What are some of the challenges you face?
5. How would you prepare your students when they return from HBL?

As for the answers, you should be able to link the school strat plan / MOE objectives with your points. Don't give too much on the operations, display your vision and ability to think with a broader perspective and lastly, be positive!

Unregistered 04-06-2020 05:54 PM

I was informed today that my RO is not whom I think it is; previously, my RO has always been my HOD, but today I was told that it will be another KP in my department. This KP reached out to set up an appointment for Mid Year EPMS with me and let me know that he is my RO for the year, though I may not have been told yet.

I'm taken aback by this sudden information, as my impression is that we should be informed at the beginning of the year. Is this quite right? The other colleague who is under my new RO was informed at the beginning of the year (and also knew that I was under this KP), but I was not.

For context, my new RO has occupied the same KP position since last year, it is not a new appointment. Advice appreciated!

Unregistered 04-06-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136663)
I was informed today that my RO is not whom I think it is; previously, my RO has always been my HOD, but today I was told that it will be another KP in my department. This KP reached out to set up an appointment for Mid Year EPMS with me and let me know that he is my RO for the year, though I may not have been told yet.

I'm taken aback by this sudden information, as my impression is that we should be informed at the beginning of the year. Is this quite right? The other colleague who is under my new RO was informed at the beginning of the year (and also knew that I was under this KP), but I was not.

For context, my new RO has occupied the same KP position since last year, it is not a new appointment. Advice appreciated!

But isn't there a meet up session in the beginning of the year to discuss key plan for the year?

Unregistered 04-06-2020 07:00 PM

Amusing. Just got to know that one of my colleagues has been sent for KP interview. The same officer has been put down quite badly during ranking last year but still got a good appraisal in the end due to SL's preference.

Unregistered 04-06-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136664)
But isn't there a meet up session in the beginning of the year to discuss key plan for the year?

It's not uncommon for my HOD to forget to schedule these meet-ups, it didn't take place for those of us with the HOD as RO. But the other colleague who's under my new RO did meet up with the new RO for goal-setting; I didn't have any such meeting scheduled.

It doesn't appear to be a last-minute decision, I think they simply forgot to inform me.

Unregistered 05-06-2020 05:16 PM

Thank you for all replies regarding AYH vs SH/LH.
I知 offered both to choose from as the sch identified me to be a fit for both and sees possibilities of me taking up either roles and I知 willing to put in more effort to learn too. Passion wise I have for both as I love the subject I知 teaching and the students as well, so I知 thinking of considering the job progression instead.

I heard that YH/AYH track is relatively new. So I知 not sure in terms of job progression, how is it comparable to SH/LH track. And if I were to transfer sch in future, will there be a case that not many schs will advertise for AYH? If so can I switch to SH/LH then as I知 holding two portfolios(I am being groomed for both AYH and SH/LH)?

For job progression wise is both comparable or like what is mentioned, depending on which area the school is focusing on?

Anyone able to advise or provide more info regarding how痴 the job progression like for either AYH or SH/LH? For instance generally how long is needed to progress to YH or HOD?

Thank you all for the kind advices.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136675)
Amusing. Just got to know that one of my colleagues has been sent for KP interview. The same officer has been put down quite badly during ranking last year but still got a good appraisal in the end due to SL's preference.

And such is the reality of life. Perfectly objective performance review and perfectly fair advancement opportunities simply do not exist anywhere in this world.

Unregistered 07-06-2020 12:31 AM

Quote:

For SH/LH interview, failing is rare as long as you know your roles and responsibilities well. For HOD interview, the demand is higher and you will need to display the ability to take on a greater role. So the chances of failing is higher for the latter. I know of a couple of KPs from different schools who didn't clear the HOD interview.

Not all SLs will prepare the staff, especially for SH/LH interview. Sometimes it is the ROs who do that, which imo isn't the best candidate since they have never been part of the interview panel. Between VPs and Ps, my choice would still be Ps. So it helps to check in with your P nearing the interview date.

Unregistered 07-06-2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134880)
Any idea what's the difference between level head & subject head?

No difference, just labellings. They are both assistants to the HOD or the second-charge. Common for schools to use LH for EMS and SH for the other IPs.

Unregistered 07-06-2020 01:42 PM

Conversion

Anyone knows the equivalent MX from GEO/SEO scale? Eg. MX13 = GEO3? And so on?

Unregistered 08-06-2020 10:17 AM

Think bulk of the EOs won't be that familiar with MX scale. I'll reproduce the 2015 EO salary scales here - maybe you can offer your own matching?

Quote:

Someone shared this awhile ago - not sure if it's been updated since.

p.s. for teachers without any official appointments, salary grade will cap at GEO5.

GEO1 (Untrained): ? (non-graduates start here)
GEO (Trained): 1600 - 2730
GEO2 (Untrained): 2000-4340 (graduates start here)
GEO2 (Trained): 2538-4500
GEO3: 3515 -5616
GEO4: 4545-7271
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5651-9064 (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-10766 (min. HOD/LT)
SEO3: 8748-11232 (+9%?) (min. HOD/MT)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137150)
Anyone knows the equivalent MX from GEO/SEO scale? Eg. MX13 = GEO3? And so on?

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 09-06-2020 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136851)
Thank you for all replies regarding AYH vs SH/LH.
I’m offered both to choose from as the sch identified me to be a fit for both and sees possibilities of me taking up either roles and I’m willing to put in more effort to learn too. Passion wise I have for both as I love the subject I’m teaching and the students as well, so I’m thinking of considering the job progression instead.

I heard that YH/AYH track is relatively new. So I’m not sure in terms of job progression, how is it comparable to SH/LH track. And if I were to transfer sch in future, will there be a case that not many schs will advertise for AYH? If so can I switch to SH/LH then as I’m holding two portfolios(I am being groomed for both AYH and SH/LH)?

For job progression wise is both comparable or like what is mentioned, depending on which area the school is focusing on?

Anyone able to advise or provide more info regarding how’s the job progression like for either AYH or SH/LH? For instance generally how long is needed to progress to YH or HOD?

Thank you all for the kind advices.

AYH and SH/LH both are SEO 1 roles so in terms of job progression it still depends on how much you can excel in that particular role. It doesn't mean that AYH goes to YH faster or SH/LH goes to HOD faster. I know what you're thinking about. Trust me, choose the route that you can give your best quality of work. I have seen many cases where SH/LH switch to AYH or vice versa due to school needs. It is just a leadership position. The content knowledge not necessarily have to be as good as e.g. ST/LTs. You just need to know the overarching process and how the system works for that particular subject etc.

Since you have a passion for both, whichever you can excel in, will be where you will progress further. If you can't excel in it, you will definitely not be considered for the promotion beyond LH/SH or AYH as there are many many competent ones fighting for the limited positions. Similar story for YH and HOD fighting for VP positions.

All the best

Unregistered 09-06-2020 03:15 PM

Incompetence

Not surprising. A lot of ambitious but incompetent people running around as KPs in schools. Can't even get basic processes right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136663)

Unregistered 09-06-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137438)
Not surprising. A lot of ambitious but incompetent people running around as KPs in schools. Can't even get basic processes right.

Care to share what you mean by basic processes?