Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 03-11-2022 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234066)
Teaching is our bread and butter. At the end of the day, other than projects and initiatives, the most important of all is as a math/English/science teacher, can you produce result? Performance ranking can be based on tt or by qualitative survey too.

If this is the case, then there will also be issues for non-content subject teachers. How would you rank PE/Music/Art teachers (assuming these are non-exam subjects in their schools) then? Other forms of work will have to be considered for justification.

Unregistered 03-11-2022 08:02 PM

Every teacher a deal with Special Needs teacher.

Unregistered 03-11-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 233928)
volunteering for a 'D'?

Will D grader be sacked?

Unregistered 04-11-2022 07:41 AM

There is a reason Singapore has a billion-dollar tuition industry, which will keep on booming. MOE ironically, based on the responses here, does not value teachers who contribute to academics. It is no wonder that there are teachers who sacrifice their students' education in pursuit of CCA achievements and other stuff to pad their portfolio. Sad state of affairs.

Unregistered 04-11-2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234170)
There is a reason Singapore has a billion-dollar tuition industry, which will keep on booming. MOE ironically, based on the responses here, does not value teachers who contribute to academics. It is no wonder that there are teachers who sacrifice their students' education in pursuit of CCA achievements and other stuff to pad their portfolio. Sad state of affairs.

Also, class sizes are 40 and teaching staff headcount in schools is calibrated based on that, with negligible buffer capacity most of the time. 5% of teachers down with COVID and it's already a crushing blow to the rest when the relief duties are planned.

Then you have some people here coming to preach that it's all about the teacher's skill in Differentiated Instruction. Sure, give me IP school class size I can do it. But how many of us have that silver spoon

Unregistered 05-11-2022 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234174)
Also, class sizes are 40 and teaching staff headcount in schools is calibrated based on that, with negligible buffer capacity most of the time. 5% of teachers down with COVID and it's already a crushing blow to the rest when the relief duties are planned.

Then you have some people here coming to preach that it's all about the teacher's skill in Differentiated Instruction. Sure, give me IP school class size I can do it. But how many of us have that silver spoon

Maybe sg should restructure its education such that schools are purely for cca/mental health/sex ed/external events/excursions/ndp etc while tuitions are purely for academics. Students must attend both :)

Unregistered 06-11-2022 05:33 AM

Then sch will be a freaking waste of time

Unregistered 07-11-2022 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234170)

Well, the people voted for it. By continuing to vote to keep the ministers of education. To vote to keep them means endorsing them, and endorsing all their current policies and practices.

Clearly the majority of people, or at least voters in the education ministers' constituencies feel that it is more important to appraise teachers based on their involvement in enrichment activities rather than academic teaching.

Unregistered 07-11-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234345)
Well, the people voted for it. By continuing to vote to keep the ministers of education. To vote to keep them means endorsing them, and endorsing all their current policies and practices.

Clearly the majority of people, or at least voters in the education ministers' constituencies feel that it is more important to appraise teachers based on their involvement in enrichment activities rather than academic teaching.

Outsiders are not fully aware of how teachers are appraised. A lot of people still think teachers' performance is rated based on their students' exam results. They also have some vague idea of the ranking system because of MP Louis Ng, but very few people outside of MOE fully appreciate how obscene the reality has become when it comes to trying to rank high-performing teachers against each other. It becomes a slugfest of full-on nitpicking, fault-finding, and politicking over the teachers' non-teaching-related KPIs.

Unregistered 07-11-2022 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234354)
Outsiders are not fully aware of how teachers are appraised. A lot of people still think teachers' performance is rated based on their students' exam results. They also have some vague idea of the ranking system because of MP Louis Ng, but very few people outside of MOE fully appreciate how obscene the reality has become when it comes to trying to rank high-performing teachers against each other. It becomes a slugfest of full-on nitpicking, fault-finding, and politicking over the teachers' non-teaching-related KPIs.

and if some of your same-grade colleagues are in the ranking-committee while you are not, then they able to nitpick you without you even being aware of it (much less defend yourself); can only hope your RO will defend on your behalf, but if you don't have a good RO that can do that and/or don't have great relationship with your RO then welcome to C- or D...

Unregistered 07-11-2022 10:22 PM

Dont understand.
So teachers want to draw high salary just to teach and not do other things?
Then continue teaching but dont expect high salary.
Or
Leave the service and find a job that fits your perfect needs.

Got give and take.
No perfect job with high salary and less work.
The only job perhaps is when you create a job of your own.

Unregistered 07-11-2022 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234408)
Dont understand.
Or

Got give and take.

For the hours worked, the salary is not high. Furthermore, the teachers who end up with the most side projects are the younger ones with more 'energy' and 'drive'. But civil service system, you should know.. to reach higher salary points, you need to grind through many years because the increments are slow (but at least they are steady).

If you can tahan the early years, and rise to a decent salary point, then sure, it becomes more worth it. And when you are more senior, your plate may not be loaded up so heavily as well because you are not 'young with a lot of fire and energy, no kids, can get married to your job' anymore.

Unregistered 08-11-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234408)
Dont understand.
Or

Got give and take.

We are not talking about management level people. Management comes with their own set of KPIs.

For rank and file teachers, it is abnormal when your jobscope is mostly irrelevant to your job title.

A teacher's main job, as the job title suggests, is to teach. Everything else is secondary.

Just like how accountants focus on accounting, lawyers focus on their legal cases, doctors focus on treating their patients, teachers should focus on teaching students.

When teaching takes up only a third of a teacher's working hours, and the other two thirds are spent on event planning, enrichment, procurement and evaluation, parent and community engagement, conducting training for colleagues, and one's performance is evaluated by how many extra duties teachers take on rather than how well they teach, something is seriously wrong.

Imagine a doctor who is terrible at diagnosing and treating patients, but is given good performance appraisals for his work in planning department events, celebrations, organising seminars and his handling of budget. And promoting such people into policymaking positions despite a history of poor patient outcomes. Acceptable?

Unregistered 08-11-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234418)
When teaching takes up only a third of a teacher's working hours

Looking at my school's self-reported data, it's more like 12% to 25% for GEO5 officers for student-facing and T&L-related work, including lessons, lesson prep, marking, exam setting, exam marking, remedials & supplementary lessons, CCAs, CCA planning and prep, and parent-teacher meetings. All these: only at most one quarter of the time spent on work.

Unregistered 08-11-2022 07:07 PM

s://singaporeuncensored.com/teacher-got-a-c-grade-no-performance-bonus-promotion-held-back-3-years/

Unregistered 08-11-2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234453)
s://singaporeuncensored.com/teacher-got-a-c-grade-no-performance-bonus-promotion-held-back-3-years/

Not true. C- still have performance bonus. Promotion won’t be held back. If you already have 4 consistent B, you would have been promoted once. Just try harder. Once you get 3Bs again, promotion might come your way depending on your CEP.

Unregistered 08-11-2022 09:53 PM

medical claims

Hi everyone, I’m confused over the medical claims system. Is outpatient claim deducted from the $500 annual medical claim?

The outpatient bill is still sent to Workpal and there is government co-pay and patient co-pay, however in my medical bill it stated $0 to pay. I didn’t pay a single cent for the outpatient consultations at all.

anyone care to explain pls? Thank you!

Unregistered 08-11-2022 10:20 PM

SWE - 180k per year/ 20% bonus

Unregistered 08-11-2022 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234472)
Hi everyone, I’m confused over the medical claims system. Is outpatient claim deducted from the $500 annual medical claim?

The outpatient bill is still sent to Workpal and there is government co-pay and patient co-pay, however in my medical bill it stated $0 to pay. I didn’t pay a single cent for the outpatient consultations at all.

whatever owing/balance will deduct from salary, so check next payslip

Unregistered 09-11-2022 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234472)

You pay $0 until all the $500 is used up.

Beyond $500, you top up the difference from your salary.

If you didn't claim anything, the balance from $500 will be credited into your medisave.

Unregistered 09-11-2022 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234421)
Looking at my school's self-reported data, it's more like 12% to 25% for GEO5 officers for student-facing and T&L-related work, including lessons, lesson prep, marking, exam setting, exam marking, remedials & supplementary lessons, CCAs, CCA planning and prep, and parent-teacher meetings. All these: only at most one quarter of the time spent on work.

Am geo5. Can confirm.

Unregistered 09-11-2022 04:17 PM

Fajt

Hi.

Does FAJT need to deduct their hourly rate for cpf contribution?

There's no cpf contribution from MOE right?

Unregistered 10-11-2022 02:51 PM

there is cpf contribution from both individual and moe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234534)
Hi.

Does FAJT need to deduct their hourly rate for cpf contribution?

There's no cpf contribution from MOE right?

Unregistered 10-11-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234595)
there is cpf contribution from both individual and moe

thanks. that means my take home pay is 80% of the T1 & T2 rates?

Unregistered 10-11-2022 05:37 PM

What is the salary range of a secondary school principal in sg?

Unregistered 10-11-2022 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234499)
You pay $0 until all the $500 is used up.

Beyond $500, you top up the difference from your salary.

If you didn't claim anything, the balance from $500 will be credited into your medisave.

Technically, only $350 will be credited to medisave. The rest… if not used, will be forfeited.

Source: s://.careers.gov.sg/who-we-are/benefits

Unregistered 11-11-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234635)
Technically, only $350 will be credited to medisave. The rest… if not used, will be forfeited.

Source: s://.careers.gov.sg/who-we-are/benefits

For this $500, is it inclusive of the medical claims you make from visiting MBS gov clinics?

Unregistered 12-11-2022 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234676)
For this $500, is it inclusive of the medical claims you make from visiting MBS gov clinics?

Yes. Or when manually claiming for non-MBS. Think of it as your personal medical fund.

Can also check your quota/usage via Workpal.

Unregistered 12-11-2022 04:04 PM

Does your P play a role in nominating officers for FLP or is it totally centrally planned by HR? Typically how many years into service can we expect an invitation if we are not EMS scholars and have been identified o be hi-po?

Unregistered 12-11-2022 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234719)
Does your P play a role in nominating officers for FLP or is it totally centrally planned by HR? Typically how many years into service can we expect an invitation if we are not EMS scholars and have been identified o be hi-po?

FLP is 100% centrally managed. If you are not on a "default FLP" scholarship scheme, then you will usually be emplaced within your first 5 years of trained service. Besides CEP, youth seems to be one of the major factors.

Unregistered 12-11-2022 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234719)

Usually those with FLP prospects won't have to ask this type of question. They will be engaged in conversation about it by their SLs, RO and HR.

If you have to ask here, likely you have no chance.

Unregistered 13-11-2022 05:52 PM

Teaching or leadership track?

Hi, need some advice here. I've been told that I'd be taking up LM next year. GEO3 here. Just had my time promotion a year ago. My HOD is trying to sound me out and offering me to train me to go into ST track. I'm quite taken aback by both offers and I want to hear more before deciding which one I'd take up. Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 13-11-2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234784)
Hi, need some advice here. I've been told that I'd be taking up LM next year. GEO3 here. Just had my time promotion a year ago. My HOD is trying to sound me out and offering me to train me to go into ST track. I'm quite taken aback by both offers and I want to hear more before deciding which one I'd take up. Thanks in advance!

Are you a scholar?

Unregistered 14-11-2022 09:17 PM

Quote:

What's LM?

Unregistered 14-11-2022 11:41 PM

internal?

Quote:

are this offers for internal appointment?
I hope the school do send you for official interview to take on KP role, then that is more confirmed.

I hope the sounding out or verbal offer is not just a bait for you to stay on. Check in with the head consistently! All the best!

Unregistered 16-11-2022 07:57 AM

What does an internal position mean and why is my P handing it out to so many people like it means nothing?

Unregistered 16-11-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234936)
What does an internal position mean and why is my P handing it out to so many people like it means nothing?

internal position like what?

Unregistered 17-11-2022 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 234936)

What do you mean by “many people” and “internal positions”?

I do not think that there will be many internal appointments to begin with. When we talk about internal appointment, it is usually given to officers who have shown potential and interest to take up the role. Usually within 1-2 years of doing that, he/she will go for interview to be officially appointed. The internal role given will allow the officer to try the role out while preparing him/her for the interview since it provides better clarity on the responsibilities and gives one things to share on during the interview. Some schools do not practise that. But given that now officers can only go for interview at geo 4, it may be a way to sustain their interest.

If you are referring to other duties like level rep, case managers etc, they are more of roles for additional contribution towards the organisation. If you do it well, you may be noticed and subsequently given internal appointments or identified for ST track.

Unregistered 17-11-2022 09:17 AM

Do the work review RO comments serve as a useful indicator of our performance grade for the ywr? Or is it always positive sounding just as a paper exercise and doesn't really mean anything.

Unregistered 17-11-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 235003)
Do the work review RO comments serve as a useful indicator of our performance grade for the ywr? Or is it always positive sounding just as a paper exercise and doesn't really mean anything.

Paper exercise. Doesn’t mean anything. Epms forms are just for filing. People only review it if there is a complaint or contest for perf grade.