Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 01-04-2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211659)
Hello, I am a GEO 3 in HQ, non-scholar. I was wondering what happens if I dont hit GEO4 by the time I end my HQ stint? That would mean no enhanced posting for me right?

How many years in service? How years in substantive grade? The fact that you are in HQ means you have a CEP of at least P7. So you should be able to get it especially if you've been in geo3 grade for some time

prettyrainbow 01-04-2022 09:11 PM

I’m a diploma holder, teaching mother tongue, 11 years in service.

2015 B (promoted to GEO 2A1)
2016 B
2017 B
2018 A (promoted to GEO 3)
2019 B
2020 B (supposed to be promoted to GEO 4 but rescinded due to a written warning haiz)
2021 C+
2022 B (promoted to GEO 4)

I think after reading some of the responses in this thread, I do agree that having a good RO and having your work to be “seen” by those in school, really helps in ranking and promotion, I guess? The more involved you are in other committee work, on top of the work in your department is a plus point, I feel.

I just started on an acting KP role recently so I’m hoping that could help in my ranking in the upcoming years

Tinkermaster 01-04-2022 09:30 PM

Being promoted to GEO 4 does not necessary man you will be placed in the Enhanced Posting Scheme. Having that grade only qualifies you to take up a SH/LH/AYH position in schools. If you have been identified to be in EPS, HR will try to do calls to schools to see whether there is a possibility for the officer to take up a KP position in the school. But it also depends on the Principal's call. Most Principals will weigh in how this officer will fit into the team. Sometimes, the Principal will also mentioned to their HR partner to check out and recommend them HQ officers returning to schools. If you are not in EPS, then you have to look out for your own KP position when the Open Posting comes on. Things are usually more tricky when you are in SEO. If on cannot find a suitable position in schools, then HR will probably ask the officer to change portfolio and parachute the person into a school.

Unregistered 01-04-2022 10:20 PM

I see many here suggest changing schools for the better. But are there really schools that treat staff fairly, care for them, not overload teachers
and recognise the work done? If no, there is no point changing because ultimately, we are still in the same system.

Unregistered 01-04-2022 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211716)
I see many here suggest changing schools for the better. But are there really schools that treat staff fairly, care for them, not overload teachers
and recognise the work done? If no, there is no point changing because ultimately, we are still in the same system.

That is true BUT it buys you time. Lol
The longer you stay then you know the dirty secrets ie unfairness then move on again lor. Reduction in number of schs but still more than enuf to last a lifetime. Change till you find one you comfy in or change till it’s time to retire. That’s my plan anyhow.

Unregistered 02-04-2022 03:48 PM

I've just seen in the previous pages that the ceiling for GEO3 is 5616. I'm $6 away, does that mean I will get $6 merit increment? Not promoted this year.

Unregistered 02-04-2022 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211853)
I've just seen in the previous pages that the ceiling for GEO3 is 5616. I'm $6 away, does that mean I will get $6 merit increment? Not promoted this year.

Yes. Either you at geo3 for very very long or you mid career hence your starting was already high hence hit ceiling already?

Unregistered 02-04-2022 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211863)
Yes. Either you at geo3 for very very long or you mid career hence your starting was already high hence hit ceiling already?

Mid career. I thought it was a joke when I overheard my colleague talking about it. Now I feel demoralised.

Unregistered 02-04-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211869)
Mid career. I thought it was a joke when I overheard my colleague talking about it. Now I feel demoralised.

How old are you? How long have you been in service?

Unregistered 02-04-2022 05:42 PM

the issue is the school's mgmt doesnt care whether a teacher is mid career or not. to them, teachers are just a resource.

Unregistered 02-04-2022 06:34 PM

Anyone knows how’s the demand for fajt like now?

Unregistered 02-04-2022 07:00 PM

FAJT+ another side income

Hi, can I check if it’s possible to be a FAJT and Property Agent/Insurance agent?

Unregistered 02-04-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211888)
Hi, can I check if it’s possible to be a FAJT and Property Agent/Insurance agent?

Yes it is possible. I have an ex-colleague doing just that right now. Once her property business paid better, she switched to property full-time.

Unregistered 02-04-2022 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211874)
the issue is the school's mgmt doesnt care whether a teacher is mid career or not. to them, teachers are just a resource.

Or rather, even if the school cared about the difference, they don't have heavy control over HR's promotion mechanisms. Yes the school can speed it up by reviewing your CEP upwards, but the reasons for reviewing CEP upwards cannot solely be "he/she is mid-career and is stuck at the ceiling, so needs an increment soon". That's not a valid reason for reviewing CEP, so effectively, the school can't exercise that aspect of control over your promotion rate ... unless you show interest and potential for climbing the leadership/teaching tracks.

Unregistered 02-04-2022 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211913)
Or rather, even if the school cared about the difference, they don't have heavy control over HR's promotion mechanisms. Yes the school can speed it up by reviewing your CEP upwards, but the reasons for reviewing CEP upwards cannot solely be "he/she is mid-career and is stuck at the ceiling, so needs an increment soon". That's not a valid reason for reviewing CEP, so effectively, the school can't exercise that aspect of control over your promotion rate ... unless you show interest and potential for climbing the leadership/teaching tracks.

Ya, if CEP is P8 (geo5), you 1st career or mid-career also doesn't matter. Mid-career start higher, but for both, promotion is equally slow.

Unregistered 03-04-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211914)
Ya, if CEP is P8 (geo5), you 1st career or mid-career also doesn't matter. Mid-career start higher, but for both, promotion is equally slow.

yup all things equal, sometimes mid career looses out as they have less real world teaching experience.

Unregistered 03-04-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211869)

How long were you in geo 3? Imma mid career too. Was in geo 3 for a long time too till i hit ceiling. Only promoted the following year and if my memory is correct, my increment from 3 to 4 was lower too compared to other promotees.

Moe sure knows how to value its staff

Unregistered 03-04-2022 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212037)
How long were you in geo 3? Imma mid career too. Was in geo 3 for a long time too till i hit ceiling. Only promoted the following year and if my memory is correct, my increment from 3 to 4 was lower too compared to other promotees.

Moe sure knows how to value its staff

since you hit ceiling, you only had promo increment and no merit increment. hence the lower total increment

Unregistered 03-04-2022 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212043)
since you hit ceiling, you only had promo increment and no merit increment. hence the lower total increment

This is the correct reason. For calculation of the gross monthly salary after promotion, the merit increment is applied first, followed by the promotion increment. Sadly not the other way around.

Merit increment is influenced by economic factors, performance grade for prev year's work (the better the grade, the higher the MI), and distance to the ceiling of the current grade (the nearer to the ceiling, the lower the MI; at the ceiling, zero MI).

Unregistered 04-04-2022 12:37 AM

Hi, can I check for those who is promoted, does school cockpit reflects new substantive grade? Or if you generate letter of employment on Workpal, does it show new grade? Pls advise.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212116)
Hi, can I check for those who is promoted, does school cockpit reflects new substantive grade? Or if you generate letter of employment on Workpal, does it show new grade? Pls advise.

Cockpit not yet. Still showing previous grade.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212116)

Cv on hrp already reflects the change.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212142)

ok. new cryptic system that makes no sense. stakeholder engagement must be non existent. workpal app is getting low star review.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

What’s cv on hrp by the way?

Unregistered 04-04-2022 01:20 PM

Grad in Mar21 from PGDE prac, when promote to geo3?

Unregistered 04-04-2022 03:31 PM

Quote:

There’s cv on hrp? I don’t see any…

Unregistered 04-04-2022 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212184)
Grad in Mar21 from PGDE prac, when promote to geo3?

Supposed to be October 2022 for NSmen (assuming successful confirmation in March 2022). April 2023 for non-NSmen. But then you have people earlier in this thread claiming that they get confirmed in tandem with cohort promotion.. lol.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212204)
Supposed to be October 2022 for NSmen (assuming successful confirmation in March 2022). April 2023 for non-NSmen. But then you have people earlier in this thread claiming that they get confirmed in tandem with cohort promotion.. lol.

Finished practicum March 2021 (male, local scholar, first class honors). Got promoted to GEO3 this April, confirmation letter came in a separate email from P. But also have batch mates promoting in October.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212250)
Finished practicum March 2021 (male, local scholar, first class honors). Got promoted to GEO3 this April, confirmation letter came in a separate email from P. But also have batch mates promoting in October.

So now even cohort promotions are non-standardised? It used to be everyone at the same time (based on NS status), as long as you get confirmed and have no outstanding disciplinary case.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 09:23 PM

Is there a way for promotees to check whether their official promotion is in April or October? Thank you :)

Unregistered 04-04-2022 09:29 PM

Quote:

It only shows your substantive grade but not your new salary. :(

Unregistered 04-04-2022 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212250)

Can share to see if it’s dependent on either performance grade or masters?

Unregistered 04-04-2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212278)

It could be because some PGDE graduates already have 1 year untrained contract which maybe counts towards time-in-grade, thus reducing the additional time they need to spend at geo2.

Not everyone has untrained contract though. Some overseas scholars come back just in time for December intake.

Unregistered 05-04-2022 12:32 AM

Quote:

Would love to hear from OP as well

Unregistered 05-04-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

As far as I understand its about performance. I myself got promoted to GEO3 in Apr at the same time as confirmation. But I have friends who also promoted in Oct. promotion is not automatic. It could be a function of HR's blackbox or your P's reluctance to promote, depending on the advice given by your RO and ranking pane

Unregistered 05-04-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Having masters doesn't increase your CEP or result in quicker promotion. Although by right it should indirectly lead to better performance since toy had more years of education and training. But I know. Of some friends with masters who promoted earlier compared to the same batchmates. But this shoukd be a function of age also rather than the masters. Age, years in substantive grade and years in service are taken into account when deciding promotion, apart from cep and consistent performance.

Unregistered 05-04-2022 02:41 PM

Hey same here... I am a diploma holder.

When I first started, it hurts to compare the work we do as diploma holder with the pay we got... Especially with our degree counterpart. My first RO was very clear if I am here for the money, she said she would rather me quit the service then stay on. She told me to also always remember why I join teaching and not to compare our work load etc. She also asked me of my 5 yrs plan, when I told her I had none, she was rather straightforward and told me she wants me out of the school so that I can learn from other n hone my craft as a teacher when I pick up good practices from others...So with her advice, I do my work and boy do I work hard for it.

2013 - confirmed 2.1
2014 - promoted to 2A1
2015 - redesignated as Geo 2
2016 - promoted to Geo 3
2018 - promoted to Geo 4
(Changed school)
2022 - promoted to Geo 5

Now holding a KP role, figuring out how to inspire other teachers to do their best for our students among many things.

Am I a scholar?...nope...Do I have a degree? Only degree celsius...hahaha... Do I have the gift of the gab? Maybe but if you know me as a friend, I don't speak eloquently...

My advise to the younger teachers, have faith in what you do then inspire others to share in what you believe in. Have plenty of laughter along the way and if the promotion/ KP role is meant to be yours, it will eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettyrainbow (Post 211703)
I’m a diploma holder, teaching mother tongue, 11 years in service.

2015 B (promoted to GEO 2A1)
2016 B
2017 B
2018 A (promoted to GEO 3)
2019 B
2020 B (supposed to be promoted to GEO 4 but rescinded due to a written warning haiz)
2021 C+
2022 B (promoted to GEO 4)

I think after reading some of the responses in this thread, I do agree that having a good RO and having your work to be “seen” by those in school, really helps in ranking and promotion, I guess? The more involved you are in other committee work, on top of the work in your department is a plus point, I feel.

I just started on an acting KP role recently so I’m hoping that could help in my ranking in the upcoming years

Unregistered 05-04-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212378)

When I first started, it hurts to compare the work we do as diploma holder with the pay we got... Especially with our degree counterpart. My first RO was very clear if I am here for the money, she said she would rather me quit the service then stay on. She told me to also always remember why I join teaching and not to compare our work load etc. She also asked me of my 5 yrs plan, when I told her I had none, she was rather straightforward and told me she wants me out of the school so that I can learn from other n hone my craft as a teacher when I pick up good practices from others...So with her advice, I do my work and boy do I work hard for it.

2013 - confirmed 2.1
2014 - promoted to 2A1
2016 - promoted to Geo 3
2018 - promoted to Geo 4
(Changed school)
2022 - promoted to Geo 5

Now holding a KP role, figuring out how to inspire other teachers to do their best for our students among many things.

Am I a scholar?...nope...Do I have a degree? Only degree celsius...hahaha... Do I have the gift of the gab? Maybe but if you know me as a friend, I don't speak eloquently...

My advise to the younger teachers, have faith in what you do then inspire others to share in what you believe in. Have plenty of laughter along the way and if the promotion/ KP role is meant to be yours, it will eventually.

what is your main teaching subject? are you a subject KP?

Unregistered 05-04-2022 07:48 PM

Is it possible for non-scholar to get Performance Grade A?

Is it possible for non-scholar to get Performance Grade A?

Unregistered 05-04-2022 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212378)

2013 - confirmed 2.1
2014 - promoted to 2A1
2016 - promoted to Geo 3
2018 - promoted to Geo 4
(Changed school)
2022 - promoted to Geo 5

So you joined the service in 2013 as a diploma holder and is already GEO 5 now? That's fast