Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 14-05-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217765)
Notice the difference in max pay is 400 plus only which is nothing much but the perks which come with it maybe different in different school I guess?

You have to slog for 2-5 years as a confirmed KP before you get GEO5 -> SEO1. If you are appointed while geo4, be prepared to feel insanely underpaid for even more years. Especially when you become the RO of job holders who draw higher salary than you. It's the ultimate "youth tax".

Unregistered 14-05-2022 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217786)
You have to slog for 2-5 years as a confirmed KP before you get GEO5 -> SEO1. If you are appointed while geo4, be prepared to feel insanely underpaid for even more years. Especially when you become the RO of job holders who draw higher salary than you. It's the ultimate "youth tax".

It does sound like a very fine line between geo5 (cap pay) n seo1 and it depends on what one wants I guess

Unregistered 14-05-2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217787)
It does sound like a very fine line between geo5 (cap pay) n seo1 and it depends on what one wants I guess

You will really only notice a substantial difference in salary compared to same age/same YOE non-KP peers when you hit VP or DD level. Before that, the gap is pretty much only enough for two or three extra tanks of petrol every month. Yeah it's still several hundred bucks but the amount of extra slogging and firefighting you do daily as a seo1/seo2 is worth more than that.

Unregistered 14-05-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered2323 (Post 217781)
hi all

i completed NS, FCH, graduated NIE in Jan 2014. just promoted GEO5, drawing gross of about $6.8k. how do i compare with others?

If you are a HOT, your progression is not bad. If you are earmarked for KP roles or are already a KP, your geo5 is quite slow.

Unregistered 14-05-2022 03:45 PM

How about geo3 to geo5 in 5 years but stuck at geo5 for next 7 years… what would U think of someone like that?

Unregistered 14-05-2022 05:26 PM

Hi all, wondering about the iexam declaration procedure

I just have to write down the student name right and seab will take note of this ie not causing me to have a conflict of interest?

Unregistered 14-05-2022 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217806)
How about geo3 to geo5 in 5 years but stuck at geo5 for next 7 years… what would U think of someone like that?

Geo5 is already max what. Stuck for 7 years means you got your geo1a1 to geo1a3 before 2015. The normal promotion pace back then was faster.

Unregistered 14-05-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217806)

Not sure why so many ppl see any issue with this situation. Assuming no KP/ST position… that just means the officer was fairly high-performing and was promoted to the ceiling quite quickly. Presumably the officer has little interest in further progression (otherwise, he/she might want to consider more actively seeking appointment somewhere).

If just aiming to remain a HOT, I'd be happy to max my ceiling ASAP and think about how to grow (e.g. invest) the salary I'm getting…

Unregistered 14-05-2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217829)
Not sure why so many ppl see any issue with this situation. Assuming no KP/ST position… that just means the officer was fairly high-performing and was promoted to the ceiling quite quickly. Presumably the officer has little interest in further progression (otherwise, he/she might want to consider more actively seeking appointment somewhere).

If just aiming to remain a HOT, I'd be happy to max my ceiling ASAP and think about how to grow (e.g. invest) the salary I'm getting…

What is HOT

Unregistered 15-05-2022 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217832)
What is HOT

It refers to boomer GEOs who have hit their salary ceiling, hence they are able to just fulfill the standard roles of T&L (whether it is of quality or not is another story) and other minor roles in school. Without any possible increment, most will not be inclined to do more.

This enables them to tai ji all new and major responsibilities to the lower grades, who are more referred to as SOT (the S simply being the opposite of H), a term recently coined in the discussions here. This persuasion gives SOTs hope for promotion or progression, which may or may not materialise.

Ironically, this phenomenon has resulted in more and more HOTs staying put in the system and the lower grade SOTs leaving the system completely i.e. resigning - a continuous vicious cycle everywhere right now. But upon leaving, most SOTs revert from S to H again. Many of my friends belong to the latter, and I am genuinely happy for them :)

Unregistered 15-05-2022 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217894)
It refers to boomer GEOs who have hit their salary ceiling, hence they are able to just fulfill the standard roles of T&L (whether it is of quality or not is another story) and other minor roles in school. Without any possible increment, most will not be inclined to do more.

This enables them to tai ji all new and major responsibilities to the lower grades, who are more referred to as SOT (the S simply being the opposite of H), a term recently coined in the discussions here. This persuasion gives SOTs hope for promotion or progression, which may or may not materialise.

Ironically, this phenomenon has resulted in more and more HOTs staying put in the system and the lower grade SOTs leaving the system completely i.e. resigning - a continuous vicious cycle everywhere right now. But upon leaving, most SOTs revert from S to H again. Many of my friends belong to the latter, and I am genuinely happy for them :)

ic. sounds crap.

Unregistered 18-05-2022 09:39 PM

Some questions on PGDE

Hi, I am graduating from a local university (non-scholar) in June 2022 with honours and have applied for PGDE. I am male and have completed full-time NS. I recently received a possible contract teaching appointment as GEO 2 (untrained) from MOE. Below are two questions I have regarding the contract:

1) For the case of final year students, is the salary indicated in the contract offered before considering the appointee's class of honours? If so, what are the increments (if any) for the different classes of honours?

2) Is it correct to assume that for the salary offered, serving full-time NS has already been taken into account?

TIA!

Unregistered 19-05-2022 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218207)
Hi, I am graduating from a local university (non-scholar) in June 2022 with honours and have applied for PGDE. I am male and have completed full-time NS. I recently received a possible contract teaching appointment as GEO 2 (untrained) from MOE. Below are two questions I have regarding the contract:

1) For the case of final year students, is the salary indicated in the contract offered before considering the appointee's class of honours? If so, what are the increments (if any) for the different classes of honours?

2) Is it correct to assume that for the salary offered, serving full-time NS has already been taken into account?

TIA!

Yes it takes into account honours class. The difference between 2nd upper and 1st is about half a salary step, so about 150-200 (pre-covid numbers). Masters degree holders start at the same level as 1st class honours grads.

Yes, full-time NS has already been taken into account.

Yes, it's really pathetic and lagging far behind their self-proclaimed private sector benchmarks as they have not done a salary revision since 2015 (when it used to be every few years). Really not the best place if you are concerned about your earning power being properly commensurate with your qualifications and experience. You need to have passion(TM) to stay in it.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 10:38 AM

saturday

Just wondering what is the stand on working on Saturdays as a teacher.

Should we be given off in lieu if we need to work on saturdays given that it is now officially a 5 day work week?

Unregistered 19-05-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218255)

Should we be given off in lieu if we need to work on saturdays given that it is now officially a 5 day work week?

I don't think you will find anyone who says that they disagree in principle.

But in practice, how are you going to give teachers off-in-lieu? Cancel lessons for the day?

Unregistered 19-05-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218255)

Off in lieu not feasible or possible, but perhaps pro-rated salary / OT would be appreciated if a teacher has to be called back on saturdays for official duties.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218248)
Yes it takes into account honours class. The difference between 2nd upper and 1st is about half a salary step, so about 150-200 (pre-covid numbers). Masters degree holders start at the same level as 1st class honours grads.

Yes, full-time NS has already been taken into account.

Yes, it's really pathetic and lagging far behind their self-proclaimed private sector benchmarks as they have not done a salary revision since 2015 (when it used to be every few years). Really not the best place if you are concerned about your earning power being properly commensurate with your qualifications and experience. You need to have passion(TM) to stay in it.

Nah. First class and 2nd upper now command same starting salary. Source:from 2019 batch of pdge.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218262)
Off in lieu not feasible or possible, but perhaps pro-rated salary / OT would be appreciated if a teacher has to be called back on saturdays for official duties.

They will say PMET got OT but no such thing as OT pay.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218273)
Nah. First class and 2nd upper now command same starting salary. Source:from 2019 batch of pdge.

I'm curious, for them to be the same...was the amount for 1st class lowered?

Or was the amount for 2nd upper raised?

Unregistered 19-05-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218273)

I could be mistaken, but I thought this was the case even a decade earlier…

Unregistered 20-05-2022 12:05 AM

NIE DipEd Classification

Am starting DipEd soon. Was wondering if the diploma classification (Distinction, merit, etc) has any impact on anything at all. Perhaps, it is just a token description of how well you've done? Just asking out of curiosity. #inconsequentialquestions

Unregistered 20-05-2022 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218310)
I could be mistaken, but I thought this was the case even a decade earlier…

For PGDE 2016, there was still a salary step between 1st/Masters and 2nd upper, as well as between 2nd lower and third/non-honours.

(My batch.)

Unregistered 20-05-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218207)

TIA!

The initial amount offered may not account for your honours until you start contract teaching in Term 3 (assuming you start UT then) where they will revise your salary and account for it from experience. Second and first class honours should be the same pay these days as per my batch.

Unregistered 20-05-2022 06:27 PM

I heard trainee teachers enrolling into NIE under PGDE have to sit for an entrance test if their curriculum studies include Math. How accurate is this as of 2022 and what other subjects have such tests?

Unregistered 21-05-2022 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218426)
I heard trainee teachers enrolling into NIE under PGDE have to sit for an entrance test if their curriculum studies include Math. How accurate is this as of 2022 and what other subjects have such tests?

For math, there is a test to assess a pre-service teacher's mathematical knowledge and understanding and one has to pass it in 3 tries to be able to teach mathematics

History has a content upgrading exemption test while other subjects have no entrance test but will assign content upgrading modules during the start of the first PGDE Semester if the person is deemed to have insufficient content knowledge from undergrad studies

Unregistered 25-05-2022 06:57 PM

Anyone heard news about mid year bonus?

Unregistered 25-05-2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219102)
Anyone heard news about mid year bonus?

It's only May, wtf are you smoking? It's going to be announced in June and paid in July.

Unregistered 26-05-2022 05:32 PM

Anyone has seconded to other ministries or places before? Can share?

Unregistered 26-05-2022 10:04 PM

SUSS Part-time vs Crossover

Am wondering if anyone knew the difference between choosing to crossover from DipEd to do BSC in NIE/NTU vs taking a part time degree in SUSS. Would they be recognised differently? Any advice for someone who has to make this decision?

Unregistered 27-05-2022 06:48 PM

Has anyone here been made to pay if u drop a laptop and has a small dent at the corner?

Unregistered 27-05-2022 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219407)
Has anyone here been made to pay if u drop a laptop and has a small dent at the corner?

If the damage is caused by you dropping it then you have to pay. But the Lenovo SSOE devices have hinge issues and those are evaluated on a case by case basis. Quite a few incidents of the hinges randomly seizing up and breaking the screen when the laptop is opened with a normal amount of force.

Unregistered 27-05-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219420)
If the damage is caused by you dropping it then you have to pay. But the Lenovo SSOE devices have hinge issues and those are evaluated on a case by case basis. Quite a few incidents of the hinges randomly seizing up and breaking the screen when the laptop is opened with a normal amount of force.

Any idea how much? Screen and all no cracks

Unregistered 27-05-2022 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219421)
Any idea how much? Screen and all no cracks

Not sure about it. So far have only heard of amounts payable for cracked/shattered screens. Your ICT manager or DE will be able to advise.

Unregistered 27-05-2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219425)
Not sure about it. So far have only heard of amounts payable for cracked/shattered screens. Your ICT manager or DE will be able to advise.

Then i keep quiet first :D Hope they dun detect :D

Unregistered 27-05-2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219427)

I hope u teach ur student this.
Coz honesty is usually the worst policy

Unregistered 28-05-2022 04:32 AM

Shame on you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219427)

Shame on you, Teacher. So much for integrity, the foundation

Unregistered 29-05-2022 12:40 PM

Why is MOE using a policy of low salary growth and slow advancement at the entry/lower grades to encourage higher attrition rates? Shouldn't they be trying to encourage attrition at the higher grades e.g. GEO5 ceiling HOTs that are too comfortable to leave? Instead young teachers including expensive scholars are resigning once they complete their bonds and getting 20-30% pay bumps outside.

If the objective is to remove so-called dead weight, the current measures are not effective at all. They are losing more of the wrong demographic.

Unregistered 29-05-2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219579)
Why is MOE using a policy of low salary growth and slow advancement at the entry/lower grades to encourage higher attrition rates? Shouldn't they be trying to encourage attrition at the higher grades e.g. GEO5 ceiling HOTs that are too comfortable to leave? Instead young teachers including expensive scholars are resigning once they complete their bonds and getting 20-30% pay bumps outside.

If the objective is to remove so-called dead weight, the current measures are not effective at all. They are losing more of the wrong demographic.

"Deadweights" do not belong to a certain demographics.

MOE could have increased class sizes and solved a lot of problems with one policy. Instead MOE chose to merge many schools and start new ones. Go figure.

Unregistered 29-05-2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87566)
The current salary scale doesn't seem to be published anymore. In 2015, there was an adjustment of the scale + increase to pay for teachers. GEO officers got +4%, SEO got +9%. So here are some estimated figures from me, based on old GEO1 degree-holder scales (will be inaccurate for lower GEO1-2 grades, I think):

GEO1: 2000-4340 (+4%?) (Untrained teacher)
GEO2: 2160-4500 (+4%?) (Trained beginning teacher)
GEO3: 3380-5540 (+4%?)
GEO4: 4450-6912 (+4%?)
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5184-8316 (+9%?) (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-9288 (+9%?) (min. HOD/LT)
SEO3: 8748-11232 (+9%?) (min. VP/MT)

Don't think the salary range was adjusted so simply, though - I can confirm that current GEO5 range is 4903-7845. From 2012, minimum increased 2%, Max increased 5%.

Since this is the highest salary point for the bulk of MOE teachers, think it's the most relevant for financial planning purposes. Do share if you have confirmed scale for other grades? :)

can anybody confirm if the above is still valid?

Unregistered 30-05-2022 07:11 AM

Think it's been updated along the way… this is what I managed to find via Google.

Hard to verify now (don't think we can check our salary range that easily) I think… but since they've not announced any salary increase since, think can assume it still applies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110033)
Figured I'd bump this - anyone has additional data/edits to suggest? Since this is, after all, the salary.sg forum...

p.s. for teachers without any official appointments, salary grade will cap at GEO5.

GEO1 (Untrained): ? (non-graduates start here)
GEO (Trained): 1600 - 2730
GEO2 (Untrained): 2000-4340 (graduates start here)
GEO2 (Trained): 2538-4500
GEO3: 3515 -5616
GEO4: 4545-7271
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5651-9064 (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-10766 (min. HOD/LT)
SEO3: 8748-11232 (+9%?) (min. HOD/MT)