Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 30-05-2022 08:11 AM

Not sure when they will be reviewing teacher's salary.

Unregistered 30-05-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219579)
Why is MOE using a policy of low salary growth and slow advancement at the entry/lower grades to encourage higher attrition rates? Shouldn't they be trying to encourage attrition at the higher grades e.g. GEO5 ceiling HOTs that are too comfortable to leave? Instead young teachers including expensive scholars are resigning once they complete their bonds and getting 20-30% pay bumps outside.

If the objective is to remove so-called dead weight, the current measures are not effective at all. They are losing more of the wrong demographic.

Just received news from another scholar friend moving on to another career...still quite young also hmmm. Already the 3rd (young) scholar I know of doing this.

Unregistered 30-05-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219654)
Not sure when they will be reviewing teacher's salary.

They have been saying "in discussions" for a few years now. Not sure if they will start using the pandemic as an excuse if you press them further.

It's almost as if the value of teachers' services to society decreased during the pandemic.

Don't talk about tech and private education... even dishwashing is seeing bigger % salary growth than teachers.

Unregistered 30-05-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219661)
Just received news from another scholar friend moving on to another career...still quite young also hmmm. Already the 3rd (young) scholar I know of doing this.

Many scholars are high ability young individuals. Staying in this system is an injustice to them. MOE keeps thinking they can get away with lowballing talent, but all the real talent will be gone very soon. In the end only the mediocre ones remain behind.

Unregistered 30-05-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219666)
Many scholars are high ability young individuals. Staying in this system is an injustice to them. MOE keeps thinking they can get away with lowballing talent, but all the real talent will be gone very soon. In the end only the mediocre ones remain behind.

According to ‘someone’…. Mediocre is less than 500k which is peanuts. Lol so even the scholars are below mediocre

Unregistered 30-05-2022 08:35 PM

Hi all, fourth year teacher. Got promoted to GEO3 last year (routine promotion). Is it a smart move to apply for open posting this year? Because I heard people usually leave after promotion

Unregistered 31-05-2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219729)
Hi all, fourth year teacher. Got promoted to GEO3 last year (routine promotion). Is it a smart move to apply for open posting this year? Because I heard people usually leave after promotion

What are your mid-/long-term goals? If you want to have a chance at climbing the ladder faster, sure, go to HQ. But word of advice, when your HQ stint is coming to an end, if you are not yet GEO4 for whatever reason, you may not be invited to Enhanced Posting Support (which aims to help outgoing HQ officers find KP roles in schools - although it is not guaranteed placement).

GEO3 to GEO4 promotion rate is quite variable these days. Some people get it in 2 years, some people get it in 7 years. Performance in HQ depends on your fit and adaptability anyway, since the work environment is a stark contrast from schools which we are more accustomed to.

Unregistered 31-05-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219729)

Which level do you teach? If want fast promotion go primary school.

Unregistered 03-06-2022 06:55 PM

Is there an advantage to being appointed to an IP KP role vs non IP? Like in terms of career progression?

Unregistered 03-06-2022 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220192)
Is there an advantage to being appointed to an IP KP role vs non IP? Like in terms of career progression?

I suggest you go for whichever portfolio you feel the most for, and/or can contribute the most in. Additionally, some SLs might value the various portfolios differently (you can try to suss out what is the case in your school), though you probably shouldn't make long-term decisions based on factors that might very well change with the next SL rotation...

Unregistered 03-06-2022 09:26 PM

Teachers no salary increment?

Unregistered 03-06-2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220220)
Teachers no salary increment?

Wasn't there an email today on this topic?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220223)
Wasn't there an email today on this topic?

That they have already decided on the range for the other civil servants but not teachers?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220273)
That they have already decided on the range for the other civil servants but not teachers?

Think that pretty much summarises it. So… it's coming, but later (and details TBC)? 😢

Unregistered 04-06-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220274)
Think that pretty much summarises it. So… it's coming, but later (and details TBC)? 😢

And maybe one month later, after a thorough review, it has been decided that teachers are paid competitively and no adjustment is required

Unregistered 04-06-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220275)
And maybe one month later, after a thorough review, it has been decided that teachers are paid competitively and no adjustment is required

If I recall correctly, this happened once before?

And ironically since 2020, MI and PI has been cut by ~30%.. while tanking all the extra new work from all the new policies rolled out due to COVID with limited manpower...

While the public continues to think that teacher working hours are extremely short and our salaries are extremely high...

While many teachers are still working during the June hols at home...Doing things like setting *cough* tests and exams for Terms 3/4 *cough...

While even some SLs think "oh if there's a teacher in the family it's impossible for the child to qualify for FAS"

*Oh but teachers need to be extremely grateful that our situation isn't like the US! Take it or leave it!*

Perhaps educators just aren't valued as much anymore...?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220295)

And ironically since 2020, MI and PI has been cut by ~30%.. while tanking all the extra new work from all the new policies rolled out due to COVID with limited manpower...

While the public continues to think that teacher working hours are extremely short and our salaries are extremely high...

While many teachers are still working during the June hols at home...Doing things like setting *cough* tests and exams for Terms 3/4 *cough...

While even some SLs think "oh if there's a teacher in the family it's impossible for the child to qualify for FAS"

*Oh but teachers need to be extremely grateful that our situation isn't like the US! Take it or leave it!*

Perhaps, but they are many lao jiaos who will never leave the teaching service and is contented with such pay package. Besides, those in service will know there's an oversupply of math and science teachers. I think MOE is more than happy for unhappy folks to find greener pasture elsewhere.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 01:13 PM

Dun wanna be lanjiao anymore n plan to quit. Any1 know roughly how much relief n adjunct teacher earning?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220295)

First people here were dooming and glooming believing that there wouldn't be any salary revisions at all. Then info apparently came out regarding a civil service revision. Now people are speculating that teachers will be excluded from this revision and creating imaginary scenarios in their heads.

What's with the toxic mentality and why can't you all just wait and see what comes out?

What made you all so toxic in your mentality?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220330)
First people here were dooming and glooming believing that there wouldn't be any salary revisions at all. Then info apparently came out regarding a civil service revision. Now people are speculating that teachers will be excluded from this revision and creating imaginary scenarios in their heads.

What's with the toxic mentality and why can't you all just wait and see what comes out?

Because they have been talking about salary revisions since before covid. They're always "discussing" while ignoring that our real salary growth (as in, after accounting for inflation) is basically non-existent. It's almost as if they cannot afford the world-class teaching force that they are always boasting on the world stage about.

Salary revision cycles in the past were <5 years. It's 7 and counting now. How far are they trying to push it?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220192)

There's no built-in benefit to going either the IP or SD path. The system views them equally. What may be different is how the SLs perceive the impact of their IP heads vs their SD heads, which varies from SL to SL.

Do what you love and you will make big impact.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 03:31 PM

Quote:

The fact that they are gunning for higher attrition rates instead of taking the opportunity to improve conditions for teachers (and consequently, for students). Literally egging them on to resign instead of meaningfully deploying them to improve the quality of the school experience for the kids.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220338)
The fact that they are gunning for higher attrition rates instead of taking the opportunity to improve conditions for teachers (and consequently, for students). Literally egging them on to resign instead of meaningfully deploying them to improve the quality of the school experience for the kids.

My hod openly ask me to apply for posting out as I m unable to work according to her
instruction and will be given under performing grade. So all of us better be guai guai boi n guai guai gal ya.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220303)
Perhaps, but they are many lao jiaos who will never leave the teaching service and is contented with such pay package. Besides, those in service will know there's an oversupply of math and science teachers. I think MOE is more than happy for unhappy folks to find greener pasture elsewhere.

If they never give salary revision, I will just resign. Rather take a pay cut and restart outside then let MOE exploit us cheap labour.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 10:05 PM

Abuden

Most people here unhappy about older farmers hogging the higher positions and higher pay packets and asking younger staff to do extra. By observation, most of these older farmers are Gen-Xers (currently 42-56 years). Roughly there are not many Boomers left as once hit 55-62 they asked to make way and the youngest boomer is as old as this island’s independence.

This maybe is inter-generational conflict, not with boomers but gen X it seems. Fwiw, average/median Gen X is 49 years, aka 6 years more before withdrawing cpf. Imagine as Gen X started work in 1997-2003 or even way back to 1990 where teachers were massively hired, not much emphasis on ranking cos epms came much later, can teach well then become kp, got a flat immediately no need to bto cause there there was surplus then and price to income ratio was more reasonable, enjoyed multiple salary revisions, faster promotions and increments to quickly hit salary cap of geo5 and purchased flat/private housing has appreciated already multiple fold. Stress much less throughout with parents more cooperative without any real-time handphone WhatsApp messaging to bug staff. Heck, the organisation on your side by saying just “Teach Less” cause students somehow “Learn More”. Back then if Gen X studied in uni, emplaced on higher pay scale, hitting ceiling earlier.

Not jealous or resentful. But some of these older Gen X now are HODs/SLs doing frankly not exactly that difficult admin work or PR, delegating out much and doing little, after all if there’s a complaint blame on the subordinate, coasting along easily and contributing much less but having higher increments/pay packets than younger officers doing the on the ground grunt work in a far less favourable climate than they were once in before they ascended…tsk tsk something somewhere is seriously broken.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 11:52 PM

Quote:

It happened before. Too young to remember? Come on. All jaded teachers were once young and optimistic. The fire doesn't just die like that.. it gets snuffed out forcefully.

Unregistered 05-06-2022 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220354)
My hod openly ask me to apply for posting out as I m unable to work according to her
instruction and will be given under performing grade. So all of us better be guai guai boi n guai guai gal ya.

Some KPs and SLs demand for absolute compliance. Toxic with lots of micromanagement.

I have heard of multiple teachers of the same department who plotted to leave the school at the same time. And they did, even after the HOD changed face and begged them to stay. The HOD really suffered in many ways after that.

Also heard of another comeback. Be a yes-man to your HOD and also volunteer for larger roles and duties for the school. Endure for 1 year. After getting your next PB, immediately resign/transfer out. Give a nice-sounding, sugar-coated reason e.g. family, kids, so that no one can rebut in any way. Your HOD will suffer backlash from SLs and have to scramble to find others to handle your workload (or even having to handle some of it himself or herself). Your portfolio would also have been beefed up from that 1 year of extra work and duties; use it to your advantage at your next workplace :)

Unregistered 05-06-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220355)
If they never give salary revision, I will just resign. Rather take a pay cut and restart outside then let MOE exploit us cheap labour.

quite a few of my friends (scholars) already left...some didn't even bother to wait...

Unregistered 05-06-2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220435)
quite a few of my friends (scholars) already left...some didn't even bother to wait...

The grass is in fact greener on the other side. MOE gives off the impression that they treat the teaching fraternity like a big financial burden that they can't afford, which needs a major downsizing.

Why let yourself be treated that way when you are in your prime? Late 20s.. the job market out there is much more generous. Don't wait.

Unregistered 05-06-2022 06:06 PM

GEO no salary revision???

Unregistered 05-06-2022 06:49 PM

Usually for pay increment to all teachers, they tend to announce it closer to Teacher's Day.

So if they do intend to increase our pay, we can expect the news in August.

Unregistered 05-06-2022 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220497)
Usually for pay increment to all teachers, they tend to announce it closer to Teacher's Day.

I rather they change scales and raise ceiling before announce increment. Pple like me hitting or already at ceiling won’t get any increment otherwise. So inflation still higher than increment :(

Unregistered 05-06-2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220514)
I rather they change scales and raise ceiling before announce increment. Pple like me hitting or already at ceiling won’t get any increment otherwise. So inflation still higher than increment :(

Based on the previous round of adjustments, the salary ceilings were increased along with increment. As you've alluded, it wouldn't really make sense otherwise…

Unregistered 05-06-2022 11:35 PM

Quote:

I wish I can be as optimistic as you.. fingers crossed.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 07:51 AM

s://.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/teachers-allied-educators-to-get-pay-increase-from-october

The last time our ceiling increase was in 2015

Unregistered 06-06-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220389)
It happened before. Too young to remember? Come on. All jaded teachers were once young and optimistic. The fire doesn't just die like that.. it gets snuffed out forcefully.

Im not the person you replied but which year was that? Too young to have heard of it and cant find in the news

Unregistered 06-06-2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220542)
s://.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/teachers-allied-educators-to-get-pay-increase-from-october

The last time our ceiling increase was in 2015

Correct. And other CS in 2014. Are we expected to wait a year again i wonder.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

If I'm being generous, it's probably because school holidays? That's why never announce for teachers. Maybe 1st week of term 3 I hope!

Unregistered 06-06-2022 10:30 AM

Time to switch career, become OSO. Relax, walk around the school, don't need to handle difficult parents or annoying kids. Get salary increment every few years, slowly the low wage will become high wage.

Unregistered 06-06-2022 10:32 AM

No jump in teacher resignations amid pandemic, says MOE.

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/no-jump-in-teacher-resignation-says-moe?utm_campaign=stfb&utm_medium=social&utm_source =facebook

Why give teacher pay raise? Attrition rate is only 2-3% in recent times. They are contented with their current pay package and benefits.