Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 02-10-2023 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257262)
how to motivate urself if u already at salary cap at 42?

Just look around many who are slogging hard just to pay monthly bills you will be thankful for whatever you have.

Unregistered 02-10-2023 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257009)
these bastards are scumbags. the pretend to be nice smiley etc but are real scumbags. that’s how they got there .

View 1: stupid old people hogging up the leadership and teaching appointments. Why block the way for younger, better teachers to rise up the ranks? These people are just cruising along doing the bare minimum instead of actively contributing.

View 2: evil SLs trying to push people from their posts. These people are still doing what's required at their level, so why are they being ousted when they are still capable?

Really goes to show that there's no right and easy answer to all of this.

Munchen 03-10-2023 06:59 AM

Im sure most here are already experienced or senior teachers. But can i ask why there is double standards? I have seen HODs and very experienced teachers doing questionable practices like giving out revision papers with exact same exam questions and nobody bats an eyelid. A BT who merely rehashed the entire chapter was warned to be extra careful because he/she might accidentally or indirectly give the impression to students that certain chapters are more important than the rest and that exam matters are so seriois you may be asked to leave the service without question.

sigh 03-10-2023 09:45 PM

Work Bullies

I don't know where to begin. I'm a GEO 3, appointed coordinator this year. I'm going into 2nd year in the service. Although, no longer a BT I still consider myself very new. I'm facing an issue that's bothering mentally/psychologically. I know I am being bullied at work by the senior and experience teacher. I set a few papers for my department but was told to erase my name and put hers. Her reason was not nice for the SLs knowing everything was set by me so I made the changes and put her name down. PLT are basically not moving anywhere, I am being put in a spot to do and prepare the upcoming presentation myself and the same teacher is taking recognition as well. My previous sharing clusters etc many times the same thing happened as well. I planned programmes and sending students for competition. Juggling so many work with my 40+ period timetable. I feel being used and shut down Worst she is my RO. And worst my school is packed with STs who will shoved all the admin work for BT like me to do and we cannot say no. They can simply say they don't want to do but I can't. If I were to speak to SLs, SLs will not support small fry like me because they treasure the STs in my schools. Which ever happened. I am lost thinking what should I do to keep my sanity and protect my mental health at all cost.

Unregistered 04-10-2023 01:48 PM

How much is Presiding Examiner Allowance?

Hi,

I was just appointed as PE for National Exam for school for the first time.

I hear that PE get abit more than normal invigilators. What is the amount? Say for 3 weeks of National Exam.

Unregistered 04-10-2023 09:57 PM

If you have attended the briefing, you should know what will be your duty allowance.

Unregistered 04-10-2023 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257495)
If you have attended the briefing, you should know what will be your duty allowance.

I was appointed after the briefing, just this week...LOL...had to replace a colleague. Any ideas on the ballpark number?

Unregistered 05-10-2023 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257498)
I was appointed after the briefing, just this week...LOL...had to replace a colleague. Any ideas on the ballpark number?

$50/day for PE

Unregistered 05-10-2023 12:14 PM

Connect Plan

How much will be the connect plan payout for this year, who is receiving the first payout?

Unregistered 05-10-2023 04:45 PM

Ever thought of searching up our own intranet for such info? It’s all there

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257544)
How much will be the connect plan payout for this year, who is receiving the first payout?

Unregistered 05-10-2023 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257262)
how to motivate urself if u already at salary cap at 42?

8250 is a decent amount. if you're hungry for more, can always give tuition during your free time

Unregistered 05-10-2023 06:18 PM

When is ranking officially over and performance grades set in stone?

Unregistered 06-10-2023 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257567)
When is ranking officially over and performance grades set in stone?

Ranking exercise is over. However, beware of assuming that performance grades are already set in stone. If something emerges, even if the cluster supt has already endorsed the performance grades, they may still allow them to be changed with good justification (e.g. a serious staff disciplinary issue emerging at the end of the year).

Unregistered 06-10-2023 09:52 PM

Any idea when will P/VP's posting be out this year? So far no new P/VP came for any handovering, does it mean no change of SLs for my sch?

Unregistered 07-10-2023 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257603)
Ranking exercise is over. However, beware of assuming that performance grades are already set in stone. If something emerges, even if the cluster supt has already endorsed the performance grades, they may still allow them to be changed with good justification (e.g. a serious staff disciplinary issue emerging at the end of the year).

Just go straight to your P office, knock his door and ask him when he leaving the school, same for your VPs

Unregistered 09-10-2023 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257618)
Any idea when will P/VP's posting be out this year? So far no new P/VP came for any handovering, does it mean no change of SLs for my sch?

By mid oct.

No

Unregistered 10-10-2023 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257729)
By mid oct.

No

Out already. Embargoed till today 4pm.

Unregistered 10-10-2023 11:28 PM

Just curious.

What's the diff between SH & LH?

How does one get the MSEA?

Unregistered 11-10-2023 05:24 PM

I am a BT in my first year. Was posted to this particular school in January for my practicum, completed and graduated officially in April. Took over the role of a Level Rep from Term 3 onwards. Any chances of getting any promotion? Was told BTs usually get promoted to the next grade at least 3 years later.

Unregistered 11-10-2023 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257911)
I am a BT in my first year. Was posted to this particular school in January for my practicum, completed and graduated officially in April. Took over the role of a Level Rep from Term 3 onwards. Any chances of getting any promotion? Was told BTs usually get promoted to the next grade at least 3 years later.

have u already gotten your cohort promotion to GEO3?

Unregistered 11-10-2023 06:19 PM

As a CPE, can I or SEAB send feedback about exam personnel to the school?

Unregistered 11-10-2023 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257914)
have u already gotten your cohort promotion to GEO3?

Nope, I was only promoted to GEO2 (trained) from GEO2 (untrained). Maybe because I was from the PGDE instead of degree course?

Unregistered 11-10-2023 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257917)

someone chao keng and chao kuan in ur exam spot?

Unregistered 12-10-2023 12:45 AM

Quote:

One year can promote lo

Unregistered 12-10-2023 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257918)
Nope, I was only promoted to GEO2 (trained) from GEO2 (untrained). Maybe because I was from the PGDE instead of degree course?

For PGDE, if you have NS, you'll be promoted in Apr next year. If not, Apr the following year.

Unregistered 12-10-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257984)
For PGDE, if you have NS, you'll be promoted in Apr next year. If not, Apr the following year.

Wow, they are really determined to drag out teachers' promotions, huh.

Not too long ago, if a batch was confirmed in June, the NSmen would be promoted that same October, while everyone else would be promoted the next April. The only ones not being promoted are those with disciplinary cases and/or adverse grades in their first year.

Unregistered 13-10-2023 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigh (Post 257419)
I don't know where to begin. I'm a GEO 3, appointed coordinator this year. I'm going into 2nd year in the service. Although, no longer a BT I still consider myself very new. I'm facing an issue that's bothering mentally/psychologically. I know I am being bullied at work by the senior and experience teacher. I set a few papers for my department but was told to erase my name and put hers. Her reason was not nice for the SLs knowing everything was set by me so I made the changes and put her name down. PLT are basically not moving anywhere, I am being put in a spot to do and prepare the upcoming presentation myself and the same teacher is taking recognition as well. My previous sharing clusters etc many times the same thing happened as well. I planned programmes and sending students for competition. Juggling so many work with my 40+ period timetable. I feel being used and shut down Worst she is my RO. And worst my school is packed with STs who will shoved all the admin work for BT like me to do and we cannot say no. They can simply say they don't want to do but I can't. If I were to speak to SLs, SLs will not support small fry like me because they treasure the STs in my schools. Which ever happened. I am lost thinking what should I do to keep my sanity and protect my mental health at all cost.

reach out to STU. if you’re not alr a member, please sign up. they’re effective and credible middle person to ‘mediate’ and advice in issues like this.
alternatively, you may consider posting out. your cv looks impressive for someone relatively new. hopefully things will get better.

Unregistered 13-10-2023 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257998)
Wow, they are really determined to drag out teachers' promotions, huh.

Not too long ago, if a batch was confirmed in June, the NSmen would be promoted that same October, while everyone else would be promoted the next April. The only ones not being promoted are those with disciplinary cases and/or adverse grades in their first year.

i actually heard of people taking even longer to reach the cohort promotion in the recent years

male with NS taking 2 years and female without NS taking 3 years for that

whats strange is that they do not have discipline cases or adverse grades

Unregistered 13-10-2023 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258053)
i actually heard of people taking even longer to reach the cohort promotion in the recent years

male with NS taking 2 years and female without NS taking 3 years for that

whats strange is that they do not have discipline cases or adverse grades

So it seems like cohort promotions are no longer a given, at a specific time after confirmation.

Shouldn't call it cohort promotion anymore, then, since it has to be earned based on merit the same way as any of the subsequent promotions.

Unregistered 13-10-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258048)
reach out to STU. if you’re not alr a member, please sign up. they’re effective and credible middle person to ‘mediate’ and advice in issues like this.
alternatively, you may consider posting out. your cv looks impressive for someone relatively new. hopefully things will get better.

GEO3, have been so for a few years. Had similar experiences and was basically doing work beyond my pay scale consecutively for a couple of years. Raised concerns about promotion but it all boiled down to age. Posted out but just entered another trap in the new school. Crazy marking load, so much so that I cannot even think of performing beyond my pay grade to fight for a promotion. Tired and jaded. Back to marking.

Unregistered 13-10-2023 04:35 PM

I would like to know when would be a good time to quit after getting the connect plan for the year. It says that we need to at least have a C- as our grade in order to receive the connect plan. Is that referring to the grade we receive in March/April of the year we receive the connect plan?

Munchen 13-10-2023 07:09 PM

Quote:

Not good. Limited upside, only downside. For someone new as you, chances are high you will make a mistake while carrying out duties with visibility. So make mistake means you are not performing to expectations. Huff and puff away and you will meet expectations and be put in C grade category just like other minnows. Except that other minnows dont really need to perform work beyond their level like you.

Only way this may work out for you is if you meet expectations for a couple of years. Even then its not a given.

Im in the same boat as you. And we are likely from the same pgde batch. :0

Munchen 13-10-2023 07:22 PM

Quote:

I wonder how teachers teach CCE values to students but behind the classroom, they stab each other in the back just to get that extra few grands of bonus.

Unregistered 13-10-2023 08:22 PM

Quote:

You are already affected mentally. New or not new, RO or not, it is not okay for your RO to ask you to change your name to hers/his. There is no setter list sent to indicate who the setters are? If yes, that would be a hard evidence to show how credits of yours was robbed of. Cluster sharing etc would help you stand out. Look out for your perf grade and see if you are rightfully appraised. Anything C+ or below, I would hesitate to go straight to the SLs. You have nothing to be afraid of. It will also help to request for a change of RO. In front of SLs, do remember to act pitiful and subtly revealed the malpractice while pretending to think that your RO must have reasons for doing so. Not sure what to do? Go watch some palace shows.

Unregistered 13-10-2023 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258066)
GEO3, have been so for a few years. Had similar experiences and was basically doing work beyond my pay scale consecutively for a couple of years. Raised concerns about promotion but it all boiled down to age. Posted out but just entered another trap in the new school. Crazy marking load, so much so that I cannot even think of performing beyond my pay grade to fight for a promotion. Tired and jaded. Back to marking.

And somehow the public still think teachers are too free.

MOE management still refusing to acknowledge the problem of staff shortage.
Still going on with their nonsense that teachers are in excess.

Unregistered 14-10-2023 04:06 AM

hi i am a MOE Teaching Scholar, did my undergrad in NIE, did well in my practicum and won multiple awards for grades, leadership and community service. i am currently doing my overseas masters under MOE sponsorship in a prestigious uni immediately after undergrad. assuming i pass my overseas masters, i was just wondering what are my prospects in MOE in terms of CEP? or is my CEP the same as everyone else?

Unregistered 14-10-2023 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258114)
hi i am a MOE Teaching Scholar, did my undergrad in NIE, did well in my practicum and won multiple awards for grades, leadership and community service. i am currently doing my overseas masters under MOE sponsorship in a prestigious uni immediately after undergrad. assuming i pass my overseas masters, i was just wondering what are my prospects in MOE in terms of CEP? or is my CEP the same as everyone else?

If things are the same as in the mid-2010s, your CEP may start slightly higher than non-scholars', but not super high (unlike EMS/PSC scholars, who are placed on the FLP immediately). But this isn't important imo. Like everyone else, your actual career trajectory will depend heavily on what your school's panel does (to your CEP) in the first few years. You can start at "farmer level" but be pushed high enough to get on FLP. You can also start "high" but be pushed down.

CEP may also have changed/will change to a different system very soon, in alignment with the rest of the civil service. The details of this are not clear.

Unregistered 14-10-2023 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258086)
You are already affected mentally. New or not new, RO or not, it is not okay for your RO to ask you to change your name to hers/his. There is no setter list sent to indicate who the setters are? If yes, that would be a hard evidence to show how credits of yours was robbed of. Cluster sharing etc would help you stand out. Look out for your perf grade and see if you are rightfully appraised. Anything C+ or below, I would hesitate to go straight to the SLs. You have nothing to be afraid of. It will also help to request for a change of RO. In front of SLs, do remember to act pitiful and subtly revealed the malpractice while pretending to think that your RO must have reasons for doing so. Not sure what to do? Go watch some palace shows.

To add on… even without a setter's list, if you set the papers on a computer, there should be a digital trail of some sort, right? Even if it wasn't transferred via email, the digital file and metadata could act as supporting evidence.

If you have hard evidence of clear lack of integrity for this officer, I can't imagine any SL (or, if it blows up, superintendents) being supportive of such behaviour.

Unregistered 15-10-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258066)

You raised your concerns to your school? Or you asked HR directly?

Their reply was that you're not old enough to be promoted? :/

Unregistered 15-10-2023 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257917)

just email lor