Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-09-2023 10:46 PM

Need to remember appointment ≠ actual paygrade.

Know of GEO4 HODs. Very tough.

Unregistered 20-09-2023 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256401)
Need to remember appointment ≠ actual paygrade.

Know of GEO4 HODs. Very tough.

i am very sure it has to do with some “norming” done by hr pegged to uni results, etc .
and demands of normal teacher
because u find geo4 hods in primary schools. in jc most KPs are actually on SEO scale. many are on GEO for a very short while if the are KPs and def not HODs.
in many jcs most of the HOTs are GEO5 and many hit salary cap early on

Unregistered 21-09-2023 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256363)
Since when can one skip HOD/YH role before becoming VP? Unless the person was AD in HQ?

Lol, several Ps who were on PSC scholarships never even took on SH or HOD roles before becoming VP. Their exp in HQ counted as equivalent or more superior to SH or HOD. HODs might seem "big" in school but honestly in HQ they are just normal staff officers because the hierarchy is so steep

Unregistered 21-09-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256405)
i am very sure it has to do with some “norming” done by hr pegged to uni results, etc .
and demands of normal teacher
because u find geo4 hods in primary schools. in jc most KPs are actually on SEO scale. many are on GEO for a very short while if the are KPs and def not HODs.
in many jcs most of the HOTs are GEO5 and many hit salary cap early on

Being a HOD at GEO4 has nothing to do with the fact that one is in pri school. Pri school HODs can be SEO2 or even SEO3, if they hold the appointment for long enough.

The trend may be a result of Pri school KP positions being easier to get and more accessible to younger EOs, while the turnover in JC may not be as fast, hence people sit on the positions for longer.

Unregistered 24-09-2023 10:49 AM

anyone else observes - single teachers and/or/ esp male ones tend to put in longer hours eg conduct more remedials, help sessions while female married ones try to get away but do equally well at rankings?

Unregistered 24-09-2023 02:37 PM

Hi! I'm a GEO3. This is my fourth year of service. Expecting my GEO4 next year.

I am keen to do a Masters for my own interest (likely full-time).
When would be a good time to do that?

Unregistered 24-09-2023 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256640)

If you meet the minimum criteria for PGA/PGS, you can try your luck, although it is quite difficult to get. You need at least one B grade in the last few years, but that alone does not boost your chances much. A portfolio of your achievements at work is more critical.

If you would like to try for paid professional development leave, you have to wait till your 10th year of service (or 9th for NSmen).

See if you can get your SLs' support for no-pay professional development leave. But from a financial point of view, not advisable.

Unregistered 24-09-2023 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256626)
anyone else observes - single teachers and/or/ esp male ones tend to put in longer hours eg conduct more remedials, help sessions while female married ones try to get away but do equally well at rankings?

is this cos of a popular post u saw on one of the forums out there? haha

Unregistered 25-09-2023 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256626)

Not true. Doing more does not always better. Ranking is generally fair. The females would have done something impactful so that they are ranked well. But what is fairly well? It it’s a C grade, then haha, it’s the default grade and most ppl should get that grade.

Unregistered 25-09-2023 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256640)

Hahaha why would u expect yr geo 4 next year? Alot ppl stuck in geo3

Unregistered 25-09-2023 06:55 PM

Sorry just a personal observation - is the resignation rate for EAS increasing as well? DEs, ICT managers, OSOs, MSOs, TSOs, AMs, OMs turnover rate seems to be getting higher?

Not sure if this is the same everywhere

Unregistered 25-09-2023 10:33 PM

Hi, just wondering. Will you get performance bonus in April if taking NPL starting from next year?

Unregistered 26-09-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256733)
Sorry just a personal observation - is the resignation rate for EAS increasing as well? DEs, ICT managers, OSOs, MSOs, TSOs, AMs, OMs turnover rate seems to be getting higher?

Not sure if this is the same everywhere

Yes my workplace had a change of 4 DEs in a month. One barely stayed for a week. The TSOs also kept changing and now we have many ADJT. Every one looks foreign and the culture is business -like.

Unregistered 26-09-2023 01:53 PM

Yes my sch DEs seem to change every other month lulz

Unregistered 26-09-2023 04:47 PM

Can ST being forced to step down ?

SL keep pestering me to step down as ST , my grade was
C to C+ for the pass 7 years, no disciplinary issue.
The P is unhappy with my performance.

Unregistered 26-09-2023 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256800)

Don’t think they can but they’re probably gonna make things difficult for you anyway. Pestering you to step down is a way to try and manage you out. You could transfer out or wait for the SL to rotate out.

Unregistered 26-09-2023 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256828)
Don’t think they can but they’re probably gonna make things difficult for you anyway. Pestering you to step down is a way to try and manage you out. You could transfer out or wait for the SL to rotate out.

The P or Supt has the power to strip the ST of the appointment. But it doesn't look good as it requires a lot of justification.. evidence of not meeting performance or disciplinary expectations, whichever applicable. So Ps would rather avoid all the bloodshed and just nudge the ST to initiate the process of stepping down.

Unregistered 26-09-2023 10:07 PM

Quote:

Do not step down
Tbh how can the p be unhappy with ur performance

I'm also unhappy with my p performance
Yet I nv pressure him to step down

Ya don't step down
They need to give justification
Are u not coming to work, taking
Too much mc?

Which part of ur performance is exactly no good
Also keep all records of ur conversation
And WhatsApp

Be cordial
Screenshot any rude moments by them

We fight to the moe

Anyway maybe also dun need to fight
Coz in a few years time the p also post out

Unregistered 26-09-2023 10:12 PM

BTW p r not always correct

My jc p got jailed for lying to civil servant
Pei chun p got jailed for paying underage sex workers
Maris Stella p got jailed embezzlement

Do not hold your p in high regard
Unless there command ur respect

They can be equally clueless

Unregistered 27-09-2023 05:54 AM

Quote:

Hi, collect all the screenshots, voice recording etc and ask the Singapore teachers' union for help

Unregistered 27-09-2023 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256855)
Hi, collect all the screenshots, voice recording etc and ask the Singapore teachers' union for help

Seek help from STU ? Is there any place in HQ can offer advice ??

Unregistered 27-09-2023 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256889)
Seek help from STU ? Is there any place in HQ can offer advice ??

There are avenues to raise official complaints directly to HR. Search intranet.

Unregistered 28-09-2023 08:28 AM

CPF Contribution

Hi, I received a possible offer from MOE PGDE. May I know if non-pensionable component and non-pensionable variable payment mean CPF 20% will not be from those amount?

Is the % assigned for basic salary, MVC, non-pensionable component, and non-pensionable variable payment the same for all teachers?

I feel like the % for basic salary is so low ... :| Not sure if this is the norm or ...

Unregistered 28-09-2023 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256957)
Hi, I received a possible offer from MOE PGDE. May I know if non-pensionable component and non-pensionable variable payment mean CPF 20% will not be from those amount?

Is the % assigned for basic salary, MVC, non-pensionable component, and non-pensionable variable payment the same for all teachers?

I feel like the % for basic salary is so low ... :| Not sure if this is the norm or ...

it's the norm.

seems like CPF contribution will be fore non-pensionable component and variable for me (to a cap of 6k+)

Unregistered 28-09-2023 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256957)

For practical understanding, just lump everything together. CPF contributions will be based on the first $6300 (from Sept 2023).

Also.. wdym basic salary is so low, the WHOLE fscking salary is so low, welcome to the MOE rank-and-file!

Unregistered 28-09-2023 05:03 PM

has everyone already received the elections allowance?

Unregistered 28-09-2023 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256995)
has everyone already received the elections allowance?

Mine just in. Quite a pittance for a weekend burnt. Sigh

Unregistered 28-09-2023 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256829)
The P or Supt has the power to strip the ST of the appointment. But it doesn't look good as it requires a lot of justification.. evidence of not meeting performance or disciplinary expectations, whichever applicable. So Ps would rather avoid all the bloodshed and just nudge the ST to initiate the process of stepping down.

these bastards are scumbags. the pretend to be nice smiley etc but are real scumbags. that’s how they got there .

Unregistered 28-09-2023 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257009)
these bastards are scumbags. the pretend to be nice smiley etc but are real scumbags. that’s how they got there .

Exactly , Supt don't even want to reply to my email, though
I'm asking her for advice only.

Unregistered 28-09-2023 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257015)
Exactly , Supt don't even want to reply to my email, though
I'm asking her for advice only.

You have to be honest with yourself. Are you pulling your weight in your current school. There are likely people who want your position. If you cannot deliver what your SLs want, then either step up your game or change your environment. Schools are tightening their manpower. Be honest and set your ego aside.

Unregistered 28-09-2023 09:32 PM

Seeking advice from experienced people. I became hod this year. Mid 30s. Would like to aim for vpship. Any experienced colleagues can share your experience? Not a scholar.

Unregistered 28-09-2023 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256974)
For practical understanding, just lump everything together. CPF contributions will be based on the first $6300 (from Sept 2023).

Also.. wdym basic salary is so low, the WHOLE fscking salary is so low, welcome to the MOE rank-and-file!

Does this mean CPF contribution (from employee) will be your total salary x 0.2? Or only the [basic salary + MVC] x 0.2?

I was surprised by the low % of basic salary as I thought it'll be around 80% ish.

Unregistered 29-09-2023 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257028)
Does this mean CPF contribution (from employee) will be your total salary x 0.2? Or only the [basic salary + MVC] x 0.2?

I was surprised by the low % of basic salary as I thought it'll be around 80% ish.

( First 6.3k of total salary ) x 0.2

Unregistered 29-09-2023 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257042)
( First 6.3k of total salary ) x 0.2

Thank you so much!

Unregistered 29-09-2023 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257004)
Mine just in. Quite a pittance for a weekend burnt. Sigh

Still have not received allowance for elections duty. Who do I approach for this?

Unregistered 01-10-2023 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257019)
Seeking advice from experienced people. I became hod this year. Mid 30s. Would like to aim for vpship. Any experienced colleagues can share your experience? Not a scholar.

I can only say that it depends greatly on your SLs and your CEP.
The reality is that there is a bottleneck with increasing number of schools, positions filled and a queue waiting to be appointed. However, it doesn’t mean that all hopes are lost.

You have just been appointed this year, so I would say that you can focus on displaying the right attitude and working on meeting above your KRA. After that, slowly take on projects/responsibilities that allow you to show your aptitude. When the time is right, your SL might bring up the topic. The other way is for you to discuss your career development with them. A good indicator would be your perf grade. If you do get As, it will be a good indicator that you are doing things well.

Unregistered 01-10-2023 04:06 PM

Quote:

Are you living up to your pay grade? Did you ask your SLs why or what exactly are they unhappy with? To be able to hold on to the apportionment for 7 years with pressure from likely two different Ps, you have lots of determination. What is stopping you from stepping down? You disagree with their judgment? You love what you are doing? You can’t bear to give up the salary grade? If conscience is clear, nothing to worry about. If there are shortfalls, work on them or consider making way for others by stepping down.

Unregistered 01-10-2023 09:24 PM

Are untrained contract teachers paid during December holidays too, or only trained full-timers?

Unregistered 01-10-2023 10:05 PM

how to motivate urself if u already at salary cap at 42?

Unregistered 02-10-2023 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 257258)
Are untrained contract teachers paid during December holidays too, or only trained full-timers?

it's paid if you're going to NIE