Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 20-02-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civilservant wannabe (Post 9714)
so you think 3750 is an okay deal? should i ask for more?
would you guys negotiate for $50 more per month?

anyway to answer your qns...

i applied in end december, just slightly before x'mas.
got called up on first week of jan where they scheduled me for a psychometric test on the 14th of jan (i remembered it was friday).
the hr called me again, slightly a week later and scheduled me for an interview on the 25th jan.
two days after, they told me they would like to schedule health screening and security clearance on 4th feb, so i guessed i scored during the interview.
after 4 feb, they took 1.5 weeks to get back and called me on 16 feb with a verbal offer.

i say the whole thing is approx 7 weeks. damn exhausting. zzzzzz.

anyway, i think the psychometric test is impt. perhaps you should buy books to practise. those pattern questions and comprehension questions books can be easily found in bookstores. i admitted to practising them before going for the test. every little bit helps i guess.

Dont waste time bargaining for just $50. Anyway its a good jump from your previous job so if I were you, I'll gladly accept :)

Unregistered 20-02-2011 07:22 PM

Enquiry

Hi bro

Currently I just finished on interview on DXO & HASE position, may I know roughly when will they call you again for 3rd interview? Just want to know roughly if there is a chance for me

Unregistered 20-02-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9713)
In may. Then elections.

are you sure? i tot PB is usually in march?

Unregistered 20-02-2011 10:35 PM

Just some general questions on civil service:

What will be the end point of civil servants nowadays? Do they work till retirement or they are being retrenched once they have no more added value?

There was a time when civil service was trying to attract private sector workers who want to make a mid career switch. Is this still the case?

Unregistered 22-02-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civilservant wannabe (Post 9615)
saw a lot of civil servants here. was hoping to get genuine advice from some.

some details...
qualifiction: ntu 2nd upps
working exp: 1.5 years
previous job: private sector (biz dev / mkting)
salary: $2.5

just applied for a job at mindef. and they are offering me $3750 for a dxo position.

is this okay? should i ask for more? i saw someone commenting that mindef now pays about $3.5 to fresh grads....

if so, how much should i ask for?

3750 is very reasonable. Take it.

Unregistered 03-03-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5850)
My background:
2nd upper Science Graduate (NUS). Class of 2007. Civil Servant.
Earning $4.4k gross monthly. I'm not a scholar btw. I will be age 28 by year end 2010.

$4.4k is my gross monthly salary (doesnt include the bonuses).
Starting pay was $3.3k in 2007
Went up to $3.6k in 2008
Then to $3.8k in 2009
Then to $4.4k in 2010

By default, you get an annual increase in pay (called merit increment;dependent whether u perform well at work) and on top of that a promotional increment (if you get promoted to a higher job-grade)

Hope this will give you a guage of your salary.

Is it all people in civil service getting this type of annual increment?
07-08 = u got +$300 annual increment
08-09 = u got +$200 annual increment
09-10 = u got +$600 (i assume u got annual increment + a promotion)
for 10-11 = i estimate u got at least +$200-$300 which make your basic to between $4.6k-$4.7k.

This is alot man. I also the same age as you, start working from fresh grad since sept 2007 till now, my current basic salary is very close to $3.4k but below $3.4k only...in private sector GLC

I should join civil service.

miwashi 03-03-2011 04:46 PM

me too
i am 34, 2nd upper honors science.
started working in 2003, getting $4.6k now. Seems like people who graduated later caught up very fast

Unregistered 05-03-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 9921)
me too
i am 34, 2nd upper honors science.
started working in 2003, getting $4.6k now. Seems like people who graduated later caught up very fast

It really depends... I started out in 2007 with a pte mfg plant, starting salary is onlt 2.8k. At the end of 2007, it was adjusted to 3k. I switched to stat board with 3.1k in 2008. After a year, I was only getting 3.2k+ while at the same time fresh grad who came in was already getting 3.5k. So i switch job again in 2010. This time to civil service, and I was offered 4k.

Imagine if I had stayed faithfully in 1 company throughout, I do not think I can get the amount of salary I am getting today. But at the same time we cannot possibly be hopping here and there every few years as it will look bad on our resume... So I guess its good to hop more when young to try out different things and settle down fast in an area you enjoy and with good prospect & stability. :)

blackswan 05-03-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 9985)
It really depends... I started out in 2007 with a pte mfg plant, starting salary is onlt 2.8k. At the end of 2007, it was adjusted to 3k. I switched to stat board with 3.1k in 2008. After a year, I was only getting 3.2k+ while at the same time fresh grad who came in was already getting 3.5k. So i switch job again in 2010. This time to civil service, and I was offered 4k.

Imagine if I had stayed faithfully in 1 company throughout, I do not think I can get the amount of salary I am getting today. But at the same time we cannot possibly be hopping here and there every few years as it will look bad on our resume... So I guess its good to hop more when young to try out different things and settle down fast in an area you enjoy and with good prospect & stability. :)

wats ur discipline and class of hons?

Unregistered 05-03-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 9986)
wats ur discipline and class of hons?

B.Eng EEE 2nd upper