Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Bean 26-03-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22863)
Pte sector is volatile..thats true. But they can pay much better than the public sector depending on the sector. With the given forcast for this year, I doubt guys in public sector maybe getting anything close to what they have been getting in the past.

I come from the pte sector and have been climbing up the ladder from junior exec starting with a base pay of $2k back then. Now I am at a comfortable 7.5k after working for 7 years. Increment is dependent on your performance. It maybe bad in some places, but not all.

In between my jobs, I had the opportunity to join a stat board. Certainly not my cup of tea at the much slower pace of work. Annual increment is so so; not fantastic. Based on the assumption, I doubt I would have reach my current base salary if I decide to stay on for another 3yrs.

Public sector's promotion is kind of slow as I gathered. No offence..but its for those who like a relax, non challenging and stable work life balance. You gain some..you lose some.

are you in engineering private sector(non-oil/gas)?

you not from Financial/accounting/IB/banking right?

Liverpool 27-03-2012 06:53 AM

anyone here have experience tendering resignation after getting performance bonus? when is the earliest I can tender?

Unregistered 27-03-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 22908)
anyone here have experience tendering resignation after getting performance bonus? when is the earliest I can tender?

once the $$ in your bank acct?

cslee 27-03-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktyandkyc (Post 22875)
May I know how it is so?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22870)
The MAS experience is overrated. Think before you leap.

I feel that it's what you really did and contributed that's really count - not the organization and the job title you held.

Unregistered 27-03-2012 03:34 PM

How much can I get being a teacher?

Hi,

I am in my mid 30s with Masters degree. Been working in private sector for more than 10 years. I am interested in becoming a teacher but not sure about payscale. I just want something comfortable for me and my family. I am drawing about S$6k with no bonus this year. What would be the expected pay for me if I join the civil service now?

Unregistered 27-03-2012 03:49 PM

To be a teacher?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22925)
Hi,

I am in my mid 30s with Masters degree. Been working in private sector for more than 10 years. I am interested in becoming a teacher but not sure about payscale. I just want something comfortable for me and my family. I am drawing about S$6k with no bonus this year. What would be the expected pay for me if I join the civil service now?

To add on, my Masters is a NUS IT degree. And I would like to teach English and Maths in Primary school :)

Bean 27-03-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22925)
Hi,

i think they will at most offer you 4-4.5k starting salary as a teacher, is cfm pay cut!!!

Unregistered 27-03-2012 05:28 PM

Tink if they take you in.. unlikely they'll let you teach in primary school because you cost too much and more relax than secondary... Usually for degree holders, they will push you to teach in the secondary sch.. if you got masters, you can start off in secondary school first and then progress to teaching JC...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22926)
To add on, my Masters is a NUS IT degree. And I would like to teach English and Maths in Primary school :)

Unregistered 27-03-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 22927)
i think they will at most offer you 4-4.5k starting salary as a teacher, is cfm pay cut!!!

Ok, if 4.3k so 12 month + bonus (say 3 month) = 64500
Compared to me working in Banking IT: 6.3K so 12 month + 0 bonus = 75600
This means pay cut = 14.7% pay cut Plus no outsourcing of job role overseas
=> I can take that Thanks :)

Any idea when will be the next teacher seminar for mid-career switchers?
And if I apply online now, how soon would MOE reply if I am selected for interview?

unregistered 27-03-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 22915)
I feel that it's what you really did and contributed that's really count - not the organization and the job title you held.

yupp i guess so too!

Actually my point was the transfer-ability of the skillsets to the private sector if I were to start my 1st job in Information Tech Dept in MAS?

Hope to get your insight. Thank you.