Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 05-09-2023 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255247)
Still accurate? Some places seem to be paying higher than reported on the website.

Like? The firm which shouts cutting-edge wall street work is not B4 you know.

Unregistered 06-09-2023 01:40 AM

what's the progression like in B4 (in terms of PQE?) heard drew is the fastest to make partner, thoughts?

TIA!

Unregistered 06-09-2023 09:18 AM

i have enrolled in SUSS law, what can i expect as a prospective student?

Unregistered 06-09-2023 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255321)

Part time or full time?

Unregistered 06-09-2023 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255334)
Part time or full time?

Troller, results for Suss law is not even out yet. GTFO

Unregistered 06-09-2023 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255321)

Isn’t interview till 30th sept? U meant last year enrolled?

Unregistered 06-09-2023 09:57 PM

Anyone knows what are the unis of those who got the MC/SC/US sg tcs this year? And whether fch? CC, latham, hsf, sidley, etc.

Unregistered 06-09-2023 10:03 PM

how do FLAs compare to big 4 firms

Unregistered 06-09-2023 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 254877)
Absolutely disgusting show of just how disconnected and tone deaf the boomer lawyers are. Who the hell is still thinking about **** like Suits after going through 5 years of crap in law school + part B + TC, does he think he is talking to JC kids? And what is that crazy talk about money, productivity, and how WLB is impossible - finding it hard to get new warm bodies to exploit? Boo hoo, kids these days don't wana work any more

Also discovered that the guy is the founder of some exotic car club in SG lmao really matches the image he is giving off...

actually what's more disgusting than the speech is the virtue signalling and grandstanding on LinkedIn by other lawyers who're taking this opportunity to dogpile on CBT.

Some of their passive-aggressive faux critical comments are truly hypocritical, especially coming from some of the senior lawyers, because we know they think exactly the same way.

CBT was just saying what most of them think.

Unregistered 06-09-2023 10:46 PM

i enrolled for the full time progamme.

Unregistered 06-09-2023 11:46 PM

Which international firm has the best hours?

Unregistered 07-09-2023 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255367)
i enrolled for the full time progamme.

Talk cock la there is only one programme no part time or full time. Classes are all held together. This guy is troller

Unregistered 07-09-2023 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255366)
actually what's more disgusting than the speech is the virtue signalling and grandstanding on LinkedIn by other lawyers who're taking this opportunity to dogpile on CBT.

Some of their passive-aggressive faux critical comments are truly hypocritical, especially coming from some of the senior lawyers, because we know they think exactly the same way.

CBT was just saying what most of them think.

For now, just enjoy the passive aggressive posts from both sides

Unregistered 07-09-2023 09:00 AM

I am a NQ with 5.5k salary. I had an offer from big4 which offered me 6.7k but i rejected as I did not want that area of law.

May I know people from small-mid sized firms like me, how much are you getting as NQ?

Unregistered 07-09-2023 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255316)
what's the progression like in B4 (in terms of PQE?) heard drew is the fastest to make partner, thoughts?

TIA!

Any firm that can promise partnership after x years is ********. Just look at all the young junior partners in B4 - they're all glorified senior associates. Few of them have their own book, and are just slaving for the equity partners.

In short, this question is a foolish one.

Unregistered 07-09-2023 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255372)

hard to say. the level of competition of international firms (both internal and external) means that more likely than not their lawyers are expected to work pretty hard. international law firm hours are probably crap (like top law firms across the industry). even among international law firms, hard to say whether one firm has the "best" hours or not because it's team-dependent. not sure if anyone can come up with a satisfactory answer for this...

Unregistered 07-09-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255380)
I am a NQ with 5.5k salary. I had an offer from big4 which offered me 6.7k but i rejected as I did not want that area of law.

May I know people from small-mid sized firms like me, how much are you getting as NQ?

5.5K is actually quite a bit for NQ outside of big 4. How many lawyers does your firm have?

Unregistered 07-09-2023 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255415)
5.5K is actually quite a bit for NQ outside of big 4. How many lawyers does your firm have?

Ermm its a small sized firm but we have big cases that go up against R&T and A&G. Does it matter though? Like how many lawyers my firm has if its regarding my salary. Would I get more or less if the firm has more lawyers than it currently has now?

Unregistered 07-09-2023 11:38 PM

Quote:

Clifford chance. Going downhill quickly. Disputes team now a joke.

Unregistered 08-09-2023 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255380)

Pathetic salary. I am earning the same amount as you, but I am working only 40 hours a week. As a F2 doctor in the UK. Mind you, I failed Med school 2 times and took 7 years to complete my degree. Also got a low score of BBB for my A levels.

Unregistered 08-09-2023 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255363)
Anyone knows what are the unis of those who got the MC/SC/US sg tcs this year? And whether fch? CC, latham, hsf, sidley, etc.

kcl fch can one

Unregistered 08-09-2023 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255447)
Pathetic salary. I am earning the same amount as you, but I am working only 40 hours a week. As a F2 doctor in the UK. Mind you, I failed Med school 2 times and took 7 years to complete my degree. Also got a low score of BBB for my A levels.

yours is more pathetic. i've not worked a day in my life and my parents give me a 6k monthly allowance. i have 3 mickey mouse degrees from uk and aussie degree mills and i'm now on a phd programme in intersectional gender studies at an oregon liberal arts college

Unregistered 08-09-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255403)
Any firm that can promise partnership after x years is ********. Just look at all the young junior partners in B4 - they're all glorified senior associates. Few of them have their own book, and are just slaving for the equity partners.

In short, this question is a foolish one.

Agreed. B4 JPs are stuck slaving away for the EPs without the opportunities to make their own book but too invested to leave and go elsewhere.

Unregistered 08-09-2023 09:34 AM

Quote:

Just look at billable targets US firms like Jones Day, Sidley etc. 2100hrs. Go to an international with lower hours. Ofc correspondingly lower pay but you'll stay in practice longer and paid at least 20% more than B4.

Unregistered 08-09-2023 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255458)
Just look at billable targets US firms like Jones Day, Sidley etc. 2100hrs. Go to an international with lower hours. Ofc correspondingly lower pay but you'll stay in practice longer and paid at least 20% more than B4.

There are internationals with lower hours than magic circle hours. 1500-1600 is ideal you'll be paid more to work less than B4 hours and treated better.

Unregistered 08-09-2023 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255459)
There are internationals with lower hours than magic circle hours. 1500-1600 is ideal you'll be paid more to work less than B4 hours and treated better.

Which international is that? Please don't rattle off some JLVs FLAs that are just front loading everything and the annual gross is actually lower than B4.

Unregistered 08-09-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255462)
Which international is that? Please don't rattle off some JLVs FLAs that are just front loading everything and the annual gross is actually lower than B4.

Annual gross lower than B4? That's plainly inaccurate. Also compare your B4 hours worked, you're being ripped off.

Unregistered 08-09-2023 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255464)
Annual gross lower than B4? That's plainly inaccurate. Also compare your B4 hours worked, you're being ripped off.

I'm hitting 1800 hours in a big 4...so tired

Unregistered 08-09-2023 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255462)

International sides of some JLVs/FLAs pay close to the UK scale and have 1500-1800 billable hour requirements. You won't be getting Cravath or MC rates but it's definitely more than B4. But of course you need to get hired on the international side, which is the tricky bit

Unregistered 09-09-2023 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255489)
International sides of some JLVs/FLAs pay close to the UK scale and have 1500-1800 billable hour requirements. You won't be getting Cravath or MC rates but it's definitely more than B4. But of course you need to get hired on the international side, which is the tricky bit

Agreed, this is accurate.

Unregistered 09-09-2023 12:24 AM

Quote:

There's a reason why big 4 assocs move to JLV/FLA firms. They really are getting a foothold/presence in Singapore with more cross-border (and therefore higher-paying) work. Many of these firms also are expanding as they have the resources to do so, unlike the big 4 who have eager graduates applying to them each year and who churn in fresh meat with each new batch of grads.

Also, should probably dispell the notion that just because people start off or move into a big 4 that you will automatically be able to lateral into a JLV/FLA firm. While it does help, there's a reason why people stay in big 4 and not jump elsewhere - the threshold to get in is high.

Unregistered 09-09-2023 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255511)
There's a reason why big 4 assocs move to JLV/FLA firms. They really are getting a foothold/presence in Singapore with more cross-border (and therefore higher-paying) work. Many of these firms also are expanding as they have the resources to do so, unlike the big 4 who have eager graduates applying to them each year and who churn in fresh meat with each new batch of grads.

Also, should probably dispell the notion that just because people start off or move into a big 4 that you will automatically be able to lateral into a JLV/FLA firm. While it does help, there's a reason why people stay in big 4 and not jump elsewhere - the threshold to get in is high.

Thanks, this was very informative.

One thing that I’m not sure, and I’m hoping for someone to share is whether it’s worthwhile to stay till SP.

A friend was saying as a 5PQE assoc in big 4 Corp that she’s waiting to hit SP, but she wasn’t keen on sharing whether the international firms are approaching her.

So I was just wondering if they’re not impressed by her, or she’s not looking to move, or probably both?

Unregistered 09-09-2023 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255422)
Ermm its a small sized firm but we have big cases that go up against R&T and A&G. Does it matter though? Like how many lawyers my firm has if its regarding my salary. Would I get more or less if the firm has more lawyers than it currently has now?

Yah of course lol. More lawyers on the payroll would mean that the firm can support more salaries and overheads like your admin staff, the cubicles/rooms, your servers, IT things, etc. you get the point.

And of course with that comes a better reputation. So, where are you looking to go?

Unregistered 09-09-2023 02:50 AM

Changing Training Contracts

Offered a silver circle TC with SG qualification in first year and E and W qualification in the second. Allowance is around 2.5k for the first year and 9k for the E and W phase. Not sure if this will be adjusted come 2026. I am currently holding onto a very good M and A TC at a B4. No news on trainee allowance from the firm yet though the firm is paying 2000 for next year's trainees. Should I switch now or should I sweat it out in my current firm and lateral like all my associates and senior associates?

Unregistered 09-09-2023 02:53 AM

Quote:

Agreed but would also add that even the Sg side of some JLV/FLAs pay more than b4. But caveat is that exit opps are usually better at b4 - like some US firms are full of ex A&G lawyers

Unregistered 09-09-2023 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255525)
Offered a silver circle TC with SG qualification in first year and E and W qualification in the second. Allowance is around 2.5k for the first year and 9k for the E and W phase. Not sure if this will be adjusted come 2026. I am currently holding onto a very good M and A TC at a B4. No news on trainee allowance from the firm yet though the firm is paying 2000 for next year's trainees. Should I switch now or should I sweat it out in my current firm and lateral like all my associates and senior associates?

Lol this is a no brainer, take the silver circle TC. Earning potential is much higher. Plus far easier to lateral from SC than from B4.

Is this Ashurst? The other SC firm which hires trainees in Sg is HSF, which only offers E&W qualification. Unless it's Simmons which is not SC.

Unregistered 09-09-2023 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255527)
Lol this is a no brainer, take the silver circle TC. Earning potential is much higher. Plus far easier to lateral from SC than from B4.

Is this Ashurst? The other SC firm which hires trainees in Sg is HSF, which only offers E&W qualification. Unless it's Simmons which is not SC.

Update: Aside from HSF's annual 1-2(3?) E&W trainee(s), Prolegis is now taking 1 PTC trainee each year.

Unregistered 09-09-2023 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255528)
Update: Aside from HSF's annual 1-2(3?) E&W trainee(s), Prolegis is now taking 1 PTC trainee each year.

Got a friend who did a vac scheme or internship there. The Prolegis TC is apparently part of their 2 or 3yr E&W. Get called to SG bar first then continue as SG lawyer but trainee for E&W purposes. Trainee allowance is very high.

Unregistered 09-09-2023 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255525)

Stay if it’s A&G!

Unregistered 09-09-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255532)
Stay if it’s A&G!

*and if you like pain🤣