Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 18-06-2023 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250146)
Good on you guys, if legit, to try and level the field between the employer and employee market in the SG legal industry.

I think criticisms are natural and to be expected but please don’t be put off by the unmerited bashing that anonymity brings and keep up the good work.

Will you guys be conducting an open survey much like the one that a lawmeme insta did a while back? Or disclosing to some extent where you guys are getting your data from?

Otherwise it’s really just tweaking the UI of the website (web and phone) for me. First would be the words of the page on mobile, which becomes illegible with a white font and white background.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback 😊

We understand the skepticism as we did pop up out of nowhere. However, we are confident that our positive intentions will be made clear with time.

We agree that there is an imbalance between employer and employee dynamics. We hope that creating a centralized platform to source jobs and industry information may help give lawyers some more bargaining power across the board.

Currently, we are being careful to not directly solicit lawyers to breach confidentiality arrangements with their employers. A general survey is something we will definitely consider when we are confident we can gather a large enough sample size like the Instagram page.

For now, we are relying on publicly available information and the kind, voluntary submissions by lawyers to our email at [email protected], with any information or corrections they think will be helpful.

We also believe we have fixed the white font on white background issue as of last week. Please let us know if the issue persists.

Have a good Sunday ✌️ For readers, make sure to check out t.me/sglegaljobs

Unregistered 18-06-2023 02:52 PM

Quote:

Good on you guys, if legit, to try and level the field between the employer and employee market in the SG legal industry.

I think criticisms are natural and to be expected but please don’t be put off by the unmerited bashing that anonymity brings and keep up the good work.

Will you guys be conducting an open survey much like the one that a lawmeme insta did a while back? Or disclosing to some extent where you guys are getting your data from?

Otherwise it’s really just tweaking the UI of the website (web and phone) for me. First would be the words of the page on mobile, which becomes illegible with a white font and white background.

Cheers

We understand the skepticism as we did pop up out of nowhere. However, we are confident that our positive intentions will be made clear with time.

We agree that there is an imbalance between employer and employee dynamics. We hope that creating a centralized platform to source jobs and industry information may help give lawyers some more bargaining power across the board.

Currently, we are being careful to not directly solicit lawyers to breach confidentiality arrangements with their employers. A general survey is something we will definitely consider when we are confident we can gather a large enough sample size like the Instagram page.

For now, we are relying on publicly available information and the kind, voluntary submissions by lawyers to our email at sglegaljobs(at)gmail.com, with any information or corrections they think will be helpful.

We also believe we have fixed the white font on white background issue as of last week. Please let us know if the issue persists.

Unregistered 18-06-2023 02:53 PM

Quote:

Cheers

Currently, we are being careful to not directly solicit lawyers to breach confidentiality arrangements with their employers. A general survey is something we will definitely consider when we are confident we can gather a large enough sample size.

For now, we are relying on publicly available information and the kind, voluntary submissions by lawyers to our email with any information or corrections they think will be helpful.

Unregistered 18-06-2023 08:17 PM

Malaysian law firm still paying NQ RM4k. Haiz

Unregistered 19-06-2023 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250158)

Currently, we are being careful to not directly solicit lawyers to breach confidentiality arrangements with their employers. A general survey is something we will definitely consider when we are confident we can gather a large enough sample size.

For now, we are relying on publicly available information and the kind, voluntary submissions by lawyers to our email with any information or corrections they think will be helpful.

Thanks for this good work. Hopefully, it has the outcome we are all looking for.

Especially for trainees, it is quite unfortunate to see them still making $2000. I think $2500 for one whole year will be absurd.

Firms can afford a thousand for each trainee to bump up across the board. You will know this will really not affect the firm's bottom line.

So it is just a real big F U to those newly entering the industry.

Then they wonder why no one stays around for long. Goodwill and first impressions are a real thing. Humans are reciprocal in nature.

Unregistered 19-06-2023 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250169)
Thanks for this good work. Hopefully, it has the outcome we are all looking for.

Especially for trainees, it is quite unfortunate to see them still making $2000. I think $2500 for one whole year will be absurd.

Firms can afford a thousand for each trainee to bump up across the board. You will know this will really not affect the firm's bottom line.

Then they wonder why no one stays around for long. Goodwill and first impressions are a real thing. Humans are reciprocal in nature.

I don’t disagree with you. But to be honest, even if it is $2.5K for a year, I’m sure most would stay and get the practising certificate. And even if you whine for the whole year, when the money comes in, as a legal executive, and then as an associate, you’ll just stay on. So there’s that.

Unregistered 19-06-2023 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250169)

This whole 1 year extended TC and pseudo-qualification (called to bar but not practising) is almost farcically comical. And agreed that it's a big F U to newly graduated aspirants to the legal profession. Throwing them to the mercies of the market, which we know will take every opportunity to squeeze every drop of blood from their trainees whom they view as mere units of labour.

Anyone who thinks this will be effectual in raising some nebulous conception of standards is exactly someone who I'd expect had ridden the gravy train in decades past.

Unregistered 19-06-2023 09:55 PM

irony

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250203)
This whole 1 year extended TC and pseudo-qualification (called to bar but not practising) is almost farcically comical. And agreed that it's a big F U to newly graduated aspirants to the legal profession. Throwing them to the mercies of the market, which we know will take every opportunity to squeeze every drop of blood from their trainees whom they view as mere units of labour.

Anyone who thinks this will be effectual in raising some nebulous conception of standards is exactly someone who I'd expect had ridden the gravy train in decades past.

It's funny how the SG legal profession regulators are trying to be more like the UK - by extending the TC period to 1 year (1.5 years for overseas grads) and implementing a rotation system

While the UK regulators are implementing the QWE system, thereby removing the need for the traditiknal rotation-based TC (paralegal experience counts toward the QWE 2 year-period now)

Oh the irony

Unregistered 20-06-2023 12:00 AM

anyone knows how much is rajah and tann trainees' sign on bonus and whether laterals are entitled to this bonus?

Unregistered 20-06-2023 12:06 AM

To the group working on the sglegaljobs website, just want to let yall know that you guys are doing an amazing job and the industry really needs it. It's understandable that you guys are keeping your affiliations secret considering the taboo-like nature of salary in the sg legal industry and (maybe) risk of reprisal.

A centralised platform for salary information helps balance the gap between employees and employers. There're things like Blind and levels.fyi for tech, and the UK and US legal industries also disclose this information more openly. GJ and hope yalls can continue expanding it.

Unregistered 20-06-2023 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250215)
anyone knows how much is rajah and tann trainees' sign on bonus and whether laterals are entitled to this bonus?

Similar qn, wondering for lateral NQs, will the firm usually also reimburse part b and call papers if stay on?

Unregistered 20-06-2023 09:46 PM

What’s more important
To be seen as smart, or to be seen as a high earner?

I’m asking this because in law Sch, the smart kids are always venerated
But when we head to practice, it’s always about who made partner first or who got poached by international firms first - and the thing is, these may not necessarily be the FCH folks

So how?

Unregistered 20-06-2023 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250249)
What’s more important

But when we head to practice, it’s always about who made partner first or who got poached by international firms first - and the thing is, these may not necessarily be the FCH folks

So how?

What a dumb question. Are you suggesting that being smart and being a high earner are mutually exclusive?

There are plenty of FCH folks who make partner earlier or get poached by international firms. But of course having a FCH is not the only predictor of how smart you are or successful you will be.

Unregistered 21-06-2023 12:05 AM

Quote:

What’s more important

So how?

Who gives a ****? Only insecure people say this ****.

Unregistered 21-06-2023 08:46 AM

Quote:

What’s more important

So how?

It really depends on your ability in practice. You can score well in exams but doesn’t mean you can solve the client’s problems.

Unregistered 21-06-2023 09:58 AM

Quote:

What’s more important

So how?

In the uniquely Singapore system, getting good grades and FCH doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re smart tbh. more often than not from the ones I’ve interacted with they aren’t smart. They are just hardworking, kiasu and can memorise stuff well and regurgitate it well in the exam. Throw in one thing that they haven’t seen before suddenly brain stuck cannot think.

Which is why go out practice and meet clients all cmi.

Unregistered 21-06-2023 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250265)
In the uniquely Singapore system, getting good grades and FCH doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re smart tbh. more often than not from the ones I’ve interacted with they aren’t smart. They are just hardworking, kiasu and can memorise stuff well and regurgitate it well in the exam. Throw in one thing that they haven’t seen before suddenly brain stuck cannot think.

Which is why go out practice and meet clients all cmi.

Rising up in the ranks and being a good rainmaker is a matter of personality, and luck. On the latter, having the luck of closely working with or being mentored by a good client-savvy rainmaking partner as a role model helps in that you can emulate his/her client-servicing and rainmaking skills.

If you're a mere big firm cog in the wheel and you work closely with those high IQ autism-spectrum perfectionist type junior partners who know how to produce perfect work product but can't connect or talk to clients, then good luck. All you'll pick up are good technical skills and aut istic obsession to perfection, but zilch rainmaking skills. Find another mentor ASAP.

Clients want to feel serviced. They don't care that your work product is perfect. They wouldn't even be able to tell what is and is not perfect.

Unregistered 21-06-2023 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250253)
What a dumb question. Are you suggesting that being smart and being a high earner are mutually exclusive?

There are plenty of FCH folks who make partner earlier or get poached by international firms. But of course having a FCH is not the only predictor of how smart you are or successful you will be.

I’m afraid you have missed my point entirely - so it would do you well to skip out answering this question altogether; hope that others can continue to chime in with more useful anecdotes

This is my point exactly. For those who are smart and high earners, that’s great. But what I meant was, if some are so smart, why aren’t they earning that much? One of the above posters shared that this could be because some partners are good at technical skills but poor at bookmarking - thanks for that great answer

Unregistered 21-06-2023 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250203)

Nobody honestly believes it was to raise standards. The purpose was reducing the supply of lawyers given the influx of lawyers the past few years from less than reputable overseas universities. Unfortunately, because of SG's FTA with aussie, they can't just do the obvious thing and ban shittier aussie schools (like they did with the shittier UK schools a few years back).

Unregistered 21-06-2023 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250298)
Nobody honestly believes it was to raise standards. The purpose was reducing the supply of lawyers given the influx of lawyers the past few years from less than reputable overseas universities. Unfortunately, because of SG's FTA with aussie, they can't just do the obvious thing and ban shittier aussie schools (like they did with the shittier UK schools a few years back).

agree that the restructuring was probably to increase barriers of entry, and we do have quite a protectionist law society/community, but hey don't **** on people from those unis man

Unregistered 21-06-2023 09:36 PM

Can anybody share how working in the corporate side of Quahe Woo and Palmer is like?

Unregistered 21-06-2023 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250306)
agree that the restructuring was probably to increase barriers of entry, and we do have quite a protectionist law society/community, but hey don't **** on people from those unis man

agreed. this whole ****ting on other law schs is quite tiresome. frankly practising law isn't a job that requires great academic ability, albeit at the high end the brightest are really bright. the average lawyer does not require some outstanding legal acumen, merely paper pushing or project management skills.

England & Wales has the right system IMO. Non-law grads can take the GDL conversion course to become solicitors. Heck, apprentices meaning kids who don't even go to uni, can take solicitor apprenticeships to qualify nowadays. Even Magic Circles are running solicitor apprenticeships.

You don't need to have attended some rarefied law school to become a lawyer. Let's stop with this self-aggrandizing illusion tt you need to be super bright or smart to be a lawyer.

SG should follow England's progressive example of allowing A Level grads to qualify as advocates & solicitors thru apprenticeships too.

Unregistered 21-06-2023 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250323)
agreed. this whole ****ting on other law schs is quite tiresome. frankly practising law isn't a job that requires great academic ability, albeit at the high end the brightest are really bright. the average lawyer does not require some outstanding legal acumen, merely paper pushing or project management skills.

England & Wales has the right system IMO. Non-law grads can take the GDL conversion course to become solicitors. Heck, apprentices meaning kids who don't even go to uni, can take solicitor apprenticeships to qualify nowadays. Even Magic Circles are running solicitor apprenticeships.

You don't need to have attended some rarefied law school to become a lawyer. Let's stop with this self-aggrandizing illusion tt you need to be super bright or smart to be a lawyer.

SG should follow England's progressive example of allowing A Level grads to qualify as advocates & solicitors thru apprenticeships too.

Agree with you, but I thought that’s why we created a third local law school for those looking to serve in family / community law?

Unregistered 22-06-2023 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250323)

Agreed, as a case example, the managing partner and top-ranked lawyer at one of the international
law firms in Marina One is from the University of Hull?? and
he's a Singaporean

anyone of these forum members going to say he's **** because he's from a "low-ranked uni"?

no one gives a ****, only that you do your job well and bring in money

Unregistered 22-06-2023 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250332)
Agreed, as a case example, the managing partner and top-ranked lawyer at one of the international
law firms in Marina One is from the University of Hull?? and
he's a Singaporean

anyone of these forum members going to say he's **** because he's from a "low-ranked uni"?

no one gives a ****, only that you do your job well and bring in money

There’s no issue with that, we have been through this - lower ranking unis can produce excellent, legendary lawyers. But at the recruitment stage, in choosing a trainee or a first year associate, surely the HR would choose the candidate with better results from a better University. So if one is culled at the application stage, then that’s it.

Unregistered 22-06-2023 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250365)
There’s no issue with that, we have been through this - lower ranking unis can produce excellent, legendary lawyers. But at the recruitment stage, in choosing a trainee or a first year associate, surely the HR would choose the candidate with better results from a better University. So if one is culled at the application stage, then that’s it.

not true
10char

Unregistered 22-06-2023 09:59 PM

Jumping ship

Hi all

Currently a 3PQE assoc (2020 called) in a small practice (non chinatown) doing corp and liti matters (very general, chapalang stuff, not high street, not that high value). I'd say I've become a general practitioner. Not SA, but basically given some SA responsibilities.

Salary slightly below 7k which I know is below average, below market. Juniors aren't paid well. Bonus is paltry. However, the push pull factors are equally balanced.

I have spent >1 year with current firm and am feeling jaded career development wise. Contentious and non contentious Workflow is inconsistent and I feel that I am taking on numerous hats. Even doing the seccie stuff as well.

However, management and I have started to have rifts of late. Support staff don't really give support and I find myself getting overrun by them.

I am planning of jumping ship later this year or early next before PC renewal. What salary should I start asking for? Am looking to do Corp exclusively.

As for prospects, which would be better Corp practices to jump to? I have never been in large firms before. Would it be better to leave before I make SA at current firm. I am expecting SA probably next year.

Unregistered 23-06-2023 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250401)
Hi all

Currently a 3PQE assoc (2020 called) in a small practice (non chinatown) doing corp and liti matters (very general, chapalang stuff, not high street, not that high value). I'd say I've become a general practitioner. Not SA, but basically given some SA responsibilities.

Salary slightly below 7k which I know is below average, below market. Juniors aren't paid well. Bonus is paltry. However, the push pull factors are equally balanced.

I have spent >1 year with current firm and am feeling jaded career development wise. Contentious and non contentious Workflow is inconsistent and I feel that I am taking on numerous hats. Even doing the seccie stuff as well.

However, management and I have started to have rifts of late. Support staff don't really give support and I find myself getting overrun by them.

I am planning of jumping ship later this year or early next before PC renewal. What salary should I start asking for? Am looking to do Corp exclusively.

As for prospects, which would be better Corp practices to jump to? I have never been in large firms before. Would it be better to leave before I make SA at current firm. I am expecting SA probably next year.

Maybe try TSMP before jumping to the B4? The former does cutting edge wall street work

Unregistered 23-06-2023 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250457)
Maybe try TSMP before jumping to the B4? The former does cutting edge wall street work

are boutique corp firms hiring?

Unregistered 23-06-2023 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250401)
Hi all

Your situation seems pretty tough. Any (good) reason why you stayed for so long?

Unregistered 23-06-2023 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250467)
are boutique corp firms hiring?

Are you on LinkedIn? There are q a number of firms hiring - big and small firms

Recruiters also reaching out furiously

Unregistered 24-06-2023 12:29 PM

TC retention

how's the retention rates looking like this round?

Unregistered 24-06-2023 11:42 PM

Han Kun law hiring?

Unregistered 25-06-2023 06:35 AM

Hello, law student here. I am interested in litigation, and was wondering how do Chambers-Model firms in Singapore operate? Will it be beneficial to get a TC there or should I stick with B4 for training?

Unregistered 25-06-2023 07:22 PM

Why would people lie about their call dates? Don’t they know that info is available to the public? Actually I guess they wouldn’t cos they are dumb enough to lie about their call dates.

Can’t wait to expose them the next time this topic comes up in conversation

ivantee 26-06-2023 10:38 AM

Flinder University Australia online JD

Hi Seniors,

Just to check the Flinder Uni Aus ( JD ) is 100% online,
is this recognised now in Singapore

Thanks

Unregistered 26-06-2023 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivantee (Post 250601)
Hi Seniors,

Thanks

Aussie law schools are degree mills. Waste of money. Many grads end up as grab drivers etc

Unregistered 26-06-2023 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivantee (Post 250601)
Hi Seniors,

Thanks

Yes it is, just check the SILE list of approved unis

Unregistered 26-06-2023 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250608)
Aussie law schools are degree mills. Waste of money. Many grads end up as grab drivers etc

also, just ignore this guy, if you do well there and get good extracurriculars and work experience, you'll do well

all the best!

Unregistered 26-06-2023 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250620)
Yes it is, just check the SILE list of approved unis

Just re-read your post and you mentioned it's 100% online

You will definitely need to apply for an exemption with Minlaw and they might require you to obtain a Remote Online Learning Document from your uni

to which your Academic Chair/Dean will need explain why they are doing their course online.