Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 15-05-2022 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217894)
It refers to boomer GEOs who have hit their salary ceiling, hence they are able to just fulfill the standard roles of T&L (whether it is of quality or not is another story) and other minor roles in school. Without any possible increment, most will not be inclined to do more.

This enables them to tai ji all new and major responsibilities to the lower grades, who are more referred to as SOT (the S simply being the opposite of H), a term recently coined in the discussions here. This persuasion gives SOTs hope for promotion or progression, which may or may not materialise.

Ironically, this phenomenon has resulted in more and more HOTs staying put in the system and the lower grade SOTs leaving the system completely i.e. resigning - a continuous vicious cycle everywhere right now. But upon leaving, most SOTs revert from S to H again. Many of my friends belong to the latter, and I am genuinely happy for them :)

ic. sounds crap.

Unregistered 18-05-2022 09:39 PM

Some questions on PGDE

Hi, I am graduating from a local university (non-scholar) in June 2022 with honours and have applied for PGDE. I am male and have completed full-time NS. I recently received a possible contract teaching appointment as GEO 2 (untrained) from MOE. Below are two questions I have regarding the contract:

1) For the case of final year students, is the salary indicated in the contract offered before considering the appointee's class of honours? If so, what are the increments (if any) for the different classes of honours?

2) Is it correct to assume that for the salary offered, serving full-time NS has already been taken into account?

TIA!

Unregistered 19-05-2022 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218207)
Hi, I am graduating from a local university (non-scholar) in June 2022 with honours and have applied for PGDE. I am male and have completed full-time NS. I recently received a possible contract teaching appointment as GEO 2 (untrained) from MOE. Below are two questions I have regarding the contract:

1) For the case of final year students, is the salary indicated in the contract offered before considering the appointee's class of honours? If so, what are the increments (if any) for the different classes of honours?

2) Is it correct to assume that for the salary offered, serving full-time NS has already been taken into account?

TIA!

Yes it takes into account honours class. The difference between 2nd upper and 1st is about half a salary step, so about 150-200 (pre-covid numbers). Masters degree holders start at the same level as 1st class honours grads.

Yes, full-time NS has already been taken into account.

Yes, it's really pathetic and lagging far behind their self-proclaimed private sector benchmarks as they have not done a salary revision since 2015 (when it used to be every few years). Really not the best place if you are concerned about your earning power being properly commensurate with your qualifications and experience. You need to have passion(TM) to stay in it.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 10:38 AM

saturday

Just wondering what is the stand on working on Saturdays as a teacher.

Should we be given off in lieu if we need to work on saturdays given that it is now officially a 5 day work week?

Unregistered 19-05-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218255)

Should we be given off in lieu if we need to work on saturdays given that it is now officially a 5 day work week?

I don't think you will find anyone who says that they disagree in principle.

But in practice, how are you going to give teachers off-in-lieu? Cancel lessons for the day?

Unregistered 19-05-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218255)

Off in lieu not feasible or possible, but perhaps pro-rated salary / OT would be appreciated if a teacher has to be called back on saturdays for official duties.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218248)
Yes it takes into account honours class. The difference between 2nd upper and 1st is about half a salary step, so about 150-200 (pre-covid numbers). Masters degree holders start at the same level as 1st class honours grads.

Yes, full-time NS has already been taken into account.

Yes, it's really pathetic and lagging far behind their self-proclaimed private sector benchmarks as they have not done a salary revision since 2015 (when it used to be every few years). Really not the best place if you are concerned about your earning power being properly commensurate with your qualifications and experience. You need to have passion(TM) to stay in it.

Nah. First class and 2nd upper now command same starting salary. Source:from 2019 batch of pdge.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218262)
Off in lieu not feasible or possible, but perhaps pro-rated salary / OT would be appreciated if a teacher has to be called back on saturdays for official duties.

They will say PMET got OT but no such thing as OT pay.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218273)
Nah. First class and 2nd upper now command same starting salary. Source:from 2019 batch of pdge.

I'm curious, for them to be the same...was the amount for 1st class lowered?

Or was the amount for 2nd upper raised?

Unregistered 19-05-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218273)

I could be mistaken, but I thought this was the case even a decade earlier…