Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-05-2022 12:05 AM

NIE DipEd Classification

Am starting DipEd soon. Was wondering if the diploma classification (Distinction, merit, etc) has any impact on anything at all. Perhaps, it is just a token description of how well you've done? Just asking out of curiosity. #inconsequentialquestions

Unregistered 20-05-2022 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218310)
I could be mistaken, but I thought this was the case even a decade earlier…

For PGDE 2016, there was still a salary step between 1st/Masters and 2nd upper, as well as between 2nd lower and third/non-honours.

(My batch.)

Unregistered 20-05-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218207)
Hi, I am graduating from a local university (non-scholar) in June 2022 with honours and have applied for PGDE. I am male and have completed full-time NS. I recently received a possible contract teaching appointment as GEO 2 (untrained) from MOE. Below are two questions I have regarding the contract:

1) For the case of final year students, is the salary indicated in the contract offered before considering the appointee's class of honours? If so, what are the increments (if any) for the different classes of honours?

2) Is it correct to assume that for the salary offered, serving full-time NS has already been taken into account?

TIA!

The initial amount offered may not account for your honours until you start contract teaching in Term 3 (assuming you start UT then) where they will revise your salary and account for it from experience. Second and first class honours should be the same pay these days as per my batch.

Unregistered 20-05-2022 06:27 PM

I heard trainee teachers enrolling into NIE under PGDE have to sit for an entrance test if their curriculum studies include Math. How accurate is this as of 2022 and what other subjects have such tests?

Unregistered 21-05-2022 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218426)
I heard trainee teachers enrolling into NIE under PGDE have to sit for an entrance test if their curriculum studies include Math. How accurate is this as of 2022 and what other subjects have such tests?

For math, there is a test to assess a pre-service teacher's mathematical knowledge and understanding and one has to pass it in 3 tries to be able to teach mathematics

History has a content upgrading exemption test while other subjects have no entrance test but will assign content upgrading modules during the start of the first PGDE Semester if the person is deemed to have insufficient content knowledge from undergrad studies

Unregistered 25-05-2022 06:57 PM

Anyone heard news about mid year bonus?

Unregistered 25-05-2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219102)
Anyone heard news about mid year bonus?

It's only May, wtf are you smoking? It's going to be announced in June and paid in July.

Unregistered 26-05-2022 05:32 PM

Anyone has seconded to other ministries or places before? Can share?

Unregistered 26-05-2022 10:04 PM

SUSS Part-time vs Crossover

Am wondering if anyone knew the difference between choosing to crossover from DipEd to do BSC in NIE/NTU vs taking a part time degree in SUSS. Would they be recognised differently? Any advice for someone who has to make this decision?

Unregistered 27-05-2022 06:48 PM

Has anyone here been made to pay if u drop a laptop and has a small dent at the corner?