Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 06-09-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229684)
Still no news on exactly how % increment diff grades are getting?

Would it be the same as 2015?

Unregistered 06-09-2022 12:11 PM

Is it worth it to go for SEO1 in leadership track? My RO asked me to think about whether I want to go for leadership or teaching track.

But I feel that SH is like being a sergeant in the army. You have a bit of power but you get pushed around by the people above you and have to herd the people under you.

It seems like if you want to go on leadership track, HOD is the least that we should aim for.

Unregistered 06-09-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229765)
Is it worth it to go for SEO1 in leadership track? My RO asked me to think about whether I want to go for leadership or teaching track.

But I feel that SH is like being a sergeant in the army. You have a bit of power but you get pushed around by the people above you and have to herd the people under you.

It seems like if you want to go on leadership track, HOD is the least that we should aim for.

Yup, but you can’t jump from a teacher to HOD. But with the new GEO5A grade, maybe don’t need to aim for SEO1. Less work but pay is quite similar/comfortable.

Unregistered 06-09-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229767)
Yup, but you can’t jump from a teacher to HOD. But with the new GEO5A grade, maybe don’t need to aim for SEO1. Less work but pay is quite similar/comfortable.

Yeah I mean, I'm concerned that if I become SH, that might be my ceiling. Cannot go to HOD. If that's the case then maybe being at GEO5 or this new GEO5A thing might be better. The difference between GEO5 and SEO1 isn't that much anyway.

Unregistered 06-09-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229768)
Yeah I mean, I'm concerned that if I become SH, that might be my ceiling. Cannot go to HOD. If that's the case then maybe being at GEO5 or this new GEO5A thing might be better. The difference between GEO5 and SEO1 isn't that much anyway.

If you are already a GEO5, then I think GEO5A makes sense. I think SH only suitable for these GEO4 officers who want a stepping stone to promote fast.

Unregistered 06-09-2022 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229769)
If you are already a GEO5, then I think GEO5A makes sense. I think SH only suitable for these GEO4 officers who want a stepping stone to promote fast.

Is it stressful being a SH or HOD? Or is it better to be a HOT? Which has greater workload?

Unregistered 06-09-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229765)

Questions:
1. How many years have you been in the service?
2. How have your pb over the years been?

It could be a passing remark or a genuine case of seeing the potential in you to take on leadership role, be it in the teaching or leadership track. SH, ST, teachers, they all come under the hod. If the head is good, good. Else, it doesn’t make much of a difference.

To me, I will gladly take on SH position. It is a mean to shut the mouths of other KPs, especially during ranking since you will not be brought up for discussion. When you are just a HOT, many things, good or bad, go on behind the closed door. At the same time, you are likely to get a better pb. However, be prepared to take on more responsibilities too, including being an RO. Not everyone likes that.

i would say that not SH can attain hod position, you do see many career SHs. Of course, it is important to work towards that still. Stressful or not it depends on individuals. The responsibilities is definitely greater being a hod, as you oversee departments and often are required to take on roles such as presiding examiner for National examinations or lead committees in planning for school events.

Unregistered 07-09-2022 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229780)
Is it stressful being a SH or HOD? Or is it better to be a HOT? Which has greater workload?

If you are a geo5 with a salary of 7+k, I think being HOT is better. Lesser ppl to answer to.

Unregistered 07-09-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229815)
If you are a geo5 with a salary of 7+k, I think being HOT is better. Lesser ppl to answer to.

But if you are still drawing 5+k as a GEO4, sitting on a SH/HOD position for a while will push you up to GEO5 much faster. When you reach a decent salary point, like 6.5k++, or when you hit SEO1, you can step down (and go back to GEO5) and enjoy your decent salary as a HOT.

Unregistered 07-09-2022 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229842)
But if you are still drawing 5+k as a GEO4, sitting on a SH/HOD position for a while will push you up to GEO5 much faster. When you reach a decent salary point, like 6.5k++, or when you hit SEO1, you can step down (and go back to GEO5) and enjoy your decent salary as a HOT.

Yup, so if you are a GEO4, can take up SH. But make sure it’s official appointment and not internal. I always think internal appointment are not worth it. Official appointment at least got responsibility allowance. If you are already GEO5 hitting ceiling, then no point.