Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 21-03-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115240)
nope. from what i know is that you manage a bunch of contractors who perform infra jobs on SAF buildings. basically you make sure they do their job according to contract and pay them correctly.

Agree. Managers tend to be very administrative. Just don't be like Smrt, signing off without any checks until contractor take money for free. If you don't want to "get dirty" make sure they take pictures for you. you must know the standard required to be pass. you are the manager, and you are accountable.

Unregistered 22-03-2019 07:38 AM

Facilities Manager DXO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115241)
Agree. Managers tend to be very administrative. Just don't be like Smrt, signing off without any checks until contractor take money for free. If you don't want to "get dirty" make sure they take pictures for you. you must know the standard required to be pass. you are the manager, and you are accountable.

Hi both,

Thank you so much for the information! I was still wondering am I supposed to be climbing buildings/going down drains for checks. XD

Unregistered 22-03-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115291)
Hi both,

Thank you so much for the information! I was still wondering am I supposed to be climbing buildings/going down drains for checks. XD

You are welcome. FM role tends to be reserved for military incik that need a job outside SAF when they reach retirement. If you don't fall into this category don't have too high hopes that you will be shortlisted. A comfortable job to thank this category of people for their service to the nation. If it is demanding, your boss will inform you at the interview of the nuances.

Unregistered 22-03-2019 06:43 PM

Facilities Manager DXO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115295)
You are welcome. FM role tends to be reserved for military incik that need a job outside SAF when they reach retirement. If you don't fall into this category don't have too high hopes that you will be shortlisted. A comfortable job to thank this category of people for their service to the nation. If it is demanding, your boss will inform you at the interview of the nuances.

Thanks for sharing. Sadly I am not a military incik hahah.. just a young adult who have 2 years of work experience. Wonder why I was still shortlisted for an interview...Guess I will not bear high hopes!

Unregistered 22-03-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115316)
Thanks for sharing. Sadly I am not a military incik hahah.. just a young adult who have 2 years of work experience. Wonder why I was still shortlisted for an interview...Guess I will not bear high hopes!

Still, do your best buddy. The SAF likes you for some particular reason. They usually shortlist no more than 4 people per position because the commanders themselves are very busy. If you need the job prepare for it. Plenty of tips in the thread.

Unregistered 23-03-2019 11:04 AM

Facilities Manager DXO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115319)
Still, do your best buddy. The SAF likes you for some particular reason. They usually shortlist no more than 4 people per position because the commanders themselves are very busy. If you need the job prepare for it. Plenty of tips in the thread.

Hey bud thanks alot for the encouragement man! Yes I do agree this thread has been so informative so far. All the best in whatever you're doing as well! Cheers.

Unregistered 23-03-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115319)

I agree. HR called me a few days after PT to enquiry if I am willing to lower my expected salary. She said that my profile is highly favorable. Apparently they can only call a certain number of candidates to meet commanders. In my heart I was thinking, they called me just to clock numbers, to prove they have tried their best to offer adequate alternatives.

Turned out that on the day of interview, they invited 4 candidates, one from each age bracket. 20s 30s 40s 50s. I am 30s. Since I felt that I was there to clock numbers for SAF, no loss right... So I did myself justice by executing my customised self intro, then at an appropriate moment I politely asked the commander, why they called me when this position is usually for XXXX type of profile. Afterall I had nothing to lose.

Apparently my commander don't want a person ex or current military just to throw a spanner into the dept due to some master plan I cannot share here. HR also assured me that all candidates had equal opportunity.

Today I am praying for clearance to Pass (very soon).

If you like what they wrote on the website, and you are serious about serving the public and take home an okay salary, do your best bud, dont let the idea of "Encik job" sway your confidence.

Unregistered 23-03-2019 04:59 PM

Mindef DXO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115329)
I agree. HR called me a few days after PT to enquiry if I am willing to lower my expected salary. She said that my profile is highly favorable. Apparently they can only call a certain number of candidates to meet commanders. In my heart I was thinking, they called me just to clock numbers, to prove they have tried their best to offer adequate alternatives.

Turned out that on the day of interview, they invited 4 candidates, one from each age bracket. 20s 30s 40s 50s. I am 30s. Since I felt that I was there to clock numbers for SAF, no loss right... So I did myself justice by executing my customised self intro, then at an appropriate moment I politely asked the commander, why they called me when this position is usually for XXXX type of profile. Afterall I had nothing to lose.

Apparently my commander don't want a person ex or current military just to throw a spanner into the dept due to some master plan I cannot share here. HR also assured me that all candidates had equal opportunity.

Today I am praying for clearance to Pass (very soon).

If you like what they wrote on the website, and you are serious about serving the public and take home an okay salary, do your best bud, dont let the idea of "Encik job" sway your confidence.

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. All the best to you! Just wondering possible to nego salary w them? I know they have some kind of range base on class of honours.

Unregistered 25-03-2019 07:33 AM

Pay Range DXO

Hi all! Since this thread seems alive I would like to take the chance to ask about pay range. How high a range can I quote if I only have second lower honours degree from a local university without NS experience.

Thank you all in advance!

Ambition 25-03-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115385)
Hi all! Since this thread seems alive I would like to take the chance to ask about pay range. How high a range can I quote if I only have second lower honours degree from a local university without NS experience.

Thank you all in advance!

Better to have quality replies rather thrash talk such as EDMW. Most of the salary questions are already answered actually. Try keywords such as FCH, Fresh Graduate, etc. Plus minus 100 bucks since gahmen is based on formula. You may search thru Google too.

Anyway...
Each level of honours adds about 100 bucks. NS adds about 200 bucks. Universities have many tier, private, national, foreign, distance learning in SG. Plain vanilla pass from Private uni is 2.6k. Finance dept and cybersecurity and policy dept all pays differently.

If you are comparing purely Salary, private vs public, and aiming for the highest, then based on your qualification don't bother with gahmen. The difference can be $500 or more. Best paid candidates would be our 7 recognized universities.

Hope this helps.

Wkeong70 25-03-2019 10:14 PM

Manager Orientation

Dear all,
Just wondering if anyone got a reply from HR about the manager orientation position yet? I took PT mid February
I wrote to HR and they said still processing...

Thanks in advance !!

Ambition 25-03-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wkeong70 (Post 115440)
Dear all,
Just wondering if anyone got a reply from HR about the manager orientation position yet? I took PT mid February
I wrote to HR and they said still processing...

Thanks in advance !!

As long no news, it's good news. FYI my position took almost 3 months to call for interview.

If you are panicking because you have another offer, high chance you will take the other one, then resign 3-6 months later if indeed mindef is more suitable and finally invites you to sign.

Wkeong70 26-03-2019 07:56 AM

Manager orientation

Thanks for the reply!
That is good advice 😂

Unregistered 26-03-2019 04:09 PM

Is medical really going to void my chances?

Hello

There are several components for a DXO to be successfully hired. Medical pass, Clearance pass and interview pass and salary approved.

HR informed me that all passed, medical is not pass yet. However the contract can be prepared for me to sign. HR suggested that rarely medical fail but just in case, the contract is void if eventually medical Failed.

I always thought that signing means that the job is mine? Can/should I "safeguard" my interest by signing? In my previous employment with a ministry, medical was also done at leisure after signing, more for the group insurance policy than anything else. However, later they removed the group policy and instead credit money for us to buy own health insurance so, health checkup becomes protocol than necessity.

DXO have group health insurance that hinges on the medical checkup?

Opinion, anyone? I want this job.

Unregistered 27-03-2019 08:21 AM

How Long does it take to be called for PT

I would like enquire how Long does it take for me to receive an email to be called for a PT? Will I be considered as I will graduate in 2 months time or do I have to wait till I have officially graduated in order to apply?

Unregistered 27-03-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115530)
I would like enquire how Long does it take for me to receive an email to be called for a PT? Will I be considered as I will graduate in 2 months time or do I have to wait till I have officially graduated in order to apply?

Just apply.
Your peers may have queue up since the start of the semester. Have a look at the other replies, people queued for 6 months to sign. Consider peeking into the thread 'jobless for a long time' see how cold hiring is now. All your worries actually, it's not your control, it's the employers decision. No matter which organization, it is the same.
PT invitation is computer generated. Either invited / failed. Sure receive something. Patience.

Unregistered 27-03-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115503)
Hello

There are several components for a DXO to be successfully hired. Medical pass, Clearance pass and interview pass and salary approved.

HR informed me that all passed, medical is not pass yet. However the contract can be prepared for me to sign. HR suggested that rarely medical fail but just in case, the contract is void if eventually medical Failed.

I always thought that signing means that the job is mine? Can/should I "safeguard" my interest by signing? In my previous employment with a ministry, medical was also done at leisure after signing, more for the group insurance policy than anything else. However, later they removed the group policy and instead credit money for us to buy own health insurance so, health checkup becomes protocol than necessity.

DXO have group health insurance that hinges on the medical checkup?

Opinion, anyone? I want this job.

Not a dxo, but hearsay, medical checkup is important for uniform. Signed contract still can rescind if not fit. DXO actually just go through the motion as protocol. Hopefully you get some solid advice.

Unregistered 28-03-2019 07:11 AM

Re:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115532)
Just apply.
Your peers may have queue up since the start of the semester. Have a look at the other replies, people queued for 6 months to sign. Consider peeking into the thread 'jobless for a long time' see how cold hiring is now. All your worries actually, it's not your control, it's the employers decision. No matter which organization, it is the same.
PT invitation is computer generated. Either invited / failed. Sure receive something. Patience.

Then how does it take for the computer to generate the PT invitation?

Unregistered 28-03-2019 08:33 AM

Hi, any idea how long would it take from day of unit preview to knowing outcome? Had my unit preview on last Fri. Thanks

Unregistered 28-03-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115572)
Hi, any idea how long would it take from day of unit preview to knowing outcome? Had my unit preview on last Fri. Thanks

My congratulatory call came in under 2 weeks. I am quite sure I am the top choice of two. If you are not the top choice, be patient. the top choice may not accept.

Clearance takes 4-6 weeks if that's your next qn. I am in my 4th week of waiting.

What did u apply for buddy?

Unregistered 28-03-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115569)
Then how does it take for the computer to generate the PT invitation?

Rejection came fast for me, like 3 working days. This existing role I am praying for, the invitation came in roughly a week. I think straightforward rejection is software generated, invitation requires HR intervention.

Unregistered 28-03-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115578)
Rejection came fast for me, like 3 working days. This existing role I am praying for, the invitation came in roughly a week. I think straightforward rejection is software generated, invitation requires HR intervention.

Oh, so when did you applied?

Unregistered 28-03-2019 06:58 PM

DXO hiring procedure

Hi all,

I would like to check after the site preview, I believed if you get an offer you will have to go for medical check up. Can I ask those who know if the medical check ups can be done on a weekend? Been taking too much leaves just for this job application itself.... 😪

Second question: How open is their HR in pay negotiation?

Appreciate all responses!

Unregistered 28-03-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115588)
Oh, so when did you applied?

HI, same person.
From the moment I submit through the dxo portal it's been about 5 months. Too lazy to check, I remember I submit before end of school holidays then all the commanders on leave wait till cows come home. I'm quite lucky/unlucky depends on how you see it. My hiring dept was caught in leadership transition, but the crazy wait means the if I can wait higher chance I get the position despite my profile being not so stellar. Someone else earlier in the thread suggested 1 year wait.

Unregistered 28-03-2019 07:59 PM

Share my experience

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115593)
Hi all,

I would like to check after the site preview, I believed if you get an offer you will have to go for medical check up. Can I ask those who know if the medical check ups can be done on a weekend? Been taking too much leaves just for this job application itself.... 😪

Second question: How open is their HR in pay negotiation?

Appreciate all responses!

Medical Mon to Fri only. Take time off bah, it should not take more than 2 hours. If u take 'extended lunch' and taxi there, maybe don't even need to take leave. It's at CMPB. Actually one psychometric, one interview, reasonable.. Yours is special case more than twice? All the interviews I been to no less than two stage. Job market is super competitive.

Not much room for negotiation, very much based on a confidential formula. When HR tells you the estimated salary, you decide how much you want to risk squeezing/frustrating HR if you have lots of chips to gamble with. No chips then don't gamble.

Hope this helps.

Unregistered 28-03-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115594)
HI, same person.
From the moment I submit through the dxo portal it's been about 5 months. Too lazy to check, I remember I submit before end of school holidays then all the commanders on leave wait till cows come home. I'm quite lucky/unlucky depends on how you see it. My hiring dept was caught in leadership transition, but the crazy wait means the if I can wait higher chance I get the position despite my profile being not so stellar. Someone else earlier in the thread suggested 1 year wait.

5months for the PT? Cause like once you applied through portal you will receive an email stating that if you don’t hear from us within 2 weeks, you may take it that you have failed. So this statement isn’t entirely true?

Unregistered 29-03-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115596)
5months for the PT? Cause like once you applied through portal you will receive an email stating that if you don’t hear from us within 2 weeks, you may take it that you have failed. So this statement isn’t entirely true?

----- day 0
DXO portal submission (roughly Nov)
PT invitation (roughly 1 week)
PT test ( roughly 1 week)
Interview (very long)
Medical (very long)
------ I am here now, 5 months
Signing contract

When I sign I will dig out dates as a form of giving back to this community. For now still a bit superstitious/pangtang/uneasy.

Ya that statement needs to be updated. Pass or fail sure receive something.

Unregistered 29-03-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115623)
----- day 0
Interview (very long)
Medical (very long)
Signing contract

When I sign I will dig out dates as a form of giving back to this community. For now still a bit superstitious/pangtang/uneasy.

Thanks for the clarifications. So PT is quite straight forward and fast. Either you get it else nothing. It’s the procedures that takes a Long time to process.

Unregistered 29-03-2019 07:31 PM

Mindef DXO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115595)
Medical Mon to Fri only. Take time off bah, it should not take more than 2 hours. If u take 'extended lunch' and taxi there, maybe don't even need to take leave. It's at CMPB. Actually one psychometric, one interview, reasonable.. Yours is special case more than twice? All the interviews I been to no less than two stage. Job market is super competitive.

Not much room for negotiation, very much based on a confidential formula. When HR tells you the estimated salary, you decide how much you want to risk squeezing/frustrating HR if you have lots of chips to gamble with. No chips then don't gamble.

Hope this helps.

Oh I see.. wonder if the medical check up will come before they offer you the salary package or after? I'm not sure if I have any chips to gamble with. I just felt that they must have some kind of budget range they can offer you so I wanted to negotiate. Anyone who manage to negotiate successfully please leave a comment below! Thank you!

SGLupCheong 29-03-2019 07:35 PM

Hiring Process

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115623)
----- day 0
Interview (very long)
Medical (very long)
Signing contract

HI yes another user here! Would like to share my progress as well since I've benefitted much from the responses earlier on.

Invitation for PT: 3 days after application
Actual PT: 2 weeks later
Interview: another 2 weeks later
Site preview: 1 week later

Hope this can help you buddy

Unregistered 29-03-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115642)
Oh I see.. wonder if the medical check up will come before they offer you the salary package or after? I'm not sure if I have any chips to gamble with. I just felt that they must have some kind of budget range they can offer you so I wanted to negotiate. Anyone who manage to negotiate successfully please leave a comment below! Thank you!

I'm the same person you replied to.

HR got back to me more than 3 times on the salary. Once after PT, once after interview and finally, same time as medical appt was booked.

I didn't really negotiate per se, I only clarified the job scope very respectfully and tactfully because she said my job scope is A... Commander at site preview say my jobscope is B. In other words due to misalignment of perceived job demand, HR did not account for work expected by my commander.

so HR incorrectly suggest that my experience in certain area is not relevant. Waited another week she went back to the drawing board and she informed me a different salary range, ask if I'm able to accept for her to submit for approval. i accepted. Though not fantastic but good enough for me as long I'm paid rightfully for my experience and work done.

the 'final' call came recently to verbally offer me the grade, title, salary, and ask for my notice period.

Budget? I assume they called me because I am not too far off! The lady is very nice, if you insist, tactfully ask what is their budget. My friend did that and did still get hired.

Unregistered 29-03-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGLupCheong (Post 115643)
HI yes another user here! Would like to share my progress as well since I've benefitted much from the responses earlier on.

Invitation for PT: 3 days after application
Actual PT: 2 weeks later
Interview: another 2 weeks later
Site preview: 1 week later

Hope this can help you buddy

Yours is fast, mine has taken forever. But I pity HR. The time stamped on emails is sometimes 11pm sometimes past midnight. I think hiring HR girls also takes forever, whereas resigning is just 30 days notice.

Unregistered 29-03-2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115646)
I'm the same person you replied to.

HR got back to me more than 3 times on the salary. Once after PT, once after interview and finally, same time as medical appt was booked.

I didn't really negotiate per se, I only clarified the job scope very respectfully and tactfully because she said my job scope is A... Commander at site preview say my jobscope is B. In other words due to misalignment of perceived job demand, HR did not account for work expected by my commander.

so HR incorrectly suggest that my experience in certain area is not relevant. Waited another week she went back to the drawing board and she informed me a different salary range, ask if I'm able to accept for her to submit for approval. i accepted. Though not fantastic but good enough for me as long I'm paid rightfully for my experience and work done.

the 'final' call came recently to verbally offer me the grade, title, salary, and ask for my notice period.

Budget? I assume they called me because I am not too far off! The lady is very nice, if you insist, tactfully ask what is their budget. My friend did that and did still get hired.

Hi, thank you for responding. Appreciate it alot!

Wow, I didnt have such "service" hahaha! Was only told that they couldn't match my expected but I was still keen on the position. Just wanted to make sure it was the best they can offer me as I have work experience but yet still quoted a somewhat fresh grad range.

Unregistered 31-03-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115649)
Yours is fast, mine has taken forever. But I pity HR. The time stamped on emails is sometimes 11pm sometimes past midnight. I think hiring HR girls also takes forever, whereas resigning is just 30 days notice.

You're so lucky! It has been almost 16 weeks for mine.

Unregistered 31-03-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115757)
You're so lucky! It has been almost 16 weeks for mine.

Hi, I believe it could be due to urgent vacancy/ because of the fact that I sent a chaser email 2 weeks after the PT?

Would like to know if medical checkup is scheduled after being offered (+salary package) or before being offered?

Unregistered 31-03-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115774)
Hi, I believe it could be due to urgent vacancy/ because of the fact that I sent a chaser email 2 weeks after the PT?

Would like to know if medical checkup is scheduled after being offered (+salary package) or before being offered?

If it is a fact that they are in need of persons, a so called follow up mail is not relevant. You are potentially in good hands. Worry less and good luck!

Medical will definitely be prior to HR admin (less the interview portion)

Unregistered 31-03-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115774)

I agree that I feel the follow up email is not relevant. I called, HR always say, the ball is in the hiring dept court, they don't revert the whole process stagnates. After once or twice, there's really no need to continue pressing them unless they promised 2 weeks and take 1 month (my case as well)

Medical is after site preview. It is one of the many concurrent processes that take 4-6 weeks. Quoting the friendly officer at CMPB, "once they send you here for medical, you can prepared the resignation letter. It is the last major milestone cleared for non-uniformed. Actually medical is not required for DXO it is just part of protocol"

However to me, as long never sign, anything that can go wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115779)
If it is a fact that they are in need of persons, a so called follow up mail is not relevant. You are potentially in good hands. Worry less and good luck!

Medical will definitely be prior to HR admin (less the interview portion)

They need people but protocol dictates that PT will weed away so many, that only the best remain. When these good candidates receive news of the non-competitive package, some automatically bow out. When they hear that promotions are not annually like in tech companies or banks, they also bow out. In banks good performers promote annually. DXO maybe every 2 years. Many high flyer women apply to enjoy perks for 2 years to give birth and enjoy long leave then quickly go back to high flying work.

My friend is a chief clerk in a unit. The DXO positions take about half a year to fill on average as one year there's only 3-4 hiring cycles maximum. The hiring manager is always not free, maybe 1-2 hiring cycles realistically.

HR admin? Isn't HR admin the entire process starting from the moment they look at your documents A-D.

Unregistered 01-04-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115786)
I agree that I feel the follow up email is not relevant. I called, HR always say, the ball is in the hiring dept court, they don't revert the whole process stagnates. After once or twice, there's really no need to continue pressing them unless they promised 2 weeks and take 1 month (my case as well)

Medical is after site preview. It is one of the many concurrent processes that take 4-6 weeks. Quoting the friendly officer at CMPB, "once they send you here for medical, you can prepared the resignation letter. It is the last major milestone cleared for non-uniformed. Actually medical is not required for DXO it is just part of protocol"

However to me, as long never sign, anything that can go wrong.

They need people but protocol dictates that PT will weed away so many, that only the best remain. When these good candidates receive news of the non-competitive package, some automatically bow out. When they hear that promotions are not annually like in tech companies or banks, they also bow out. In banks good performers promote annually. DXO maybe every 2 years. Many high flyer women apply to enjoy perks for 2 years to give birth and enjoy long leave then quickly go back to high flying work.

My friend is a chief clerk in a unit. The DXO positions take about half a year to fill on average as one year there's only 3-4 hiring cycles maximum. The hiring manager is always not free, maybe 1-2 hiring cycles realistically.

HR admin? Isn't HR admin the entire process starting from the moment they look at your documents A-D.

Hi, thank you both for your response!

Yes I feel that the salary they provide is no longer market competitive. However I still hope there is a chance for negotiation if I am offered? Besides you need much motivation to travel to their ulu locations if you do not live near there!

I see. Yes I also agree that unless the contract is sign nothing is confirmed. I read previous thread there were actually cases where the person was rejected after the medical check up and the reason was not due to medical reasons but suitability issues which could have been highlighted in the earlier stages..... one really need to have passion for public service to persevere this long hiring process!

Unregistered 01-04-2019 09:21 AM

Interview

Just curious, if anyone here applied for the position of orientation manager and got called for interview already?

Unregistered 01-04-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115834)
Just curious, if anyone here applied for the position of orientation manager and got called for interview already?

I applied for something related to orientation definitely not your title... But I guess could be same boss, unless orientation is required at all 5 BMTC.

Radio silence. I hope no news is good news. Judging from all the recent and helpful replies, it's going to be a long process. Now even disgruntled public servants will join the line with fresh grads.