Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 06-04-2019 11:56 PM

Hi I'm the same person you reply to

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116185)
Thanks for the insights. Just wondering, would there be a cut-off for PT by HR? Can you please clarify what is ‘fresh grad fail at PT’? Thanks!

if PT is heavily relied upon to judge fresh grads, then the journey for most fresh grads end because of the PT result. There are too many exam smart local students.

Your question on cut-off, I assume means score. You need to understand that PT is not PSLE for the highest score. It indicates traits of a person and their intensity. Some jobs need strong numerical and focus, some jobs don't prioritize these. Think of accountant vs salesman.

However I would encourage everyone to score for section A and B. It's always a bell curve. If 4 people all get 50% you gets 60%, all the results are not great but guess who gets priority anyway.

I dont have a model answer, but I hope this helps.

Unregistered 07-04-2019 05:38 PM

Do dxos eat in cookhouse?

Unregistered 07-04-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116430)
salary 12
'13th month' 1
mid year 0.5
end year 1
C grade 1.3

fresh grad here, quite inexperienced in salary matters. So, HR has made a verbal offer of 3k. So my total package based on annual, I can just multiply by 15.8? So my annual package is 47k? I know that to compare properly with other private companies must see the annual package.

Thank you!

Very good question, I am also a blur fresh graduate, seeking a confirmation / rejection of the "15.8 month annual package" to help me make an informed decision.

Unregistered 07-04-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116529)
Very good question, I am also a blur fresh graduate, seeking a confirmation / rejection of the "15.8 month annual package" to help me make an informed decision.

Sounds so little. My friend in edb fresh grad quoted 17.5 for the MAP. So i tot mindef would quote at least 16-17?

Unregistered 07-04-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116535)
Sounds so little. My friend in edb fresh grad quoted 17.5 for the MAP. So i tot mindef would quote at least 16-17?

They are just seeking confirmation on the formula

Unregistered 07-04-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116538)
They are just seeking confirmation on the formula

sorry, i was just surfing and i wondered why is mindef paying so little.

Unregistered 08-04-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116535)

i am the original poster. mindef will not quote this original package. what mindef will quote is only the gross salary. those figures are information i have from the past few years. i and i already have been generous with the end year figures. also, this is based on C grader. if you are a C+ and above, you are more or less getting 2.0 and above.

from what i understand, mindef's salary is already slightly above market rate. meaning, will be slightly higher than most stat boards or ministry for the same 'rank'.

and dont compare EDB with mindef. ask yourself.. are you a scholar or one of the best out of the thousands? if not why are you comparing with elites? might as well compare with MOH doctors or lawyers. they also fresh grad.

Unregistered 08-04-2019 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116521)
Do dxos eat in cookhouse?

yes, if your unit has catered for you. no, if you are working in CMPB and offices with no cookhouse.

Unregistered 08-04-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116554)
i am the original poster. mindef will not quote this original package. what mindef will quote is only the gross salary. those figures are information i have from the past few years. i and i already have been generous with the end year figures. also, this is based on C grader. if you are a C+ and above, you are more or less getting 2.0 and above.

from what i understand, mindef's salary is already slightly above market rate. meaning, will be slightly higher than most stat boards or ministry for the same 'rank'.

and dont compare EDB with mindef. ask yourself.. are you a scholar or one of the best out of the thousands? if not why are you comparing with elites? might as well compare with MOH doctors or lawyers. they also fresh grad.

Not the same person. I tend to agree with the 'seems low' comment, that Mindef seems to be offering less attractive package recently. Today, B grade should get 2.5 months. Based on the data provided by the blur fresh grad (numbers are accurate ) a large number of DXO will get 17 month annual. 2.5 month is decent for work-life balance unlike ICA EDB LTA, but not reflective of a state run defence organisation with billion of dollars annually.

About 5 years ago, plain degree was worth 3.5k (my peer joined dxo) , each year of relevant exp 200 dollars (quite standard calculation) . So if one has 6 years specialized experience, should be around 4700. However, based on peers information today and sharing by others here, around 4k only.

I thought after the talk about merit, and equal opportunity, merging dip n degree, would equal the playing field. Still bias towards NTU n NUS, and obsessed over honours grade. However if gov themselves don't support the local uni who would?

Unregistered 08-04-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116554)

no la, just wondering. my friend also non-scholar, or maybe the EDB is really an high paying stat board.

Unregistered 10-04-2019 08:05 PM

Site Preview

Hi all,

Just wondering how long would it take for HR to offer you after a site preview/interview? And also how long later would you receive a rejection email if you are not chosen after the site interview. I understand that there are comments earlier responding to similar ques but i am wondering about the timeline at this point in 2019.

Appreciate all responses. Thank you and have a nice day!:)

Unregistered 10-04-2019 11:51 PM

No definite timeline

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116745)
Hi all,

Just wondering how long would it take for HR to offer you after a site preview/interview? And also how long later would you receive a rejection email if you are not chosen after the site interview. I understand that there are comments earlier responding to similar ques but i am wondering about the timeline at this point in 2019.

Appreciate all responses. Thank you and have a nice day!:)

No definite answer. Why... Because could be you are

1. Top candidate... Within a week

2. Second candidate, and top choice consider a long time then rejected... Within 3 weeks acceptance letter comes

3. Second candidate, and top choice considered a long time then accepted... Within 3 weeks rejection letter comes

4. Second candidate, and Top choice just vanished prior to signing.... Then u get a desperate call.

Unregistered 11-04-2019 06:01 PM

🙋🏼*♂️

Took my Psychometric test 3 weeks ago. Have not hear anything from the hr. Is this normal or is this a sign that I might not have been shortlisted for an interview? Thank you in advance for the advise. Really appreciate it!

Unregistered 11-04-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116804)
Took my Psychometric test 3 weeks ago. Have not hear anything from the hr. Is this normal or is this a sign that I might not have been shortlisted for an interview? Thank you in advance for the advise. Really appreciate it!

I guess just have to wait. Sometimes hiring sept not free, I think.

Was contacted 6 days after my PT to schedule for an interview. My PT was 2 weeks ago.

Unregistered 11-04-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116820)

Was contacted 6 days after my PT to schedule for an interview. My PT was 2 weeks ago.

Yep... I concur. No news is good news.

Unregistered 11-04-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116764)
No definite answer. Why... Because could be you are

1. Top candidate... Within a week

2. Second candidate, and top choice consider a long time then rejected... Within 3 weeks acceptance letter comes

3. Second candidate, and top choice considered a long time then accepted... Within 3 weeks rejection letter comes

4. Second candidate, and Top choice just vanished prior to signing.... Then u get a desperate call.

Hi thank you so much for the response! Guess I'll be patient like what everyone else says
No news is good news!

Unregistered 12-04-2019 12:55 AM

I'm the person who posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116839)
Hi thank you so much for the response! Guess I'll be patient like what everyone else says
No news is good news!

You are welcome. I been thru the anxiety too, totally understand. Everyday I checked my phone almost hourly for missed call and inbox. Months of agony though I had concurrent interviews, however the job at mindef was the most interesting n relevant.

The HR is very kind and honest, they will tell you honestly the status.. Stuck with unit, or awaiting approval, etc. You could call.

Unregistered 12-04-2019 09:47 AM

Mind to share

Do you mind to share which department did you apply to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116820)

Unregistered 13-04-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116873)
Do you mind to share which department did you apply to?

trg doctrine

Unregistered 15-04-2019 12:50 AM

Do dxos get parking in camps?

Some work location like quite ulu.

Unregistered 15-04-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117018)
Do dxos get parking in camps?

Some work location like quite ulu.

All camps are ulu, all were set up in areas where land is cheap and forests are plenty partly to offer space for training and possible expansion.

Yes of course you can park inside. Settle the vehicle clearance with the unit HR on your first day or before

Unregistered 16-04-2019 04:17 AM

Logistics manager

Hi can anyone share what's the life like for a logistics manager in a naval base?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117079)
Hi can anyone share what's the life like for a logistics manager in a naval base?

Hi, can I check with you if you have been offered the role?

Thanks!

Unregistered 16-04-2019 10:42 AM

Nope, are u shortlisted for interview?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117090)
Nope, are u shortlisted for interview?

Nope! :( just took my PT recently and awaiting news. But how do you know the role will be based in naval base?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117099)
Nope! :( just took my PT recently and awaiting news. But how do you know the role will be based in naval base?

There may be multiple similar roles with very similar names for different camps.

The differences will be informed in the job description.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 08:06 PM

Are DXOs role more like staff officer work?

Might sound really silly but i am curious about the following:

1. Do DXOs go for morning PTs?
2. Do DXOs join in for cohesions and stuff?
3. Cookhouse food?
4. How regimental is it?
5. Do they get off-days like regulars too?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 08:19 PM

Im also interested after loooking at the roles available. Are fresh grads DX8, like a LTA equivalent?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117135)
Are DXOs role more like staff officer work?

Might sound really silly but i am curious about the following:

1. Do DXOs go for morning PTs?
2. Do DXOs join in for cohesions and stuff?
3. Cookhouse food?
4. How regimental is it?
5. Do they get off-days like regulars too?

1. No. but you can join you unit if you want to.
2. Yes. you may even be part of the planning.
3. Yes if your camp has it. No if your office dont have it.
4. Just follow security rules. no requirement to salute or do duty. DXO has a dress code and hair standard.
5. depends on your boss. in general, we are regulars.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117137)
Im also interested after loooking at the roles available. Are fresh grads DX8, like a LTA equivalent?

fresh grads start from DX9 now. a CPT.
have not seen DX8 from my experience.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117139)

thanks for clarifying, was reading up previous pages - someone said it's DX9 is LTA etc. Anyway, do DXO use their 'rank' often.

just curious are you a DXO or regular soldier (i assume you answered to the previous post..)?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117141)
thanks for clarifying, was reading up previous pages - someone said it's DX9 is LTA etc. Anyway, do DXO use their 'rank' often.

just curious are you a DXO or regular soldier (i assume you answered to the previous post..)?

not sure what you mean 'use'. but in military, our grade will help identify the officers/non-officers and their relative rank in the unit. cause we are working in a military organisation, so these grades helps. in some places though, they use manager/director to differentiate though. depends on the unit/dept.

im a DXO. and all my posts have certain hint that will shows its me.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117146)
not sure what you mean 'use'. but in military, our grade will help identify the officers/non-officers and their relative rank in the unit. cause we are working in a military organisation, so these grades helps. in some places though, they use manager/director to differentiate though. depends on the unit/dept.

im a DXO. and all my posts have certain hint that will shows its me.

i noted that, so that why i assumed to be the same person. thanks for answering

thank you for the insights. just curious, is it easy to transfer/rotate to another workplace with the DXO scheme?

So do you greet others by their name, then? My NS experience was quite limited to understand the structure of how DXO fits into an organisation - we call our officer Sir/ LTA Tan.. I am keen to apply for some in-camp roles, I was just wondering if DXO would be-friend other colleagues easier, and what do you address them - Sir or CPT Tan or..... If everyone's is uniform, then i know that same rank not so formal if you know them personally.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 11:09 PM

Do dxo roles report to other dxo or military regulars?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117139)

Dx9 is sub divided into 3 ranks. B, S and P. Most fresh grads under 3 years of experience are probably 9b, some 9S.

However I tend to disagree that dx9 = CPT, because the salary scale is closer to LTA. However HR insists that one should not cross reference it this way. A DXO is not graded or appraised according to the uniformed regular scheme.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117151)
Do dxo roles report to other dxo or military regulars?

No rule on this. My RO is LTC.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117153)
No rule on this. My RO is LTC.

I see. Do you address them by appointment or just generic Sir? I used to call my KAHs as their title (CO,SM etc). What about your other colleagues?

Unregistered 17-04-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117152)
Dx9 is sub divided into 3 ranks. B, S and P. Most fresh grads under 3 years of experience are probably 9b, some 9S.

However I tend to disagree that dx9 = CPT, because the salary scale is closer to LTA. However HR insists that one should not cross reference it this way. A DXO is not graded or appraised according to the uniformed regular scheme.

read GOM.

10char

Unregistered 17-04-2019 01:07 PM

dxo is an ok job it seems cause cannot OT (cause cannot bring home computer) with some military perks (off days, cohesion, and those sort of army events).

Unregistered 17-04-2019 05:12 PM

how is it like working in a red-zone office?

cannot bring camera phone? what about usb cable, no usb cables too? will saf pay/reimburse for a non-camera phone? haha.