Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

chocomint 11-06-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38412)
at chocomint, my understanding for 2nd upper female is about 3.4 to 3.6, not sure if i am right or wrong, what position are you being interviewed for (for MINDEF)

thanks..the position has something to do with hr policy. i saw that there'll be a written test, most probably it'd be about policy making? will it be tough? since i have no hr experience whatsoever..

Unregistered 11-06-2013 03:08 PM

sim-uol no chance to get in ah? i applied for one month already.. ;x

Unregistered 11-06-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38442)
sim-uol no chance to get in ah? i applied for one month already.. ;x

Difficult. Also depends on your class of honours, your degree course and also the job you're applying. But so far, I haven't met any SIM-UOL fresh grads that got into DXO. Probably more chances if you get in after a few years work exp. private uni grads who sign on also get less salary and slower promotion(after CPT rank) than their local uni counterparts. I'd advise you to work around 3-5 years and try to apply again.

Unregistered 14-06-2013 12:20 AM

just got the rejection e-mail after the psychometric test, they say will inform me if there are any suitable openings. haa.

Unregistered 14-06-2013 12:28 AM

any mid-career applicants here? wondering if mindef offer you a pay below your current pay?

Unregistered 14-06-2013 10:04 PM

Been called up for second interview, anybody knows what to expect? Questions asked?

uturn 18-06-2013 08:53 PM

i see a lot pple interested in becoming a DXO. just wondering why I seldom see job ad from them for position higher than Executive? Is it really a good place to build your career?

Unregistered 18-06-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uturn (Post 38800)
i see a lot pple interested in becoming a DXO. just wondering why I seldom see job ad from them for position higher than Executive? Is it really a good place to build your career?

Its a good place to slack off and still get paid a very good salary. Strictly 8-5. No overtime. Hordes of NSFs to boss around and work for you. Who wouldnt want that? Somedays if have events or what will get half day off. Cohesion days once every quarter of the year. Free food from cookhouse.

Unregistered 18-06-2013 11:37 PM

it is not as good a job you think it is. be warned. left after 3 years to join pte sect.

Unregistered 19-06-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38811)
it is not as good a job you think it is. be warned. left after 3 years to join pte sect.

I disagree. Well, it depends on which unit and department you were assigned to. Most places are pretty slack. Either you were unlucky and got a shitty place or you just don't know how to play politics and angkat bola in SAF.

Unregistered 19-06-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38811)

but the increment is good !!

can tell us your starting pay and the last drawn pay b4 you left dxo.

please also state you with NS or non-NS, 1st class, 2nd upper, or lower or other?

uturn 20-06-2013 03:28 AM

can advise what you mean by good? imagine you stuck in exec position for very long

GuestA 21-06-2013 11:43 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how long it would take before getting the next call (or rejection) after taking the psychometric test? A ball park range would be good too, thanks (:

Unregistered 28-06-2013 12:38 PM

For you guys who made it through the interview, how long did they take before calling you up to go for the unit preview?

Unregistered 28-06-2013 02:50 PM

DXO interview

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39198)
For you guys who made it through the interview, how long did they take before calling you up to go for the unit preview?

Hi, I'm waiting for interview outcome too. Went for interview last week. How abt u?

How long will they take to inform you about the interview outcome?

Unregistered 28-06-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39199)
Hi, I'm waiting for interview outcome too. Went for interview last week. How abt u?

How long will they take to inform you about the interview outcome?

Hi, I had my interview yesterday.
From my gathering, it seems that most people who are invited to the site preview are called up either on their interview itself or the next day after the interview.

Kinda worried now :(

Unregistered 28-06-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39200)
Hi, I had my interview yesterday.
From my gathering, it seems that most people who are invited to the site preview are called up either on their interview itself or the next day after the interview.

Kinda worried now :(

But the HR person said will inform within 2 wks rite?
Oh no, there goes my chance :(

Unregistered 29-06-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39207)
But the HR person said will inform within 2 wks rite?
Oh no, there goes my chance :(

yes. but i guess it's just formality.
Hopefully, we'll get the calls for site preview.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39246)
yes. but i guess it's just formality.
Hopefully, we'll get the calls for site preview.

Yup, hey lets update each other. I went interview on 20 June but haven't receive any calls so far. Hows things on ur side?

Unregistered 03-07-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39399)
Yup, hey lets update each other. I went interview on 20 June but haven't receive any calls so far. Hows things on ur side?

Hey, they called me yesterday and I went for the site preview. So, it's a three day wait for the call. All the best !

Unregistered 03-07-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39400)
Hey, they called me yesterday and I went for the site preview. So, it's a three day wait for the call. All the best !

Congrats! May I know wad position did you apply for? Is it HR?

Unregistered 03-07-2013 02:47 PM

received a rejection e-mail late June and now received another e-mail from someone else stating that the position i applied has opened up asking me whether i am interested to pursue, but i already have a job. :P

Unregistered 05-07-2013 08:15 PM

MINDEF DXO (IT Positions) - Psychometric Test

Hi,

I would like to find out whether anyone of you did applied for MINDEF DXO (IT positions) before?

I am shortlisted for Psychometric Test but I read through many forums, it is clear that the test is torturing and not many could finish the test within the time given.

Hence, I am wondering did anyone of falls into the category of not being able to finish the test but was offered an interview?

Your response will be greatly appreciated. :-)

Unregistered 06-07-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39545)
Hi,

I would like to find out whether anyone of you did applied for MINDEF DXO (IT positions) before?

I am shortlisted for Psychometric Test but I read through many forums, it is clear that the test is torturing and not many could finish the test within the time given.

Hence, I am wondering did anyone of falls into the category of not being able to finish the test but was offered an interview?

The test is mind-numbing. But if you have been to NS, you shouldve taken the same psychometric test. Finishing is not the problem. Sure can finish, quite a reasonable amount of time. Just that after staring at the screen for 2 hours, your mind goes numb and you start picking random answers just to get it over with.

Unregistered 06-07-2013 07:54 AM

Thank you very much for your response. You are such a kind soul. :-)

However, I am a female and have not been to NS. So, the test is exactly the same as the Pre-NS screening Psychometric Test?

I am very worried because I did a number of such tests (Psychometric, SHL) from other big companies and failed a number of time despite practicing.

You are right, when staring at the screen for a long time, mind really goes crazy and start to lose patient.

Any advise?

Unregistered 06-07-2013 11:47 AM

Hi dont worry too much bout the test, I didnt manage to finish too but got calles up for interview n site preview. Dont worry jus a gauge of whether u r suitable for e job, not exactly a test.

Unregistered 06-07-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39563)
Thank you very much for your response. You are such a kind soul. :-)

However, I am a female and have not been to NS. So, the test is exactly the same as the Pre-NS screening Psychometric Test?

I am very worried because I did a number of such tests (Psychometric, SHL) from other big companies and failed a number of time despite practicing.

You are right, when staring at the screen for a long time, mind really goes crazy and start to lose patient.

Any advise?

You cant practice for a psychometric test lol. You cant practice for this one either. Not really your mind go crazy la. Just that you lose concentration and focus after a few hours. They also want to see how well you think under a pressured situation when you are not at your 'peak'. That is why the psychometric test is dragged for so long.

Unregistered 06-07-2013 03:34 PM

Wow~ Thanks everyone for the sharings! You guys are such a kind soul. Have a lovely weekend.

Guest 11-07-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39545)
Hi,

Hi. I did the test last friday, 5th July. I received a call earlier for an interview scheduled on 23rd July. I applied for a job with the HR department.

The test is manageable. On the first test, I only managed to complete 56/60 questions. The other two test I had ample time to complete them. For those who are going for the psychometric test, do not be dishearten if you do not complete. I guess the best method is to take the test with a calm state of mind. It is nothing too difficult, just concentrate on your test and do not be perturbed with completing the test or how fast the other applicants are going at. By the way the 3rd/final test is a personality test, you have all the time in the world to do that test. And there's no right or wrong answer. So good luck for your test!!

Unregistered 11-07-2013 05:24 PM

I heard from my friends working at various ministries that the pay grade are almost the same. Which means:

2nd Upper (Hons) with NS: ~S$3.6k

Approximately $100-200 differences with every degree grade. Therefore,

2nd Lower (Hons) with NS: ~S$3.4k
3rd Class (Hons)/Pass with merit and NS: ~S$3.2k

For the ladies, you can expect roughly $200 lesser since you were not conscripted for NS.

The above are the basic salary. I believe the ministry may be willing to offer more according to your job experiences, the position you applied for (senior position) etc...

Unregistered 11-07-2013 05:28 PM

Can i clarify something?

After the initial online application it follows with a psychometric test right? After which there is an interview with a panel? I heard that they may call us up for a site preview if they are interested in hiring? May i know what is a site preview? (I applied for a job with the HR department, is there a site preview for that?)

Furthermore, may I know what else to expect after the site preview or do I wait for a call for a job offer?

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 12-07-2013 11:21 PM

Site preview is to let u in on the working environment, for me it was accompanied with an interview session with the bigger heads. Not sure if HR is e same. Received a call 4 days after site preview that I got selected and if I would like to follow the preference that I have indicated during the interview. Agreed to and HR told me to give them two weeks to do my pay calculation and up to a mth for security clearance. Received 3 phone calls to update my particulars and to head for more clearances. Tomorrow is the 2nd week, no updates on pay and remunerations, no call up for medical checkups and certainly no offers made. Kinda wprried now, anyone in e same shoes? Tried asking the HR clerk if I am selected and she couldn't answer me as they have lotsa clearances to do. Aarrgghhh.. rejected several job offers, so now am beginning to worry.

Unregistered 13-07-2013 10:02 PM

check this out to have a better understanding

https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...ecision-6.html

I also think their hiring timeline is way too long, might as well join private sector

Unregistered 15-07-2013 07:51 PM

Shortlist for Interview (How Long?)

Hi,

I am a female applying for IT positions with MINDEF.

I did the psychometric test on last Friday, 12th July 2013. For the verbal test (Part 1), I only managed to completes around 56/60 of the questions. For the raven matrices test (Part 2), I cannot finish as well. I only completes around 57/60 of the questions. As for the last part (Personality Test), I finished the total of 185 questions which was mandatory.

I am surprised to see many candidates applying for jobs with MINDEF from the number of candidates who came to do the Psychometric Test last Friday.

But until today, I still did not hear anything from the HR yet. I wonder whether my chance is slim?

I heard that if a position is applied by many candidates, then the HR will filter by looking at the Psychometric Test Result. Is it true?

Any kind soul can response to my enquires? =-)

Unregistered 16-07-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39937)
Hi,

I am a female applying for IT positions with MINDEF.

I did the psychometric test on last Friday, 12th July 2013. For the verbal test (Part 1), I only managed to completes around 56/60 of the questions. For the raven matrices test (Part 2), I cannot finish as well. I only completes around 57/60 of the questions. As for the last part (Personality Test), I finished the total of 185 questions which was mandatory.

I am surprised to see many candidates applying for jobs with MINDEF from the number of candidates who came to do the Psychometric Test last Friday.

But until today, I still did not hear anything from the HR yet. I wonder whether my chance is slim?

I heard that if a position is applied by many candidates, then the HR will filter by looking at the Psychometric Test Result. Is it true?

Any kind soul can response to my enquires? =-)

Very hard to say, not exactly sure what they are looking for, but if they will inform you if you are selected. But i heard it is faster for rejection. So no news = good news. =D

Benni 16-07-2013 12:16 AM

My case:

Position applied for in third week of June: First choice: Media Head, second: Research Officer
July 3: Psychometric test
July 11: Mindef HR called, offering me the position of Senior Research Officer instead. (Guess I cleared the test?) I said "yes" and they said they will send my resume to the unit to see if they are interested. If they are, they will call me.

So it seems that my case is proceeding quite fast, compared to other people who have to wait many weeks.

My background: 2:2 from NUS arts. 5-6 years of working experience in teaching and editorial/journalism.

Just praying hard that I can get an interview!

All the best to everybody here!

Unregistered 17-07-2013 10:41 AM

I

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benni (Post 39958)
My case:

Position applied for in third week of June: First choice: Media Head, second: Research Officer
July 3: Psychometric test
July 11: Mindef HR called, offering me the position of Senior Research Officer instead. (Guess I cleared the test?) I said "yes" and they said they will send my resume to the unit to see if they are interested. If they are, they will call me.

So it seems that my case is proceeding quite fast, compared to other people who have to wait many weeks.

My background: 2:2 from NUS arts. 5-6 years of working experience in teaching and editorial/journalism.

Just praying hard that I can get an interview!

All the best to everybody here!

I only waited one mth from the test to unit preview, it is actually the security clearance part that takes v long.

Unregistered 17-07-2013 11:34 PM

"Verbal Reasoning Test"

Hey all, I was wondering how you all managed to finish 56/60 of the verbal reasoning test.The long, unwieldy sentences and hanging references really bug me. Like "XX% of which were exonerated of their crimes". XX% of what? It's not even clear what that XX% is supposed to refer to from the previous line. How should I know what the author of said passage supposedly believes in when s/he can't write in clear, comprehensible prose? Who comes up with these tests anyway?

Unregistered 19-07-2013 01:07 AM

Hi,

I just received an email asking me to go down for an interview (NS policy exec). But the person told me that I'll have to write an essay before the interview? OMG.. longggg time since I wrote an essay....

anybody experienced this before? what type of essay topics and interview questions to expect?

Unregistered 19-07-2013 12:18 PM

Congrats on getting an email for interview. Can share when did you sit for the psychometric test? Thx