Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 07-10-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7519)
Sorry I stand Corrected.

Senior Managers make 7-8k on the average.. AD's are at about 12 in Polytechnics...

Wow, I didn't know SMs and ADs earn so much in Polytechnics. Some junior ADs in the Ministries don't even earn 5k.

mid-life crisis 07-10-2010 12:29 PM

So how much does a Junior AD earn in Ministries?

Unregistered 07-10-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 7532)
So how much does a Junior AD earn in Ministries?

Below 5k but probably close.

mid-life crisis 07-10-2010 02:18 PM

Wow, that's really quite miserable. I wonder whether I am wasting my effort and time for this application then.

Unregistered 07-10-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 7537)
Wow, that's really quite miserable. I wonder whether I am wasting my effort and time for this application then.

I was talking about Ministries, not polytechnics. The pay structure for ADs in polys seems to be very different and much higher, according to someone else who posted on this topic. And even for Ministries, two persons may hold the same title but command vastly different salaries.

Unregistered 07-10-2010 05:39 PM

Is it really true that ppl with only a pay degree have no prospects in civil service? not even in stat boards? what if i have had 1 year experience workiing in one of the ministries. will that help me get a job in other stat boards/ministries?

*worried*

Unregistered 07-10-2010 05:40 PM

Is it really true that ppl with only a pass degree have no prospects in civil service? not even in stat boards? what if i have had 1 year experience workiing in one of the ministries. will that help me get a job in other stat boards/ministries?

*worried*

Unregistered 07-10-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7538)
I was talking about Ministries, not polytechnics. The pay structure for ADs in polys seems to be very different and much higher, according to someone else who posted on this topic. And even for Ministries, two persons may hold the same title but command vastly different salaries.

I guess the reason might be pretty simple, Poly and ITE hire people with industry experience, at least 5-10. if its only 1-2 years experience, they must have at least a PhD or good masters to be relevant.

While the salary seems higher than ministries, i guess it might be because the ministry does hire fresh grads, polytechnics, to remain relevant, prefer to hire people who have experience in a particular field of work to teach. So to attract such "mid career" people to make the switch, you have to pay something decent.

I remember my lecturer back in the old days, he had 10 years of experience behind him before he joined. If you want to train for the industry, you got to know exactly what the industry wants, and who better than the workers themselves!

that being said, staff in polytechnics are also markedly older.

Unregistered 09-10-2010 12:16 PM

Asst dir means very differently in diff ministries and stat boards.

Example MTI asst dir is v different from MOE asst dir
MTI asst dir is fresh grad entry level.

The job scope and pay is more impt.Titles can be misleading.
Example if u are manager and heads a section/unit you probably earn more than an asst dir who just work with a group of fellow asst dirs and senior asst dirs.

Unregistered 09-10-2010 02:51 PM

was reading today's paper and there was an article about pushing up polytechnic education. Soon 45% of students will be pushed through polys, that's almost half of all students!

high growth/impact area..
no wonder they are competitive with their salaries.. they need to attract talent from the industry and away from the other polytechnics.

i spoke to a friend and she mentioned the jump in salary was due to a reduction of annual leave from 42 days to 21 days for polytechnic lecturers.. Apparently poly staff used to have 42 days of annual leave in 1 calendar year..

Amazing.. I only have 15 days..