Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-03-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157629)
I don't think they mentioned how this scheme differs from mx scheme! I guess it's probably mostly similar. Also, I'm second upper local degree, female no NS. Now abit worried that pay may be lowered when letter of appointment is prepared, since someone above said their pay offer changed.

If your offer is from the Ministry that I think it is, then I don't think that there will be any pay cut. I was hired a few months back by the same Ministry and didn't experience any pay cut after approval of appointment. Anyway based on your offer, I don't think you are being shortchanged because that's the amount that most people are getting.

Unregistered 03-03-2021 11:40 PM

Does having a master degree get you a higher salary in civil service? Does it help with career progression?

Unregistered 04-03-2021 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157643)
Cos they say they are unable to recognise the freelance work experience, so it's like starting as fresh grad. I don't mind actually. But was just wondering why it is mx12 instead of mx13? Does anyone have any idea?

Some places start off fresh grads (or those "deemed" fresh grads) at MX13 and some at MX12.

I started at MX13 as is the norm in my place. Pay I heard is the same as those who started in places that start with MX12.

Difference seems like those who start as MX12 may promote to MX11 in as early as 2 years. While those who start at MX13 have to use 1 year to "promote" to MX12, before waiting another 2 years with good performance to reach MX11.

Starting as MX12 sounds like a good thing then.

I'm of course not the official source and speak only from my limited experience and hearsay, so what I say my not be the gospel truth.

Unregistered 04-03-2021 01:23 AM

how long does it take to promote from mx11 to mx10?

or mx11 to 11a first? and how long?

Unregistered 04-03-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157623)
Think civil service should be able to match ba? Maybe assistant director?

he is not asking if can match, he is asking if he joins EDB, whether he can ask for 10-15% increment from last drawn

Unregistered 04-03-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157651)
Does having a master degree get you a higher salary in civil service? Does it help with career progression?

Not at all. A masters is virtually useless in Singapore unless:

1. You intend to go into academia
2. It's relevant to your field (e.g. to practice psychology, you need masters)

Unregistered 04-03-2021 10:45 AM

Sign on for 6 years, got a part time private degree.

3 years in private company. Took a pay cut and came in to CS at 31 with (MX12) 4.2k++.
Seems like my regular years was not counted eventho there are lots of similarity on what I do right now.

Currently after 1 year is 4.5k. Looking at 4.7k after confirmation in another few months and 4.8k after prorate increment to align to CS next year march. I am just a farmer.

My site abit unique due to it being very small.
1) Increment seems to be a whole number instead of by percentage.
2) Performance bonus so far my 1 year quantum is 1.3 month which is damn low taking into consideration mid year and year end have nothing for last year.
3) Was told promotion take about 8years or more.
4) Was told by direct boss and colleagues who have been around for 4-10 years, that everyone will get grading C no matter how well or bad you do unless it is time for promotion.
5) Was told they do not do cross posting. So if I want to do other post, I have to look at other ministries.

Are these across most CS or just my site? If it's just my site I think it's time I look elsewhere.

HR just told me I am recommended for confirmation and emplacement and thus am considering.

Unregistered 04-03-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157649)
If your offer is from the Ministry that I think it is, then I don't think that there will be any pay cut. I was hired a few months back by the same Ministry and didn't experience any pay cut after approval of appointment. Anyway based on your offer, I don't think you are being shortchanged because that's the amount that most people are getting.

Yup, it is indeed from a Ministry. Thanks for advising. Do you have any idea what is the typical number of years before a promotion?

Unregistered 04-03-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157678)
Sign on for 6 years, got a part time private degree.

3 years in private company. Took a pay cut and came in to CS at 31 with (MX12) 4.2k++.
Seems like my regular years was not counted eventho there are lots of similarity on what I do right now.

Currently after 1 year is 4.5k. Looking at 4.7k after confirmation in another few months and 4.8k after prorate increment to align to CS next year march. I am just a farmer.

My site abit unique due to it being very small.
1) Increment seems to be a whole number instead of by percentage.
2) Performance bonus so far my 1 year quantum is 1.3 month which is damn low taking into consideration mid year and year end have nothing for last year.
3) Was told promotion take about 8years or more.
4) Was told by direct boss and colleagues who have been around for 4-10 years, that everyone will get grading C no matter how well or bad you do unless it is time for promotion.
5) Was told they do not do cross posting. So if I want to do other post, I have to look at other ministries.

Are these across most CS or just my site? If it's just my site I think it's time I look elsewhere.

HR just told me I am recommended for confirmation and emplacement and thus am considering.

Brother, what more do you expect joining CS with a private degree? Your trajectory seems about right for your profile. Should go back to private sector if you want to cheong.

Unregistered 04-03-2021 12:06 PM

OP here. Yea or any good stat board/ ministry to increase the salary for that matter. Reason is I’m due for promotion at my current workplace.

Also, trying to understand if it’ll be pegged at Mx 11 or 11a, so I know the range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157676)
he is not asking if can match, he is asking if he joins EDB, whether he can ask for 10-15% increment from last drawn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157613)
I’m working at a tech company with about 8-9 years of experience. 35 this year.

I earn $120, 000 base. And another 12, 000 for bonus. I get at least 12, 000 for stocks annually. This excludes other benefits like transport/ food allowances etc that come up to about 4, 500.

My question is if it’s possible to make a jump to a ministry or a stat board like edb and get a 10-15% increment? What MX level would I be pegged at?

Thinking of serving fellow Singaporeans!