Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 30-10-2010 12:02 AM

anyone can advise the salary range for fresh grad?

Unregistered 30-10-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7737)
actually its possible for fresh grad ard $3.9k ($3880)

if he is
male(NS)
1ST Class
DSTA.

Is it still true that
1st class = $3880
2nd upper = $3580
2nd lower = $3280
for fresh graduate(male) in DSTA

if someone male 2nd upper ($3580) or 2nd lower ($3280), after working 3 years in DSTA how much will he be earn by then? Any figures for me? Assume he is average performer in DSTA.

Unregistered 30-10-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7741)
anyone can advise the salary range for fresh grad?

read through the previous posts u dipshit

Unregistered 31-10-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7748)
read through the previous posts u dipshit

why are you so rude? must be one of the crass locals.

Unregistered 02-11-2010 02:12 AM

Please factor in the 'Productive Time'

Hi,

Will be more meaningful to guage holistically.

Consider these points:
-Time clocked in office. [Can bring work home? Laptop or PC provided?]
-Compelled to check emails after official work hours (e.g.: 6pm)? [You issued with BlackBerry?]
-Need to take night calls with US/Europe counterparts/customers? How frequent? [Those in private sector......like myself.......I don't like it....but it comes with the 'turf'.]
-Can take time off from work for sabbatical/stints/alternative work arrangements? [Case in point, MOE teacher in SG schools.]

Thus, for those that claim to make over $8K monthly (exclude bonus, transport allowance etc etc etc), please paint a full-er picture.

*Yeap, I am also having mid-life crisis........got to make more plans for my $ to work harder!!!*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7721)
Good for you. Doesn't seem like you are having a mid-life crisis :)

Unregistered 03-11-2010 12:56 PM

hi, jus wanna make enquiry, does government sector taking in any degree? or jus local degree? I have a degree from northumbria is it recognise in Singapore governement services?

Unregistered 05-11-2010 10:07 AM

Fresh grad and working in Civil Service and my salary is currently 4k.

Based on my exp:
1st class hons: 4k
2nd upper: 3.2k

Unregistered 05-11-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7800)
Fresh grad and working in Civil Service and my salary is currently 4k.

Based on my exp:
1st class hons: 4k
2nd upper: 3.2k

Why the difference in salary for 1st class and 2nd upper is so much by $800

is the 4k (with NS) or without?

how much is 2nd lower (with NS)

Which ministry is this?

Unregistered 06-11-2010 11:34 AM

I think most 1st class hons are around 3.6-3.8 but I came 2nd in my class, so perhaps they were kind enough to offer me slightly more.

Unregistered 06-11-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7813)
I think most 1st class hons are around 3.6-3.8 but I came 2nd in my class, so perhaps they were kind enough to offer me slightly more.

First class = promote faster?

Unregistered 07-11-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7817)
First class = promote faster?

Hope so. But i think 'performance' (taichi) counts more.

Unregistered 07-11-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7813)

I'm guessing you are NOT on the MXS(2008) scheme but some other schemes i.e. intelligence scheme or other professional schemes.

sigh 08-11-2010 08:40 PM

hey guys, i need some help.

i applied for position X but HR just told me that position X is meant for a dip holder. i'm a local degree holder so she said if i'm chosen, i'll be on division II scheme. according to her, my entry pay will be that of a div I but progression path will be div II.

i'm not very sure about the difference in progression path for div I and II except that div II will definitely not start on the same footing or progress as fast. can someone tell me what are the other major differences? performance bonus also lower?

i'm having second thoughts now.. but the job scope seems like something i'll enjoy and might want to continue doing later. but i really need some voice of reason from people who have more knowledge about the 2 schemes.

Unregistered 09-11-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigh (Post 7832)
hey guys, i need some help.

i applied for position X but HR just told me that position X is meant for a dip holder. i'm a local degree holder so she said if i'm chosen, i'll be on division II scheme. according to her, my entry pay will be that of a div I but progression path will be div II.

i'm not very sure about the difference in progression path for div I and II except that div II will definitely not start on the same footing or progress as fast. can someone tell me what are the other major differences? performance bonus also lower?

i'm having second thoughts now.. but the job scope seems like something i'll enjoy and might want to continue doing later. but i really need some voice of reason from people who have more knowledge about the 2 schemes.

Div 1 (aka degree holders scheme)
Div 2 (aka dip holders scheme)

Your salary scale , PB and increments is tagged to your scheme. eg

A "C" grader performer during the annual review yields say 100 dollars for div 2. But the very same C grader under Div 1 will get more like 170 dollars. Same goes for PB, leave benefits etc.

Therefore if you accept these terms as Div 2, you would be heavily pinned down for future years to come. I am sure you get the picture. But the decision is still yours.

Unregistered 09-11-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7835)
Div 1 (aka degree holders scheme)
Div 2 (aka dip holders scheme)

Your salary scale , PB and increments is tagged to your scheme. eg

A "C" grader performer during the annual review yields say 100 dollars for div 2. But the very same C grader under Div 1 will get more like 170 dollars. Same goes for PB, leave benefits etc.

Therefore if you accept these terms as Div 2, you would be heavily pinned down for future years to come. I am sure you get the picture. But the decision is still yours.

The job market is pretty good now. Why would any grad want to join civil service as a div 2? Don't do yourself a disservice.

Unregistered 09-11-2010 02:40 PM

It's weird that they would take you in because technically speaking, you are overqualified for a Div II scheme and the civil service rarely "overhires".

Do you have an honours degree? If you don't, could it be due to that? But even if you don't, you should be at the lower end of Div I and not Div II. Anyone else can chip in?

Unregistered 09-11-2010 09:57 PM

Hi

If I joined the civil service in say February or July, will I still be included for the annual ranking exercise? I heard that people in the first year are given a default grade

Unregistered 09-11-2010 11:50 PM

ridiculous that civil servants are getting paid more than private sectors. Civil servants, are after all, paid using taxpayers' money. So in the end people are encouraged to go into public sectors. If everyones wants to be civil servants, then who will wants to work in the private sector to drive the economy?

What a waste of taxpayers' money.

Unregistered 10-11-2010 12:46 AM

my piece of advice

be thankful of what u get and stop complaining...
i was from one of the ministries ( shall not name the name here..)

32 years old, 9 yrs of working experience, 2nd class lower with honours and my pay is only 2.9K..

So how???

Unregistered 10-11-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7845)
be thankful of what u get and stop complaining...
i was from one of the ministries ( shall not name the name here..)

32 years old, 9 yrs of working experience, 2nd class lower with honours and my pay is only 2.9K..

So how???

Your pay is too low. At the most minimum is $100 X your age

Age 32 = $100 X 32 = $3200
My baseline... lol !!!

Unregistered 10-11-2010 11:09 PM

karen

hhahahah...tell me about it...i just left the ministry and rejoin back private sector...

pay better..............

Unregistered 11-11-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7843)
ridiculous that civil servants are getting paid more than private sectors. Civil servants, are after all, paid using taxpayers' money. So in the end people are encouraged to go into public sectors. If everyones wants to be civil servants, then who will wants to work in the private sector to drive the economy?

you have to distinguish between "civil servants" and "public servants"

if "public servants" in stat boards aren't paid competitive salaries, then who is going to drive all the cornerstones of society!

if MOE schools and Polies don't pay competitive salaries, who are we gonna get to educate our kids? people who aren't as smart? that would be terrible!

and the military as considered public service as well. I would rather have a "corruption free" military than one where the disgruntled and poorly paid soldiers sell secrets!

Unregistered 11-11-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7843)

How do you know whether civil servants are paid more than in private sector? Even if they are, whether they are paid using taxpayers' money is has nothing to do with how much their salary should be. To say they should be paid lower just because they are paid using taxpayers' money is ludicrous.

Whether one is paid higher than the other (civil vs pte, civil vs civil, pte vs pte) ought to be based on one's capability and whether one is in civil service or private is of no importance. If you are good, you get paid well. If you are better than someone else, you get paid more. If you are less capable, you get paid less.

We need people to be in private sector as much as we need people in public sector. Both are important. Would private sector flourish if companies do not have faith in the stability of the country (mandate of public sector) and hence do not invest? Few would disagree.

Would the public sector alone be able to sustain the economy of the nation alone without the private sector? Impossible.

Bottom line is both are important to the country and people and to each other. Please put more thought before posting something so ludicrous!

StanfordGurl 14-11-2010 04:31 AM

Hi guys,

I recently graduated with an MS in Statistics from Stanford. Looking to join civil service in SG. Any ideas how much they pay for a fresh grad like me?

PS: My mum's Singaporean, but my I hold an american passport (from my dad). Any ideas if non-singaporean passport holders can work for the govt?

Thx!
S.gurl

Unregistered 14-11-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanfordGurl (Post 7902)
Hi guys,

I recently graduated with an MS in Statistics from Stanford. Looking to join civil service in SG. Any ideas how much they pay for a fresh grad like me?

PS: My mum's Singaporean, but my I hold an american passport (from my dad). Any ideas if non-singaporean passport holders can work for the govt?

Thx!
S.gurl

Are you a male? If yes, once you have sacrified your 2.5 yrs of experience by joining the army 1st, you are eligible to work there

Unregistered 14-11-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Hi guys,

Thx!
S.gurl

You can work in statutory boards in non security risk jobs, eg Media Development Authority, etc. Ministries and defence related organisations are very strict towards employees' citizenship. Only Singaporeans will do. Not even PR.

Unregistered 17-11-2010 05:53 PM

3 month bonus pls!

Unregistered 18-11-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Hi guys,

Thx!
S.gurl

Beginning to lose some respect for stanford graduate. why would you even consider working for the government unless you are bounded by scholarship. those who are stuck there, no choice. After working for a few years, most of them just cruise through life and either get too comfortable or too scare to join the private sector. but young man like you is thinking of working for government. not too bright, I must say.

Unregistered 21-11-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7861)
hhahahah...tell me about it...i just left the ministry and rejoin back private sector...

pay better..............

care to share which industry you joined? I think it may not be so ez for some to jump ship cuz many in the public sector are generalists, or they are in very niche areas like defence. What are the suggested areas which those looking to move should look out for?

a1233 21-11-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7938)
3 month bonus pls!

I hope so too... but I think it will be more likely be 2.5 months. Anything extra will be given in Growth Bonus in March. This is to keep people in the service longer, otherwise a lot of pp will leave after collecting bonus :)

diptograd 25-11-2010 12:02 AM

Hey guys

I'm currently a Dip holder working in a Div 2 position at a stat board. I joined this position about two years ago and started my part-time degree around the same time.

I'd be finishing my part-time degree in Feb/Mar 2011 (likely to get a Merit Degree from SIM RMIT) and the management at the stat board is keen to promote me to Div 1 and keep me here. I do enjoy the work (my job-scope is exactly the same as most Div 1 officers here) and I quite like the boss.

May I know what's the pay I should ask for? How's my chances of getting 15 ~ 20% more than what other fresh grads would get?

Thank you.

diptograd 25-11-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diptograd (Post 8015)
Hey guys

I'm currently a Dip holder working in a Div 2 position at a stat board. I joined this position about two years ago and started my part-time degree around the same time.

I'd be finishing my part-time degree in Feb/Mar 2011 (likely to get a Merit Degree from SIM RMIT) and the management at the stat board is keen to promote me to Div 1 and keep me here. I do enjoy the work (my job-scope is exactly the same as most Div 1 officers here) and I quite like the boss.

May I know what's the pay I should ask for? How's my chances of getting 15 ~ 20% more than what other fresh grads would get?

Thank you.

Just to add - my reasons for asking for the extra 15 ~ 20% is because

- I have been a consistent good performer for the past two years, getting at least B+ for both years;
- I have been doing Div 1 work, ie, project management, leading teams/committees for both years;
- Nobody in my organisation really knows how to do what I do; and
- Most of my work is highly visible.

Unregistered 25-11-2010 09:13 AM

Does anyone know what's the quantum of performance bonus for an average performer in a Ministry (excluding growth bonus)?

Unregistered 25-11-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diptograd (Post 8016)
Just to add - my reasons for asking for the extra 15 ~ 20% is because

- I have been a consistent good performer for the past two years, getting at least B+ for both years;
- I have been doing Div 1 work, ie, project management, leading teams/committees for both years;
- Nobody in my organisation really knows how to do what I do; and
- Most of my work is highly visible.

Hey there,

seeing you writing these really reminds me of what i am 8 years ago. The "ideas" i hope for with my additional paper certs. Sorry but let me break the sad news to you

1) Since you are being converted to div 1, it is highly unlikely they will ask you how much you want for your salary. Rather, you accept what is given to you.
2) it is shocking to see that you actually say NOBODY knows how to do your job in your department. it really implies your role is of little to no significance to the organization; nobody is required to know aka.
3) Your work is most likely highly visiable to yourself only. (seriously ask yourself how much do you know about what others in your department do?)
4) Your immed boss may like you but ultimately he / she is not paying your salary. HR has tons of policies regarding salaries etc. Most of which are not very favorable to upgraders.

2 years exp / fresh grad upgrade from poly. With more exp you will understand my words. Bottom line, try not to hope for much with the conversion to Div 1 in stats board

Unregistered 25-11-2010 06:35 PM

@diptograd - 15% to 20% higher than the average new fresh grad would be rather difficult. Given that you have only two years of work experience, HR can choose not to recognise them totally and you might likely be paid either as a fresh grad or only marginally better.

diptograd 25-11-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8019)
Hey there,

seeing you writing these really reminds me of what i am 8 years ago. The "ideas" i hope for with my additional paper certs. Sorry but let me break the sad news to you

1) Since you are being converted to div 1, it is highly unlikely they will ask you how much you want for your salary. Rather, you accept what is given to you.
2) it is shocking to see that you actually say NOBODY knows how to do your job in your department. it really implies your role is of little to no significance to the organization; nobody is required to know aka.
3) Your work is most likely highly visiable to yourself only. (seriously ask yourself how much do you know about what others in your department do?)
4) Your immed boss may like you but ultimately he / she is not paying your salary. HR has tons of policies regarding salaries etc. Most of which are not very favorable to upgraders.

2 years exp / fresh grad upgrade from poly. With more exp you will understand my words. Bottom line, try not to hope for much with the conversion to Div 1 in stats board

Hmm, what did they offer you and did you take up the offer?

Actually, just wanna clarify on two things:

On point 2: One of the things I'm doing, social media and traditional media analysis (like the value of the coverage on my organisation's news for eg) is quite new to the local comms field and I'm the only one with the skillset to do it currently. I'm not sure if its not significant, but I've been asked by management to do this more and more often.

On point 3: Not really accurate to say that its only visible to myself... I've presented to the management, board as well as have my work showcased at International events. I'll be leading a team to produce a video for my parent Ministry's Minister to present next year as well.

anotherdiptograd 26-11-2010 05:15 AM

with your experience you can go into an agency and get much higher pay, rather than asking for a pittance of 15-20% pay raise

Unregistered 26-11-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diptograd (Post 8022)
Hmm, what did they offer you and did you take up the offer?

Actually, just wanna clarify on two things:

On point 2: One of the things I'm doing, social media and traditional media analysis (like the value of the coverage on my organisation's news for eg) is quite new to the local comms field and I'm the only one with the skillset to do it currently. I'm not sure if its not significant, but I've been asked by management to do this more and more often.

On point 3: Not really accurate to say that its only visible to myself... I've presented to the management, board as well as have my work showcased at International events. I'll be leading a team to produce a video for my parent Ministry's Minister to present next year as well.

from my side of your view it seems like you're a top talent, the expert, the rare person who can get exceptional things done and of course i'll pay more to retain such a valued employee.

the sad truth - hr has just employed a top employee for their bang for bucks. all good work done by employees will have all credits given back to the ministry. to them, maybe you can save it as your portfolio for your future work. i'd rather leave the <sai kang> work to another dedicated person and then encourage him to train up and specialise in more <sai kang> work. when he leaves, all i need to do is to train up another employee to take over all his <sai kang>.

"In the meantime, i'll praise and keep him happy while he produces quality work which i prefer not to do and keep all the credits... hehehe "

from,
boss.

Unregistered 27-11-2010 01:52 AM

how much salary

Hi, i recently went for an interview for Human resource executive for one of the ministries.. anybody has any idea what is the expected pay? I was a former teacher for abt 6 yrs.

Btw, do they take so long to inform us the resukts? It has already been 2 weeks , when i last emailed them, they say still do not noe yet.. inefficient man... how long does it take in general for interview results to be known.

Unregistered 27-11-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 8032)
Hi, i recently went for an interview for Human resource executive for one of the ministries.. anybody has any idea what is the expected pay? I was a former teacher for abt 6 yrs.

Btw, do they take so long to inform us the resukts? It has already been 2 weeks , when i last emailed them, they say still do not noe yet.. inefficient man... how long does it take in general for interview results to be known.

can expect about 20% more than ur current salary. sometimes can be less, if HR deem that the current position is not similar to your current skillsets.

is there a closing application date? if not, perhaps in the mean time they are looking for better candidates. i'm sure the usual lines apply "successful candidates will be notified". don't keep your hopes too high, in the meantime continue your search.