Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 07-10-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7519)
Sorry I stand Corrected.

Senior Managers make 7-8k on the average.. AD's are at about 12 in Polytechnics...

Wow, I didn't know SMs and ADs earn so much in Polytechnics. Some junior ADs in the Ministries don't even earn 5k.

mid-life crisis 07-10-2010 12:29 PM

So how much does a Junior AD earn in Ministries?

Unregistered 07-10-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 7532)
So how much does a Junior AD earn in Ministries?

Below 5k but probably close.

mid-life crisis 07-10-2010 02:18 PM

Wow, that's really quite miserable. I wonder whether I am wasting my effort and time for this application then.

Unregistered 07-10-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 7537)
Wow, that's really quite miserable. I wonder whether I am wasting my effort and time for this application then.

I was talking about Ministries, not polytechnics. The pay structure for ADs in polys seems to be very different and much higher, according to someone else who posted on this topic. And even for Ministries, two persons may hold the same title but command vastly different salaries.

Unregistered 07-10-2010 05:39 PM

Is it really true that ppl with only a pay degree have no prospects in civil service? not even in stat boards? what if i have had 1 year experience workiing in one of the ministries. will that help me get a job in other stat boards/ministries?

*worried*

Unregistered 07-10-2010 05:40 PM

Is it really true that ppl with only a pass degree have no prospects in civil service? not even in stat boards? what if i have had 1 year experience workiing in one of the ministries. will that help me get a job in other stat boards/ministries?

*worried*

Unregistered 07-10-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7538)
I was talking about Ministries, not polytechnics. The pay structure for ADs in polys seems to be very different and much higher, according to someone else who posted on this topic. And even for Ministries, two persons may hold the same title but command vastly different salaries.

I guess the reason might be pretty simple, Poly and ITE hire people with industry experience, at least 5-10. if its only 1-2 years experience, they must have at least a PhD or good masters to be relevant.

While the salary seems higher than ministries, i guess it might be because the ministry does hire fresh grads, polytechnics, to remain relevant, prefer to hire people who have experience in a particular field of work to teach. So to attract such "mid career" people to make the switch, you have to pay something decent.

I remember my lecturer back in the old days, he had 10 years of experience behind him before he joined. If you want to train for the industry, you got to know exactly what the industry wants, and who better than the workers themselves!

that being said, staff in polytechnics are also markedly older.

Unregistered 09-10-2010 12:16 PM

Asst dir means very differently in diff ministries and stat boards.

Example MTI asst dir is v different from MOE asst dir
MTI asst dir is fresh grad entry level.

The job scope and pay is more impt.Titles can be misleading.
Example if u are manager and heads a section/unit you probably earn more than an asst dir who just work with a group of fellow asst dirs and senior asst dirs.

Unregistered 09-10-2010 02:51 PM

was reading today's paper and there was an article about pushing up polytechnic education. Soon 45% of students will be pushed through polys, that's almost half of all students!

high growth/impact area..
no wonder they are competitive with their salaries.. they need to attract talent from the industry and away from the other polytechnics.

i spoke to a friend and she mentioned the jump in salary was due to a reduction of annual leave from 42 days to 21 days for polytechnic lecturers.. Apparently poly staff used to have 42 days of annual leave in 1 calendar year..

Amazing.. I only have 15 days..

Unregistered 09-10-2010 07:41 PM

i don't understand this whole talk.
Poly staff are paid good money. it's been a known fact for YEARS.

Polytechnic Lecturer - Page 3 - CozyCot Forums
Top 100 jobs in Singapore (2007) | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore

even a comment about poly/ite matching your current industry, with a warning that it's a one way street

Life of a Polytechnic/ITE Lecturer - MyCarForum

Unregistered 17-10-2010 02:19 PM

is it faster to gain promotions at a ministry or at its stat boards?
now i'm stuck at a level where there appears to be a glass ceiling. not sure whether it would be easier if i change my career path

mid-life crisis 18-10-2010 07:50 PM

May I know what is your position, qualification and no of years of experience?

Unregistered 19-10-2010 12:24 PM

IT salary in public sector

I'm 33 y.o currenly earning 4.3k/mo doing IT for one of the stat board.
Had my degree from US in year 2000. I'd like to know how am I compare to others in similar field?

Thanks.

Unregistered 21-10-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7634)
now i'm stuck at a level where there appears to be a glass ceiling. not sure whether it would be easier if i change my career path

nobody knows? i'm also curious to find out

mid-life crisis 21-10-2010 03:08 PM

What is your position or salary grade?

meepok 21-10-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7644)
Had my degree from US in year 2000. I'd like to know how am I compare to others in similar field?

Thanks.

What is your job scope? If you're doing desktop support, 4.3k is about the range you should be getting.

mid-life crisis 21-10-2010 05:28 PM

Seems like civil servants are paid very low, I am 32 yrs old getting around 8k in private sector.

Unregistered 23-10-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 7663)
Seems like civil servants are paid very low, I am 32 yrs old getting around 8k in private sector.

That's because you are comparing with the wrong group in the civil service. Always compare with the elite group.

mid-life crisis 23-10-2010 08:59 AM

Elite group? I don't consider myself as elite group in private sector though.

Unregistered 23-10-2010 09:06 PM

I'm hoping for 3 month bonus year-end :)

Unregistered 24-10-2010 06:11 PM

3mths yr end bonus?! that has nv happen before!

with the civil service focusing more and more on performance based bonus, i don tink that yr end bonus will be so much... maybe they put more into your PB instead??

sianz... the stat board that i am joining told me that i will not be eligibilbe for the upcoming PB in march, cos i join them too late and missed out on the appraisal...

Unregistered 25-10-2010 03:17 AM

depends.

I get an average of 16 months a year usually.

(12 salaried) + (1x13 month) + (1 month mid year (this year is half + $200)) + (2 month PB)

sometimes get more.. sometimes less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7680)

with the civil service focusing more and more on performance based bonus, i don tink that yr end bonus will be so much... maybe they put more into your PB instead??

sianz... the stat board that i am joining told me that i will not be eligibilbe for the upcoming PB in march, cos i join them too late and missed out on the appraisal...

smallfry 25-10-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7682)
depends.

I get an average of 16 months a year usually.

(12 salaried) + (1x13 month) + (1 month mid year (this year is half + $200)) + (2 month PB)

sometimes get more.. sometimes less.

Just to understand, if this is at a stat board or something. Or is it ok to reveal the name of the stat board or which area its in?

I can see that we get very mixed reviews on pay progression, with some seemingly close to 10% year on year averaged out, or we get really bad things like almost no movement for 4 to 5 years?

Cause Im one of the many many scholars at a biz stat board, not sure if salary wise its that bad..

smallfry 25-10-2010 01:29 PM

May I also understand, if bonus are subjected to cpf contribution? Income tax? I suppose income tax will be, but cpf?

Unregistered 25-10-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallfry (Post 7686)
May I also understand, if bonus are subjected to cpf contribution? Income tax? I suppose income tax will be, but cpf?

Bonuses are subject to both CPF contributions and income tax.

Unregistered 25-10-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7634)

I would say, hard to say one way or another.

Are you stuck at a level where most people in your organisation cannot break through? If the answer is no, then it has to do with your CEP and not with any glass ceiling.

lye 25-10-2010 03:27 PM

I'm a fresh grad from NTU with 2nd lower, have just been offered 2.8k (no ns) at a stat board (1yr contract)

Sounds kinda okay to me, since it's my first job after all and I was actually expecting lower with a 2:2..

I am a little surprised at being placed at MX12 though, after browsing this forum and realising that freshies normally get in at grade 13. All I did in the past were temp jobs (1-3 months)..

So..does it mean that at MX12, I'll have to take on more responsibilities at work?

Would be glad for some input :)

Unregistered 25-10-2010 05:17 PM

Both MX 13/12 are entry/junior level grades so the responsibilities should be the same. Be happy with what they offer you :)

Unregistered 25-10-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lye (Post 7690)
I'm a fresh grad from NTU with 2nd lower, have just been offered 2.8k (no ns) at a stat board (1yr contract)

Sounds kinda okay to me, since it's my first job after all and I was actually expecting lower with a 2:2..

I am a little surprised at being placed at MX12 though, after browsing this forum and realising that freshies normally get in at grade 13. All I did in the past were temp jobs (1-3 months)..

So..does it mean that at MX12, I'll have to take on more responsibilities at work?

Would be glad for some input :)

w/o NS = u female

Question

1.) Why working in stat board is under MX scheme? I thought MX scheme only applicable to those working in Ministry? Why your statboard is under MX scheme?? Statboard should have their own scheme right.

2.) Are you sure you are in Stat board, not Ministry??

lye 25-10-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7694)
w/o NS = u female

Question

1.) Why working in stat board is under MX scheme? I thought MX scheme only applicable to those working in Ministry? Why your statboard is under MX scheme?? Statboard should have their own scheme right.

2.) Are you sure you are in Stat board, not Ministry??

Yup, female. And hahah yes, it's definitely a stat board :)

Hmm I'm not too sure, it just says "Grade 12" on the letter of appointment. Perhaps it meant something else then...? (sorry I'm a total newbie to this grade system ^^)

Unregistered 26-10-2010 10:17 AM

It doesn't matter whether it's MX 12 or 13. I was on MX13 earning around 3.9K

Unregistered 26-10-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lye (Post 7699)
Yup, female. And hahah yes, it's definitely a stat board :)

Hmm I'm not too sure, it just says "Grade 12" on the letter of appointment. Perhaps it meant something else then...? (sorry I'm a total newbie to this grade system ^^)

This is probably specific to your stat board.
Stat board can take guidance from the MX scheme, but they usually have their own schemes

Unregistered 26-10-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7703)

First class honours?

Unregistered 26-10-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7703)

wow 3.9k

Question

1. You are a male (with NS)

2. You got 2nd upper/1class honors ?

3. 3.9k is your starting pay? or is it your pay after working for some years(how many years of exp is that if fall under this category?)

4. You in Stat board or in ministry? ( can tell which stat board or ministry ?)

Unregistered 26-10-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7710)
wow 3.9k

Question

1. You are a male (with NS)

2. You got 2nd upper/1class honors ?

3. 3.9k is your starting pay? or is it your pay after working for some years(how many years of exp is that if fall under this category?)

4. You in Stat board or in ministry? ( can tell which stat board or ministry ?)

Actually it's not too hard to guess given that this is more the exception rather than the norm. I don't think he/she will provide further info which will reveal too much.

My guess is
Male
1st class
1-2 years of work
Ministry

Unregistered 27-10-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7644)

Thanks.

Sounds quite low. I know of many of my peers and juniors who already earn that when they are 28-30 in the civil service

Unregistered 27-10-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7680)

I don't think that's unlikely. But if it happens like what you say (put more into PB) I'm happy with that too. Assuming that I'm actually around to enjoy it :)

Unregistered 27-10-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis (Post 7663)

Good for you. Doesn't seem like you are having a mid-life crisis :)

Unregistered 29-10-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7711)
Actually it's not too hard to guess given that this is more the exception rather than the norm. I don't think he/she will provide further info which will reveal too much.

My guess is
Male
1st class
1-2 years of work
Ministry

actually its possible for fresh grad ard $3.9k ($3880)

if he is
male(NS)
1ST Class
DSTA.