Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 05-04-2016 03:44 PM

Come on, everybody needs a job. no one should be idling around.

every human needs an identity, usually its the job.

imagine your friend ask you what you do ? , you say you jobless and aimless!!! gone case.

at least if you have a job, you can offer something to the table.

or if you are single, and you meet a girl, you can tell her, you have this and that, you do what work.

JUST DONT DO SAI KANG

Unregistered 05-04-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82863)
Life is like that.

Only a few lucky ones in the world would actually love their work and are paid well for it. The rest of us would just be working for a living and to support our families.

So what we do? For me and my wife, we wanted to break this cycle for our children as we are aware that for each successive generation, they will find it harder and harder to get well paying jobs, even with good degrees.

We will continue to work as long as we can (we are already above 55) and saved and invest. Our aim is to built up a steady stream of passive income that will sustain us in retirement. This will mean that:
1. Our children will not be burdened with having to support us financially when we are retired
2. Our children can focus on building up their own families and finances
3. When we pass on, our children can continue to enjoy the steady passive income stream from our investment.

Right now, our passive income is about $130k pa plus/minus $20k.

Only a few rare gems get to work on their passion:
1. Lee kuan yew - Singapore PM
2. Steve Jobs - Apple CEO
3. Piyush Gupta - DBS CEO
4. Kishore mahbubani - LKY School Deanery.

You can tell these people love to work.

Unregistered 05-04-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82877)
She is very nice. she is not those loud and snobbish type. she is very good girl. she dress most expensive is polo ralph lauren and an omega watch.otherwise very low profile, only when her chauffeur come in a very long car then we shocked.

typical rich girl got attitude problem or heck care pattern. she is the opposite, very considerate, eats healthy and take care of people. i will try to woo her HAHAHAHAHAHHA

I understand where you are coming from. But I'll phrase it simply.

You'll never know truly how nice someone is until that person is striped away from all luxuries and is left with that which she had to sacrifice her time for, ie, things she had to work for. I'm pretty sure she didn't have to work for her Omega watch and her chauffeur.

That's the issue. The minute someone knows she can get whatever by calling Mom or Dad, a request, a meal, a lift in her Mercedes driven by her chauffeur, you'll never know how nice she truly is. That is my point.

Compare with someone who worked hard and paid every cent for his car and see what he does with his car - send people home as a friendly gasture - then you can tell the person's true character.

Unregistered 05-04-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82880)
I understand where you are coming from. But I'll phrase it simply.

You'll never know truly how nice someone is until that person is striped away from all luxuries and is left with that which she had to sacrifice her time for, ie, things she had to work for. I'm pretty sure she didn't have to work for her Omega watch and her chauffeur.

That's the issue. The minute someone knows she can get whatever by calling Mom or Dad, a request, a meal, a lift in her Mercedes driven by her chauffeur, you'll never know how nice she truly is. That is my point.

Compare with someone who worked hard and paid every cent for his car and see what he does with his car - send people home as a friendly gasture - then you can tell the person's true character.

true. one of my uni friend is like that, family use to be rich, then dad went bust in 2008. he use to be very friendly, generous and not "petty" over small things money or non-money wise. now he is much more cautious of money and will hint to us to pay him back if he is shortchange e.g. split group bill equally when he actually spend less.

Unregistered 05-04-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82881)
true. one of my uni friend is like that, family use to be rich, then dad went bust in 2008. he use to be very friendly, generous and not "petty" over small things money or non-money wise. now he is much more cautious of money and will hint to us to pay him back if he is shortchange e.g. split group bill equally when he actually spend less.

EXACTLY! You'll only know a person's true character when what he say or does actually means something to him or his time, ie, he had to work for it. All these rich kids didn't have to lift a finger to get these luxuries.

Unregistered 05-04-2016 04:57 PM

You are spoiling your children. Just give them a good education. Spend whatever you earn and donate all to charity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82863)
Life is like that.

Only a few lucky ones in the world would actually love their work and are paid well for it. The rest of us would just be working for a living and to support our families.

So what we do? For me and my wife, we wanted to break this cycle for our children as we are aware that for each successive generation, they will find it harder and harder to get well paying jobs, even with good degrees.

We will continue to work as long as we can (we are already above 55) and saved and invest. Our aim is to built up a steady stream of passive income that will sustain us in retirement. This will mean that:
1. Our children will not be burdened with having to support us financially when we are retired
2. Our children can focus on building up their own families and finances
3. When we pass on, our children can continue to enjoy the steady passive income stream from our investment.

Right now, our passive income is about $130k pa plus/minus $20k.

Unregistered 05-04-2016 11:12 PM

Most Singaporeans heartache and cannot bear to give to charity la. Singaporeans not there yet. Unlike real aristocrats

Unregistered 06-04-2016 11:49 AM

The big difference is aristocrats are born into money and most Singaporeans worked hard to build their wealth. Having said that, I think most Singaporeans are generous when there is call for help.

Maybe the children of wealthy Singaporeans will be more generous to charity as they didn't have to sweat for their wealth.

For us, we are not spoiling our children as they will not be able to "touch" our wealth until we pass on. What we are trying to do in the meantime is to build up our wealth so that they will not be burdened to take care of us when we retire. And at the same time leave them an income stream as well as the assets generating that income stream when we are gone.

$6m now may seem like a lot but 30 years later, it may be only worth half the value it is today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82895)
Most Singaporeans heartache and cannot bear to give to charity la. Singaporeans not there yet. Unlike real aristocrats

Unregistered 06-04-2016 12:41 PM

The statistics and MOM reports may not lie, but the fact is that there are people who do earn good salaries, very good salaries.

It is like the government keeps telling people that the average lifespan of Singaporeans is going up, but this stats is not important, not relevant to those who are dying.

So yes, while the average income may not be high, there is a good number of high earners. Look at the DBS CEO's 2015 income. It was $10m+. In 2014, it was $9m.

Below him are the many MDs, Senior VPs etc.., each would be earning >$500k pa. And this is just DBS. There are many other banks, many company CEOS, directors, etc...

By the same logic, you just think of the many civil service organizations and agencies. The directors and deputies are all superscale grades each earning no less than $300k pa. And some of these people are only mid 30s.

For myself, I am only a lowly wage earner. I having been investing and trying to generate another stream (passive stream) of income to supplement my salary. Right now the passive stream is giving me $130k pa which helped put me (together with my salary) on par with my boss' income.

That's what we should do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82873)
This nonsense has been going on forever in this forum. If you just read here, you will think the average Singaporean:

- Makes >10k a month by 3o years old
- Most are working in bank getting mega bonus every year
- Are multi millionaires by investment and business
- Easily generate 6 figure passive income in their 40s & 50s and are “worried” they cannot retire

Good for laughs, but don’t take it too seriously lah. For real salary figures go download and read the MOM report. For real investment returns go read the annual CPFIS investment report.

Unregistered 06-04-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82921)
The statistics and MOM reports may not lie, but the fact is that there are people who do earn good salaries, very good salaries.

It is like the government keeps telling people that the average lifespan of Singaporeans is going up, but this stats is not important, not relevant to those who are dying.

So yes, while the average income may not be high, there is a good number of high earners. Look at the DBS CEO's 2015 income. It was $10m+. In 2014, it was $9m.

Below him are the many MDs, Senior VPs etc.., each would be earning >$500k pa. And this is just DBS. There are many other banks, many company CEOS, directors, etc...

By the same logic, you just think of the many civil service organizations and agencies. The directors and deputies are all superscale grades each earning no less than $300k pa. And some of these people are only mid 30s.

For myself, I am only a lowly wage earner. I having been investing and trying to generate another stream (passive stream) of income to supplement my salary. Right now the passive stream is giving me $130k pa which helped put me (together with my salary) on par with my boss' income.

That's what we should do.

Top 1% got money would already generate 30-50k rich people in Singapore. Of course it's a lot numbers wise.

But instead of a country sample representative of 99% normal people 1% rich people in this forum, we have 80% rich/super high flyers and 10% affluent PME and just 10% normal or below average. Tell me what are the chances that an unregistered forum targeting pay discussions for students, unemployed or career starters will attract all the rich people to congregate here?

DBS CEO Piyush Gupta and his MDs come here to talk cock? Did he jio his OCBC & UOB counterparts Samuel & Ee Chow to come here as well? Civil service superscale Directors/Principals/Generals and Perm Secs come here to chit chat? Rich businessmen come here to network? Do you really believe this or just arguing for argument sake?