Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 15-01-2016 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78141)
The job market is getting too competitive and I have difficulty finding job even though I am local uni grad.

I have 2 periods of unemployment of 6 months and 3 months.

How do I cover it up?

Thank you.

Why need to cover up? Lying for such inconsequential things is just asking for trouble in the future.

Unregistered 15-01-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77953)
I have been jobless for 4 months. I am a late twenties Nus acc grad.
My previous job was at an outsourced call centre. pay was 2.4k
2 year contract but I left after 6 months. you know why?

For a start, it is an outsourced place. The training was a ****ing mess. say 1 month, end up 1.5 weeks finished. a lot of lessons were skipped. trainers also heck care, never print notes. all uninformed and untrained and jump straight to phone calls.

the best part is yet to come.

There are managers and "enforcement" people who walk around and shout at you to pick up the calls so that they can help you to hit 50 calls per day. it was an absolute sweatshop. Compulsory Overtime work, if you don't do, they will blacklist you and in future if you need some HR assistance, they will put you at the end of the list. they won't let you go for training because you never help Overtime. ****. I hated the place as it burnt my mind and soul. A women who quit said she regretted stepping into that place and wanted to commit suicide due to the stress.

That was a place where you go to when you need to put food on the table. Eventually I quit the bloody **** hole. High stress levels. mental breakdown.

Able to give hints and let us know which company is it? So as to warn bros to skip this company in future!

Unregistered 15-01-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78162)
Able to give hints and let us know which company is it? So as to warn bros to skip this company in future!

What bros? when are we bros?! This is one of the more well know LOCAL outsource provider.

I haven't added more:

As a outsourced office, everything is limited, computers and desk must share, sometimes one day change seats 5 TIMES! sometimes, You must share computers with other people. include malaysian indian aunties and malay aunties. WOW, the SMELL is GAO LAT! some indian and malay power powder sprinkle on the desk, like got flour there. POWER smell. the seats if you are lucky got LAI ANG!. wet wet patch round round.! very dusty, as you know it is outsourced right? the cleaner also half-past-6. bo chun bo chun one.

Public holidays - singaporeans must work. malaysian OFF. you see GAO LAT or not?

Unregistered 15-01-2016 11:58 PM

Diploma graduate unemployed

Is there any diploma graduate who still unemployed:(

Unregistered 17-01-2016 05:11 PM

I have been unemployed for 1 year after retrenchment. (mid forties with deg) Been trying very hard on jobsbank as well as other govt agencies. I have already reduced my asking salary humbly to reflect on my decision to accomodate the hiring/shortlisting agency but to no avail. Not even 1 interview. I have since started to look for even temp jobs in careers@gov but no news at all. Is job market that bad even at the lower rungs of junior roles?

Can I not put my asking salary at all? I just want an opportunity to do well in an interview. Every job that I apply, I will study and adjust my CV to advance any opportunities. Meanwhile, I m also looking to improve myself by taking up some skills.

Just sharing my experience. :)

Unregistered 17-01-2016 05:30 PM

How are you coping financially? Do you have children? Is your wife working and supporting the family financially?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78233)
I have been unemployed for 1 year after retrenchment. (mid forties with deg) Been trying very hard on jobsbank as well as other govt agencies. I have already reduced my asking salary humbly to reflect on my decision to accomodate the hiring/shortlisting agency but to no avail. Not even 1 interview. I have since started to look for even temp jobs in careers@gov but no news at all. Is job market that bad even at the lower rungs of junior roles?

Can I not put my asking salary at all? I just want an opportunity to do well in an interview. Every job that I apply, I will study and adjust my CV to advance any opportunities. Meanwhile, I m also looking to improve myself by taking up some skills.

Unregistered 17-01-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78233)

Hi,

Just like to ask if you have tried the 'Admin Manager' role with MOE?

Do you enjoy working in an environment that engages multiple stakeholders?

Unregistered 17-01-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78239)
Hi,

Just like to ask if you have tried the 'Admin Manager' role with MOE?

Do you enjoy working in an environment that engages multiple stakeholders?

I did try to apply some admin jobs in MOE. Applied quite afew infact, mostly at HQ moe level I think? Yes I do management reporting and have experience doing budgets forecasting and presentation at a senior mgmt level quarterly. I'll leave out further details as I would prefer not to ponder what has passed. Moving on positively at the moment :)

I have some savings over the years, still manage to tide by daily frugally. I guess hitting 40s is no joke and the experience is real. Pmets and similiar alike Singaporeans like me are facing real issues with employability. However I guess not everyone is unlucky like me. I have a friend just called me earlier that he finally found a job in a bus company handling operations albeit severe pay cut, which is fine if u ask me. Better a job then nothing.

Feeling happy for him and motivated. Tomorrow I will start to look at transport sectors and see if there's matching skills set for the vacancies.

Pray for me guys! lol

Unregistered 17-01-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78244)
I did try to apply some admin jobs in MOE. Applied quite afew infact, mostly at HQ moe level I think? Yes I do management reporting and have experience doing budgets forecasting and presentation at a senior mgmt level quarterly. I'll leave out further details as I would prefer not to ponder what has passed. Moving on positively at the moment :)

I have some savings over the years, still manage to tide by daily frugally. I guess hitting 40s is no joke and the experience is real. Pmets and similiar alike Singaporeans like me are facing real issues with employability. However I guess not everyone is unlucky like me. I have a friend just called me earlier that he finally found a job in a bus company handling operations albeit severe pay cut, which is fine if u ask me. Better a job then nothing.

Feeling happy for him and motivated. Tomorrow I will start to look at transport sectors and see if there's matching skills set for the vacancies.

Pray for me guys! lol

Hi Sir,

Addressing u this way as i'm much younger than you.

Just like to clarify that admin jobs are mostly at schools. HQ rolea are more policy and budgeting oriented.

To have a better gauge of your interest and commitment, how long do u intend to stay in your next role?
Do you mind a female-oriented environment?
We may have quite a few layers of clearance for some / most work, which can be quite hierarchical for private sector ppl, would that be an issue?

Unregistered 17-01-2016 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78245)
Hi Sir,

Addressing u this way as i'm much younger than you.

Just like to clarify that admin jobs are mostly at schools. HQ rolea are more policy and budgeting oriented.

To have a better gauge of your interest and commitment, how long do u intend to stay in your next role?
Do you mind a female-oriented environment?
We may have quite a few layers of clearance for some / most work, which can be quite hierarchical for private sector ppl, would that be an issue?

I dun mind working with female environment. Good to stay long term in a job too actually. So ya.. seriously if the new work environment requires me to even do some skills training, upgrading etc to meet the 'people developer' title for the organisation is perfectly fine for me. (I know some people hate to attend training and workshops etc, but I actually enjoy using it as an opportunity to upgrade and network)

Some layers of clearance means good coverage and responsible decision making. (good politics ;).