Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

wern 25-11-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30848)
wah liew off topic again....

hmm what is the typical number of applications to 1 job offer, and what is the typical number of months of job search for 1 job offer?

I read from some thread here that for just Careers@Gov only, up to 70-80 applications fight just for 1 position. For Banking in the pte sector it shoots up to 700-800 per spot.

From personal experience my offers only came in after attending 8-10 interviews. I suppose its just a statistics game, sooner or later it'll come lah. Just be realistic about your expectations and don't give up trying. Like someone said here - job application free one, so just keep on sending them out.

Unregistered 25-11-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 30849)
From personal experience my offers only came in after attending 8-10 interviews. I suppose its just a statistics game, sooner or later it'll come lah. Just be realistic about your expectations and don't give up trying. Like someone said here - job application free one, so just keep on sending them out.

agree on the statistics part.. the mother of it all is the number of applications but to wait for these opportunities to surface can be a few months. (or longer if nearing year end as its a dry spell period).

Unregistered 25-11-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 30849)
I read from some thread here that for just Careers@Gov only, up to 70-80 applications fight just for 1 position. For Banking in the pte sector it shoots up to 700-800 per spot.

Yours truly said it.

Honour to be quote by you. Haha

Unregistered 26-11-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30856)
Yours truly said it.

Honour to be quote by you. Haha

but from my personal experience, i only attend 1 interview i will get the job. So you might be doing something wrong. Get a mentor to work with you on finetuning your job hunting. Maybe it's your CV or something. Also, do invest some money in training. What kind of job are you looking for?

Sam Adams 26-11-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30876)
but from my personal experience, i only attend 1 interview i will get the job. So you might be doing something wrong. Get a mentor to work with you on finetuning your job hunting. Maybe it's your CV or something. Also, do invest some money in training. What kind of job are you looking for?

what kind of jobs you talking about that only need 1 round of interview...

Unregistered 26-11-2012 05:15 PM

All jobs I have gone require 2 interviews. Either combination of 2 face to face ones or 1 face to face and 1 phone call interview.

Those that require 1 interview are start up and SMe based on my personal encounter.

Unregistered 26-11-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30912)
All jobs I have gone require 2 interviews. Either combination of 2 face to face ones or 1 face to face and 1 phone call interview.

Those that require 1 interview are start up and SMe based on my personal encounter.

I got my current job (MNC) with one face to face interview only.

Watson 26-11-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30876)

Just 1 round of interview you get the job? its a very junior post?
From what I know, I always went through at least 2 to 3 rounds before I get the job, this is not counting the salary nego round with HR or direct manager.
I think getting a mentor, (family or close friend) to practise interview skills is good. Also set your expectations right, many bobo pple I know, do not have the personality/skills that fit the company culture yet insist to keep interviewing for the same type of job over and over again.
So do homework and prepare yourself on the image most likely to score the offer.
Many times, if its a IC role, individual contributor, you not only need to be a team player, but also take initiative for change. Outspoken, knowing the right time to speak. Unless its a simple admin job, you dun need to be outspoken, just reliable and meticulous, so need to project this aura in the interview.

Dressing/mannerism, school CCA history will tell me some stuff about personality. Also the hobbies of a person. This is normally considered in interviews for junior positions.

For more senior roles, skills / decision making, though process would add in.
I practise often with a cousin to help him get a job, he did not get a job he liked, nor a salary scale he wanted, but at least got a job. Its quite depressing when after many rounds of interviews, while still at old contract job, he had to take up an ex post he left a 2 yrs ago. Feels like back to Sq 1. But this is an example of how a personality not suited to the type of job, yet persist to interview and seek out the same post over and over again. One day even if he does get the job, he will not excel in it.

Unregistered 26-11-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30913)
I got my current job (MNC) with one face to face interview only.

Well, then very likely the post you applied is a very junior post or they needed to fill up the post urgently.

Typical scenario, employee inside complaint to the HR manager that no one is doing this new assignment, and no one is so willing to do it as it is not their job scope. Therefore, the hiring can turn out to be just 1 interview.

Unregistered 27-11-2012 09:31 AM

I attended 3 rounds of interviews with an SME before getting the offer. On the other hand, when I went to a stat board for a position in junior management, it's only 1 round of interview before they give you the offer.