Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 25-12-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77108)
But this is what I found on MOE website
"You will receive a monthly salary while undergoing NIE training. Your tuition fee at NIE will be fully borne by MOE. Upon successful completion of NIE training, you will be deployed to teach in our schools to serve a 3-year teaching bond (for Dip Ed-trained candidates). The salaries for GEO 2 officers are as follows:" Hmmm it seems that GEO 1 is for degree holder.

And also, I don't see anyone here applying for math/physics/Chem/bio(Sec). Not even in other forums. I guess it's true that they don't have vacancy in sec for math/sci. And hence either no one apply or no one was shortlisted for interview

LOL, you copied and pasted outdated info. This is the more recent one la:

://.moe.gov.sg/careers/teach/career-info/salary/geo/

In the past degree holders are on GEO 1 while the rest are on GEO 2. Now MOE has merged the two tracks.

Don't believe, your problem lor.

Unregistered 27-12-2015 10:15 PM

Due to the cut in teacher recruitment numbers, are there going to be less places for graduates?

Unregistered 28-12-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77257)
Due to the cut in teacher recruitment numbers, are there going to be less places for graduates?

Nope, it depends on teaching subjects. PE, art & music (at primary level), and humanities subjects always require more teachers.

smlee 05-01-2016 03:28 PM

Hi all,

I'm so happy to have found this thread.

I've been in IT line for the past decade. I have some questions about switching to teaching as a career. Hope you guys can shed some light.

1) What are the challenges usually faced by teachers?
2) What motivates the teachers to push on?
3) I have very little teaching experience. Will MOE even consider me?
4) How do teachers plan their holiday? Any difference from 9-6 jobs?

TQ so much!!

Kevin

Unregistered 06-01-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smlee (Post 77598)
Hi all,

I'm so happy to have found this thread.

I've been in IT line for the past decade. I have some questions about switching to teaching as a career. Hope you guys can shed some light.

1) What are the challenges usually faced by teachers?
2) What motivates the teachers to push on?
3) I have very little teaching experience. Will MOE even consider me?
4) How do teachers plan their holiday? Any difference from 9-6 jobs?

TQ so much!!

Kevin

Challenges faced by teachers:
- High workload especially in your beginning years it takes time to gain competency.
- Probably will spend many weekends lesson planning in the first few years.
- That's why they have a three year bond.

Motivation:
- Your desire to help students succeed, and the joy of seeing them progress (esp. if bad kids turn good).

Teaching experience:
- Yes. But now it is more competitive to enter because of the lower recruitment numbers.
- You should be comfortable with public speaking and be ready to simulate teaching in front of the interviewers.
- Most likely you will be offered contract teaching for both MOE and yourself to gauge your suitability for teaching before entering NIE.

Holiday:
- Every school has its own policy, but about half of each holiday period tends to be protected time. In this sense, the number of days on leave per year is pretty high compared to the wider civil service.
- Downside is you can't choose when to take leave. Leave during school term is a nono. Tickets tend to be more expensive during school holidays too.

Waiting 08-01-2016 09:51 AM

After the Interview

Anyone went for PGDE interview in November and still waiting for response?
The status at careers@gov is still "In Process". What's going on? I thought there will be a response whether we are offered or not?

Unregistered 09-01-2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waiting (Post 77738)
Anyone went for PGDE interview in November and still waiting for response?
The status at careers@gov is still "In Process". What's going on? I thought there will be a response whether we are offered or not?

Does MOE update the status at careers@gov?

smlee 13-01-2016 10:24 AM

I tried clicking on the link from moe webpage to apply for a teaching post. It did not load properly. I then googled for the page and was directed to a jobsdb page, which showed no open position!!

I also chanced upon this page.
Ministry of Education, Singapore: Teaching as a Career

Does it mean that we can only apply during the 3 application windows?

Unregistered 15-01-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smlee (Post 78001)
I tried clicking on the link from moe webpage to apply for a teaching post. It did not load properly. I then googled for the page and was directed to a jobsdb page, which showed no open position!!

I also chanced upon this page.
[url=://.moe.gov.sg/careers/teach/ut-applicationwindows/]Ministry of Education, Singapore: Teaching as a Career[/

Does it mean that we can only apply during the 3 application windows?

From what I've read, you can apply any time, but it will be processed in the next application window.

Unregistered 15-01-2016 08:52 AM

what is the annual increment for moe teacher like? isit same as pte sector like 8-9% every year????