Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 01-07-2016 11:46 PM

Edit:

GEO 1 (Untrained): ??? (Untrained non-graduate)
GEO 1 (Trained): ???? (Trained non-graduate)

GEO 2 (Untrained): 2000 - 4340 (Untrained graduate)
GEO 2 (Trained): 2538 - 4500 (Trained graduate)
GEO 3: 3515 -5616
GEO4: 4545-7271
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5651-9064 (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-9288 (+9%?) (min. HOD/LT)
SEO3: 8748-11232 (+9%?) (min. VP/MT)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 88015)
Alright, the updated scale is half-done. Anyone else can help verify other grades? (In red)

GEO1: 2000-4340 (?) (Non-graduate / Untrained graduate)
GEO2: 2538-4500 (Trained graduate)
GEO3: 3380-5540 (+4%?)
GEO4: 4545-7271
GEO5: 4903-7845 (max salary grade for standard teacher)
SEO1: 5651-9064 (min. LH/SH/ST)
SEO2: 7236-9288 (+9%?) (min. HOD/LT)
SEO3: 8748-11232 (+9%?) (min. VP/MT)


Unregistered 11-07-2016 11:51 PM

WWF - Education Intern
://.wwf.sg/wwf_singapore/careers/?272771/education-intern

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 18-07-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88046)
some teaching questions here...

1) let's say i make a mid-career switch to teaching n graduate from NTU NIE PGDE. what's my salary like after graduation and what GEO will i be under?
PGDE salary is available on the MOE website. As for mid-career switch, usually you will work the terms out with the interview people and it will probably be based on our years of working experience, position etc. From what I know, the pay is also affected by your degree's honours (e.g. FCH in your degree prior to taking PGDE = starting salary pegged to that of FCH range). This is also probably why PGDE cohorts usually come from NTU/NUS/SMU

2) on avg, how long does it take to promote from 1 GEO to another GEO? eg GEO 2 to GEO 3...
There are various factors with regards to promotion. You may wish to wait for the more experienced teachers to advise you on this. However, I would say that things may be slightly different from the old system yet again because of the new pay scale.

Any one out there care to advise on (2)?

Unregistered 18-07-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 88583)
Any one out there care to advise on (2)?

Should be ~2 years...

Unregistered 26-07-2016 10:51 PM

Moonlighting (beyond tuition)
 
Hi all,

Would like to seek advice - if you moonlight 6 hours a week, but not tuition related - is that still somewhat okay?

I quote the very old and oft quoted statement: "Teachers are allowed to take up part-time employment outside school hours, including giving private tuition, only if it does not detract them from the official duties assigned in school. The Ministry's guideline is that such part-time employment should not exceed 6 hours a week."

From: s://.moe.gov.sg/media/forum/2004/11102004.htm

Anyone knows anyone who has done something similar? Just wondering since a side job opportunity came up, and it is also an area I am interested in besides teaching. That being said, I still have a bond/contract to complete.

Thanks :)

Unregistered 26-07-2016 11:41 PM

is it too late for me to join MOE as a teacher if my age is around 35 to 40 years old?

Unregistered 27-07-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88861)
is it too late for me to join MOE as a teacher if my age is around 35 to 40 years old?

I don't think it is too late because I have colleagues around the same age which joined after mid-career switch. However, having said that, we face an extremely unfavorable job market this year with many young graduates turning to teaching as their first choice (unable to secure jobs in other sectors). Hence, unless you have relevant experience, chances might be extremely slim since competition is stiffer than usual.

Good luck!

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 28-07-2016 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88860)
Hi all,

Would like to seek advice - if you moonlight 6 hours a week, but not tuition related - is that still somewhat okay?

I quote the very old and oft quoted statement: "Teachers are allowed to take up part-time employment outside school hours, including giving private tuition, only if it does not detract them from the official duties assigned in school. The Ministry's guideline is that such part-time employment should not exceed 6 hours a week."

From: s://.moe.gov.sg/media/forum/2004/11102004.htm

Anyone knows anyone who has done something similar? Just wondering since a side job opportunity came up, and it is also an area I am interested in besides teaching. That being said, I still have a bond/contract to complete.

Thanks :)


The short answer I can tell you is, if it is genuinely 6 hours a week, then you are safe. Because aside from tuition, I can't really think of any other moonlighting stuff that can keep within this tight boundary. But I hope that you don't be like some of my friends. They started to give more priority to this "moonlight" as compared to their admin duties.. And that, I firmly believe is ethically wrong :)

In light of that, honestly MOE won't be able to find out how many hours per week are you spending on your side job stuff. Hence it is more of integrity and balance. How passionate are you towards teaching vs towards your side job and how much can you commit outside of school without shortchanging your students?

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 28-07-2016 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88878)
I don't think it is too late because I have colleagues around the same age which joined after mid-career switch. However, having said that, we face an extremely unfavorable job market this year with many young graduates turning to teaching as their first choice (unable to secure jobs in other sectors). Hence, unless you have relevant experience, chances might be extremely slim since competition is stiffer than usual.

Good luck!

That I agree with you. But must remember there are also genuinely passionate young graduates out there who chose teaching from the start, like me. HAHA :)

Anyway, I feel that the wheat will always be separated from the chaff. Those who do not truly have a passion in it, will suffer a lot, and will leave eventually.

Back to the question. For mid-career switch, usually the salary package etc differs for each individual. This would depend on their years of experience in the previous workplace, position, etc. Exact details are confidential so I wouldn't know. But there are some previous posts with people sharing how much they are getting from a mid-career switch to teaching so you may want to scroll back and have a look.

Unregistered 28-07-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 88890)
That I agree with you. But must remember there are also genuinely passionate young graduates out there who chose teaching from the start, like me. HAHA :)

Anyway, I feel that the wheat will always be separated from the chaff. Those who do not truly have a passion in it, will suffer a lot, and will leave eventually.

Opps, sorry for the poor phrasing! I was referring to the unusual surge in applicants as compared to the norm due to poor market outlook.

Yes, I couldn't agree more with you on that point. People without passion really tend to leave quite quickly compared to those with passion. And there are some people who do mid-career switch to teaching for an "easier career to have more time to spend with their kids" but soon realise that's not true at all, haha


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2