Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

miwashi 03-03-2012 11:26 AM

Yes, I'm all for the school of thought that feels that passion for teaching and making an impact that can change kids lives overwhelms other things, but in Singapore the powers that be feel otherwise. I think singapore's cultural development would advance very rapidly if they would see beyond this facade and really start recruiting all those with the passion to do this, regardless of what they do in their own personal time.

Unregistered 27-03-2012 04:30 PM

I want to be a teacher
 
Hi, I am from IT banking sector, and only have S$6k after 13 years of work.
I got Masters in IT from NUS and I do not smoke, do not club, do not curse, very clean.
I am a mother and I would like to share my work experience in class.

Anybody know when the next MOE recruitment talk will be?
I look forward to a respected life as a English/Maths teacher.
I know it is hard work, but for the hardwork, I believe I make a difference to
Singapore. Because deep down, I still love my country.

Can I get $4.7 after NIE?

In Banking sector, you only get outsourced for your hardwork. haha.

Unregistered 27-03-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22931)
I look forward to a respected life as a English/Maths teacher.
I know it is hard work, but for the hardwork, I believe I make a difference to
Singapore. Because deep down, I still love my country.

Erm... respected? Good luck dealing with students, parents and old bird teachers who will give you plent of "respect".

Join teaching only if you truly love teaching, do not join with some pie in the sky idea just because you are are sick of entertaining your boss, colleagues or pacifying your customers. It ain't any better on the teaching side.

Unregistered 27-03-2012 05:10 PM

can get 6k after 5 years? that is alot...Any teachers to verify




Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 21662)
That is true.. a lot of my peers same age or younger than me are getting something like 6 k after teaching 5 years. Their pay scale seems above average. They also have this thing called professional development time where they can take some time off every year to go for professional level courses.


Unregistered 27-03-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22933)
Erm... respected? Good luck dealing with students, parents and old bird teachers who will give you plent of "respect".

Join teaching only if you truly love teaching, do not join with some pie in the sky idea just because you are are sick of entertaining your boss, colleagues or pacifying your customers. It ain't any better on the teaching side.

Then how do I convince others that I want to be a teacher?
Can I just say: "I love teaching, and yes, I know it is the worst jobs in the world but I still love it?" Please advise. I sincerely want to know.

Unregistered 27-03-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22940)
Then how do I convince others that I want to be a teacher?
Can I just say: "I love teaching, and yes, I know it is the worst jobs in the world but I still love it?" Please advise. I sincerely want to know.

Just go ahead and apply. What I know is they are looking out for people who are thinking of a mid-career switch.

Unregistered 27-03-2012 11:14 PM

Sure or not? 6k after 5 years is quite a hefty sum. I thought only military personnel hit that kind of payscale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22936)
can get 6k after 5 years? that is alot...Any teachers to verify


Advisor 28-03-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22974)
Sure or not? 6k after 5 years is quite a hefty sum. I thought only military personnel hit that kind of payscale.

I joined teaching as mid career entrant in 2005.That time my pay given was $3548 and a couple of promotions in grade later,in 2010 my pay increased to $6025.Not exactly within 5 years but thereabouts.Anyway,I retired in Dec 2011 having achieved financial freedom from a combination of frugality and hard work plus investments over the years that paid off handsomely.I am currently deriving income from a combination of these investments.But having said that,teaching is perhaps one of the more demanding career in the civil service.Do consider very carefully.

Unregistered 28-03-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advisor (Post 22982)
I joined teaching as mid career entrant in 2005.That time my pay given was $3548 and a couple of promotions in grade later,in 2010 my pay increased to $6025.Not exactly within 5 years but thereabouts.Anyway,I retired in Dec 2011 having achieved financial freedom from a combination of frugality and hard work plus investments over the years that paid off handsomely.I am currently deriving income from a combination of these investments.But having said that,teaching is perhaps one of the more demanding career in the civil service.Do consider very carefully.

Wow. How old are you now?

Advisor 28-03-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22984)
Wow. How old are you now?

Hi,I am already approaching 39 very soon.I am leading a very balanced life right now.Spending time with family and finding the time to exercise.In addition I have time for personal development i.e. Reading widely on whole range of topics that interest me.But I need to emphasize I live a simple lifestyle.HDB and driving 1.5l japanese car.Therefore I don't need a lot of money.The place I am staying is fully paid and my child's education is provided for sufficiently.Having said that I was pretty sharp and decisive with investments taking bit of risks along with them.But I was proven right most of the time :) That is why I am able to retire from full time fixed salary work before the age of 40.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2