Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 12-11-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75022)
Has anyone been shortlisted for the PGDE interview (Oct/Nov interview slots) for secondary school yet?

Hi there. I applied in the same application window as you, and I hadn't hear anything yet. How about you?

Unregistered 12-11-2015 08:18 PM

Teaching so competitive one ah?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75026)
If you are aiming to become HOD or VP in the future then you need consistent B- to B+ with the occasional A- performance.

Generally it is almost impossible to get this sort of rating unless you take up a lot of additional projects with increased visibility or have prominent nation wide achievements in building up some sort of CCA. In short, be prepared for lots of OT and weekend burns.

Teaching alone is probably going to get you mostly C/C+ with an occasional B- or B and that is only if you are really good.

Before you get all pumped up wanting to be superscale principal, I advise you to consider whether the long hours and playing politics are worth it. There are many people who burn countless weekends and midnights and all they could get in the end was just a subject head or HOD whose pay is only slightly higher than an experienced senior teacher.

Unregistered 12-11-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75034)
Hi there. I applied in the same application window as you, and I hadn't hear anything yet. How about you?

Nope, have not heard anything yet. Starting to get a bit worried as 20Nov is drawing near. All the best and hope we get called soon!

Unregistered 12-11-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75059)
Teaching so competitive one ah?

Actually in many sec Sachs, turnover is so high that almost every teacher who wants to be a SH can be one sooner or later

Unregistered 12-11-2015 10:37 PM

I am thinking of doing a mid career switch to teaching, but it sounds like some really tough job where almost anyone can get burnt out. Its strange because some of my friends seem to be enjoying every teaching day. But looking at the high turnover rate, it does make one worry abt making the switch, since its rather hard to "switch out" after fulfilling the bond.

Unregistered 11-12-2015 06:29 PM

GEO scale for degree holders

Hi guys, I have just received the letter of contract from MOE for an untrained teaching stint for Music(Pri) before I go into NIE. However, I am placed on the GEO 2 scale. As I understand, shouldn't degree holders be on the GEO 1 scale? Or are all untrained teachers placed on GEO 2 by default before they go NIE?

Unregistered 11-12-2015 10:38 PM

just no molest students will do

Unregistered 12-12-2015 12:37 PM

GEO2 to GEO1

hey. Same here.
How come degree holder will be place in GEO 1?
If have been place in GEO2, is there any chance to become GEO 1 after training?

Unregistered 14-12-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76781)
hey. Same here.
How come degree holder will be place in GEO 1?
If have been place in GEO2, is there any chance to become GEO 1 after training?

Lol, you made a mistake. The salary scale, which was implemented in Oct, is in an ascending order. So GEO 1 > GEO 2 > GEO 3 etc. Diploma holders and non-recognized degree holders are recruited as GEO 1.

If you're a degree holder, you'll be recruited as GEO 2 (Untrained). After you complete your NIE training, you will be GEO 2 and your pay will be slightly raised.

Unregistered 23-12-2015 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76833)
Lol, you made a mistake. The salary scale, which was implemented in Oct, is in an ascending order. So GEO 1 > GEO 2 > GEO 3 etc. Diploma holders and non-recognized degree holders are recruited as GEO 1.

If you're a degree holder, you'll be recruited as GEO 2 (Untrained). After you complete your NIE training, you will be GEO 2 and your pay will be slightly raised.

But this is what I found on MOE website
"You will receive a monthly salary while undergoing NIE training. Your tuition fee at NIE will be fully borne by MOE. Upon successful completion of NIE training, you will be deployed to teach in our schools to serve a 3-year teaching bond (for Dip Ed-trained candidates). The salaries for GEO 2 officers are as follows:" Hmmm it seems that GEO 1 is for degree holder.

And also, I don't see anyone here applying for math/physics/Chem/bio(Sec). Not even in other forums. I guess it's true that they don't have vacancy in sec for math/sci. And hence either no one apply or no one was shortlisted for interview