Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 22-08-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180611)
Not the poster. I think he/she/it is asking “how” not “why” do teachers deserve better. Anyway, I think teachers need more space for their marking. 40 students’ essays x 15 min of marking = 600 min = 6-7 hours. Multiply by 5 classes. In any given week, you need 35 hours to mark 1 essay for 5 classes. And that’s assuming you spend 15 min. Some poorly written work needs more than that.

35 hours in a week… assuming you finish work by 5pm, head home, and start marking after dinner with family at 9pm, sleep at 11.30pm (must sleep early hor). Where got time???

How about PE teachers? Since they have no marking load, do they do other additional duties?

Unregistered 22-08-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180769)
How about PE teachers? Since they have no marking load, do they do other additional duties?

Guess who plans and executes the post-exam activities while the acad subject teachers are marking furiously?

Only one example. PE teachers generally don't slack. They are given sufficient workload to earn their pay.

Unregistered 22-08-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180783)
Guess who plans and executes the post-exam activities while the acad subject teachers are marking furiously?

Only one example. PE teachers generally don't slack. They are given sufficient workload to earn their pay.

Pe teachers also bear more risk when teaching. If students get injured… who do you think answers?

Unregistered 22-08-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

All teachers have their own responsibilities. Silly to suggest that others are doing less just because they don't have marking, or papers to set.

Unregistered 22-08-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Pe teachers must remember to ask girls to do push ups so you can downblouse them

Unregistered 23-08-2021 05:05 AM

Its due time for a pay rise.

Last pay rise for these overworked underpaid teachers was 6 years ago. Think give it another 4 years, we deserve a pay rise soon yea?

Unregistered 23-08-2021 05:07 AM

Career progression

I am a TA currently in university. Was trying to plan my career progression in terms of position ibstead of rank. Do yall think it is reasonable to be a SH in 3 years, HOD in another 3 years. After 2 years of being HOD, do a HQ posting for 2 years and then be VP/P. Essentially I want to start earning 10k at SEO level within 10 years.

Unregistered 23-08-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180898)
I am a TA currently in university. Was trying to plan my career progression in terms of position ibstead of rank. Do yall think it is reasonable to be a SH in 3 years, HOD in another 3 years. After 2 years of being HOD, do a HQ posting for 2 years and then be VP/P. Essentially I want to start earning 10k at SEO level within 10 years.

Think can, have faith in you!

Unregistered 23-08-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180899)
Think can, have faith in you!

Unlikely. Luck comes into play. So many driven young people in this workforce.

Unregistered 23-08-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180898)

May not be very realistic given the excess surplus of teachers in the teaching service.
There are also not many leadership positions, pretty saturated.
Even normal promotion among teachers have slowed down significantly in recent years.

Teaching is really about the heart, not about money and power. If you want to be successful in terms of your career, then maybe other jobs out there would be more suitable.