Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 02-02-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200785)
My wife used to envy my teaching job because I sometimes enjoy half day work, i.e come back after 1pm or so.

Now, with WFH becoming a norm for other industries, I think the teaching job has become comparatively worse. =)

Teaching has never been an end by 1 pm, esp if you're in sec sch with all the CCAs, meetings, consultations, etc. etc.

Recently during pandemic, my husband who is now FAJT in his old school saw tremendous changes. Old timer teachers suddenly resign, and the attrition rate also increases. Some of his colleagues who went for cross-level deployment also quit. He receives a lot of offers to teach in schools in Dec, as well as mid-January this year. He is pretty dedicated to his old school so he just stays there. He is feeling a bit down when he saw empty tables in his school where his friends used to be.

Unregistered 02-02-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201028)
Teaching has never been an end by 1 pm, esp if you're in sec sch with all the CCAs, meetings, consultations, etc. etc.

Recently during pandemic, my husband who is now FAJT in his old school saw tremendous changes. Old timer teachers suddenly resign, and the attrition rate also increases. Some of his colleagues who went for cross-level deployment also quit. He receives a lot of offers to teach in schools in Dec, as well as mid-January this year. He is pretty dedicated to his old school so he just stays there. He is feeling a bit down when he saw empty tables in his school where his friends used to be.

As stated, if teaching was never that good, as some people say here, it has become comparatively even worse now, with other professions being able to work from home, while teachers have no options on that.

So not a surprise your husband saw "tremendous changes".

Unregistered 02-02-2022 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201036)
As stated, if teaching was never that good, as some people say here, it has become comparatively even worse now, with other professions being able to work from home, while teachers have no options on that.

So not a surprise your husband saw "tremendous changes".

It was worse for him during the pandemic. It is unrealistic to conduct a proper lesson in front of 30++ students. I can see from afar some of them not paying attention. In terms of teaching, he feels better to be in classroom compared to Zoom.

Teaching is really a calling. Important to be more empathetic amongst the teaching fraternity.

Unregistered 02-02-2022 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201028)
Teaching has never been an end by 1 pm, esp if you're in sec sch with all the CCAs, meetings, consultations, etc. etc.

Recently during pandemic, my husband who is now FAJT in his old school saw tremendous changes. Old timer teachers suddenly resign, and the attrition rate also increases. Some of his colleagues who went for cross-level deployment also quit. He receives a lot of offers to teach in schools in Dec, as well as mid-January this year. He is pretty dedicated to his old school so he just stays there. He is feeling a bit down when he saw empty tables in his school where his friends used to be.

Agreed with you my secondary school in the east also has many colleagues leaving. Have wanted to leave. But canít bear to leave behind the perks of seeing so many students zao geng panty everyday. Have been seeing it for the past 10 years. If I change job that is probably what I will miss the most.

Unregistered 04-02-2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201045)
Agreed with you my secondary school in the east also has many colleagues leaving. Have wanted to leave. But canít bear to leave behind the perks of seeing so many students zao geng panty everyday. Have been seeing it for the past 10 years. If I change job that is probably what I will miss the most.

its a choice everyone has to make. not easy to find a balance.

Unregistered 04-02-2022 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201044)

Teaching is really a calling. Important to be more empathetic amongst the teaching fraternity.

Always curious about people using this phrase "Teaching is really a calling".

Does that somehow justify low pay, poor working conditions etc for teachers?

Perhaps if we dropped this cliche statement, the life of teachers will start to improve?

Unregistered 04-02-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201335)
Always curious about people using this phrase "Teaching is really a calling".

Does that somehow justify low pay, poor working conditions etc for teachers?

Perhaps if we dropped this cliche statement, the life of teachers will start to improve?

parents are a key contributor to all these..

Unregistered 04-02-2022 05:17 PM

Itís a very pathetic situation where the higher-ups only care about scholars (and higher-ups are also scholars themselves), but left with farmers grinding and exploited with little returns.

Unregistered 04-02-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201378)
Itís a very pathetic situation where the higher-ups only care about scholars (and higher-ups are also scholars themselves), but left with farmers grinding and exploited with little returns.

morale of the story: dont be a specialist where job mobility becomes issues

Unregistered 04-02-2022 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201335)
Always curious about people using this phrase "Teaching is really a calling".

Does that somehow justify low pay, poor working conditions etc for teachers?

Perhaps if we dropped this cliche statement, the life of teachers will start to improve?

The worst one is still "if so unhappy then leave service, there are many people queueing up to join".

So it's okay to perpetuate the shabby treatment of the bulk of the non-scholar, non-privileged teaching force.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2