Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 31-10-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148398)
When I was a scholarship holder, i received $1000 a month for allowance. The schoalrship also paid for my hostel and overseas exchange. It is certainly enough for you to be independent.

I'm sure there are many teachers with tattoos who are mroally upright or have good character. That said, if your tattoos are not visible, it should not be an issue. After all, how often do we bare our torsos while teaching?

True true.

I guess my concern was that it might affect career progression if its something that needs to be declared and the potential stigma associated by bosses

Thanks for replying btw

Unregistered 01-11-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148310)
Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Many thanks for anyone that helps :)

Most of the people with tatt who I know tend to want to flaunt their artwork. If there comes a day when students or parents stumble upon such posts of yours, it will definitely raise an eyebrow. If the tatt is merely for your eyes and you don’t particular love social attention, you will be fine. I have a colleague with tatt, not obvious, but she has revealed it a few times. Of course it did become talk of the town, ok exaggerated, but nothing adverse happens.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:51 AM

Those who applied for lessened workload due to family commitments...
What do u negotiate for? Like no cca? Not sure what to expect.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:52 AM

Why do some say it take 2.5 years to promote from 3 to 4?
I have seen so many take almost 10 years to get promoted.

And no no D. Just that the promotion is slow.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148495)
Why do some say it take 2.5 years to promote from 3 to 4?
I have seen so many take almost 10 years to get promoted.

And no no D. Just that the promotion is slow.

Because it happens. But the pre-requisite is that the school must trust the geo3 officer enough to stretch their deployment a bit.

First and foremost, the school should not be left worrying about their T&L. Not 100% perfect, but already of a high standard and able to independently reflect and constantly seek self-improvement.

Then they must show ability to handle more things on their plate. Some schools test their promising geo3s by deploying them similarly to a geo4 or 5. This means double committees (including potentially 2ic of one), higher profile committees like student leadership, discipline, exams, etc., key roles in functional comms, CCA head, special programmes coordinators, sending them for cluster/zone/national sharing or to join NLCs.

And we all know that to be promoted, you must show potential to work effectively at the higher level.

In order to get the school to 'overload' a geo3, the school must trust that the young officer has his/her basics down. The basics must come automatically and with less effort compared to a BT. If they are still shaky during lesson obs, resources messy, cannot keep up with T&L responsibilities, tardy with single comm/single CCA work, then they can forget about being over-deployed with the intention of testing their readiness for promotion.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148517)
Because it happens. But the pre-requisite is that the school must trust the geo3 officer enough to stretch their deployment a bit.

First and foremost, the school should not be left worrying about their T&L. Not 100% perfect, but already of a high standard and able to independently reflect and constantly seek self-improvement.

Then they must show ability to handle more things on their plate. Some schools test their promising geo3s by deploying them similarly to a geo4 or 5. This means double committees (including potentially 2ic of one), higher profile committees like student leadership, discipline, exams, etc., key roles in functional comms, CCA head, special programmes coordinators, sending them for cluster/zone/national sharing or to join NLCs.

And we all know that to be promoted, you must show potential to work effectively at the higher level.

In order to get the school to 'overload' a geo3, the school must trust that the young officer has his/her basics down. The basics must come automatically and with less effort compared to a BT. If they are still shaky during lesson obs, resources messy, cannot keep up with T&L responsibilities, tardy with single comm/single CCA work, then they can forget about being over-deployed with the intention of testing their readiness for promotion.

Actually, who makes the decision? RO? SLs? What do they base it on? That the officer seems to be doing alright? Or CEP? Seems to be rather subjective also~

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Actually, who makes the decision? RO? SLs? What do they base it on? That the officer seems to be doing alright? Or CEP? Seems to be rather subjective also~

Unregistered 02-11-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148494)
Those who applied for lessened workload due to family commitments...
What do u negotiate for? Like no cca? Not sure what to expect.

This is pay cut. Depending how your school deems. Common is 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 load. But your pay also cut by 1/2, 1/3, 1/4.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 08:48 PM

This is a well written summary!

Get the T&L & TSR basics done right, and further opportunities may come!

Quote:

Unregistered 03-11-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Actually I agree with you to some extent. But in a small school where everyone is stretched to the max and everyone doing leadership roles... is difficult to tell the potential or rather to promote everyone. I knew of those who are being stretched to do leadership roles and stuff are also taking a long time to promote while some I don't know why are lucky to get promoted and maybe doing lesser than those who are given more responsibilities. And everyone's abilities are about the same.

And no all are not scholars. I've seen a colleague taking 2 years to promote and 1 took 10 years to promote. They are of the same age. Both taking leadership roles. So just wondering how they determine and what is the norm from 3 to 4.