Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 09-07-2023 01:19 PM

My friend was from the NIE route. After his 7th year of service and got his GEO5, he transferred to HQ with a salary of 8.5k excluding bonus. Apparently you may be paid a premium being in HQ compared to teaching.

Unregistered 09-07-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251899)
Personally, as someone who has been to hq, it depends on whether you prefer to deal with students or adults , and whether you prefer office life or teaching. I did a 3 year hq stint and hated it - some branches can be very toxic, long hours, little work life balance and although I got Bs every year in HQ, don't think my career prospects improved much at all after. There is enhanced posting for hq officers so I guess there's a higher chance you can get posted out as a KP or ST (which I did, posted out as KP)
In retrospect, I should have just gone to another school and gotten internally groomed and promoted to a KP. It's more about plant yourself where you will bloom, honestly. Look for a high needs school where you can showcase your capability.

Just curious, were you a KP when you post to HQ or become a KP through enhanced posting?

Unregistered 09-07-2023 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251901)
Apparently you may be paid a premium being in HQ compared to teaching.

Being posted to HQ will not automatically bump your pay on its own. You will still be on the same pay scales as EOs in schools. You will get your usual merit increment and/or promotion increments in April.

A pay bump while in HQ could have been from RA due to holding leadership appointments (e.g. Asst Director), or being emplaced on FLP.

Unregistered 09-07-2023 04:43 PM

Quote:

My friend was from the NIE route. After his 7th year of service and got his GEO5, he transferred to HQ with a salary of 8.5k excluding bonus. Apparently you may be paid a premium being in HQ compared to teaching.

"My friend".... 😂

Unregistered 09-07-2023 06:18 PM

Quote:

GEO 5 ceiling is lower than 8.5k. Those in HQ will be appraised accordingly with the rest of the officers in the same subgrade, just like how it is done in school. Seriously doubt the authenticity of this post.

Unregistered 09-07-2023 06:48 PM

Quote:

I’m this OP. correction, said friend is GEO5A instead which definitely fits his current 8.5k salary.

Unregistered 09-07-2023 07:02 PM

Hi, anyone able to share with me, the pros and cons of being a KP?
Really want to weigh the difference before making some decisions. Thank you in advance for all inputs

Unregistered 09-07-2023 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251922)
I’m this OP. correction, said friend is GEO5A instead which definitely fits his current 8.5k salary.

1. Have to clarify if your friend is a mid-career switch. Look at the previous list of reported compensations; for 7 YOE a 8.5k salary is not plausible.

2. Agree with another commenter above. HQ posting does not come with added salary. We are still paid on the GEO scale. (In fact, I hear that MX scheme may start with lower base salary than GEO scheme.)

Unregistered 09-07-2023 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251899)
Personally, as someone who has been to hq, it depends on whether you prefer to deal with students or adults , and whether you prefer office life or teaching. I did a 3 year hq stint and hated it - some branches can be very toxic, long hours, little work life balance and although I got Bs every year in HQ, don't think my career prospects improved much at all after. There is enhanced posting for hq officers so I guess there's a higher chance you can get posted out as a KP or ST (which I did, posted out as KP)
In retrospect, I should have just gone to another school and gotten internally groomed and promoted to a KP. It's more about plant yourself where you will bloom, honestly. Look for a high needs school where you can showcase your capability.

High needs usually means must be willing to do cross-level already. Nowadays so many dead weights saturating the top positions. Hard to find places to plant yourself.

Unregistered 09-07-2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251926)
1. Have to clarify if your friend is a mid-career switch. Look at the previous list of reported compensations; for 7 YOE a 8.5k salary is not plausible.

2. Agree with another commenter above. HQ posting does not come with added salary. We are still paid on the GEO scale. (In fact, I hear that MX scheme may start with lower base salary than GEO scheme.)

Nope not a mid-career switch! He must have gotten a premium to join HQ otherwise not sure why he would be drawing 8.5. He was drawing 7ish before the move to HQ.