Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-08-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181217)
What is the average salary range for an average performer? Assuming if can hit SEO1 by early 40s

In reality, average performers will not reach SEO 1

Unregistered 26-08-2021 07:08 PM

Then the max for average farmer will be GEO5? Getting abt 150k annual?

Unregistered 26-08-2021 08:50 PM

Salary scales have been shared before - you can try searching for them in this thread.

GEO5 caps at 7845. Average annual might be around 14.5 months (12 months + 13th month + 1.25-1.5 months average C). That will be more like 114k.

Not sure what age an average performer can expect to hit this, though. And this is excluding the variable mid/end year civil service bonus, and of course the CONNECT plan payouts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181289)
Then the max for average farmer will be GEO5? Getting abt 150k annual?

Unregistered222 27-08-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180898)
I am a TA currently in university. Was trying to plan my career progression in terms of position ibstead of rank. Do yall think it is reasonable to be a SH in 3 years, HOD in another 3 years. After 2 years of being HOD, do a HQ posting for 2 years and then be VP/P. Essentially I want to start earning 10k at SEO level within 10 years.

lol I think you can start looking for a new job

Unregistered 27-08-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181295)
Salary scales have been shared before - you can try searching for them in this thread.

GEO5 caps at 7845. Average annual might be around 14.5 months (12 months + 13th month + 1.25-1.5 months average C). That will be more like 114k.

Not sure what age an average performer can expect to hit this, though. And this is excluding the variable mid/end year civil service bonus, and of course the CONNECT plan payouts.

The cap is much higher than this

Unregistered 27-08-2021 10:33 PM

Ranking

When is ranking usually carried out? Is it already done for this year?

Unregistered 27-08-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181395)
When is ranking usually carried out? Is it already done for this year?

around this period. My sch just finished today

Unregistered 28-08-2021 09:59 AM

Hello, I know performance grades do not automatically affect potential ranking, but does getting higher grades like B or even A help when ranking panel is considering?

On a separate note, is there a minimum quota for A grades during panel meetings? Or do schools choose to award only in exceptional cases, which emans sometimes the highest grade is only a B?

Unregistered 28-08-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180898)
I am a TA currently in university. Was trying to plan my career progression in terms of position ibstead of rank. Do yall think it is reasonable to be a SH in 3 years, HOD in another 3 years. After 2 years of being HOD, do a HQ posting for 2 years and then be VP/P. Essentially I want to start earning 10k at SEO level within 10 years.

If you really manage to become a HOD, VP or P within a small number of years, your subgrade may lag behind because of the slowed down pace of promotions across the service. So you may end up being a GEO4 HOD, or GEO5 VP still waiting for promotion.

And even if you do get promoted to SEO grades quickly, your actual salary point may be near the bottom of those scales, so it might be 7 to 9k instead of >10k. To rise through the salary points quickly, there is really no shortcut except years and years of solid merit increments in between your promotion years.

Later on when you take on management responsibilities as a young RO, you may realise that even though you are a KP, some of your JHs (direct reports) who have served many more years than you are earning more than you. It is common to see SEO1s who were promoted fast earning much less than seasoned GEO4/5s.

Unregistered 28-08-2021 12:26 PM

Feeling a bit jaded.
I love teaching and the satisfaction of seeing my students succeed, and the sense of fulfillment from helping them with their issues outside of academics.
But the sheer amount of (meaningless, irrelevant) admin work and slow progression (earning just 5k+ at 31, laughable annual increment) makes me think of jumping out of teaching.

What are some viable careers if I were to leave teaching? Could someone share some of their own experience or perhaps what they've seen others do successfully once they have left teaching?