Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 29-03-2022 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210979)
Take a fresh grad starting first job as moe teacher with cep at geo5 as example. Is it still worth staying on this job if he hits geo5 at early 40s and his pay staying stagnant for the rest of the years until retirement? Given that there are limited kp positions, this is a very true problem that young teachers will face and hence should start considering early.

Unlikely fresh degree grad cep is only geo5. Min is seo1/seo2

Unregistered 29-03-2022 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210995)
Unlikely fresh degree grad cep is only geo5. Min is seo1/seo2

Bro you're of touch. All fresh grad that come in have a CEP of geo5 until they prove to the ranking panel that they are deserving of a higher CEP. Only higher tier scholars are given a higher CEP. Everyone else from TSL and below start as a farmer.

Unregistered 29-03-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210979)
Take a fresh grad starting first job as moe teacher with cep at geo5 as example. Is it still worth staying on this job if he hits geo5 at early 40s and his pay staying stagnant for the rest of the years until retirement? Given that there are limited kp positions, this is a very true problem that young teachers will face and hence should start considering early.

I think the vast majority of HOTs will be happy to hit geo5 earlier, rather than later, regardless of their prospects beyond geo5.

I'd rather sit at the geo5 ceiling for years than take forever to reach that ceiling in the first place. Earn more over the same period of time, for doing essentially the same job. All HOTs from geo3 to geo5 are basically doing the same job anyway. The only ones doing more are young KPs that HR refuses to promote quickly to SEO grades.

Unregistered 29-03-2022 11:06 AM

Anyone got called for oyea/pat interview

Unregistered 29-03-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211037)
Anyone got called for oyea/pat interview

I was also curious when they will announce the shortlisted candidates?
I was nominated by school and yet to receive news. :)

Unregistered 29-03-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210977)
Any kps here can share how is ur workload like compared to normal teachers? Kps have less teaching load, more free periods for admin. What time do u usually end work? Need to work on weekends? Compared to normal teachers who have full teaching load and at the same time, need to do admin & run after school programmes, do u still think being a kp makes u more busy?

KP here. 11 years in service

Teaching load only slightly lower.

Usually 5-6pm

Weekends? Yes. But not all the time. Some admin here and there.

Definitely more busy as a KP than when I was a teacher. Yes plenty of admin and programmes under my purview. Managing students as well. Differs from portfolio to portfolio. To each their own. If you find fulfilment in the role then it’ll seem worth it. Else you’ll find it a chore.

Unregistered 29-03-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Any kps here can share how is ur workload like compared to normal teachers? Kps have less teaching load, more free periods for admin. What time do u usually end work? Need to work on weekends? Compared to normal teachers who have full teaching load and at the same time, need to do admin & run after school programmes, do u still think being a kp makes u more busy?

Hod will have less teaching periods, SH/LH may or may not be the case, depending on school’s needs. Between heads and SH/LH, it really depends on how garang the hod is. Sometimes they might tai chi all the work to the SH/LH and ST, at times they will walk the talk. Most will also have JHs (except YH/AYH) to mentor. For work appraisal, I would say that it is not a part that takes up too much of your time, except during the ranking period.

On top of your normal duty to teach, you will also will need to plan and manage dept work, conduct book check, attend exco meeting, perform additional duty such as being CPE/IPE/EPE, take charge of newsletter/open house etc.

In my years being a head, I find that how busy a KP or normal teacher is depends heavily on the following:
1) time management
I’ve seen many teachers spending excessive time chitchatting. In addition, one will need to be efficient to clear marking promptly.
2) ability to say no
Taking on various small stuff here and there will drain you of your energy and you might not even be appreciated of your work.
3) having a good dept head/RO
It is important for work delegation to be fair and adequate enough to bring out the potential of the individuals.

The main perk of being a KP is you can be part of the ranking panel. That leaves less chances for evils to stab you in the back.

Unregistered 29-03-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211030)
I think the vast majority of HOTs will be happy to hit geo5 earlier, rather than later, regardless of their prospects beyond geo5.

I'd rather sit at the geo5 ceiling for years than take forever to reach that ceiling in the first place. Earn more over the same period of time, for doing essentially the same job. All HOTs from geo3 to geo5 are basically doing the same job anyway. The only ones doing more are young KPs that HR refuses to promote quickly to SEO grades.

So is it worth it to sit on the geo5 ceiling for years, with no career and salary progression, but need to deal with the increasing workload? Would it be better to recognise this hard truth early and leave the service for better progression?

Unregistered 29-03-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

I am a KP with no reduced teaching load. Ending work beyond 6pm practically everyday but I try not to work on weekends because I need a life

Unregistered 29-03-2022 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210777)
Degree holder or not, 9 years as geo2 is super slow

I agree. Esp since PB A and (I assume) never gotten a D? That's ridiculous.